Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2015, 12:40   #676
BHPian

Just got my baby delivered yesterday and I am loving it! One my friend's loved it so much that he didn't want to get off the driving seat. The roof light set to "door" position is not turning on when the door is opened. Other than that no complaints.
Old 18th December 2015, 12:48   #677
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Anyone else in here got a sunroof fitted? If so, anyone faced leakage issues? My mileage as of now is around 12 kmph with AC is BTM traffic. But the fuel gauge doesn't see to reduce by the same the same ratio though. So I am guessing it's a bit more than what the console says. I accidentally reset the Odo at 100! what is the limit under which the odo can be reset?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img20151218wa0006.jpg  

KTM_aravind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 15:21   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM_aravind View Post
what is the limit under which the odo can be reset?
Most of these are designed to auto-reset at 200-250 kms, which implies you had another 100 kms to wipe out from your odo
Meanwhile, congratulations on your car & it's quite a stunner in that color. I have booked a similar specimen for my better half & expecting delivery sometimes late january/early february. My area of residence is identical/close-by to yours so do keep your update's coming in.

Last edited by tabrez : 18th December 2015 at 15:24. Reason: Added additional information
Old 18th December 2015, 15:49   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
Most of these are designed to auto-reset at 200-250 kms, which implies you had another 100 kms to wipe out from your odo
Meanwhile, congratulations on your car & it's quite a stunner in that color. I have booked a similar specimen for my better half & expecting delivery sometimes late january/early february. My area of residence is identical/close-by to yours so do keep your update's coming in.
Thank You!

Where have you booked it? I booked it from prerana motors BTM layout. The gentleman in sales allotted a vehicle in less than 3 days. I assume the car will end up getting used more by you than you're wife!
Old 18th December 2015, 19:42   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Where have you booked it? I booked it from prerana motors BTM layout.
I've booked it at Prerana Lalbagh, Aravind. Post #:620 of this very same thread has the entire process as well as the quote's given to me at the time of booking documented.

Quote:
The gentleman in sales allotted a vehicle in less than 3 days.
That's quite unusual given the fact that every-body else about a month ago was quoting at-least 10-12 weeks of waiting period for the XTA variant citing short-supply of AMT's.

On the accessorizing front, in one of the post's on this very thread I read that a dealership was offering some sort sound deadening mat to cover the entire floor. I can't recall Prerana offering any-thing similar in their list. Just curious, had you seen anything similar ? Of-Course, that particular team-bhpian I am referring was from a different city/dealership. I did love to avail something similar. The engine does get very noisy in "Sports" mode.

Quote:
I assume the car will end up getting used more by you than you're wife!
Up until the time she learns to drive it but beyond that I would prefer her to take over. This pug is most suitable for first time drivers (such as my wife) and the elder's at home (my father). The convenience of a slush gear box, the roomy interiors of this much improved vehicle, short foot-print for a city such as Bangalore coupled with the VFM pricing presents a very compelling case for itself.
Old 18th December 2015, 21:17   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post

That's quite unusual given the fact that every-body else about a month ago was quoting at-least 10-12 weeks of waiting period for the XTA variant citing short-supply of AMT's.
Actually the wait as you know depends on the color and variant. I went with the AMT Shangria Red. Concorde motors had told me that there were 2 vehicles in the yard when I made the first enquiry before booking. But later when I stepped up to make a booking, they changed the story to 3 weeks. So I went to Prerana and the story was same - 3 weeks waiting for the AMT. But then I told him that Concorde had informed me that there were 2 cars in the yard and it was available immediately. So they checked up on the stocks and got back to me saying that even they could deliver it immediately. I instantly made a booking. Also the insurance amount(12100) was discounted.

They say that there are no discounts on the AMT model. But I negotiated and got it.
Old 18th December 2015, 23:05   #682
BHPian

Took the delivery of a "Dazzle Blue" XTA from Concorde motors at Dairy Circle in Bangalore this Wednesday.
The delivery experience was nice and the whole buying process was smooth.

This is "officially" my wife's car who is a first time driver and still getting the hang of it. Up until she does, I am enjoying this beauty.

I drive a Rapid and the first thing that you notice when you drive the car is a real lack of power. But the you realize the this is so convenient to drive in the bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore and you sorta learn to live with the lack of power.

The high driving position gives you a better view of the road ahead which is a huge advantage for new drivers.

I second the comments about the brakes. Use the car in the city limits at around 60-80 and maintain distance from vehicles in front of you and don't try any sudden lane change; as long as you do this and generally don't get too adventurous with the Nano the brakes are okay to live with.

The high ground clearance is a boon for the pothole ridden roads of Bangalore.

I have only driven this for about 60 kms till now. We plan to use it more this weekend (the wife also wants to try this out more) and I will give you more updates then.

In the mean time if you have any questions or something in particular that you want me to check or comment on please let me know.
nobetterID is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 00:13   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
There is a switch that controls the brake light. This is also wired to enable the creep function. I adjusted the switch such that creep kicks in even on slightly releasing pressure on the brake rather than releasing the brake pedal fully. Usability wise this feels loads better than the original setting. Car does not roll back on slopes and vacuum does not run out soon in bumper to bumper. This is beacuse brake pedal moves lesser and I get more use for the stored vacuum.
Alphahere, can you please let me know where to find this switch and how to adjust it?
What you have described would surely improve the driveability of the Nano AMT.
Old 19th December 2015, 00:50   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobetterID View Post
Took the delivery of a "Dazzle Blue" XTA from Concorde motors at Dairy Circle in Bangalore this Wednesday.
The delivery experience was nice and the whole buying process was smooth.

This is "officially" my wife's car who is a first time driver and still getting the hang of it. Up until she does, I am enjoying this beauty.
Congratulations! On the buy. The lack of power feel is only for a few days and then you begin to understand that even with a car that's more powerful, you cannot guarantee reaching home any earlier than you would in a nano.

I drive a Sonata 2.4 VTVT and have fallen in love with this car! This might just become my primary ride.

This car is a boon for lady drivers. High seating position coupled with the AMT, makes it perfect for learners.
KTM_aravind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 10:53   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_T_A Rose View Post

First impressions are very positive. It is a breeze to drive around.
Quote:
Just got my baby delivered yesterday and I am loving it! One my friend's loved it so much that he didn't want to get off the driving seat
Quote:
Congratulations to you all and may the car serve you well in the years to come. One suggestion if you bought this for your better half then first use the car for two weeks yourself on a daily basis and let your wife drive later. You will be able to guide them better for driving in various situations. Also did everyone of you opt for gold AMC, it costs just rs 5850 for 3 years/30000km and it covers basically everything including your wear and tear parts like suspension/clutch and other rubber parts. So that means you won't have to pay other than for fuel for next 3 years!
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 13:59   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Congratulations to you all and may the car serve you well in the years to come. One suggestion if you bought this for your better half then first use the car for two weeks yourself on a daily basis and let your wife drive later. You will be able to guide them better for driving in various situations.
Thank you! And yes I am doing the same. As you mentioned it puts us in a better position to guide them later.

Hey why hasn't anyone posted a ownership experience theard on the Nano?!
Old 20th December 2015, 06:46   #687
BHPian

In my 6 months of ownership of my XTA, I could not find anything wrong about the car apart from the usual TATA niggles and quality issues. Thankfully there has been no out of place rattles or anything till now. The AMT has also been working fabulously. Things that were replaced in warranty are as follows:

1. Front LH wheel bearings due to rattle and wheel shake
2. Both fog lamps due to unexplained crack on both
3. Fuel tank float removed and fixed due to fuel gauge stuck at full position. If it gets stuck again need replacement.

Things that need to be replaced again in warranty are as follows:

1. Both Headlamps due to unexplained cracks (I may need to make a noise for this)
2. RH fog lamp due to unexplained crack
3. Front RH wheel bearing due to rattle and shake

I believe the light lenses are showing signs of cracks because the quality of plastics is not good. More than half of my 7500kms on odo has been run at night. This issue was not present in the earlier models of nano which I used to own. Also the fuel gauge seems to be working differently now that it has been removed and refitted. I still need time to understand the levels as I have not finished a full tank after rectifying it. But now it SEEMS more linear in the way the level drops as opposed to before getting stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_T_A Rose View Post
The only downer if I may say is the engine noise. It is something that we need to get used to, especially compared to the other car in the house (Honda City).

Odo can be reset once (before it hits 200KM apparently). We reset it after 43KMs (once at home after the customary pooja)
I believe it is more silent than the Honda City diesel inside. Petrol will be a different story!

Also I have reset the odo by mistake at 250km. So probably the limit till the reset is enabled is 500km assuming they will keep round figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Mileage will also see improvement post 1000km by 1-1.5kmpl. The noise when in traffic is not a major bother because with the windows rolled up and the fan blower running its like any other small car. The engine sounds loud early morning or in basement car parks where the surroundings are quite. Try test driving in various situations and judge for yourself if its acceptable to you. More than the doors the sound in the cabin comes from the AC compressor and the additional fan in the rear of the engine which is specific to the AMT model.
Myself having owned one of the first AMT cars from Bangalore from June 2015 have 7500 km on the odo now. My lifetime average is 14.5kmpl. The usual average for a tankful in the city is 13.5 to 14kmpl with AC working fulltime. But all guys please be informed that she has the capability of returning more average than that. The culprit in my case being my working hours and my location. Its usually choked with heavy traffic. For the perspective it takes me an hour and a half to travel 12km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post

1. What is the real life Mileage in Bangalore Traffic Situation (3 hours B2B to cover 30 KMS)
2. I have heard of brake issue and also read in this thread. Has it improved over a period or have Owners got used to it. Since Wifey also will be driving.
3. Has anyone taken it to Moderate Ghat section (like Madikeri). I don't intend to but may be forced if my other car is not available
1. Your traffic situation implies about 13kmpl to 13.5kmpl. It is very similar to mine. This will be with ac. If you switch off ac it will go up by 1 to 1.5kmpl. If you prevent idling waste also by switching engine off and on then can save another 1kmpl. Maximum you can obtain by conservative driving is about 16kmpl. But for that you have to really really try!

2. Brake issue exists but we tend to get used to it. Now my wife has started driving and I am trying to get her to experience the situation so that she can be prepared. But usually the brakes bite quite well if firm pressure is applied. Sometimes at slow speeds it runs out of assist for a few seconds and then it feels like a rock!

3. Have driven mine from Krishnagiri to Bangalore just for the heck of it and I honestly did not enjoy the way she took to the slopes. Cannot exceed 90kph and you have to keep it floored if driving in A mode. Else keeps shifting between 5th and 4th endlessly as KTM_aravind has implied in his reply. It is a good city car. On the highway you immediately notice the lack of breath.

Quote:
Alphahere, can you please let me know where to find this switch and how to adjust it?
What you have described would surely improve the driveability of the Nano AMT.
If you look towards the top portion of the brake pedal lever you can see this switch with a wiring harness coming out of it. You need to unclip the wiring harness and unplug it. Then use a spanner to loosen the nut holding the switch in place. After that you have to turn the whole switch clockwise 2 or 3 turns. I would advise you to fine tune the position to your liking by plugging the wire back and driving a bit before retightening the nut. Make sure that the creep mode does not drag the brakes. Fix it in such a way that the creep mode engages exactly at the start of the useless pedal travel when you release the brake. If you are a DIY kind of person you can easily figure out how to find this point!

Last edited by alphahere : 20th December 2015 at 07:07.
alphahere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 21:32   #688
BHPian

Quote:
In my 6 months of ownership of my XTA, I could not find anything wrong about the car apart from the usual TATA niggles and quality issues. Thankfully there has been no out of place rattles or anything till now. The AMT has also been working fabulously. Things that were replaced in warranty are as follows:

Things that need to be replaced again in warranty are as follows:

!
Thanks Alphahere for your detailed post and experience with the AMT nano. You mention the car is good except for the usual tata niggles - so would something like these issues be specific only to Tata or would a Maruti have no such issues at all.

Maruti is generally considered as having a hassle free experience - so does that mean that their cars would have no niggles like the ones you have with nano. I don't know if you have had a maruti car before or currently - so that way you could give us a comparison regarding niggles and reliability !

Based on your post - it appears that Tata does not give too many problems when parts have to be replaced under warranty. Or do you have to fight tooth and nail with them to fix them under warranty ?

Your detailed reviews gives potential customers a huge information database on the Nano ! And as you say- it is a city car and it's absolutely unfair to review it as a highway car. It was meant to be driven in the traffic choked Indian cities and narrow lanes with tight or nonexistent parking spots.

And you said you had some issues driving it in the steep incline ghats. My main concern here is - how the Nano pefrforms when it has to come up from the basement parking lots at the malls or movie theaters etc. Some of those are pretty steep and for a manual car you have to use 1st gear - how does the amt perform here ? Is it adequate or does it struggle to come up ? Thanks !

Also keep updating us on your Nano !
Old 20th December 2015, 23:45   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Myself having owned one of the first AMT cars from Bangalore from June 2015 have 7500 km on the odo now. My lifetime average is 14.5kmpl. The usual average for a tankful in the city is 13.5 to 14kmpl with AC working fulltime. But all guys please be informed that she has the capability of returning more average than that. The culprit in my case being my working hours and my location. Its usually choked with heavy traffic. For the perspective it takes me an hour and a half to travel 12km.

1. Your traffic situation implies about 13kmpl to 13.5kmpl. It is very similar to mine. This will be with ac. If you switch off ac it will go up by 1 to 1.5kmpl. If you prevent idling waste also by switching engine off and on then can save another 1kmpl. Maximum you can obtain by conservative driving is about 16kmpl. But for that you have to really really try!
!
Today with normal traffic I could get 15Kmpl with AC in the city.

One question that haunts my mind is the fact that most Maruti 800 and alto 800 owners claim 18-20 inside the city in traffic! Which seems ridiculous to me given the fact that the basic displacement of the engine itself is much larger. I can only assume sloppy calculations to be culprit to such claims. Can anyone here back their claims with proper evidence?
Old 21st December 2015, 08:51   #690
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I had booked my nano XT from Aadya Motors (Ebony Automobiles) and so far it has been a nightmare. I'm yet to receive the car. The last two cars that I was provided had more that 200 KMs on the ODO and were more than 8 months old.

I did not have too much expectations, in terms of the "buying experience", from TATA but since I liked the Nano so much, I thought I'll overlook the dealership experience. But this is turning out to be a very painful process.

So far the biggest pain points:
  • Incorrect numbers every time on the invoice (tax, discounts, ex-showroom)
  • Cars allocated were more than 8 months old, 200+ KMs
  • Staff that does not believe in keeping the customer informed on the progress

By the way, all this is happening despite my friend's uncle being the owner at Aadya!

That being said, coming from a VW family, My wife and me, both like the Nano and were really looking forward to having a trouble-free experience. Hope things work out. I'll be posting a detailed experience for the Nano once I get the car and drive a couple of KMs.
Cheers!

Most Viewed