Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2017, 12:04   #1201
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post

1. Its safe to do 80kph all right when you have a free road. It can do a max of 115kph indicated on the speedo. After that the fuel supply cuts out. Like already mentioned the brakes need getting used to. The car is quite steady at high speeds but panic braking can give an unpleasant surprise. The car tends to wallow all over the place. You would not only need a steady hand on the wheel but also need to correct the course depending on where the car is moving about. So I would not recommend doing high speeds above 70 when there is even a hint of traffic on the road.

2. I experienced this while I was overtaking a bus from the right at about 90kph on a dual lane highway when he suddenly decided to cut across to the right. I pressed the brake, heard a squeal from one of the front tyres and the car veered towards the bus Thankfully I had both my hands on the wheel and did some correction to come back on a safe course without crashing into the bus or the divider. On most other cars this scenario we can get out easily by just braking.

3. About negotiating corners, due to the less weight in front it does not understeer much and you can carry good speeds into corners as long as there is no load in the car. Just be aware that the steering wheel will not self center till you cross about 30kph once after the engine is started (I'm not sure if the newer ones are still like this).
1. I have to agree with you. The car is definitely pretty stable to do decent speeds if the road is empty and especially if there are no strong winds. The Nano, being so tall and so small in terms of footprint easily gets affected by winds. While taking it on the highway, it's way more comfortable to drive this on two lane highways with lots of trees all around than on four or six lane open roads purely due to the intense winds. You need to have extremely steady hands to maintain very high speeds. Till 90, the winds are surely manageable though.

2. The braking incident you mentioned sounds so scary. Hope nothing of that sort happens in the future!

3. About the self-centering, it gets activated after that said speed or also by turning the steering completely to either of the sides. Try taking a full U-turn right after starting up and the self-centering will start working.

Cheers!
Old 8th March 2017, 16:07   #1202
BHPian

Respect to Carlos Ghosn for giving credit to Ratan Tata and Nano for "inspiring" Kwid (y)

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/57534266.cms
Old 9th March 2017, 16:39   #1203
Senior - BHPian

Nano only sold around 300 units in Feb.Future is uncertain for Nano it seems.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/56982740.cms
Old 14th March 2017, 10:40   #1204
BHPian

I got a call from the dealer in Bangalore that there is an updation available for my car. On asking what it was, he said that the windscreen washer motor needs to be updated.

Since the car was not with me in Bangalore, I had to get someone to take it to a TASS at Kochi. They have done the updation but I have no idea whether something was replaced or repaired or what.

Has anyone received a call for this? It could be only for a particular batch of vehicles. Mine is a 2015 June model.
Old 16th March 2017, 12:51   #1205

Hello,

I am in the market for a small AMT hatch, and had narrowed down to the Nano XTA and Alto AMT. With the news of the nano project being shelved, I had more or less decided to go for the Alto AMT. Neither models had any discounts being offered in the month of Feb.

This morning I received a call from the TATA dealer offering Rs.15000 discount on 2017 Nano XTA (all colours available), and about Rs.45000 discount on Sep/Oct-2016 models (Only red and blue available). These offers have once again kindled interest in the Nano.

Request experts to share their opinion regarding the following...

1. Given that the Nano project seems to be shelved, would it be a good idea to go for a Nano at this point in time?
2. Given that the XTA model has been in the market for less than two(?) years, would spares and service become a pain point later on?
3. Request current owners of Nano XTA to share their feedback for a first time user of AMT.

Thanks in advance.

Warmest Regards.
Old 16th March 2017, 13:21   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_sajeev View Post
Hello,

I am in the market for a small AMT hatch, and had narrowed down to the Nano XTA and Alto AMT. With the news of the nano project being shelved, I had more or less decided to go for the Alto AMT. Neither models had any discounts being offered in the month of Feb.

This morning I received a call from the TATA dealer offering Rs.15000 discount on 2017 Nano XTA (all colours available), and about Rs.45000 discount on Sep/Oct-2016 models (Only red and blue available). These offers have once again kindled interest in the Nano.

Request experts to share their opinion regarding the following...

1. Given that the Nano project seems to be shelved, would it be a good idea to go for a Nano at this point in time?
2. Given that the XTA model has been in the market for less than two(?) years, would spares and service become a pain point later on?
3. Request current owners of Nano XTA to share their feedback for a first time user of AMT.

Thanks in advance.

Warmest Regards.
We got our NANO XTA 3 weeks back and TATA has given some 4 years warranty for the vehicle and some special replacement warranty on all parts except Tires and Battery which is more than enough for a TATA vehicle. For the next 4 years you dont have to worry at all as TATA will be taking care of the spares post that I dont think it will be a big issue to source out the spares for this vehicle as the spare costs will not be that expensive since its TATA and the vehicle cost is also the least when considering any segments.
Bibin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 13:44   #1207

Thanks for the update Bibin.

That does look like a sweet deal on the warranties.
Could you please share the details of the 4 years warranty and the special replacement warranty ?
Is the 4 years warranty standard on Nano or is it a combination of standard+extended?

Which dealer was the car purchased from ?

Warmest Regards.

Edit:
Confirmed from dealer that the standard warranty is 4yrs/60000km
Please do share which dealer this was from, and if any discounts were offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
We got our NANO XTA 3 weeks back and TATA has given some 4 years warranty for the vehicle and some special replacement warranty on all parts except Tires and Battery which is more than enough for a TATA vehicle. For the next 4 years you dont have to worry at all as TATA will be taking care of the spares post that I dont think it will be a big issue to source out the spares for this vehicle as the spare costs will not be that expensive since its TATA and the vehicle cost is also the least when considering any segments.

Last edited by p_sajeev : 16th March 2017 at 13:50. Reason: Updated with inouts from TATA dealer
Old 16th March 2017, 14:02   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Could you please share the details of the 4 years warranty and the special replacement warranty ?
Is the 4 years warranty standard on Nano or is it a combination of standard+extended?

Edit:
Nano comes with 4 years/60K standard warranty. Also, what Bibin is referring to is the 2 year AMC package which was being offered free of cost during September to december last year. The AMC is a comprehensive one including even plastic rubber and wear and tear parts like brake drums etc and even consumables like oil, filters etc. The MRP of the package was 3400 odd IIRC. Don't know whether they still provide this free of cost. Which city are you planning to get the car at? Bibin I reckon got it in Kerala. Offers are usually different across states. Kerala always had better offers for Nano - I don't know why.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 16th March 2017 at 14:11.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 14:04   #1209
BHPian

Quote:

Warmest Regards.

Edit:
Check this out: http://service.tatamotors.com/content/value-care

or
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...reviews-2.html

to get more details, I think mine is Gold PLan.

4 year warranty is the usual warranty which they give for all vehicles if Im right which takes care of the engine and electrical parts till 4 years but not on wear and tears.
During the 1st 2 years you dont even have to pay a single penny for all 2 services since you are covered in AMC, even the consumables and labor charge will also get covered in AMC

Last edited by Bibin : 16th March 2017 at 14:06. Reason: replaced with correct url
Old 16th March 2017, 14:09   #1210
BHPian

I took the vehicle from MK Motors in Kottayam,Kerala and they told some 65K benefits were there which I'm still not able to tally

Anyways I got the vehicle hit the road for 3.10Laks inclusive of Tax, Insurance, AMC and eveything
Old 16th March 2017, 14:36   #1211

Bibin and sandsun7,

Thanks you for your valuable inputs. Definitely helps building confidence towards a decision.

I have one more query about going for a 2016 model.
The models being offered are Sep/Oct models. How advisable is it to go for a 5/6 month old vehicle?
I am assuming that it hass been sitting out in a dealer yard and not doing demo/test car duties. Is there any way to verify this?

Any special precautions I need to take care of before and during the delivery?

Warmest Regards.
Old 16th March 2017, 19:05   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Nano only sold around 300 units in Feb.Future is uncertain for Nano it seems.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/56982740.cms
I'm a proud owner of Nano XT Twist. I'm also a satisfied customer both in terms of the product and the overall services offered.

As a city car, in my opinion, it's the best car. It gives much more value for the money spent. I would like to reiterate:

1. Excellent drive and handling
2. Chilling AC
3. Optimum power for 2 people and 2 kids on board (you should know how to drive nano for the fun it gives)
4. Can park anywhere
5. An economy of 15 to 17 kmpl in any condition in city. On highway it is above 19 kmpl. With 2 adult and 2 kids, AC on and recommended tyre pressure.
6. A lot of space for all.
7. Good space to keep my grocery shopping in the boot. Can keep your lunch-box hot in the boot.
8. Turning radius is amazing.
9. It's such a beauty..cuty

And many more...

Even for all these if Nano is failing only Tata Motor to blame for that. It's appear a lack of will power. Also, marketing and sales team may not be doing their homework properly and targeting the segment appropriately.
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 07:24   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bibin and sandsun7,

Thanks you for your valuable inputs. Definitely helps building confidence towards a decision.

I have one more query about going for a 2016 model.
The models being offered are Sep/Oct models. How advisable is it to go for a 5/6 month old vehicle?
I am assuming that it hass been sitting out in a dealer yard and not doing demo/test car duties. Is there any way to verify this?

Any special precautions I need to take care of before and during the delivery?

Warmest Regards.
Now a days most of the demo cars are different cars registered in the name of dealer. The only way to verify is to check signs if the car is used.. look at tyres, seat fabric, A/B pedals, brake pads etc for wear and tear. A new car should have zero wear.

I am not seeing a problem with a 5/6 month old car if Tata is giving a 6 year warranty along with a sweet deal and buyer is taking good precautions to make sure he/she is not buying a lemon.

There are threads in team-bhp which discuss exclusively this point, please do a search. Most of the time its a personal preference whether to buy a 5/6 month old new car than a technical/financial discussion.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 08:01   #1214
Senior - BHPian

I don't know how anyone can be sure of NOT getting a lemon. All one can do is look for obvious but minor things like body damage. And then rely on the make/warranty for assurance.

I see no issue with a car sitting in the stock yard for a few months, so long as all warranties - car, tyre, battery - start from the date of purchase. But if you know that this is the case, it is a good start towards getting a discount.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 08:18   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
Can keep your lunch-box hot in the boot.
Missed your point here. Would you please elaborate.

Most Viewed