Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:42   #1261
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Hi arjithin,

As per TASS the engine bay is never washed due to the presence of "sensors". I have already questioned three of their outlets about this. They are willing to do it if the customer insists but say they will not be responsible for any issues after the washing. One of the SA's said that even in other cars the engine bay is never washed!!

SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:17   #1262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
One of the SA's said that even in other cars the engine bay is never washed!!

SS
This is true with Hyundai at least. I have seen educational posters in their service centers recommending NOT to spray water in the engine bay. Haven't seen or heard the same from Tata, and have not looked into my Nano's engine "bay" yet though.
ph03n!x is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:33   #1263
Senior - BHPian

I have owned Maruti, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Fiat at different times, all cars with ECU and other electronics. Engine bays were/are always washed. Washing staff knows where the high pressure water isn't to be aimed.
Old 2nd May 2017, 23:07   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post

Now all set to go for my first long drive (~1000 km) on 29th April to 1st May.
Back from the trip. Car performed well within its limits. I normally take ~8 hours for one side trip in my Ertiga, Nano took only 30 more minutes.

Mileage returned was ~18.5 kmpl with 40% AC

Two problems of Nano AMT impacted the overall driving experience negatively.

1. The AMT gearbox cannot identify the right gears in hilly areas and the lack of power is very evident. I was driving mostly in manual mode over the hilly terrain, still it was pain to gain momentum. There was one stretch where I was on stop and go kind of traffic for ~6 km in steep climb, and I had a tough time. While coming down, the gearbox incorrectly shifted from 2 to 1 at around 20-30 kmph twice for no reason/throttle input - Looks like some software bug.

2. 5th gear - Another pain. Car shifts to 5th gear around 70kmph, but then loses out power to accelerate further. To worsen it, car wont downshift until speed drops below 60 kmph. This behavior is a pain in roads like Bangalore -Mysore highway where most of the time we drive in 60-80kmph range. Manual mode again comes to rescue here - shift to 5th only after vehicle crosses 85kmph and similarly downshift to 4th as soon as speed comes below 80kmph. (But I should admit, 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 shifts are pretty quick)

Nano can do 1000 km without major problems; but if you have a bigger car at home, take that and leave Nano for city duties

Quote:

Also few more questions

1. The oil reservoir for AMT is close to the minimum mark. Is that normal? Car completed second service last week

2. What is the opening on the passenger side C pillar inside for? It has some form kind of material inside.

3. What are the electronic stuff on the driver side C pillar ? ( Almost at the same location as the opening in Q2)

4. Is there anything to be fitted on the blue hole on the projected metal piece on the top left side of the picture?
Any pointers on these questions?
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:50   #1265
BHPian

Quote:

1. The AMT gearbox cannot identify the right gears in hilly areas and the lack of power is very evident. I was driving mostly in manual mode over the hilly terrain, still it was pain to gain momentum. There was one stretch where I was on stop and go kind of traffic for ~6 km in steep climb, and I had a tough time. While coming down, the gearbox incorrectly shifted from 2 to 1 at around 20-30 kmph twice for no reason/throttle input - Looks like some software bug.
Did you try the Sport mode? I found the Sport mode to be best for tackling hilly roads, preferring it over the Manual / Auto modes. Tried all three and felt Sport mode was best for hairpin bends / accelerating ahead of slow moving traffic and also to get a move on, once you have slowed down almost to a stop. Suggest you try Sport mode the next time

Quote:
2. 5th gear - Another pain. Car shifts to 5th gear around 70kmph, but then loses out power to accelerate further. To worsen it, car wont downshift until speed drops below 60 kmph. This behavior is a pain in roads like Bangalore -Mysore highway where most of the time we drive in 60-80kmph range. Manual mode again comes to rescue here - shift to 5th only after vehicle crosses 85kmph and similarly downshift to 4th as soon as speed comes below 80kmph. (But I should admit, 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 shifts are pretty quick)
Agreed. The 5th gear seems to have a mind of its own. Felt the same on the Bangalore - Mysore highway myself. While the first 4 gears are fine with appropriate throttle inputs, the 5th has been difficult to understand.
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:06   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I got some time yesterday and decided to open the engine bay of Nano, and realised that engine bay is not cleaned after service. Is it how normally tata service normally leave?

The engine noise is very different from the exhaust note, what we hear from driving seat is the exhaust note only indicating that any more underbody sound damping will not help. Doors and rear hatch door are the target for sound damping.

Also few more questions

1. The oil reservoir for AMT is close to the minimum mark. Is that normal? Car completed second service last week
Attachment 1634934

2. What is the opening on the passenger side C pillar inside for? It has some form kind of material inside.

Attachment 1634932
Attachment 1634933
3. What are the electronic stuff on the driver side C pillar ? ( Almost at the same location as the opening in Q2)

4. Is there anything to be fitted on the blue hole on the projected metal piece on the top left side of the picture?

Attachment 1634935

1.Same in mine too. As per service centre this is "naarmaal". Am keeping a close eye on the fluid level though. Till now it has not dropped. (10,000+kms)

2. Nano has the air intake snorkel on one side and a cabin de-pressurising flap, also known as "drafter" on the other side. When all windows are closed and you shut a door or the hatch, the cabin pressure is relieved through this aperture. Avoids the windows popping out

3. The ECU is located there

4. Nope. That bracket possibly was factored in as a provision for fitting something else / some factory fitted accessory which never saw light of day
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 15:45   #1267
BHPian

Hi guys,

I just got the 20k kms/ 2 years service done at Trivandrum Motors. The odo is still at 19,500 and will turn two years only in the next week, so yeah I did it in advance. I had a friend over there the last time I went but I was informed that he moved to another job. So yeah, I called them on 23rd May and booked an appointment for 24th May at 9.00 AM. They called me once again in the evening to confirm the appointment.

As usual, I cleared all the things from my car, checked if all documents are right and reached the service facility at 9 AM. Other than a minor delay to find a parking spot, everything happened quickly. A SA was appointed immediately who rightaway confirmed my AMC details and walked along to the car. The following were the complaints I had:

1) There were a very few moments in the last few months when I had to crank for a couple of seconds to get the car started
2) Clutch action was not smooth
3) Gearshifts were slightly harder
4) Twice, the MID got reset while the car was running.
5) Horn went meek
6) Slight jerk whenever I release the accelerator pedal.

He promptly noted them down and promised a delivery the same evening, in case if no other complaints were found. I got a confirmation call at 4 PM saying my car is ready! I was having my class and was able to reach there by 5.30PM. The car was ready and looked neat. Problem 2,3 and 6 were associated with a faulty clutch cable which would arrive within a week. The others, as told by him, were rectified. I shall confirm that in the coming days. Since their internet was down since noon, they could not provide me the bill but promised to mail them the next day. I happily agreed and left the place as the bill was anyways zero. I'm anyways waiting for the invoice to confirm the works carried out. I'm extremely cautious about the works being carried out because -

1) Coolant Fluid needed replacement at 40,000 km or 2 years! In my previous Nano and also my Eon, they did not change it saying its not yet 40,000.

2) The same case with Brake Fluid.

With both these incidents, I even had a fight to get a warranty claim right. So i make sure to cross check each and every work they do.

Overall, the service experience was extremely satisfactory. Trivandrum Motors is opening a dealership near Chakka, right beside the Skoda showroom. This facility will also have a new service center and is hoping to be opened in another three months I was told. The existing facility is so tiny and no premium vehicle owner would be comfortable to take it there! Anyways, I would rate them way higher than Focuz motors as well as the service I got from Maruti as well as Hyundai!

Attaching a pic taken right after the service using my new phone! Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-fullsizerender.jpg
Cheers!
freakmuzik is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 16:10   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
!

Attaching a pic taken right after the service using my new phone! Attachment 1642162

Cheers!
Nice photo mate! iPhone SE?
Old 26th May 2017, 10:21   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Nice photo mate! iPhone SE?
Thank you! And yes, it's an iphone SE

Btw, I want to keep the car for long because this seems to be so damn perfect to drive in the city with absolutely chilling A/C, light controls, lots of space, an openable boot (finally), low maintenance and good FE. But I would seriously like to have some more power. So, what's your thought on this? Is this 2 cylinder heart fit for a remap and is there a possibility for it to affect other parameters like braking and handling?
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:01   #1270
BHPian

Just an update for people looking to buy nano in Delhi. I went to concorde motors akshardham yesterday to enquire about nano amt.

I was told by the SA that there are hardly any nano cars left in the city, nano manual going for flat 1.99 on road. Stock of around 8-9 nano manual.

Roughly 5-6 nano amt cars left, 25000 exchange discount, 28000 cash discount and insurance free.
Old 6th June 2017, 06:29   #1271
BHPian

Any member who purchased the Nano AMT in Hyderabad - please post details as to how your experience was. Am planning to buy the Nano AMT in a couple of months time when I am in Hyderabad. If possible - I would like to prebook with a deposit ahead of time - so that way when I am there I wont have to wait long. They opened a new Tata dealer - Venkataramana Motors Gachibowli - not sure who they are - in addition to the regular Tata dealers there Malik cars and Concorde motors.

Seeing this thread and Team BHP regarding the Nano AMT - looks like it is the absolute VFM out there in this segment. Am surprised the Alto sells more than Nano - no match really sales wise - but the pros still beat out the cons. Atleast for me the deciding factors are - 180mm high ground clearance. chilling AC and high seating position with ample rear leg room and ease of parking the city. Hyderabad is so crazy congested nowadays - and looks like the Nano's AMT and small parking size are an absolute boon plus the price at which it is sold is the icing on the cake.

Last edited by deltheking : 6th June 2017 at 06:31.
Old 6th June 2017, 06:58   #1272
Senior - BHPian

4 years after I bought mine, I have no regrets and it makes more sense in Pune today than what it did in 2013 for city use. It does not have power steering or AMT, and I see no reason to upgrade for those features that, IMO, complicate the philosophy of the car for little benefit. Interiors are the same and as good as the car sold today, so to my mind the 2013 model is the ideal iteration of the concept.
Old 6th June 2017, 14:33   #1273
BHPian

Here is my update on my Tata Nano XTA:
Car is now 10 months old and has done close to 12000 kilometres.
Within the city it is so comfortable to drive and the small turning radius is an absolute boon in heavy traffic conditions and the ability to fit in tight parking spots is something to be experienced.
I've also done 7 to 8 one day outstation trips close to 300 km each and from cruising ability point of view, it can maintain 80 km per hour all day without skipping a beat. However the highway manners, as already been discussed, is not confidence inspiring. And Brakes are the weakest point, both within the city and on the highways.
I've been getting mileage of around 14 to 15 kilometres per litre within the city and around 20 km per litre in highways.

The car was very reliable all throughout and had no issues. First service was done at 10000 km and since I had taken gold AMC, it costed me 250 rupees for the consumables.

Issues are reported were occasional belt noise and gear not shifting to neutral while the car is in motion. The first issue was sorted and the gear issue was not fixed as it wasn't happening all the time and they mentioned it could not be replicated. However the service advisor called up after the service and mentioned that they will fix the gear issue if I faced it in future (it needs to be fixed).
Apart from the above issues, over the past 10 months, exactly in two instances the car after starting did not respond to accelerator input. Coincidently my wife was driving and I was not around to check it in person. In the first instance after maybe 5 or 10 minutes the car started and everything functioned normally and she go back home. In the second instance, I went to pick it up and again started normally and functioned without any hitch. I stated this during service and asked them if there are any error logs, nothing was found.
To sum it up, overall experience was delightful and everytime I look at the car, it brings a smile on my face. Some of my co passengers are pleasantly surprised by the space it provides as well as chiller AC.
It is such a pity that a well engineered product, and almost a perfect one for city commute has not been appreciated by the market.
tifosikrishna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 12:30   #1274
BHPian

Dear TATA Nano AMT owners, my friend is considering the Nano AMT and we have some questions, can you please clarify these queries:

Does Nano AMT suffer from the juddering issue that celerio and alto amt have ?

What is the diff in cost for a clutch plate change between nano MT and nano AMT ?

And approximately at what Km does a nano AMT require clutch to changed ? (Mostly city driving )

Any other difference between nano top end AMT and nano top-end MT in terms of service cost , other than AMT clutch ?
Old 17th July 2017, 21:42   #1275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Dear TATA Nano AMT owners, my friend is considering the Nano AMT and we have some questions, can you please clarify these queries:
Does Nano AMT suffer from the juddering issue that celerio and alto amt have ?

Yes, all AMTs will have the juddering. You can minimize it by following some techniques, but cannot avoid it fully. Higher gear shifts are smoother.

What is the diff in cost for a clutch plate change between nano MT and nano AMT ?

My assumption is that it wont be much different. AMT is 5 speed gear box and manual is 4 speed gearbox

And approximately at what Km does a nano AMT require clutch to changed ? (Mostly city driving )

This varies greatly person to person and car to car. Cannot give a km range as a generic number. Search the forum to find out when people have changed clutch in their nanos

Any other difference between nano top end AMT and nano top-end MT in terms of service cost , other than AMT clutch ?

Not much. if the car has AMC packages, then it wont make any difference at all. But even if no AMC is purchased, the difference will be few couple of hundred rupees at the max (Even though I dont expect the charges to be different).
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks