Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2017, 10:49   #1186
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I completed 15000kms in less than an year ! Had used it extensively for city and also highways!! Still I am in shock of this news!
Apparently it would come out in a new improved avtar - the Pelican.
But yes - I agree with you all. It is the perfect city car - my in-laws have the XTA variant and I find it a breeze to navigate the crowded, narrow roads/lanes of Calicut. Also love the looks.
Just happened to sport the wrong badge I think (along with terrible marketing strategies). Else it should have been a bestseller.
Old 15th February 2017, 13:43   #1187
BHPian

i still count the news as a rumour, as i didn't find any official announcement of discontinuation from TATA motors.
Old 15th February 2017, 14:22   #1188
BHPian

Buying a automatic small car (< 4 lakhs) was always on my mind for the last 2 years. I was eagerly awaiting the launch of Tata Nano AMT. However was some how never convinced to go for it. Probably due to the fact that better AMT cars were available albeit a tad more expensive. I think i have come to accept the fact that a decent small automatic car would cost around 5 lakhs. And it is always better to pay a higher price (within a certain limit) to get a better car rather than to save money and buy a mediocre car. Tata Nano always had the potential but was sadly let down by the team. A more expensive Tata Nano with certain additional features (safety/build) would have definitely sold more numbers. Now looking forward to Tiago AMT.

Last edited by dpkbehera : 15th February 2017 at 14:24. Reason: Spelling
Old 17th February 2017, 11:52   #1189
BHPian

Just took delivery of XTA AMT. I always liked Nano but this is the first time I drove it. Now I like it even more. I'm thinking how I can fit Nano's AC in my Vento!

I know there are better cars for some more money but my requirement were very clear. I wanted the smallest automatic for my dad just so that he stops using his activa!
troublemaker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 14:52   #1190
Senior - BHPian

With TML, I worry a lot less about discontinuation than almost any other make; support will be available for a long time.

While it would be a pity, it would gain in presence for not being over exposed!
Old 28th February 2017, 09:28   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
Just took delivery of XTA AMT. I always liked Nano but this is the first time I drove it. Now I like it even more. I'm thinking how I can fit Nano's AC in my Vento!

I know there are better cars for some more money but my requirement were very clear. I wanted the smallest automatic for my dad just so that he stops using his activa!
Hi,
I also got our Nano XTA (Pearl White Color) for my dad last Saturday from MK Motors Kottayam, Kerala.
Overall impressed with the car's capability.
Ultimate AC, Great leg room and head rooms. Feather flow steering, and obviously the AMT gear box is something which needs a huge applause.

One query I have on Nano XMT which anyone who is following the tjread can help me with :

It makes a lot of sound ,be it on idle mode and when you switch ON the AC the sound hardens and it sounds like a PIAGGIO APE auto. I was really surprised to hear the sound when the dealer got my car for delivery from their stock yard and it sound very odd for such a cute car.

Dealer told me that the "dapp dapp" sound will be there till some 4000kms and its common for Nano's XTA model (Automatic model).

Can any one throw some light on this? Is it true? WIll the sound reduce as the car clocks more kilometers?

Old 28th February 2017, 09:36   #1192
Senior - BHPian

It makes a lot of sound - yes, but that is on the outside at the rear, in my 2013 car. Why bother?!

On the inside with all the windows up, it is silent enough for the price. I can listen to music without having it playing too loud. Just make sure that the sound insulation mat placed on top of the engine cover isn't missing.
Old 28th February 2017, 10:20   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
It makes a lot of sound - yes, but that is on the outside at the rear, in my 2013 car. Why bother?!

On the inside with all the windows up, it is silent enough for the price. I can listen to music without having it playing too loud. Just make sure that the sound insulation mat placed on top of the engine cover isn't missing.

Yes, that is all super good, they have got good sound insulation done for the cabin. But still a bit skeptical on the sound from the silencer, is it because some faulty engine, or the dealer has done something (may be a hit and repair) to the car before delivering to me. If its something which is their with all XTA models during the initial days and later it comes down, I'm happy to wait
Old 28th February 2017, 10:27   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Yes!
It is here - FINALLY. The ONE review that matters the most.
How safe do you think going above 80s on Nano GenX? Im a beginner with Nano (just nearing a week with the new car), thats why this question.

Last edited by manson : 28th February 2017 at 21:03. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 28th February 2017, 10:45   #1195
Senior - BHPian

The Nano is a city car, and there are very few Indian cities that have places where you can exceed 80. Be very sure of how the brakes respond before running higher speeds.
As to te engine noise, compare the sound from outside with that from other new Nanos the next time you get a chance and then decide how your car sounds.
Old 28th February 2017, 10:50   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The Nano is a city car, and there are very few Indian cities that have places where you can exceed 80. Be very sure of how the brakes respond before running higher speeds.
As to te engine noise, compare the sound from outside with that from other new Nanos the next time you get a chance and then decide how your car sounds.
Not in cities, I was asking about highways and specifically while negotiating corners. Just need to understand some actual experiences from veteran Nano people
Old 28th February 2017, 10:59   #1197
Senior - BHPian

Negotiating corners isn't a problem, but you have to be fully aware of how the car stops from speeds that you drive at. That is true with any car; before you reach any speed in it, you have to know how the car will stop and how long it will take to do so. Relying on other people's advice when your safety is concerned is not a good idea. Find some empty stretches, be aware of what is around you, and then see how the car feels under braking and its stopping distances at every speed range you plan to drive in, so you don't experience any unpleasant surprises when you do. There is no better way than this and there is no safer shortcut either. This is even more important in Nano because there is little frontal protection in terms of crumple zones if you have more speed than braking distance in an emergency.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 11:09   #1198
BHPian

I have a Nano XTA and it has run around 5K in the past one year.
It does sound like a tin can from outside; however, with all windows rolled up and slight music playing, you would hardly notice the exhaust note.

As for the speeds it can run comfortably without giving any surprises, I personally feel, 55-60 KMPH is the sweet spot. This is where it gives maximum mileage and breaks feel adequate. Anything above that, things start to get a bit scary. Even more if you have three adults travelling with you. (In total four on-board)

On a couple of short highway runs (less than 50 KM one side), I could take it upto 90 KMPH (for not more than a few seconds); however, the road was straight with good surface and no traffic since it was early morning around 4:30 AM. The feeling is not that great and confidence inspiring to say the least.

The issue I face is, in bumper to bumper traffic with 'A' selected, the car at times leaps with a jerk. If I shift to manual mode, things are a tad bit under control. Planning to get it checked during the 1st year service due in April. Apart from this, there have been no complains. I am consistently getting around 17-18 KMPH with AC in bumper to bumper traffic of hinjawadi IT park!
ObsessedByFIAT is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 12:21   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Not in cities, I was asking about highways and specifically while negotiating corners. Just need to understand some actual experiences from veteran Nano people
I used to own the XT manual variant. It handled speeds of 100 easily in highways. You need to understand and have a control over the car. While negotiating corners one needs to reduce the speed and be aware of surroundings. Just understand it's braking system and how long does it take you to bring the car to a stop. I did over 13,000kms in highways of my total 15,000kms of ownership experience. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 28th February 2017, 18:24   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
It makes a lot of sound ,be it on idle mode and when you switch ON the AC the sound hardens and it sounds like a PIAGGIO APE auto. I was really surprised to hear the sound when the dealer got my car for delivery from their stock yard and it sound very odd for such a cute car.

Dealer told me that the "dapp dapp" sound will be there till some 4000kms and its common for Nano's XTA model (Automatic model).

Can any one throw some light on this? Is it true? WIll the sound reduce as the car clocks more kilometers?
AMT versions have a different muffler design when compared to manual ones. When the engine is loaded at idle like when ac is running or while starting off, the 'dapp dapp' sound increases. I have driven 15,000 km in 1.5 years now, the sound still remains same. Don't hold your breath for it to reduce!

Quote:
How safe do you think going above 80s on Nano GenX? Im a beginner with Nano (just nearing a week with the new car), thats why this question.
Its safe to do 80kph all right when you have a free road. It can do a max of 115kph indicated on the speedo. After that the fuel supply cuts out. Like already mentioned the brakes need getting used to. The car is quite steady at high speeds but panic braking can give an unpleasant surprise. The car tends to wallow all over the place. You would not only need a steady hand on the wheel but also need to correct the course depending on where the car is moving about. So I would not recommend doing high speeds above 70 when there is even a hint of traffic on the road.

I experienced this while I was overtaking a bus from the right at about 90kph on a dual lane highway when he suddenly decided to cut across to the right. I pressed the brake, heard a squeal from one of the front tyres and the car veered towards the bus Thankfully I had both my hands on the wheel and did some correction to come back on a safe course without crashing into the bus or the divider. On most other cars this scenario we can get out easily by just braking.

About negotiating corners, due to the less weight in front it does not understeer much and you can carry good speeds into corners as long as there is no load in the car. Just be aware that the steering wheel will not self center till you cross about 30kph once after the engine is started (I'm not sure if the newer ones are still like this).
alphahere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks