Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2016, 17:30   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

@MIk..

So what was your on road price or split of the overall price.
It would definitely help
Old 13th July 2016, 17:42   #1022
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@MIk..

So what was your on road price or split of the overall price.
It would definitely help
Sure.
Ex-showroom 316026
Road Tax 45603
RTO Charges 700
Discount 12000
-------------------------
OTR 350329

Free Insurance (The tata guys list it at 15.8k)
Free 2 yrs AMC (3.8xx k)
Token Mudflaps!

@Mods Please merge with my previous post for better readability.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 18:31   #1023
BHPian

Any feedback on service at Concorde on ORR (opposite JP Morgan)
Old 17th July 2016, 06:23   #1024

Booked a new Nano GenX AMT!
Wife had been asking for an automatic for some time. We already own an Amaze Petrol VxMT (2014). So, the Nano AMT was ticking all the boxes for a second car. One question we had to decide was whether to go for MT due to the fear that always using AMT will hinder the ability to wife to drive our Amaze. She has started driving only recently and only short distances in Alto. But then decided that the automatic will make all the difference to the driving quality for her and worth the risk. We always had loved the design of Nano. What we were concerned about was safety. Most people we asked for advise highlighted the absence of safety features. But I guess Nano is definitely better than a two wheeler or three wheeler and the Alto automatic, which is the closest competitor, is not having superior safety features. Our budget prevents us from going for higher automatics. The reason I upgraded my Alto to Amaze, was to have a car with dual airbags, which I consider to be a basic safety feature. If there was an option of airbag for Nano, I would have surely gone for it even if it had cost another Rs 50000. I can’t understand why Tata can’t provide that atleast as an option! The other thing that worries me is the poor braking with drum brakes. With my Alto I had upgraded the tyres to alloy and Michelin tubeless tyres on the day of purchase of the car itself. I feel that it had made a difference in the quality of ride for my Alto. So, my question to the esteemed experts here is whether doing the same to my Nano (ie. upgrading to alloy wheels and tubeless tyres) would improve the ride and breaking?
sebinz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 11:02   #1025
Senior - BHPian

The OE tyres are tubeless and the only thing you can do with them that will influence ride quality is to run a couple of pounds below the recommended pressures in the city. I would not recommend this practice on highway use though.

Braking is matter of getting used to it and in the city, at city speeds, isn't a problem.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 13:44   #1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The OE tyres are tubeless and the only thing you can do with them that will influence ride quality is to run a couple of pounds below the recommended pressures in the city. I would not recommend this practice on highway use though.

Braking is matter of getting used to it and in the city, at city speeds, isn't a problem.
Thank you Sawyer. Do you mean that switching to alloys will not add to the handling of the car? Or is it that its not worth the money spent in a car like Nano which does not go at high speed? Do you think upgrading the tyre size would increase stability?
Old 17th July 2016, 16:40   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Alloys will help handling, but not in a very significant way, the OE wheels aren't too heavy to start with. Buy them just for the looks, if you like that sort of thing.

Upgrading tyre size is NOT recommended; Tata has done a lot of work to get the OE sizes to be what they need to be for safest/best performance. As you must know, the front and rear tyres are of different sizes, by design.
Sawyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 17:00   #1028
BHPian

Sebinz - I have covered more than 8000 kms in my genx xt nano, the manual one. I didn't find any issues with the tyres. In fact I have used my nano extensively in highways and it handles speed of 100kms/he easily. It's an underestimated car.
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 03:53   #1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Sebinz - I have covered more than 8000 kms in my genx xt nano, the manual one. I didn't find any issues with the tyres. In fact I have used my nano extensively in highways and it handles speed of 100kms/he easily. It's an underestimated car.
Thanks Sairamboko. In fact, i remember when I had our Alto in 2009 (which was my first car and which i gave to my parents when we bought our Amaze in 2014), i used to to try to overtake the Nano with my Alto in the highways. I had thought that the 800 cc Alto would overtake the 600 cc Nano easily, but i found was a very difficult proposition to put into practice! I guess over the years i have matured as a driver as don't worry about overtaking smaller cars anymore
sebinz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 12:00   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Part II

By this time this is my go to car in the city. No nonsense drive, exceptional AC and park it anywhere i want to attitude is more than enough for me. The car keeps getting better but the sales guys are yet to fix the car.

Also i paid over 5K more than TAFE or other dealers. Avoid Tata Concorde as they are pricing the car way higher than any other deals. Krishna got a quote which is atleast 5K lower than what i paid and i was sold an old stock though they had new stock. I didnt care because i wanted the car on a particular date and 3 month difference is not something i am worried about.

Anyway coming to car i reiterate the space is just brilliant. Keeps getting bigger and the puny little trunk is actually very decent for a car of its size. For 500rs i get around 110kms in the city approximately i am guessing anywhere between 12-14kmpl in the city with full acon.

Interestingly the car behaves differently based on accelerator input. Forget the modes if you engage really hard on the accelerator the car shifts gear at higher rpm and on soft foot over the pedal it generally shifts way earlier. Its like the car is designed to react to the way we want it.

I was very worried about brakes earlier,but having used to it now, its actually not bad and stops well. I am not driving this at 100 anytime ever and i will stick to 60-70 even in open roads for i dont think the car was designed to be pushed beyond a limit. Its like driving an Omni and thinking its safe.

The most important part of feedback - The Bads

- As a driver there is no place to keep your hands. With no need for shifting gears your left hand is pretty much searching for something and i think they could have give a hand rest somewhere in the center as part of their brilliant design.

- Similarly the right hand elbow is also left soar as there is nothing to rest the hands on.

- Dead pedal and brake pedal are too close for any comfort. In fact its irritating since this is automatic and you need to hide your legs somewhere. Small feel can escape but size 12 shows arent fun.

- Interestingly you can use the acc pedal resting your leg on the right side which can act as a dead pedal on the right.

- AC vents are poor design. I wish they had a much simpler design of open and close and a left to right vent deflector.

- Lights are pretty much ok and the fog lights seems to be on all the time.

- Cabin lights - Your phone makes you car much more visible than this joker.

- The old age locks using those pointed levers on the door make so much noise to let you know, you get what you pay for and that means cheap quality plastic, springs and finish.

- Side mirrors- Should be bigger and have something to adjust from inside.

- Wiper is poor, water spray lacks any power and hardly cleans the windshield. Need to invest on better wiper

- Poor sound quality. Best for phone and radio. The speakers may be decent but the system on the car is of very poor quality. My 1 year completion spending will be to completely transform the audio system knowing i am spending over 80% on road in this car over my Jetta.

- Reverse gear - Dont expect torque based reversing that you are used. This requires the engine to get to higher RPM to supply the necessary torque to reverse in case your front wheel is at a slope.

- Climbs slope easilly but again requires good amount of throttle to get the torque going.

Overall - Must buy for city folks. Dont think its a cheap car. Its the cheap sales and marketing that is ruining this car. IMHO the Nano Auto can give a lot of sedans a run for their money and in City i do not see any other car having so much space to carry your entire family, power to carry that load and still cool the cabin and give you maximum pleasure while driving as well.

Just take a test drive that is more than a KM and you will not regret buying this Car. I dont.
VW2010 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 16:37   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Part II

Avoid Tata Concorde as they are pricing the car way higher than any other deals. Krishna got a quote which is atleast 5K lower than what i paid and i was sold an old stock though they had new stock.

Overall - Must buy for city folks. Dont think its a cheap car. Its the cheap sales and marketing that is ruining this car. IMHO the Nano Auto can give a lot of sedans a run for their money and in City i do not see any other car having so much space to carry your entire family, power to carry that load and still cool the cabin and give you maximum pleasure while driving as well.

Just take a test drive that is more than a KM and you will not regret buying this Car. I dont.
A good review VW2010 in two parts, most of the details are covered about this small wonder. I did take test drive of XTA for about 3-4 kms and initially it was bit difficult to drive with all four drum brakes and directly coming from driving manual geared Ford Figo. Later, after covering for about a kilometer, it turned out to be a fun driving car. Loved that we can shift over to manual gear instantly while driving in Auto mode. This seems easy to shift to low gears for some engine braking. Also tested the brakes and it seems that bite is weak and it stops on hard press and nothing to worry for city drive. This car is for Wifey to be used to drop & pick Kid & for some grocery shopping.

I would say Concorde Motors at Bangalore Dairy Circle are not friendly and supportive. A help from our fellow bhpian Mik also did not work and I was offered better discounts at Prerana Motors in Lalbagh Road.

Booked after discount discussions with S.A, they are offering free Insurance, free AMC(2year zero maintenance including consumables), 5K cash discount, 2K corporate discount, free mudflaps & mats. Will share more on deal after the buy.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 17:37   #1032
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
--

I would say Concorde Motors at Bangalore Dairy Circle are not friendly and supportive. A help from our fellow bhpian Mik also did not work and I was offered better discounts at Prerana Motors in Lalbagh Road.

Booked after discount discussions with S.A, they are offering free Insurance, free AMC(2year zero maintenance including consumables), 5K cash discount, 2K corporate discount, free mudflaps & mats. Will share more on deal after the buy.
Thats too bad it didn't work out.
Also would like to point out a few things before you get the car (I am getting mine tomorrow)
1. Do a detailed PDI. My PDI on Saturday yielded the following results
a. Left fog lamp loose.
b. Right rear bumper slightly scratched.
c. Left globe box with a spot of dirty.
d. Ill-fitted wheel-cap on right front tyre.
e. Rear left window plastic cladding slightly unhinged (the triangular thing. Not sure what its called)

All this after an official PDI had already been done.
2. Also, I am being told that the mud-flaps are not in stock. Do check for the same. If they confirm that they have it in Dairy Circle, do DM me.

Any plans on accessories ?
@Bangalore folks, do help out with any reliable shop which stores basic accessories like door beadings/seat covers etc for the Nano in East Bangalore.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 15:03   #1033
BHPian

Nano XTA 1 yr (5800 kms Service update)
I had purchased Nano XTA for my wifey on 24/7 which means that I am just about to complete one year anniversary of the vehicle.
At that time we test drove the Alto AMT and the Nano XTA before we chose the Nano over Alto. Having worked in Tata Motors I had made a few enquiries about the vehicle and the only limiting factor was the 'image'. My wifey didn't care about the image aspect and hence booked the Nano much before the actual launch.

After getting a feel for the vehicle for about a week (I own an Altis), I helped my wife ease into the vehicle.

In 1 year, the Nano has made 6 trips to the service center
- Routine 1 month service
- Fuel Gauge not accurate (stuck). Replaced the fuel pump assembly
- Fuel Gauge still not accurate. Fuel Pump was not the issue but the display unit required change. Display unit not available
- Display unit still not available (wrong one for manual Nano was sourced)
- Display unit changed and original fuel pump reinstalled.
- Fog Lamp Assembly Changed (Recall)
- 1 year service.

Since I was about to travel, I booked the service about a week in advance.
Process was smooth and the SA tried to up-sell AC cleaning and Interior Cleaning (both politely refused)

Car delivered as promised and the total bill was Rs 150 !! This included oil change, air filter change, Oil Filter change, wheel alignemt and minor niggles.
Compare this to the 170 rs I spent to commute back and forth for pick-up and delivery

Post the service, I have driven Nano for 100 kms. and have been clocking an average of 19 kmpl !! Its a record of sorts - lets see how long the smile lasts in Bangalore traffic.

Overall its been a wonderful addition to our family but more importantly that my wife has seamlessly moved from a 2 wheeler to a 4 wheeler.
That in itself is mission accomplished.
LonelyPlanet is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 23:53   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Also would like to point out a few things before you get the car (I am getting mine tomorrow)
Do a detailed PDI. My PDI on Saturday yielded the following results
a. Left fog lamp loose.
b. Right rear bumper slightly scratched.
c. Left globe box with a spot of dirty.
d. Ill-fitted wheel-cap on right front tyre.
e. Rear left window plastic cladding slightly unhinged
Congrats on the new purchase !!!!! and Thanks for the suggestion on PDI, the S.A., asked me to visit Prerana Motors Yard at Nelamangala and do PDI

Quote:
Also, I am being told that the mud-flaps are not in stock. Do check for the same. If they confirm that they have it in Dairy Circle, do DM me.
I have booked at Prerana and not Concorde

Quote:
Any plans on accessories ?
@Bangalore folks, do help out with any reliable shop which stores basic accessories like door beadings/seat covers etc for the Nano in East Bangalore.
I'm getting black "Y' shape alloys, the one which Alpahere has & costing 12K Concorde quoted Rs.16.75K for same alloys which they do not have stock and has to source from Tata, Pune & deliver only after 2 weeks. "Art leather seat+rear parking sensor" package for Rs.4.5K which is Rs.5K at Concorde.
Note that rear parking sensor is with just beap, beap & has no display. I am going with this at dealer as the electrical warranty will be intact.

For Door beading, window visor, car cover, you can visit J.C Road.
HighOctane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 16:24   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Nano XTA 1 yr (5800 kms Service update)

- Fuel Gauge not accurate (stuck). Replaced the fuel pump assembly
- Fuel Gauge still not accurate. Fuel Pump was not the issue but the display unit required change. Display unit not available
- Display unit still not available (wrong one for manual Nano was sourced)
- Display unit changed and original fuel pump reinstalled.
- Fog Lamp Assembly Changed (Recall)
For me the fuel float in the tank would get sometimes when I fill a tankful of fuel. Then it keeps on showing full tank forever. Initially they took out the assembly and fixed it by hand but after 2 full tanks it got stuck again. So the fuel pump module was replaced and now it seems to be working properly. I did not know that the display could be at fault too as I was thinking it just reads the signals from the float.

My fogs were changed 3 times under warranty due to cracks. Headlights were changed once for same reason. Recall initiated by me!
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed