Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2016, 18:01   #886
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Hey Guys,

Took delivery of a Sangria Red Nano XTA today. Delivery as promised after a slight 20 minute wait. But frankly, there was barely standing room this morning at Wasan Motors, Chembur, Mumbai.

Being Gudi Padva, there was a massive rush of people taking deliveries with 23 deliveries before me already. Plus, there was a huge number of people waiting for test-drives and bookings of the new Tiago. Despite the crush of people I had an excellent experience. The dealership people were hospitable and efficient.

At the dealership, was introduced to another family led by a senior from HPCL also shopping for a Nano for the lady of the house. Gave them the Dutch courage to go ahead and sign on the dotted line, assuring them that I had done due diligence and was myself convinced there simply wasn't a better car available in India (and I dare say on the face of earth, for the price) for use as a city runabout.

Topped up the fuel on the short drive home. The dealer had said there's 4 litres of fuel and she took in 21 litres more at the pump. The fuel pump attendant was amazed at the fuel tank capacity and remarked, 'Oh yes, they have put in a bigger tank.' A few other motorists walked up to see how the fuel is filled into the bonnet.

The temperature at 2 p.m. on the drive home must have been 37 degrees Celsius or more. But the AC at fan speed 1 was good enough to chill me and the 2 other occupants, my wife and daughter. Will post a more detailed review later.

Even on the road, my red Nano seems to get more attention than my Safari VX. So seems like people still have great fondness for the cute little baby.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-nano.jpg  

Ferruccio is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 18:12   #887
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car! Best wishes for a happy ownership experience.
My dad says the same about his white Twist. Many people have looked at the car inquisitively. But the most common question that he is asked is the price and then the mileage. When he mentions that it costs close to 3 lakhs on the road, the inevitable reaction is that of surprise since it was supposed to cost a third of that.
It is a big lesson in marketing: when you become famous because of something, you might as well become infamous because of it in the long run. The GenX is almost like a completely new car when compared to the first generation Nano. But people rarely associate the cost of quality with the price of a product.
Enjoy the car. The AC is great, the space will spoil you. If you appreciate the limits of the vehicle, you will really enjoy the ownership experience.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 07:03   #888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
there simply wasn't a better car available in India (and I dare say on the face of earth, for the price) for use as a city runabout.
Quite right. No other car offers the combination of comfortable interior space for 4 with the compact exterior dimensions, with the smallest turning circle that makes parking the car such a breeze. And for city use, the luggage space is also very adequate. I don't know of any other car today that offers this combination at any price.

When I bought my 2013 Nano this was true and remains so even with significant price hike from that time. Of course my car does not have PS or AMT, but I don't miss those features in my use of the car. Flawless performance to date.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 11:34   #889

Hey Folks,
So I took my car for a Konkan trip from Pune via Tamhini Ghat. Wanted to take her out for a spin on a long road trip, been riding her only in the city. Was amazed at the performance, this car is really built for bad indian roads, great ground clearance, takes in all the potholes and knick-knacks in the road like a charm. We were three riders with small backpacks. The performance was awesome, i got an average FE of 23KMPL with AC on about 40% of the time, which was great, since the most i could every muster with city driving is 14KMPL. The AC is a charm, even in sweltering heat outside it kept the car chilled on fan setting 1. There was only one point where we had a total of 5 occupants, two extra folks we picked up on the way, on a steep slope with AC on the car started stalling and we had to momentarily switch the AC off. So to all the folks here who have been only riding in the city or think that the car is built only for city driving, I would say nonsense this car works like a charm on highways and outdoors and gets you great mileage even with AC on. One thing has happened though ever since I came back the AFE meter does not budge below 19 and I am stumped since there is no way to reset it and I know for sure it aint getting that kind of mileage in the city. Hopefully it will settle down after a few more kilometers of city riding on the odometer. Oh and one more thing on the way back i could hear a distinct "ghurrum-ghurrum" kind of cyclical/repetitive sound and i attributed it to the radiator fan working overtime, it eventually subsided this morning during the city drive. Am i wrong in my assumption? Should i get her checked once from a TML technician?
Old 11th April 2016, 20:51   #890
BHPian

Quote:
there simply wasn't a better car available in India (and I dare say on the face of earth, for the price) for use as a city runabout.

Even on the road, my red Nano seems to get more attention than my Safari VX. So seems like people still have great fondness for the cute little baby.
Absolutely. Especially in it's AMT version and now with PS & openable boot - there definitely is not a better CITY car for any crowded city with snarling traffic and non-existent parking.

Yes, often kids STILL point excitedly towards Stuart (my white Nano LX 2012 Special Edition) and express with glee - Nano !
Still happens once a month - atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
When he mentions that it costs close to 3 lakhs on the road, the inevitable reaction is that of surprise since it was supposed to cost a third of that.
It is a big lesson in marketing: when you become famous because of something, you might as well become infamous because of it in the long run. The GenX is almost like a completely new car when compared to the first generation Nano. But people rarely associate the cost of quality with the price of a product.
If you appreciate the limits of the vehicle, you will really enjoy the ownership experience.
Seriously. When I got mine for 2.5 - people looked at me quizzically as if someone duped me or I am a fool.
When Innova steadily jacks up from 7 lakhs to 17 lakhs - no one bats an eye lid. But if Nano gives PS + AMT + bluetooth + 4 speakers - how dare it charge a rupee over 1 lakh.

And at hearing 3 lakhs - people blurt out - "You should have bought an Alto at that price." And I am like - Hello - Reality check - Alto costs 1.3 lakhs MORE in it's AMT fully kitted (equally comparable) avatar.

Indeed a BIG lesson in marketing.

Your last statement is most important. Know it's limits and its a gem of a car. Nothing comes close. Quite addictive too.

I am all poised to buy a Tiago but can't bear the thought of giving up my Nano.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 14:37   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Yes, often kids STILL point excitedly towards Stuart (my white Nano LX 2012 Special Edition) and express with glee - Nano !
Love the name - White Nano = Stuart Little I presume

Quote:
I got mine for 2.5 - people looked at me quizzically as if someone duped me or I am a fool.
When Innova steadily jacks up from 7 lakhs to 17 lakhs - no one bats an eye lid. But if Nano gives PS + AMT + bluetooth + 4 speakers - how dare it charge a rupee over 1 lakh.

And at hearing 3 lakhs - people blurt out - "You should have bought an Alto at that price." And I am like - Hello - Reality check - Alto costs 1.3 lakhs MORE in it's AMT fully kitted (equally comparable) avatar.
You bet. . . My Dad congratulated me on my new acquisition and said 'Still you spent a Lakh for the car'.

'No Dad. It was closer to 4 Lakhs on road Mumbai!' I replied

After a moment of silence ' You spent 4 Lakhs on a Nano?' and I was thankful he was 2,000 kms. away in Kolkata, even though I will be 45 years old soon

Quote:
I am all poised to buy a Tiago but can't bear the thought of giving up my Nano.
Go for it by all means. Would have got the Tiago if only they had an AMT already. Hearing lot of good things from it and my Brother-in-law is soon taking delivery.
Ferruccio is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 14:50   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Love the name - White Nano = Stuart Little I presume

After a moment of silence ' You spent 4 Lakhs on a Nano?' and I was thankful he was 2,000 kms. away in Kolkata, even though I will be 45 years old soon

Go for it by all means. Would have got the Tiago if only they had an AMT already. Hearing lot of good things from it and my Brother-in-law is soon taking delivery.
Bang on. Little White Mouse that darts in and out of traffic at full spree, while making me smile with glee and looking as cute as ever ... Stuart (Little).

Yes. Perceptions. Perceptions! Soon the Nano will probably be a 'lifestyle' vehicle - not for the masses, but chosen by the discerning few who have good tastes and know what they want from a car. Unfortunately that may not be a good thing for TATA.
Age is immaterial ... To quote Virendra Sehwag (different context though) - "Beta beta hota hai aur baap baap hota hai."

Parents - so difficult to convince them and one always seeks their approval, even if it is subconsciously.

The dilemma is very much real! The Tiago cannot do in the city what the Nano can. But the Tiago is a gem by all means. Waiting for a quote for the Nano. If it's good - might take the plunge.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 17:20   #893
BHPian

1000KM Update : So the Persian Rose completed 1000KMs in about 4 months of ownership. Has been a wonderful stint so far. Commuting in crowded Bangalore is a breeze and the "Find a Parking Slot" nightmare is a thing of the past. Average economy has hovered around 14-16KMPL. However, have not been able to comprehend the calibration of the fuel guage though. It starts to blink even though the DTE shows nearly 90KMs!!
The large ground clearance, power steering and AMT are God's gift.

A snap taken recently during a drive to Hessaraghatta Lake.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-nano-5.jpg  

X_T_A Rose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 23:51   #894
BHPian

Don't try this in a Tata Safari

Switching from my Storme VX 6 speed to my Nano is a study in contrasts.

I've observed that people smile far more when I drive the Nano. The traffic police guided me through a tricky turn in front of Shanmukhananda Hall through utter traffic chaos caused by the M S Subbalakshmi concert.

2 wheeler riders take more care driving past my mirrors. Shopkeepers are more indulgent and let me park in front of their streetside stalls.

I can park in spots that never existed before and take U Turns that I'd never dream of in a Safari.

Of course, larger vehicles tend to treat a Nano more callously. Being used to being the Alpha Male on the road with the Safari, I naturally fight back... and the expressions on their faces is priceless when a little Candy Red Nano fights back. I know I shouldn't get into these silly ego battles on the road and need to learn to pull back. But oh the look on the face of that Superb driver.... Hahaha!

And the last observation - people tend to cross the road more confidently in front of a Nano. As if a Nano hurtling at 60 kmph hurts less than a Safari hurtling at 20 kmph. Just because the half-wit with headphones running accross my path thinks a '1 Lakh car' is probably made of papier mache !
Ferruccio is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 06:11   #895
Senior - BHPian

I know exactly what you mean about the many pros and the one con - of having to drive defensively in the Nano. I tend to drive differently in city traffic when I use my other car, a Gypsy. People give that a very wide berth.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 08:43   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I know exactly what you mean about the many pros and the one con - of having to drive defensively in the Nano. I tend to drive differently in city traffic when I use my other car, a Gypsy. People give that a very wide berth.
I am a devoted exponent of the Nano since its inception (I am on my 4th Nano !).
But I must admit that being bullied by the ubiquitous 2 wheelers darting in & out & all around the Nano has become a nightmare. This is compounded by the drum brakes, & to the low capacity of the vaccuum in the servo. Suddenly, when the vaccuum runs out, you find there is no servo assistance & just at that time, a biker decides to dart in !! Very unnerving !! I was planning to fix a small reservoir just before the servo unit to increase the overall vaccuum capacity, and views from others who have very obviously faced this situation ?
shramik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 10:27   #897
Senior - BHPian

I have never felt a lack of servo boost with the engine running, in any situation in the Nano. The brakes aren't the best, and one has to factor this into the driving style. Be sure what the problem is before attempting a fix that may create other more serious issues. Have you raised this with a competent Tata service person?
Old 24th April 2016, 10:32   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I have never felt a lack of servo boost with the engine running, in any situation in the Nano. The brakes aren't the best, and one has to factor this into the driving style. Be sure what the problem is before attempting a fix that may create other more serious issues. Have you raised this with a competent Tata service person?
Unfortunately, the quality of "mechanics" at almost all dealers is confined to "replacing" rather than diagnosis & repair, forget any question of modifications !
If you let them loose, these "mechanics" will replace every conceivable component of the braking system, and then yet we will be left the same problem !!!
You can make out lack of vaccuum by the sudden hardening of the pedal coupled with extra pedal effort for the same braking efficiency.
If you let the car idle for about 5 seconds allowing time for the vaccuum reservoir to fill up, the servo assistance returns immediately, so this clearly points to inadequate vaccuum capacity.
So the only answer is to increase vaccuum capacity.
shramik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 10:38   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
Unfortunately, the quality of "mechanics" at almost all dealers is confined to "replacing" rather than diagnosis & repair, forget any question of modifications !
If you let them loose, these "mechanics" will replace every conceivable component of the braking system, and then yet we will be left the same problem !!!
You can make out lack of vaccuum by the sudden hardening of the pedal coupled with extra pedal effort for the same braking efficiency.
If you let the car idle for about 5 seconds allowing time for the vaccuum reservoir to fill up, the servo assistance returns immediately, so this clearly points to inadequate vaccuum capacity.
So the only answer is to increase vaccuum capacity.
Doesn't it sound like the problem is more to do with air in the brake system? Has brake bleeding been tried as a 1st step?
Old 24th April 2016, 10:40   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Doesn't it sound like the problem is more to do with air in the brake system? Has brake bleeding been tried as a 1st step?
Air in the braking system means that the pedal does down, but after pumping the pedal, you regain pedal pressure & regain braking efficeincy. This is clearly lack of vacuum.
shramik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks