Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 18:31   #1426
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Any chance of filling up with wrong fuel? In this case diesel. Asking because the issue has suddenly come up .
Naah. The car ran fine for quite a bit, after tanking up . Also the workshop guys checked the fuel tank. it was all petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
In the video you've posted, 00:29 and later shows one cylinder misfire, accompanied by a high coolant temperature alarm, and a blinking CEL. I've experienced this twice when I've used a Nano when down south. All I did was to stop the car, disconnect the battery negative, connect it back (I left it disconnected overnight FYI). Once reconnected, the engine would start normal, CEL would remain on, and after the ECU learns that the firing is all well, the CEL would go off after a few minutes.
Thanks. It seems the issue with my car was quite random as well.

The service advisor was following up on whether he should order the parts and start the job. I had asked him to hold off, and spoke to a gentlemen from Tata customer service who oversees all dealers in Mumbai. Explained my predicament, and requested for some goodwill warranty, as it was highly unusual for an engine to require significant overhaul work this early in his life. He promised some discount without quantifying it.

Visited the workshop a week later to check-in. They had got a call from the senior Tata person and were working on providing him the full costing and detailed reasoning why such a job was necessitated in.

At the visit also found out that the car is working fine. Apparently they cleant all the oil residue they found in the intake and on the sensor, and started the car and it was running fine. The entire quote was under the assumption that the oil had leaked from the head, and was to prevent a similar outcome in the future. They had not actually opened the engine to confirm if any of the parts, such as the oil seal, gaskets, etc had actually worn out and needed replacement.

Asked them to seal the car and return it ASAP. Drove the car home the next day.

Total damage - Rs.3700. 1500 for towing and 2200 for workshop inspection charges.

Had been reading about the great deals people were getting in the used car market, including cars24 etc. Drove into a Cars24 store near my office they next day. They offered a great price. Almost twice of what they had indicated to me in 2019.

The car had too many small niggles which I could not reproduce on demand. Hence was unable to resolve and had learnt to live with all this while. Also had significant work carried out under warranty. Now out of warranty, the latest incident had scared me, even though it turned out to be not such a big deal.
Drove the car extensively in the two days out of service center. Car ran fine for over 150kms in this period. However, I was never at peace, always anticipating being stranded. Figured I didn't need the stress. Decided to let go of the car. Closed the deal the next day.
Old 7th October 2021, 02:01   #1427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline_r34 View Post
. Decided to let go of the car. Closed the deal the next day.
May I ask how much you sold it for @ how many kms run ?
I may be in the market for a Nano soon as there is a parking issue at my new workplace and fitting in my Dzire is an issue and travelling on my scooter to and fro is doable but taking a physical toll. A small automatic makes sense to me and the alternative is an Alto AMT which I'm not to keen on.
Plus there is a slight itch to get the Nano as a collector's piece and do an electric conversion or engine swap down the road
Old 8th October 2021, 10:47   #1428
BHPian

They quoted 1.4 lakhs. Less some processing fees etc, got 1.35 credited to my account. Car had run 26,000 kms.

The trouble with this car is spares availability outside of company is limited. And the service from company is abysmal.

Last year, in the middle of lockdown, the car on random occasions would not start. Issue was not reproduceable on demand. Gave my car to the Worli workshop for an early service and asked them to figure why the car often refused to start. It was occuring too frequently that month and I had been stuck in heavy rains on one occasion as well.

They diagnosed the issue to be a faulty throttle body hose and spark plugs and a few more items. I have their prepaid service AMC packs. Over an above the free service they billed me 4,500 to fix the issue.

When I went to collect the car, I was told its getting cleant and will be ready shortly. After a 15 minute wait, I went into workshop, to find a swarm of mechanics trying to figure why my car wouldn't start.

The issue was not resolved at all. Spent an hour waiting next to car while a couple of mechanics tried to figure the issue. Nailed it down to the fuel pump. Told me a new one would be 12k.

I called a few shops at Opera House, none of them had it. The Tata spare part distributor at Sewri quoted 8k plus taxes. And labour would be more. So 12k at company sounded alright, but I was reluctant to incur the expense.

The SA told me they would have to order the parts and it could take a week.
The mechanic offered me an a separate deal. He told me there was a pump from a salvage car, which he would fit here depending on the price the owner of the salvage car would ask. We agreed on Rs.2,000. Got my car started and left.

Later found out at a private mechanic while sorting out another issue, that the fuel pump was not really changed. Every electric motor has a carbon brush. Most probably that had worn out, and that's all that was changed. Its a Rs.100-200 consumable. There was a particular high pitched sound that my car emanated, which used to drive me nuts. Was not found in other Nano's. It was at that mechanics place I figure that's the source of the sound and was a confirmation for me that the pump was in fact not really replaced.
skyline_r34 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 13:59   #1429
BHPian

After 6 years and 42,000 trouble free kms ( well, apart from replacing the evaporator recently, a common Nano fault), we have sold it . Got a favorable price from Cars 24 and they finished all formalities and picked her up yesterday. Sad to see her go, but it was sort of inevitable. The traffic and general road manners have taken a turn for the worse in these 6 years and it will be difficult to continue with this airbag/ ABS less / no boot / drum braked wonder.

This brings to a close my 11 years with Nano ( the original yellow LX one from 2011 - 2015 and the Persian rose from 2015-2021).

Another sad part is, with this we have parted with all the Tata cars in my garage and its now all Maruti. I will be going for the S presso ( as has my dad and brother), as it suits our only city bound running. Maruti might be boring and unimaginative and woefully unsafe, but the benefits of peppy engine, much better AMT, mileage and the biggest of all---RESALE VALUE ( my brother got an unbelievable 3.45 L for his 3 year old alto auto, which he brought for 4 L) is difficult to ignore, especially in these trying times where saving cash is the need of the hour for me
Nanolover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 09:55   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Got a favorable price from Cars 24 and they finished all formalities and picked her up yesterday.
Hey, would you mind sharing the price from Cars24? Curious to know the difference between the offers in Bangalore and Mumbai.
Old 17th October 2021, 17:54   #1431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline_r34 View Post
Hey, would you mind sharing the price from Cars24? Curious to know the difference between the offers in Bangalore and Mumbai.
Got 1.43 in hand. My insurance was up for renewal in a month and also the 6th year service. A car dealer known to me has picked up my car on auction from cars24 for 1.66 lakhs ( so cars24 made 23k from the deal) and he has advertised the nano for 2.1 lakhs on OLX.

There is demand for small automatics now in Kerala and it doesn't get any cheaper than this.
Nanolover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 15:33   #1432
Senior - BHPian

can anyone tell me what is the engine oil grade to be used on Tata Nano Genx XTA? The car is now out of warranty and I am planning to service it this time at a FNG.
The manual mentions two grades :Recommended grade of engine oil
confirming to 15W40 API - SJ OR 5W30 ACEA - A5/B5

with the following brand recommendations: CASTROL-Castrol GTX Compact 15W40, CASTROL-Magnatec Professional T5W30 ACEA A5/B5, EXXON Mobil - Mobil Super 1000X2 15W40, HPCL 15W40 HP Cruise TGO

The 15W40 does not look to be easily available other than in mineral grade. I am looking for at least semi synthetic grade.
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:40   #1433
BHPian

Can fellow bhpians share what cellphone holder they use in the vehicle.
All the dashboard and front windshield panels are so much curved that none of my holders stay put
Old 13th December 2021, 09:06   #1434
BHPian

First time in the history of my 2016 Nano AMT (5+ years, 24K km) the engine check light came on, took the car to my FNG, whose diagnosis was let's do a service and then see, had changed the air filter, an annual ritual last week.

Disconnected the battery, pulled out the spark plugs which were clean and dry, sandpapered adjusted the gap and put back, he then opened the gear oil nut, topped up, opened the air filter box, he noticed a small tear in the rubber hose going to the throttle body, ordered a new one from boddmo, local market didn't have one. As a temporary juggard, he applied fevi quick and wrapped up with insulation tape, the check light still on, he said drive for about 10/15 km, and then see, low and behold, the check light went off.

Have done about 60km no problem for now.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 10:35   #1435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Can fellow bhpians share what cellphone holder they use in the vehicle.
All the dashboard and front windshield panels are so much curved that none of my holders stay put
After using multiple cheap mobile holders for the last 5-6 years, I have been using this (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07H995Y6Z/...ing=UTF8&psc=1) for some time now. It has really good suction and grip and also comes with a dashboard pad, on which you can stick and use this. Do try it out.

But do note, I never used it while I owned my Nano. This I have started using in my Triber. In my Nano, the cheap ones also worked just about fine, and best were the AC Vent mounted mobile holders.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 17:43   #1436
BHPian

Hello Nano XTA owners. I am planning to buy a used XTA, 2016 make. It has done 25,000kms to date. I have driven it and didn't find any fault whatsoever. I wanted to inquire how is the reliability of the AMT gearbox? I have come across a few AMT gearbox failures. Are these with the initial batch of AMTs that came in 2015-2016? Kindly guide me if I should go ahead and buy the same as a 2nd car. Also, what all should I consider/check before buying a used Nano? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by keeprevving : 2nd March 2022 at 17:44.
Old 2nd March 2022, 17:51   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Hello Nano XTA owners. I am planning to buy a used XTA, 2016 make. It has done 25,000kms to date. I have driven it and didn't find any fault whatsoever. I wanted to inquire how is the reliability of the AMT gearbox? I have come across a few AMT gearbox failures. Are these with the initial batch of AMTs that came in 2015-2016? Kindly guide me if I should go ahead and buy the same as a 2nd car. Also, what all should I consider/check before buying a used Nano? Thanks in advance.
Can you mention the details on AMT failures associated with Nano? Have not heard of it much. I'm also using Nano AMT for the last 5 years and it never turned down on me
Bibin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 21:32   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Do the usual checks, the service records.
Never heard any AMT failure on the nano. Do enlighten us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Can you mention the details on AMT failures associated with Nano? Have not heard of it much. I'm also using Nano AMT for the last 5 years and it never turned down on me
I've a 2016 Nano AMT, done 26k, daily used. No issues whatsoever.
Changed the air filter annually, and top-up coolant, if required.

Last edited by Vinod_nair : 2nd March 2022 at 21:36.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 14:53   #1439
Senior - BHPian

My 26k run Nano AMT had its first tyre change today - the front tyres were half-eaten, thanks to improper alignment. Got 2x 155/65 R12 B290 for the back, moved the rear two MRFs(which are half life, I guess) to front.

With alignment and balancing done in a proper tyre store - first time in its 6 years, the car does feel GOOD!

This is my HM's car - and she ain't willing to switch to anything 'modern' - there's no replacement for the form-factor, space and convenience, according to her.

And I gotta concur!
Old 5th March 2022, 15:02   #1440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
My 26k run Nano AMT had its first tyre change today - the front tyres were half-eaten, thanks to improper alignment. Got 2x 155/65 R12 B290 for the back, moved the rear two MRFs(which are half life, I guess) to front...
The front tyres are smaller by design so as to prevent over-steer.

Please be careful while turning, especially if at a reasonably high pace (say 50kmph).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
...!This is my HM's car - and she ain't willing to switch to anything 'modern' - there's no replacement for the form-factor, space and convenience, according to her.

And I gotta concur!
Nothing else even comes close!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 5th March 2022 at 15:03.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed