Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2020, 17:33   #1411
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

My Dazzle Blue 2016 Nano XTA with 19K on odometer, no issues at all, just the regular yearly service.
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20190930_073552.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-dsc_1041.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20190930_073434.jpg
Vinod_nair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 18:25   #1412
BHPian

A small update on my 2015 GenX (Manual).

Odo is at 27,500km and I had to change the front tyres. The rear tyres look like they'll last around 10k more. As with my previous Nano, the front tyres wear much earlier than the rear but this time, it's been way better than my 2010 Nano in which the change happened at around 19k kms.

I could have driven it for few thousand kilometers more but I might have to drive this car to Chennai so I anyways wanted to change. Options were Apollo Amazer 3G (Rs. 1,950/- a piece) and MRF ZEC (Rs. 1,650/- a piece). I didn't hunt down for other options as these two showrooms are quite close to my home and I've had good experiences with them. I chose the MRF ones and they were readily available at Rohini Tyres, Panavila where the experience has always been very satisfactory.

Post alignment, the car was pulling slightly to the right so I took it back and got it rectified. They were quick and nice to deal with as well.

Other than that, the Nano is doing great. It's an absolute joy to ride in the city as the turning radius and quick steering makes my life a breeze in the many narrow Trivandrum roads. Once or twice, the car took a few seconds to crank and I'm sure it's not the battery as it was replaced not long ago. Then, there are a couple of rattles - the right door, around the cabin light area and somewhere from the dashboard as well. I don't think I can do much about it anyways. Also, a few weeks ago, during a very heavy downpour, when I started the car after parking it for a few hours, the Power Steering didn't work and it showed an error. But turning the car off and on after a pause solved the issue. I hope it doesn't come up again.

Cheers!!
The old Tyre.
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_1378.jpg

The new one.
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_1379.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_1380.jpg

Alignment readings (though I don't understand much)
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_1383.jpg
freakmuzik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 15:46   #1413
BHPian

Brothers in arms....
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-screenshot_20200920154534873_com.miui.gallery.jpg  

Nanolover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 16:18   #1414
BHPian

Hi All,
Sharing an update that might help future tyre changes.
1. Nano Genx and Kwid have same PCD, one of my nano friend has swapped it. Faces no issues on bad roads/turns etc
2. All Genx Models of nano can easily accommodate 145/70R12 which is a bit better than the puny stock one given by Tata.
3. If you have no alignment issues, genx can also fit same size tyre on all 4 wheels.
4. The issues of weak brakes at high speeds remains even after tyre upgrade, but holds a straight line better and wheel lock happens later than on stock tyre.
5. Old Nano -Std, CX & LX have a brake hose retainer clamp that is welded to inner side of apron, that will rub the tyre side wall on tight turns, hence for older model Nano, stock is best.

This is my 3rd Nano and having tried all DIYs I can assure you that genx is way better and sorted than previous versions.

Attaching a pic of my friend Viprajeesh's Nano with Kwid rims with 155/65 R13 tyre. First person I know to have tried this upsize and works brilliantly.Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img20200920wa0004.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img20200919wa0019.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20200920_161453.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img20200920wa0005.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img20200920wa0014.jpg

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img20200920wa0009.jpg

Last edited by SS80 : 20th September 2020 at 16:30.
SS80 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 17:29   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any information if the plans for the Nano electric have been shelved?

If I remember correctly, there was a car being tested by Jayem auto?
Old 2nd March 2021, 18:15   #1416
BHPian

On Saturday I left the Nano XTA key in the ACC mode, after parking for the day, and forgot.

Monday I got ready for school duty, and there was no juice left in the battery, my FNG removed the battery, and gave it for charging, today collected the same and installed, bingo it cranked in one shot.

Still on the OEM battery, since March 2016.

Charging 100
Labour 200
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 19:39   #1417
BHPian

Changed the evaporator after 6 years. Ac had lost its cooling. Job done at blowcold , Trivandrum. Not a job to watch for the faint hearted. Entire dashboard has to come out and they kept the car for 4 days ( due to the rolling lockdown in Kerala). Now the car is back and ac is in full chiller mode. All inclusive 8000 bucks which I feel is a very reasonable price considering labour and evaporator cost.
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 08:50   #1418
BHPian

Added one more accessory. for 700 bucks decent value. Can play music/ charge and answer calls over FM band. Clarity is acceptable and looks cute and small.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-nano.jpg  

Old 20th September 2021, 10:00   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Added one more accessory. for 700 bucks decent value. Can play music/ charge and answer calls over FM band. Clarity is acceptable and looks cute and small.
If you bought it online can you post the link? All the chargers i have used in my Nano XTA keep popping out after some time, so was looking for one.
Old 20th September 2021, 16:11   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
If you bought it online can you post the link? All the chargers i have used in my Nano XTA keep popping out after some time, so was looking for one.

https://www.amazon.in/Portronics-AUT...=1&ext_vrnc=hi
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:15   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Brothers in arms....
You and I have similar tastes
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-my-tatas.jpg  

ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 20:46   #1422
BHPian

Hi Everyone, I have a 2015 Nano XTA which has run 26,000kms. Was running great and had recently tanked up, and due to some reason didn't use the car for a couple of days.

When I tired starting the car later, it would start, but shudder massively, and check engine light would glow. And car would die if you stopped throttle input. Even with throttle input the engine would shudder and make unusual noises. The car was not drivaeable.

This is a short video of the issue.

Got the car towed to company workshop (Wasan Motors, Chembur). They have had the car for close to a week now, and I just got a call with the diagnosis and cost estimate.

Apparently all scans of ECU are fine. They say that they have found oil in the engine intake, where there is supposed to be no oil. This is due to a gasket/oil seal which is work out and causing a leak. Also the oil has landed on some sensor on the engine and that needs replacement too. This will require an overhaul of the engine head. Total cost estimate is appx Rs.20,000 plus taxes. This largely consist if Rs.3,500 for the gasket, Rs.4,000 machining charges for the head, Rs.3,000 labour and cost for the sensor, engine valve et al. They are yet to send me the full break up.

However 20k+ taxes for a car that Cars24 evaluated to be worth below 90k sounds excessive to me. I love the car and would love to keep using it. However this seems exhorbitantly high.

Have requested them to check with Tata for some goodwill discount etc as it is highly unusual for an engine to develop oil leak at just 26k kms. Typically modern engines can run 100's of 1000's kms effortlessly. Lets see what the come back with.

Assuming no discounts are offered what are my options here? I may not be able to sell in current condition. Would welcome some suggestions as to what my outs here are.

Edit: Update
Just recieved full quote from Company
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-wasan-estmate.jpg  

Last edited by skyline_r34 : 30th September 2021 at 21:02. Reason: adding new information
skyline_r34 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 21:23   #1423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline_r34 View Post
When I tired starting the car later, it would start, but shudder massively, and check engine light would glow. And car would die if you stopped throttle input. Even with throttle input the engine would shudder and make unusual noises. The car was not drivaeable.
Any chance of filling up with wrong fuel? In this case diesel. Asking because the issue has suddenly come up .

Last edited by Aditya : 1st October 2021 at 05:07. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Nanolover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 22:11   #1424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline_r34 View Post
When I tired starting the car later, it would start, but shudder massively, and check engine light would glow. Rs.3,500 for the gasket, Rs.4,000 machining charges for the head, Rs.3,000 labour and cost for the sensor, engine valve
In the video you've posted, 00:29 and later shows one cylinder misfire, accompanied by a high coolant temperature alarm, and a blinking CEL. I've experienced this twice when I've used a Nano when down south. All I did was to stop the car, disconnect the battery negative, connect it back (I left it disconnected overnight FYI). Once reconnected, the engine would start normal, CEL would remain on, and after the ECU learns that the firing is all well, the CEL would go off after a few minutes.

In my view, if oil has indeed been found in the intake, it could be because excess oil was filled during the last oil change. A quick verification of the oil level on the dipstick would do. Tanking up is something I've done so many times on the Nano I use, and have never faced an issue just because of a tank up. Yes, if you've filled up diesel (quite unlikely), then the simple solution is to remove the fuel, clean the tank and fill up fresh petrol.

My recommendations are as follows:

1. Just have the oil level checked in your presence, and if high, have the oil drained and the recommended level refilled (2.2 litres IIRC)
2. Clean the MAF and MAP sensors with clean pure cleaning agent and put them back
3. Clean the intake duct, the throttle body and the spark plugs
4. If the pistons' top has oil, a few cranks with the plugs out and fuel pump relay removed should throw the excess oil out
5. Install everything back and it should work

From what I've heard of late, this dealer's approach is nothing to write home about, and the estimate provided is rather unrealistic. Three and a half thousand bucks for a head gasket - kidding or real?

Last edited by vigsom : 30th September 2021 at 22:31.
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 11:51   #1425
BHPian

My 'Nimble mountain goat' completed 5 years with 23k on the odo.

Total expenses incurred
2 rear tires.
1 battery.

Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img20210919wa00002.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks