Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2015, 09:49   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

I don't know that road, but in general the manual Nano does the ghats effortlessly provided gear changes are done in anticipation and not reaction mode, and the car isn't fully loaded.

After all the Nano isn't really up to hauling 4 full size adults in the first place.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 10:33   #707
Senior - BHPian

My '10 Nano climbed Yercaud in 2012 with 4 full sized adults & slight luggage. Didn't need to shift to 1st Gear even once.

Last year I'd been to Devnarayan Durga (near Tumkur), and it climbed that with 3 occupants. Same, didn't need to shift to 1st Gear except once when I had to stop in a narrow path for someone descending.

Ofcourse it can climb Tirupati. IMO easily, since the new one is 3-4bhp more powerful AFAIK.

RWD setup makes it a decent climber. So, worry not!
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 10:53   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiddela View Post
Yes, an orange exclamation mark on the left side of the console illuminated. I am not sure if the indication is for this problem. But I noticed it for the first time when this problem started happening.
I was wondering how long it would be before someone reported a problem with the AMT. Sorry to hear about it "smiddela" but being a "Tata" it's not really surprising. Although I am on my second Nano (Twist) and really like the car, I have advised my friends against buying this car simply because of the Tata A.S.S. It took them one year to sort out a clutch cable problem on my car. The thought of some half baked "mechanic" (usually found in most "Tata" garages) fiddling with the AMT is frightening. Try to ensure that you get the senior "technician" to attend to your problem. All the best.
Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:54   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
My 1st thought when I read this: did you try driving and selecting the gears manually? Have I understood this correctly in that you only used the Automatic part of the gearbox?
Yes, I did try driving in manual mode as well. Manual mode also has the same problem. It autoshifts back to Neutral directly from 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears. When it does, I manually did an upshift to correct it. However I observed that sometimes it upshifts and sometimes it does not, so, I have to repeat it 2 or three times to move it to upper gear. All this at a traffic signal and middle of traffic, you can understand my situation
smiddela is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:15   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
I was wondering how long it would be before someone reported a problem with the AMT. Sorry to hear about it "smiddela" but being a "Tata" it's not really surprising. Although I am on my second Nano (Twist) and really like the car, I have advised my friends against buying this car simply because of the Tata A.S.S. It took them one year to sort out a clutch cable problem on my car. The thought of some half baked "mechanic" (usually found in most "Tata" garages) fiddling with the AMT is frightening. Try to ensure that you get the senior "technician" to attend to your problem. All the best.
Regards,
SS
Oh yeah... could not agree more with you. I own a Maruti Swift for 6 years and Hyundai Fluidic Verna for four years, so just imagine the culture shock I would have got when I walked into the Tata Motors ASS. Maaan... utter chaos. After the receptionist says "Hello Sir", it takes almost 30 to 45 mins for somebody to come to you and say the "Next Hello". In between that time you have to keep your fingers crossed and pray Gods that eventually someone would come and attend your problem.

I have been requesting for a second remote for my Nano the day since I bought the car (6 months old) and it is still to be addressed. When I put my request for the second remote, it was noted down on a piece of scrap book which really was in a sorry state. Only Ratan Tata or his direct reportees would know who would look into that book if at all it is not lost by them. They have promised me this time but let me see if they take care of it.

I just gave my swift for service two days ago and all my complaints were addressed promptly by Pratham motors kudlu gate and I was impressed by their service as they had to take care of difficult problems like cabin noise and multiple rattling noises (the car is now 9 years old).

Anyway this will go on and on and I don't want deviate much as I already went too much off topic. I hope they fix my AMT problem soon.
smiddela is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 17:41   #711
BHPian

The 12v charging port in my AMT went bust yesterday and I conveniently got a call from the after sales team and brought it to their attention. They promptly fixed up an appointment at the kudlu gate prerana motors in the morning. I couldn't make it in the morning, so I went there around 3:30 and this was the first time I had stepped into a Tata ASS in my life.

As smiddela mentioned they guys are not courteous enough to customers as they are used to indica cab drivers who form a major part of their customer base in that ASS.

The problem was a simple blown fuse and was replaced in 20mins time but needed persuasion from my end to get them to attend it quickly .
KTM_aravind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 13:25   #712

Hello fellow BHPians this is my first post on TBHP and am excited to say that it is about our shiny new Red Nano XTA which we bought earlier in the week. The overall experience so far was very smooth from booking to PDI to actual delivery. Thanks to this forum I was fully prepared at every step of the way and felt like a dear friend (TBHP) is always with me. The car is primarily meant for the wifey, but so far I have been riding it mostly for the last 3-4 days
We had cosidered several options before booking this one and settled on the XTA after the test drive and reading about other peoples experiences in detail over these threads. Will post more about the experience and photos one I get more time.
sakha_bhau is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 16:10   #713
BHPian

Got a call from my dealer representative yesterday who says my Nano (booked on Nov 21st) will be reaching Chennai mid of next week. Plan to go do inspection as soon as it reaches. With the holiday for New Years day it will be registered only on Jan 4th/5th.
Old 24th December 2015, 16:26   #714
BHPian

This is an update regarding my AMT box auto-shift to Neutral issue.

Prerana motors kudlu gate has a done a good job updating me on the progress of what is happening. I got a call today from their ASS and I am happy to tell you folks that they are replacing the entire AMT kit. The AMT box is shipped from Sanand, Gujarat and is expected to arrive by today or tomorrow. Also, they want to take the defective kit away with them for R&D to Sanand plant.

The Tata Nano R&D had advised the service center folks not to open the box until they arrive. It seems they want to be absolutely sure that no one has tinkered with it. The ASS folks have removed the box from the car and it seems they have noticed oil leaking. They are speculating that it might be some oil seal related issue. Things will be clear when the R&D team get their hands dirty.

I have requested my presence when they are opening the AMT box and they have happily obliged. However, I requested them to take a few pics if for any reason I cannot make it to the service center when the AMT box is getting opened. They have agreed. Nice to see this from Tata motors ASS. They have promised me transparency and it is good to see them adhering to that. I am keeping my fingers crossed as I want this problem to be resolved once and for all. Lets us see how they conclude their customer service
smiddela is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 18:39   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiddela View Post
This is an update regarding my AMT box auto-shift to Neutral issue.

Prerana motors kudlu gate has a done a good job updating me on the progress of what is happening. I got a call today from their ASS and I am happy to tell you folks that they are replacing the entire AMT kit. The AMT box is shipped from Sanand, Gujarat and is expected to arrive by today or tomorrow. Also, they want to take the defective kit away with them for R&D to Sanand plant.

The Tata Nano R&D had advised the service center folks not to open the box until they arrive. It seems they want to be absolutely sure that no one has tinkered with it. The ASS folks have removed the box from the car and it seems they have noticed oil leaking. They are speculating that it might be some oil seal related issue. Things will be clear when the R&D team get their hands dirty.

I have requested my presence when they are opening the AMT box and they have happily obliged. However, I requested them to take a few pics if for any reason I cannot make it to the service center when the AMT box is getting opened. They have agreed. Nice to see this from Tata motors ASS. They have promised me transparency and it is good to see them adhering to that. I am keeping my fingers crossed as I want this problem to be resolved once and for all. Lets us see how they conclude their customer service
Wow! I can't believe the commitment from Tata ASS. I was there yesterday at Kudlu gate ASS. Oooooohhhh! Right! Yours is silver AMT right?
Old 24th December 2015, 21:36   #716

Folks here are some pictures as promised ...Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20151224_180512.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20151224_175951.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20151224_180008.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20151224_180117.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20151224_180047.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20151224_175856.jpg

Bought her from Concorde Motors in Baner Pune. Got the black alloy, mud flaps and mats as accessories. Also opted for Gold AMC for 4 years which covers everything except lights and tyres.
sakha_bhau is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 01:18   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakha_bhau View Post

Bought her from Concorde Motors in Baner Pune. Got the black alloy, mud flaps and mats as accessories. Also opted for Gold AMC for 4 years which covers everything except lights and tyres.
I suggest you exchange the stock tyres to Bridgestone and there will be a significant improvement in braking distance and less road noise. Some photos of my car bought in July.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20151219_112424.jpg  

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20151219_111830552.jpg  

damodar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 06:26   #718
BHPian

Took delivery of my wife's Damson Purple XTA yesterday from OMR Concorde. After a lot of confusion between VST and Concorde, finally settled with Concorde as they agreed to source a fresh car from Pine. Thus our November manufactured car arrived last Friday. Took delivery on Christmas eve. Attaching just one pic for now. I'll attach more pics and even a quick first experience review later in the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img20151224wa0002.jpg  

y2ksrs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 07:34   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakha_bhau View Post
Folks here are some pictures as promised ...,]

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
Took delivery of my wife's Damson Purple XTA yesterday from OMR Concorde. After a lot of confusion between VST and Concorde, finally settled with Concorde as they agreed to source a fresh car from Pine. Thus our November manufactured car arrived last Friday. Took delivery on Christmas eve. Attaching just one pic for now. I'll attach more pics and even a quick first experience review later in the day.
Congratulations! to both of you! Waiting to hear your experiences on the car. Did Anyone get a discount on the XTA?
Old 25th December 2015, 10:26   #720

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
I suggest you exchange the stock tyres to Bridgestone and there will be a significant improvement in braking distance and less road noise. Some photos of my car bought in July.
Thanks damodar but I have already taken delivery and put on about 100 odd kilometer on her, would they still exchange the stock tyres? Or are you suggesting I buy a set of new Bridgestone tyres and keep these as spare?

Overall experience with the car so far.
Pros :
- Tall boy design makes it easy to ingres and egres, grandma literally walked into the car and was beaming with joy.
- Space : loads of it, nothing can beat a TATA car for space. I mean in similar dimensions to the other cars they have created oodles of space in this one, hats off to them.
- Power steering is a breeze one can literally operate it with one finger like some folks here said.
- Turning radius is phenomenal, yesterday i did a quick Uturn on a small side street, impressive, no need for a 3-point turn.
- A/C chilling to the bone as others have said, you have to experience it, in fact i was thinking maybe TML could have gone for a less powerful one and it would still suffice.
- Music system : is good for the price, love the bluetooth was a breeze to pair.

Cons :
- Brakes, brakes, brakes : Well i mean they are SAD but one gets used to them after a while. I had a big concern after reading all the reviews so I took my Father-in-law with me during one of the test rides, now he is a brake systems expert having worked all his life at KBX(Bosch) and he said although the brake bite is not great i would get used to them after all we have driven ambassadors and premier padminis and maruti vans in the past. In fact he called up some folks at KBX and gave me an internal news that TML is indeed testing disk brakes from KBX and TVS, so sometime next year we might see a version with disk brakes. I asked him why TML is so slow and he said that's just the nature of TML first they experiment with things in the initial few models and then they finally refine it. His opinion is that disk brakes would add about Rs. 5000/- to the car. Lets keep our finger crossed, although i dont know if they can be retrofitted.

- Horn is puny, sounds like an early two-wheeler, although someone here has managed to fit a more beefy aftermarket one, i will read through the post to find out.

AMT : Well AMT you must be wondering why i have not written about it yet since that is the most important feature of the car. Frankly I am not too impressed, having driven cvt type automatics over the years in the US. But dont get me wrong i dont regret getting it over manual or would not trade this for a manual, it is convinient no doubt. It makes the car a cheapest automatic in India heck even in the world.
Unlike a CVT type automatic though here you can feel the Magneti robot engage different gears, there is a distinct loss of power during changing gears, maybe its a matter of getting used to and further refined control over the throttle. Also on slopes if one is waiting at a signal light i sometime felt the car start rolling but a tiny bit maybe a fraction of on inch, probably due to puny brakes, have others faced a similar situation? what to do to overcome this phobia.

Most Viewed