Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2016, 12:51   #976
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_T_A Rose View Post
The Bangalore dealers are giving insurance free and perhaps if one pushes further a few accessories (other than mudflaps & Mats) would get thrown in as freebies. Please note that though Persian Rose is a made to order colour, the waiting period doesnt extend because of that.
Thank you X_T_A Rose.
Did you mean the waiting period 'DOES' extend because of Persian Rose colour?
We have been told 20 days minimum.
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:09   #977
BHPian

Dear fellow team-bhp members and nano owners.
I want a help from you guys in making a decision.

From the past few days I have been reading reviews of the nano, ownership experiences, reviews etc. Here is why-
I own two pre-owned cars, a 2005 maruti suzuki swift (100000 kms) and a 2006 Chevy Optra (95000 kms). Both the cars have been fine till now in terms of reliability and all. But off lately, both of them have been giving me troubles with various parts, I have spent a decent amount of money to keep them running, most recently around 10k for replacing swift shockers etc. Recently the ac of optra died too on a hot summer afternoon.

But still whenever I have to go for a long trip, I take my brother's brio because I am just not confident in taking any of my cars due to the fear of break down as I mostly travel only with my gf.
That is when I think, when I cant even take the cars for outstation trips, what is the point in keeping both the cars when my monthly city running is hardly 800-1000 kms?

I have always loved the nano, for its looks, ease of driving and low cost of ownership (all this based on reading ownership reports and reviews).
I have four options right now-

My brother wants me to sell both the cars and buy a decent low mileage pre-worshipped car like his brio.
Second option is to keep both the cars and maintain them.
Third option is to sell swift and buy a new nano.
Fourth option is to sell both the cars and buy a 4-5 lakhs hatch, tiago and kwid I like.

I know this might sound lame because I am thinking of buying a nano for outstation trips mostly, but I have got this confidence after reading the ownership reports and experiences of you guys with your respective nanos.
Moreover, the lack of vitamin m is also a major reason, I really do not want to spend a lot of money from my income every month on car emi's.
I prefer keeping optra and selling swift, with swift's money and adding some more, I can make the down payment of nano, xta or xt, have not driven any.

So what do you guys suggest.
Sorry for such a long post.
Mods please move this post to the relevant thread if this is not where it should have been posted.

Last edited by Aksthedreamer : 23rd May 2016 at 18:13. Reason: added spaces between paragraphs for ease of reading
Aksthedreamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:24   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksthedreamer View Post
I am thinking of buying a nano for outstation trips mostly
While I am a big fan of the little car, it isn't meant for this application. You want a car with ABS/airbags, even a used one. Nano is a city car that can do a very careful highway drive once in a while, if there aren't better options.
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:39   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Aksthedreamer,
I own a Nano from 4.5 years, 30k kms clocked and still going strong. This includes long drives as well.

We have a WhatsApp group of Nano owners from across India. All of them (62) are happy and proud owners of the Nano, right from the first batch from 2009 till 2016, Std, CX, LX, Twist, XT, XTA.

We have members, one of them has clocked from 10K in 4 years and another one has clocked 175000kms in 6 years. One of them has driven his Nano from Pune to Kannyakumari and back. And another member has driven from Pandharpur to Delhi.

What more do I say, the car is definitely an engineering marvel. Only problem is the image of Tata and Nano in our country. If you can manage that part, you won't be disappointed to drive and own the car.
Costs less to own, costs less to run and gives you smile on the face every-time you drive it.
pankajn1702 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:59   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My brother wants me to sell both the cars and buy a decent low mileage pre-worshipped car like his brio.
Fourth option is to sell both the cars and buy a 4-5 lakhs hatch, tiago and kwid I like.
Nano after your current cars will feel very limited. I would suggest:

Option 1 or option 4
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:14   #981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear fellow team-bhp members and nano owners...
My first instinct says, sell both & get a Diesel Tiago.

Now, rationality takes over :

Are you sure you want to keep the Optra & sell the Swift. How's the part availability & service ?

Is it a Diesel Swift? Can it be brought to good condition with a small fortune?

I'm asking because Nano's drivability will feel like a downgrade compared to both, the Swift as well as Optra.

If possible, do elaborate on their upkeep / repair estimate.

If you're simply bored of them both, Tiago Diesel it is !
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 10:47   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Thank you X_T_A Rose.
Did you mean the waiting period 'DOES' extend because of Persian Rose colour?
We have been told 20 days minimum.
No, the made to order colour didnt extend the waiting period. In November the waiting period was 4 - 6 weeks irrespective of colour.

I believe Persian Rose Nano is now being ordered by many showrooms and have seen them being displayed alongside the sky-blue and Orange Tiagos. It gives the showroom a colourful look
Old 26th May 2016, 08:49   #983
BHPian

Hi Guys, Need help.

My sister is about to book Nano XMA in Prerana Motors Bangalore and they have quoted 3.53 l on road price (excluding gold AMC) and as a freebie they are giving seat cover.

If there a better deal available elsewhere in Bangalore, say Concorde motors.

Also is it worthwhile to go for Gold AMC for Rs. 3,567, which says 2 lakh KM / 2 years?

Thanks in advance.
KK
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img20160526wa00012.jpg  

Old 26th May 2016, 08:55   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Hi Guys, Need help.

Also is it worthwhile to go for Gold AMC for Rs. 3,567, which says 2 lakh KM / 2 years?

Thanks in advance.
KK
I don't know about the prices elsewhere but the AMC is total value for money! Even in free services consumables are normally chargeable but with the AMC even most consumables are covered. Your servicing bill with the AMC will be in hundreds rather than thousands!
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2016, 15:59   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Just my 2 cents.
If I were in your shoes I would have sold both and blindly gone in for a Tiago.
(Perhaps diesel if my running was to be beyond 12000 kms a year including the outstation trips)

Reasons:
  1. BIG step up in quality of plastics, interiors
  2. PROPER car. Small hatchback outside but spacious inside
  3. SAFETY - ABS, CSC, DUAL airbags, speed sensing door locks, pre-tensioner seat belts, Rock solid construction
  4. Amazing features. Unmatched. Would guarantee a nice smile on the face even after 5 years of usage

I am not against the Nano at all. Infact the Nano XTA is THE best car for city usage. Hands down. Pure city usage, especially a congested Metro nothing comes close. Be it the convenience of AMT or the sheer compact dimensions. The steering is a breeze too and the peppy engine is more than adequate for the city and some fun.
But highways ... like proper NH and long drives - In my book, that's a strict no-no for the Nano.
Better explained by this post here.

I am sure if you sell both and buy Tiago you will break even or have some cash left over.
But Tiago will tick all possible boxes - be it luggage space or comfort and add a few unexpected pleasant features too - like the HK system, steering mounted controls, bag hooks and the lot.

Hope this helps.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 18:43   #986
BHPian

Quote:

From the past few days I have been reading reviews of the nano, ownership experiences, reviews etc. Here is why-
I own two pre-owned cars, a 2005 maruti suzuki swift (100000 kms) and a 2006 Chevy Optra (95000 kms). Both the cars have been fine till now in terms of reliability and all. But off lately, both of them have been giving me troubles with various parts, I have spent a decent amount of money to keep them running, most recently around 10k for replacing swift shockers etc. Recently the ac of optra died too on a hot summer afternoon.

But still whenever I have to go for a long trip, I take my brother's brio because I am just not confident in taking any of my cars due to the fear of break down as I mostly travel only with my gf.
That is when I think, when I cant even take the cars for outstation trips, what is the point in keeping both the cars when my monthly city running is hardly 800-1000 kms?

I have always loved the nano, for its looks, ease of driving and low cost of ownership (all this based on reading ownership reports and reviews).
I have four options right now-

I know this might sound lame because I am thinking of buying a nano for outstation trips mostly, but I have got this confidence after reading the ownership reports and experiences of you guys with your respective nanos.
Moreover, the lack of vitamin m is also a major reason, I really do not want to spend a lot of money from my income every month on car emi's.
I prefer keeping optra and selling swift, with swift's money and adding some more, I can make the down payment of nano, xta or xt, have not driven any.

So what do you guys suggest.
Sorry for such a long post.
Mods please move this post to the relevant thread if this is not where it should have been posted.
Dear Aksthedreamer,

This might be out of topic but seeing many people having doubts on Nano's highway capabilities, I thought I have to put this down. So here it goes.

I own a 2012 LX model. I always travel to my home town in my nano, covering total distance of 1400 KM. My average speed being around 90kmph. And apart from regular service, I have never encountered any issues with my Nano.

In fact, once I was travelling at quite a good speed (may be around 90kmph. People familiar with Coimbatore-Palakad route would know the awesome road) when I hit a ditch running across the road. For a moment me and my wife and my kids were all numb. I thought I will need to carry all four wheel and the car separately but believe me, not a single shake or misalignment of any of the wheels till date.

This incident happened on my third trip to my home town. I had complete confidence on the Nano and after the incident I can say I am now over confident about it's capabilities/reliability.

Just for curiosity I read the post on the link, provided by Dr. Suraj. It is just too generic. It applies to all the cars so not just Nano.

Just follow basic rules and under the limitations of the car and you will be safe in the highways too.

Below are rules I follow,
1. Before long journey take the car to service center and tell them about your journey and they will check all the vital parameters.

2. Check air pressure before you start the journey. I usually do it early morning because the tyre is cooler and the pressure indication might be more accurate than filling it after running as the air inside might be hotter and pressuring reading may go wrong.

3. One can maintain sustained speeds of 100 to 110 kmph but Please slow down if you are not confident or even have a slightest of doubt.

4. Do not try highway racing. Its risky for all.

5. Over take one vehicle at a time and DO NOT over take if the vehicle in front of you is already over taking.

6. As far as possible use engine braking and also apply brakes in pulses (Not that the Nano cannot take it but just don't want to heat up the brake pads), unless in emergency situation.

7. Slow down at cross road, big or small, people are there or not. Never know what can come through.

8. Drive more carefully where there are trees or shrubs on the median/road dividers, as you cannot see man/animal that might want to cross the road.

Well, this is all I can think of sitting in my office

Hope this instills confidence in you about Nano's Highway capabilities.

My next plan: To travel from Southern most part of India to the Northern most part, in my Nano. Plans are under way, so wish me luck

Now coming to your point,

You will definitely feel lower performance if you go in for Nano as you will be down grading from more powerful hatches. So Tiago would be the best for you. And from the performance feed back I guess Diesel would be good as its smoother and more torque which could be better for your city rides. Never the less, Nano is the best all rounder if you can manage with the lower power/performance in comparison to your existing hatches.

But before anything else, PLEASE TEST DRIVE the cars of your choice which will help you decide better. I am sure Tata would be happy to bring both cars to your home for you to experience.

All the best.
T-Bone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 14:45   #987
BHPian

Hi T-Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Just for curiosity I read the post on the link, provided by Dr. Suraj. It is just too generic. It applies to all the cars so not just Nano.

Just follow basic rules and under the limitations of the car and you will be safe in the highways too.

My next plan: To travel from Southern most part of India to the Northern most part, in my Nano. Plans are under way, so wish me luck
I am planning a trip from Bangalore to Dwarka in my 2012 nano around first week of September. Can you please provide any Nano specific pointers?
Old 30th May 2016, 10:28   #988
BHPian

Hello friends,

Just wanted to update, We took delivery of a New Tata Nano Automatic in Sangria Red colour on Friday. The vehicle will be used exclusively by my wife with me also joining in the fun. However, it is me who is trying to come to terms with the driving of an automatic - since it is the first time I am driving one.

We have driven about 50 kms over the weekend. Couple of questions I need to ask the gurus :

1. I feel lack of power when taking a turn on a steep road. My house is situated on a hilly area with lots of small turnings and crosses.

2. The power delivery is not gradual - it sometimes doesn't respond - and sometimes just jumps ( particularly when I try to park it in the porch of my house - which has a steep ramp)

What am I doing something wrong here ? Your guidance will be immensely helpful in me understanding the vehicle better and ensure a smooth and jerkfree drive.

thanks in advance !!
Old 30th May 2016, 11:37   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post

1. I feel lack of power when taking a turn on a steep road. My house is situated on a hilly area with lots of small turnings and crosses.

2. The power delivery is not gradual - it sometimes doesn't respond - and sometimes just jumps ( particularly when I try to park it in the porch of my house - which has a steep ramp)

thanks in advance !!
I have been using NANO XTA since July 2015 and from my experience I found that you need to get used to the AMT behavior and it's a bit more tricky in a hilly environment. This car has a conventional gear box with AMT unit mounted on top of it. When faced with an inclination or a steep ramp the gear box downshifts based on your accelerator input. Now since the downshift happens with the disengagement of the clutch it will face momentary power loss. One way to overcome this issue is to shift to manual just before starting the climb and giving generous amount of throttle. This will help the engine deliver full power by not allowing the AMT from downshifting in the middle of the incline.

If you had to stop in the middle of the gradient its mandatory to use the handbrake from rolling back. Release the handbrake while simultaneously giving the throttle input just as we do in a manual car.

The reason for the sudden jumping while parking on a ramp can again be attributed to the throttle. This happens when the car is not moving with normal throttle input and then we start pressing the accelerator fully. Now comes the quirky behavior of the AMT. The revvs build up and the car starts moving forward and like in a conventional car we release the throttle quickly to modulate the speed. But what's actually happening is that around the half way mark the accelerator pedal starts working like a conventional clutch pedal so to avoid the jerky forward motion the accelerator pedal has to be released slowly. Then you will find the power being slowly fed to the wheels and the engine revvs coming down.

Also you need time to run in the car and I found a significant change in engine pick up post 1500km.
damodar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 02:14   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post

Now comes the quirky behavior of the AMT. The revvs build up and the car starts moving forward and like in a conventional car we release the throttle quickly to modulate the speed. But what's actually happening is that around the half way mark the accelerator pedal starts working like a conventional clutch pedal so to avoid the jerky forward motion the accelerator pedal has to be released slowly. Then you will find the power being slowly fed to the wheels and the engine revvs coming down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post

What am I doing something wrong here ? Your guidance will be immensely helpful in me understanding the vehicle better and ensure a smooth and jerkfree drive.
I have been using the XTA from June 2015 onwards and have a fair working experience with the AMT function. I completely agree with bhpian damodar. I had come to the same conclusion after trying to figure out why the car jumps sometimes and even stalls while releasing the accelerator pedal.

When the car does not move the revvs are capped to about 3500rpm. The rest of the accelerator pedal travel to the floor behaves kind of like a clutch pedal action. Once the car does not move forward due to a steep slope, you can try fully pressing the accelerator and when the revvs become steady at 3500rpm, release the accelerator very very slowly till about the half mark. You will feel the clutch biting in and the car will start moving up. (This action requires some space to be controlled. Please do not try this if you have a steep porch and are trying to park there. You do not want the car to end up crashing into your living room wall)

On the other hand if you just let go of the accelerator at this point, the clutch will just bite at 3500rpm and the car will jump forward and probably stall too. Granted, this is not easy to follow and will take a little bit of practice and might not be good for the clutch plate too. Always advisable to try not to stop in the midst of a gradient. And if you do have to stop, if the situation allows you, roll back down and build up momentum again.

For parking, you will have to shift into Manual 1st gear and time your speed and accelerator from the bottom of the gradient so that it stops exactly where you want. Hope this helps some!
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed