Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2015, 06:34   #586
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
A word of caution to both of you, especially for "y2ksrs" based on your wife's driving experience :

The Nano has a very broad 'A' pillar. Entire cars and bikes are concealed from the driver's vision because of the A pillar.

After nearly 5 years of driving this car, I can confidently say that this 'A' pillar by itself is enough to make this car unsuitable for new drivers.

Please make it a habit to move your body and head forwards and backwards at every Chowk / intersection and check for incoming traffic.
Thanks John Doe. Will definitely ask her to make note of this
y2ksrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 13:03   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
A word of caution to both of you, especially for "y2ksrs" based on your wife's driving experience :

The Nano has a very broad 'A' pillar. Entire cars and bikes are concealed from the driver's vision because of the A pillar.

After nearly 5 years of driving this car, I can confidently say that this 'A' pillar by itself is enough to make this car unsuitable for new drivers.

Please make it a habit to move your body and head forwards and backwards at every Chowk / intersection and check for incoming traffic.
Thanks for that word of advice!! I owned a Wagon R previously. It also has the same A pillar problem. I got used to Nano's A pillar in a day
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:19   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
I booked a GenX Nano XTA Dazzle Blue colour at CONCORDE OMR today. The car is for my for my wife. Waiting time given is 8-12 weeks. Absolutely no discount given, even corporate discount for a TCS employee!! Would be happy if the car is delivered before Christmas, but the SA was non-comittal. The TD and booking experience was good, not great, yet not bad either. The SA (Mr. Vijay) was pretty knowledgable about the car and explained every thing very well. The car is very easy to drive and my wife went gung-ho over the golf cart size car. It was the first time she was ever behind the wheels of a car and she absolutely loved it.

Can't wait for the car to be delivered. With Magneti Marelli setting up an additional plant for the AMT boxes in Manesar, is there a possibility that the waiting time on the Nano AMT will come down?
I got a call from VST Motors T.Nagar this morning about the interest I had shown earlier for the Nano. Guys said availability of the AMT has improved and can be obtained in around 1.5 months now. I have asked the person to call back with details on offers for November (there is some Diwali deal) which they will know within another couple of days. I hope its the Magneti Marelli plant coming on steam with better availability. However their capacity was mentioned to be 120000 units per year which will be split across the various AMT models from Maruti and Tata.
Old 2nd November 2015, 17:23   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Guys said availability of the AMT has improved and can be obtained in around 1.5 months now. I have asked the person to call back with details on offers for November (there is some Diwali deal) which they will know within another couple of days
Yes, I guess availability has improved and AMT waiting has been quoted as 4-6 weeks by a dealer here in Bangalore. But they are unwilling to give any offers / discounts on the AMT (not even corporate discount).

One other dealer that I was in touch with quoted 10-12 weeks and a corporate discount of 3k - however, this was about 2 weeks back.
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 15:30   #590
BHPian

Just wanted to share the nano amt's prowess !! Yesterday, amidst very heavy downpour in Bangalore, the nano amt was really put to acid test. There was water above the bumper level near jayamahal under bridge, my nano amt just waded through water !! I am pretty sure the water was above the exhaust level. Then going forward towards vasanthanagar, I got into a ditch which was about a feet deep, The right side of nano was in a pit literally, to my shock I heard some stone rubbing against the bottom of my nano . I thought I am stranded and tried accelerating but the vehicle was not coming out. I kept trying and after about a couple of attempts, to my surprise the vehicle came out and I could drive back home !! All this in continous downpour

When I went home, I was thinking the oil sump or under body is damaged due to the stone impact. But, to my surprise could not see any !! There is a slight dent on the chasis though !! will get the underbody up on a ramp tomorrow to just check. But was surprised with nano's ability although people think it is just an auto rickshaw.

PS : I should get rid of my Safari driving habits when driving nano !!
power ranger is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 00:36   #591

@power ranger: Due to lack of rear windshield wipers and windshield defrost heat wires, how is the visibility? I hope the side mirrors help a bit.
Old 4th November 2015, 11:08   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli View Post
@power ranger: Due to lack of rear windshield wipers and windshield defrost heat wires, how is the visibility? I hope the side mirrors help a bit.
Yes visibility gets affected a bit. But nano's ac is quite powerful, so if you use it right from the word go when it starts raining and point it towards windshield it is generally ok !! The side mirrors do help a bit !! But you do see some condensation on the windows which you have to manage carefully !!
Old 4th November 2015, 22:35   #593
BHPian

hello Folks,
after much cerebration I've zeroed in on the Nano XTA variant. The intended user's are my father (in his early sixties) & my wife. I very well understand the limits of this vehicle & would mostly restrict it for city run-abouts. Now the help I seek from my fellow bhpians in Bangalore is that based on recent purchase experience, can you please suggest me a reliable dealership that I can approach ? I am fine waiting for the car given that AMT gearboxes are being sourced from else-where & there is supply constrain but don't want to be taken for a ride by the dealer. Please do mention any point-of-contact at that particular dealership, the exact branch office (most prominent dealers such as Prerana, Concorde seem to have different Branch offices) as well as the eventual OTR you paid for your car. I had been to Prerana's BTM office but the sales person was absolutely ill-informed, which kind of re-affirms my apprehension for buying a TATA product. Not that the product itself is flawed but just that the pre-sales experience & the afte-sales nightmare's I have been reading on this thread don't inspire confidence & makes me question my decision.

The great value-proposition which the XTA makes against it's closest competitor, Alto K10 AMT makes a strong case for itself. I just hope TATA dealers get their act together.
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 22:54   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
Thanks John Doe. Will definitely ask her to make note of this
Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Thanks for that word of advice!! I owned a Wagon R previously. It also has the same A pillar problem. I got used to Nano's A pillar in a day
+1 I agree on the A pillar. You will need to move your neck a bit back and towards the window to double check on any bikes/poles etc when taking turns.

Apart front that, I found the ORVMs to be very wierd, couldn't work out the "depth" of the view. Felt like those are "flat" and not convex like other cars.
Old 5th November 2015, 06:27   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Yes, I guess availability has improved and AMT waiting has been quoted as 4-6 weeks by a dealer here in Bangalore. But they are unwilling to give any offers / discounts on the AMT (not even corporate discount).

One other dealer that I was in touch with quoted 10-12 weeks and a corporate discount of 3k - however, this was about 2 weeks back.
In Bangalore the waiting period has not improved yet. Its still 10 weeks minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
hello Folks,
after much cerebration I've zeroed in on the Nano XTA variant. The intended user's are my father (in his early sixties) & my wife. I very well understand the limits of this vehicle & would mostly restrict it for city run-abouts. Now the help I seek from my fellow bhpians in Bangalore is that based on recent purchase experience, can you please suggest me a reliable dealership that I can approach ? I am fine waiting for the car given that AMT gearboxes are being sourced from else-where & there is supply constrain but don't want to be taken for a ride by the dealer. Please do mention any point-of-contact at that particular dealership, the exact branch office (most prominent dealers such as Prerana, Concorde seem to have different Branch offices) as well as the eventual OTR you paid for your car. I had been to Prerana's BTM office but the sales person was absolutely ill-informed, which kind of re-affirms my apprehension for buying a TATA product. Not that the product itself is flawed but just that the pre-sales experience & the afte-sales nightmare's I have been reading on this thread don't inspire confidence & makes me question my decision.

The great value-proposition which the XTA makes against it's closest competitor, Alto K10 AMT makes a strong case for itself. I just hope TATA dealers get their act together.
Congrats!! I would recommend Concorde Motors, Dairy Circle. You can reach out to Mr.Govardhan, SA or Mr.Rajesh, Nano in charge and showroom in charge. I had a wonderful experience there. You can use my name (Sairam) as reference. I took delivery of XT Nano on 30th Oct 2015. Hope this helps you and wishing you the best for your new ride!!
Old 5th November 2015, 14:41   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now the help I seek from my fellow bhpians in Bangalore is that based on recent purchase experience, can you please suggest me a reliable dealership that I can approach ? I am fine waiting for the car given that AMT gearboxes are being sourced from else-where & there is supply constrain but don't want to be taken for a ride by the dealer. Please do mention any point-of-contact at that particular dealership, the exact branch office
Tabrez, keeping in mind Bangalore City Centre you can go to Prerna Motors on the Lalbagh Road and meet Mr.Ranganath - 9845488215 and he would help you out in getting a good deal and a quick delivery, people in Prerna are well trained by Tata and will help you out in getting the same.

Been dealing with them since long and appreciate the promptness of the showroom people.

The Concorde, Aadya are situated in the outskirts of Bangalore hence the above suggestion.

Coming to Pre-Sales & After Sales with all the TASS follow a good rapport with the service guys and you will get good service and happy motoring with Tata Vehicles.

Note - above suggestions are for people who wants the Showroom in Central of Bangalore City and i do not have any kind of business with Prerna

Last edited by gowda79 : 5th November 2015 at 14:58. Reason: Update
gowda79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 16:32   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Tabrez, keeping in mind Bangalore City Centre you can go to Prerna Motors on the Lalbagh Road and meet Mr.Ranganath - 9845488215 and he would help you out in getting a good deal and a quick delivery, people in Prerna are well trained by Tata and will help you out in getting the same.

Been dealing with them since long and appreciate the promptness of the showroom people.

The Concorde, Aadya are situated in the outskirts of Bangalore hence the above suggestion.

Coming to Pre-Sales & After Sales with all the TASS follow a good rapport with the service guys and you will get good service and happy motoring with Tata Vehicles.

Note - above suggestions are for people who wants the Showroom in Central of Bangalore City and i do not have any kind of business with Prerna
Tabrez, I too booked my Nano with them. They are very helpful and knowledgeable people; they should help you get a good deal and a quick delivery. You can either reach out to Ranganath or Karthik.
I agree with Gowda79, I have had very good experiences with them, for my Safari as well.
All in all, good people to do business with
gods-envy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 12:41   #598
BHPian

I have purchased my Nano in 2013 from Prerana motors Lalbag road. It was smooth transaction and they were professional.
arvindmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 16:54   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Congrats!! I would recommend Concorde Motors, Dairy Circle. You can reach out to Mr.Govardhan, SA or Mr.Rajesh, Nano in charge and showroom in charge
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Tabrez, keeping in mind Bangalore City Centre you can go to Prerna Motors on the Lalbagh Road and meet Mr.Ranganath - 9845488215 and he would help you out in getting a good deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
Tabrez, I too booked my Nano with them. They are very helpful and knowledgeable people; they should help you get a good deal and a quick delivery. You can either reach out to Ranganath or Karthik.
Gentlemen,
thank-you very much for your valuable inputs. So based on your suggestions, I had my father visit Concorde Motors, Dairy Circle yesterday & take a Test-Drive of the XTA. He came out pretty satisfied with similar observations with respect to the brake's, the sluggish in-gear acceleration in "A" mode & slightly higher NVH levels. Now you need to understand that this is our very first stint with the Nano as a car (it was never seriously considered previously). He was in touch with Mr.Govardhan (sales rep). So I went in today for longer Test Drive. The router we followed was from show-room towards the St.John's junction, Koramangala, Forum Mall, Mico Road, Diary Circle & back to show-room. The roads are heavily laden with traffic with some undulations, speed breakers & broken patches. The test-drive vehicle has put around 7259kms on the Odo. The below are my observations

Pros:
+. Compact foot-print makes it breeze to drive in Bangalore's chaotic traffic
+. EPS is very light (in-fact, featherlite)
+. The interiors seem well put together
+. Cabin is pretty airy (something that is lightly aided by the sun-roof) & very spacious
+. The AC is a chiller (10 mins into drive at blower speed-1, I start feeling the chills)
+. Suspension seems to soak-up the undulations pretty well. The tuning is such that it takes a middle ground (neither too stiff such as in my Punto nor too wallowy like in the Verna). This was quite a surprise.
+. MID is fairly sophisticated for a car in this segment (manufacturers of higher segment car should take a clue who skimp upon some basic features in name of cost cutting)
+. Doors, bonnet, hatch felt assuring compared to the tinny sense of Honda's & Hyundai's (no offence meant here)
+. The grin shaped front & the rear bumper give it a more presentable look in comparison to it's predecessor
+. The elderly will find ingress & egress very comfortable. You literally walk into the car
+. That steering wheel is one good kit to hold in your hands - don't think it's ever going to require a leather-wrap
+. Love that creep feature. For someone who is learning to drive will find it immensely useful & the learning curve too would be alleviated
+. The engine, though start's out loud but after while does settle down or at-least with window's pulled up & AC at blower speed-1 won't gain much of your attention
+. In Manual & Sport mode, the engine growl is throaty. Not that they change the car's characteristic but it does rescue you from the boredom of the "A" mode (though 90% of this car's travel would be in "A" mode)

Cons:
+. The brakes are, well W-E-A-K. The brake pedal has a long travel but the actual bite start's only after 60-70% of it being depressed & even when it starts actuating, take's it's own time to bring the vehicle to an halt
+. EPS is so light, that it simply doesn't feel connected. At times it felt vague & perplexed (but then I am biased unfairly towards the Grande Punto's HPS. Someone in their early sixties (my father) & with delicate hands/wrist (my wife) would greatly appreciate Nano's EPS, but just not me). May be it will weigh better as it gains speed but I couldn't get to test it at high speeds
+. Why is the MID in an unearthly location ? I would've loved to see it in it's conventional postion. The MID's stats are for the driver & not the rear seat occupants
+. The boot capacity is on the lower side
+. Dead-pedal is useless, would have preferred it being raised by another inch or two
+. The seats, though supportive feel very hollow. If I were to push it all the way down the rails permit with a long legged rear occupant, I would feel the person's knee in my back
+. The AMT just feels sluggish & very lethargic. The rubber-band effect on each upshift is predominant. This isn't car for some one who has to hurry every morning trying to catch a flight. Patience is the virtue here (The Manual & Sports mode are the "redeemers")

Overall, I think it's a good package that TATA has come-up with.

Now for the benefits of any potential buyers out there, I am furnishing the quote's I have received from the below dealerships

Prerana Motors (BTM Layout):
ex-showroom: Rs.303,462/-
Insurance: Rs.12,121/- (Comprehensive)
Road Tax: Rs.43,790/-
Handling charges: Rs.3700/-
AMC (20000kms/2 years): Rs.3551/- (sales rep had no idea of the 3-years AMC package pricing)

No discount of any sort. Delivery schedule claimed to be 4-6 weeks (This was their October Price List that they handed over to me in November). Sales Rep didn't even have access to accesssories list/pricing.

Concorde Motors (dairy Circle):
ex-showroom: Rs.304,989/-
Insurance: Rs.12,173/- (Comprehensive)
Zero Dep rider Add-on: Rs.1800/-
Road Tax: Rs.44010/-
Handling charges: Rs.3000/-
AMC (20000kms/2 years): Rs.3551/-
AMC (30000kms/3 years): Rs.5885/-

Accessories list:
-------------------
Basic accessories (includes mud-flaps + floor mats): Rs.1430/- (complimentary from the dealership)
Front sunshade + Perfume: Rs.1000/- (complimentary from the dealership)
Seat Covers (Black & Red): Rs.5500/-
Reverse Camera+Sensors+Mirror display: Rs.8500/-
Alloy wheel "V" Shape - Black: Rs.16700/-
Body side molding - Black: Rs.1500/-
Rear power windows: Rs.6500/-
Sun-roof: Rs.17300/-

No discount of any sort. Delivery schedule claimed to be 12 weeks.

I do find the accessory pricing to be on the higher side in comparison to what the other bhpians have reported.

Now I have a question to the fellow owners with respect to the service intervals & schedules. Govardhan claimed
the below to be the Free Service Schedule
%. 1st Free service at 1000/1500kms OR 3-months (whichever is the earliest)
%. 2nd Free service at 10,000/10,500kms OR 12-months
%. 3rd Free service at 20,000/20,500kms OR 24-months

There onwards, every paid service to be done at an interval of 12-months or 10000kms. Can some one please corroborate the same ? I am finding it difficult to digest that Nano needs to be serviced once a year (I would be glad if this a fact - less hassle of having to put up with TATA's After-Sales Service)
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 21:00   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen,
thank-you very much for your valuable inputs.
Service interval mentioned is correct. I have it in my manual. Will post photos of it later when I get time. Regarding the brakes, the TD vehicle is the most abused and therefore the brakes are ineffective. In my nano, the brakes are sufficient and it doesn't give me any surprises.

Last edited by bblost : 8th November 2015 at 00:04. Reason: Please avoid a full post. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks