Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2016, 14:54   #826
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
What versions of Nano is covered by this recall? Any particular year of manufacturing affected by this recall?
Our's is a 2015 manufactured GenX XT. Not sure if other variants are also affected. Will try to check with them again about it. They confirmed that they will be open on Sunday (14/2/16) also for this part replacement and that it would take 2 hours at most.
Old 12th February 2016, 16:42   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
Our's is a 2015 manufactured GenX XT. Not sure if other variants are also affected. Will try to check with them again about it. They confirmed that they will be open on Sunday (14/2/16) also for this part replacement and that it would take 2 hours at most.
2 hours for fog lamp replacement ?

I had to replace fog lamps under warranty but since it was not in stock during my service time I was told to visit them after a week. As discussed, after a week I called the SA and told him that I would be coming for the replacement next day. I reached the SC and was speaking to the SA while the technician changed the fog lamp. It took may be 10 minute max. In fact I was like . I asked the technician "that's it?” He said yes Sir and I went back home.

Fix up an appointment (a particular time slot) and go for the replacement. May be that should help thing move faster.
T-Bone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 19:06   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
2 hours for fog lamp replacement ?
I think they are just playing it safe by quoting a wide margin, hoping that even in the worst case, if lots of vehicles turn up, they will still be able to pull it off within the committed time.
I was surprised to learn that they are open on a Sunday (my appointment's fixed for Sunday), but forgot to ask if that is the norm or if they are doing it only this time around.
Would be a boon if the service center is open on Sundays. Normally scheduled services are a Saturday affair for me and there is barely standing room in their service centers on Saturdays
perty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 22:01   #829
BHPian

Quote:
I think they are just playing it safe by quoting a wide margin, hoping that even in the worst case, if lots of vehicles turn up, they will still be able to pull it off within the committed time.
I was surprised to learn that they are open on a Sunday (my appointment's fixed for Sunday), but forgot to ask if that is the norm or if they are doing it only this time around.
Would be a boon if the service center is open on Sundays. Normally scheduled services are a Saturday affair for me and there is barely standing room in their service centers on Saturdays
Hi Perty,

Thanks for bringing up this point "Would be a boon if the service center is open on Sundays".

Once we had a free check up camp on a Sunday but it so happened that the parts store was not functioning on Sunday (as usual) due to this the car owner's had to come again on a different day to get the parts replaced

Make sure the parts store is open on Sunday so that such incident don't happen.
Old 13th February 2016, 17:35   #830
BHPian

Hi Perty, I just called Concorde motors Dairy Circle service team. They confirmed that fog assembly has to be replaced. I guess this is for all genx nano owners. The reason why they are quoting 2 to 4 hours is , they are also replacing a bracket which needs a sealant to apply. It takes some time to dry . I am going to give my car next week. Will keep you posted.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 07:20   #831
BHPian

Can anyone confirm the exact reason for the fog lamp replacement? Is is due to some fault in the units themselves or the the mounting points? I have already replaced my fogs twice due to water getting in and fading!! Need to know if I need to get them replaced again as part of this recall.
Old 14th February 2016, 16:31   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Can anyone confirm the exact reason for the fog lamp replacement? Is is due to some fault in the units themselves or the the mounting points? I have already replaced my fogs twice due to water getting in and fading!! Need to know if I need to get them replaced again as part of this recall.
I am not sure of the exact reason. Looks like they want to add an additional bracket and they are not saying more.
Old 14th February 2016, 21:12   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I am not sure of the exact reason. Looks like they want to add an additional bracket and they are not saying more.
Mine is 2012 LX, both fog lamps had been replace due to water getting in and eventually corroding the reflective surface.

Latest Gen Nano seems to have the lens cracking issue. Few of them had reported in this forum about the fog lamp lens cracking issue and in some cases head lamp lens.

I guess TATA's seems to have noticed the regular fog/head lamp replacement happening which may have prompted them to go for the silent recall/replacement.

I had in fact made a list of the complaints that were reported in here w.r.t the fog/head lamp lens cracking and twitted the same to TATA. May be this would have made them take a notice as well.

Kudos to TATA if they are taking our feedback seriously
T-Bone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 01:36   #834
BHPian

Took the Nano to the service center today.
Turned up there at the appointed time and it was quite obvious that they normally do not work on Sunday's. All bays were empty and there were hardly any staff around, save for a couple of service advisors who were probably there only for handling this replacement exercise.

Since my Nano was 3rd in the queue, I expected the work to take a little more time and stepped out for a short while. When I came back in, a junior mechanic was replacing the head lamp assembly on my Nano and said that the 'updation' (as they called it) was done. It had hardly been 30 mins since I had left the vehicle there.
Tried to get more details from him about what exactly had been done, but it looked like the chap who made the actual 'updation' was not around.
The only thing that the junior guy could tell me was that they replaced a 'filament' and added some insulation to the fog lamp wiring beneath the hood. Couldn't get any further information out of either him or the supervisor. While fixing up the appointment over the phone, the lady had said that my Nano was also in line for a wiper motor repair so I asked them if they had done that, to which the reply was that they tested the wiper spray and found it functional so they didn't fix anything in that area.

I also noticed that the front fog lamp lens had cracked on my Nano. I hadn't noticed this before and just to be sure that it was not unique to my vehicle, I checked this on other GenX Nanos parked in the bays and sure enough, there were atleast a couple of others who also had their fog lamp lens cracked. Asked the SA to replace that as well, to which they said it's not covered under warranty. I agreed to pay for the part if they can replace it, but was told that the spare was not available and that they had ordered for it and should receive it in 2 days.

For what seemed like a fairly simple 15 min job, I fail to understand why Tata Motors is asking owners to get their vehicles to the service center. Could it be that they are fixing a potential safety hazard ? From what I recollect, even the 2011 Nano had some part replacements, but these were being done when owners came for scheduled services and they never initiated a recall for anything.
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 05:13   #835
BHPian

Quote:
I agreed to pay for the part if they can replace it, but was told that the spare was not available and that they had ordered for it and should receive it in 2 days.
Please refer to my post which I had made quite a few months back. I guess I'm the first one who noticed the fog lamps cracking. From my experience I believe the cracks were caused when water splashes on a hot fog lamp lens. And I made sure I communicated this to the service manager.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3770668

The same problem of inexplicable cracks occurred for my headlamps as well. All of these were replaced under warranty by TML. Though the headlamps required a bit of argument with them the foglamps were replaced without any trouble. Usually they say cracks and other physical damage will not be covered in warranty. But we as users know for certain that we did not bang against something and cause those cracks. As far as I understand things, the service centre has a discretion whether or not to replace something in warranty. If they find the customer making a possible statement they will agree to it. If the customer just says that I don't know how these cracks came, they will make a story to deny warranty. Therefore I request all of fellow bhpians having the same problem to think their words through before visiting TASS for such problems. It will save you a bit of moolah for which you shouldn't be spending in the first place!

PS: The fog lamp costs approx Rs 1000/piece and headlamp Rs 1800/piece. Labour extra over this.

Last edited by alphahere : 15th February 2016 at 05:39.
alphahere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 13:54   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Please refer to my post which I had made quite a few months back. I guess I'm the first one who noticed the fog lamps cracking. From my experience I believe the cracks were caused when water splashes on a hot fog lamp lens. And I made sure I communicated this to the service manager.
Thanks, the picture posted earlier confirms that it's the same problem which I am facing. Its also the same kind of failure that I saw on the other Nano's parked in the service area.
Have the new fog lamps remained 'crack free' so far on your Nano ?
This seems to be a manufacturing defect and unless they have taken some steps to ensure that there is a quality upgrade on the part, even the new ones might end up getting cracked in a few months
Old 16th February 2016, 15:05   #837

Thanks for all the reviews and pointers! I 'probably' will be going for the XTA! One question though - is 'GenX' the variant name or is it 'Twist'? On their website it shows GenX as a separate variant. But mostly what I've seen is 'Twist XTA' including some of the pictures posted in this thread! Of course I'll ask Concorde at the right time...wanted to understand if this is a no-brainer
Old 16th February 2016, 15:24   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheersHonda View Post
Thanks for all the reviews and pointers! I 'probably' will be going for the XTA! One question though - is 'GenX' the variant name or is it 'Twist'? On their website it shows GenX as a separate variant. But mostly what I've seen is 'Twist XTA' including some of the pictures posted in this thread! Of course I'll ask Concorde at the right time...wanted to understand if this is a no-brainer
AFAIK, Twist means the car has Power Steering. GenX is the model name and XTA is the variant. The experts should look at this though.
Old 16th February 2016, 16:48   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheersHonda View Post
One question though - is 'GenX' the variant name or is it 'Twist'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Twist means the car has Power Steering. GenX is the model name and XTA is the variant.
Bingo, GenX is the term they use to market the new 'smiley face' Nano having openable tail-gate.

Twist is the power steering Nano that was launched earlier and didnt have the openable tail-gate. (I believe some of these are still being sold)

Even the GenX model carries the Twist name on the hatch as it has power steering.
Old 16th February 2016, 17:20   #840

Understood the meaning of 'Twist' or 'GenX'! Thanks to you both - The Dude and Uday.ere!

The website says 'GenX' as a variant and that is why the confusion! If this is a variant, then the cars should carry the logo accordingly! If this is a marketing term, the website shouldn't be showing GenX in the variant menu (where Twist is a separate line item)! Any pointers?

Most Viewed