Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2015, 00:55   #136

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Was mostly talking about the niggles, that could surface once the car gets old.
Don't own one, but was mostly recollecting all things that went wrong on our 5 (55K Km) year old Figo
You are worrying about the electrical system going bad on a car you are yet to own? That's why Mahindra backs its product with a 3 year/100,000 km warranty+ extended warranty plans for peace of mind. Now if this isn't enough then what is?
Old 19th June 2015, 11:19   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

I had gone to check out the "All-new" XUV 500 in person yesterday, and here are my thoughts (I am coming from driving my 2014 City extensively, in comparison):
  1. The front looks overdone with the Scorpio-inspired grille. Wish Mahindra had stuck with the original one.
  2. The foglamp sections look ultra-loud, specially with that huge swept-back moustache chrome. The casings on the W6/W4 looked slightly better to the eyes. I would cover the casings in body-color paint and put in a pair of strong DRLs to double up as foglamps.
  3. The XUV has lost quite a bit of it's macho appeal due to the absence of the central grooves on the bonnet. The raised bulges on either sides of the bonnet give the SUV a more elevated stance, and maybe facilitate the dispersal of air slightly better. Otherwise, I fail to see the utility of this design change.
  4. Side profile and rear profile is same as earlier, except for very, very minor changes. The driver-side "paw" gets a nail! On a more serious note, the keyless entry should have been standard from the first-gen itself.
  5. The black applique above the numberplate (W4) looks much better than the chrome strip (W8/W10).
  6. The W4 had JKs on them, W6 had Apollos, and W8/W10 had Bridgestones. Conscious effort by Mahindra to keep differences between the variants?
  7. Seats are absolutely fantastic, and give that commanding stance. The fabric looked dull (W4) and cheap (W6). I doubt it will last the distance. Customers will be looking for seat cover options quickly.
  8. The steering is great to hold, with excellent grip. Still pretty heavy at a standstill/slower speeds, though.
  9. The speedometer looks better than before, with the integrated cowl. Has the number of lights gone down? It seemed to me that the pre-facelifted XUV had more light indicators than this one.
  10. The gear-shifting felt quite notchy while putting into the 2nd gear. I also had difficulty slotting the car into 1st and into reverse (did this on a W10).
  11. The W4 gets a single-line central display and (thankfully) an USB slot below, alongside the 12V socket, alongwith a CD slot. At least the Head Unit won't be completely useless now. The W6 has the monochrome display, same as before.
  12. The dashboard plastic and the plastic on all doors felt cheap and hard to the touch. Bad cost-cutting by Mahindra. The wavy finish inside the plastics doesn't help, either. The Eon, at a fourth of the XUV's price, has better plastics all around. This will be a grouse for future owners - a 1.5 million-rupee car simply demands better plastic quality!
  13. The double glove box is a smart option. The lower one didn't look that deep, while the one at the top seemed wider.
  14. The Infotainment system on the W8 and W10 is top-notch, but it looked like it still has some issues. I pushed the "Start/Stop" button below, and the whole display went blank! Turned the key off and turned it back on, and it came back. The touch response also took 2-3 swipes to register sometimes. Some gremlins are still present I guess.
  15. Middle row looks good enough for 4 people, let alone 3! Excellent back support.
  16. The last row is again best suited for kids. Grown-up folks will want to fold the middle row forward and sit with their legs stretched, to have any sort of comfort.
  17. The boot space, with the 3rd row up, is simply non-existent! My mother who had accompanied me, asked a very simple question, to which I had no answer - "This is being marketed as a seven-seater, right? What if seven people wanted to go on a trip somewhere together? Where will they put all their luggage?" Yes, a very pertinent question. If it is a seven-seater, it should have enough space for 7 adults AND their luggage! It could have helped if the length of the car would have been increased a bit more and a pseudo-boot (even a 200L one) with 7-seats up, would have been offered.
  18. The icy-blue lounge lighting at night is very soothing and relaxing. It looks much better than the red one on the earlier-gen, which made the interiors feel like a discotheque! Smart change by Mahindra. The overall ambience inside the cabin is much better now.
  19. The sunroof looked functional, and almost similar in size to the one offered in the i20. If the top W10 variant costing 20 lacs (in some cities) is getting this, it would have been better to have given a panoramic one.
  20. Reading lamps in the second row should have been standard on the W6 as well. The on-road difference between W4 and W6 is ~1.43 lakhs, and Mahindra would have been justified to have thrown in a few more goodies in the W6 for the price.
  21. The engine-noise at idle is evident, as is the notchy gear shift. The clutch is smooth but has a fairly long range. It will get tiring in everyday stop-go traffic. Better get ready to give your left leg plenty of exercise time in the mornings before you ease the XUV out from your garage.
  22. The steering-wheel weighs up well after speeds of about 25-30 kmph. Before that it feels noticeably heavy.
  23. Speeds of 100+ are easily achieved. The gear ratios from the 3rd gear onwards are well spread out, and the timing is just about perfect. The pick-up and in-gear acceleration is excellent.
  24. While negotiating through traffic, I felt queasy about my vision up front. Reason? The outward bonnet-bulges were interfering with my judgement quite a number of times, specially the one on the passenger side.
  25. Ride quality inside the city is very smooth, just like a sedan. There is quite a bit of stiffness felt on high speeds out on the highway, but not enough to make one uncomfortable. It is certainly better than the earlier-gen XUV, which was hard and had plenty of body roll.
  26. The brakes are really sharp. Straight-line stopping is top notch. I hope this upgrade is available for earlier-gen owners as well.
  27. Maneuvering inside the bylanes of the city was really cumbersome. The size of the XUV makes it a poor option for the inside lanes/roads. If you get stuck, good luck reversing AND turning at the same time.
Overall, I am impressed by the new XUV 500, except for the poor-quality plastics and those (glaringly loud) foglamps. It has huge on-road presence, looks premium from the outside, and is a capable highway performer. Inside the city, stick to the main roads and you will be happy.

The new W4 is priced (OTR) at 12.94 lacs, the W6 at 14.37 lacs, the W8 at 15.9 lacs and the W10 at 17.1 lacs. If you are not a fan of overdone chrome and too many electronics inside, the W6 makes the best sense with most of the gizmos at your disposal, and is the best VFM option in the range. The W4 is still underwhelming at it's price point in my opinion.

Booked a Volcano Black W6 with a token amount of 51,000/-. Delivery time quoted is 2 months!

According to the dealership, they have more bookings for the W8 Sunset Orange than any other variant/color combo. I am fine by the time quoted, because by then the Creta would be out. Whichever car impresses me more, will get the rest of my money.

On a side note, here's the official video by Mahindra & Mahindra explaining all the features of the new XUV 500:

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th June 2015 at 11:25.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 11:27   #138

Thanks a lot for the great review on NewGEN XUV. It made me go and buy a W6 Model. Got delivery last week!! Went on a long drive to Mysore with family (6 members). Children had a blast in XUV. It was great fun to drive. My earlier car was Dzire VDI. which was good but XUV driving fun was way ahead. Only discomfort is the long gear throw. otherwise there is nothing to complain about!!
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20150605_183618.jpg  

Diesel Head is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 11:54   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Booked a Volcano Black W6 with a token amount of 51,000/-. Delivery time quoted is 2 months!
Two months! What city/ dealer it is? Does that mean Mahindra is selling XUVs just like they did in 2011 or just a launch month rush? Heard that this month there was weeklong maintenance stuff at XUV factory and hence some delays too.

Quote:
According to the dealership, they have more bookings for the W8 Sunset Orange than any other variant/color combo.
Yeah, heard that before too. Seems like RED is fast moving too.
Old 19th June 2015, 12:13   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Head View Post
Thanks a lot for the great review on NewGEN XUV. It made me go and buy a W6 Model. Got delivery last week!! Went on a long drive to Mysore with family (6 members). Children had a blast in XUV. It was great fun to drive. My earlier car was Dzire VDI. which was good but XUV driving fun was way ahead. Only discomfort is the long gear throw. otherwise there is nothing to complain about!!
Congratulations Diesel Head Happy munching miles with this beast.

Now we would like to see a detailed review with more of pictures Also would like to understand is there any changes done to the infotainment of W6, I understand it's the same as previous version but still I am thinking if Mahindra has added or removed something from the same.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 13:28   #141
BHPian

Quote:
I had gone to check out the "All-new" XUV 500 in person yesterday, and here are my thoughts (I am coming from driving my 2014 City extensively, in comparison):[list=1]

Congrats on your purchase. Also thanks for your inputs on your test drive. You were bang on about the interiors, especially the dash plastics. Hope to see more pics from you once you get your Volcano Black XUV. I imagine it would look great. As a suggestion, please call your XUV 'The Nightwolf'.

Quote:
The W6 variants seem the best looking of the New XUV. And your XUV is no exception. One of my favorite colors. Happy motoring. Please add more pics.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th June 2015 at 13:41. Reason: See note in post.
karthick_b is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 15:00   #142
BHPian

I went for my second test drive last friday as the W10 test vehicle was available with the dealer. the first drive was a mere 5 mins so wasnt upto scratch. Here is what happened-

Try 1: ignition, gear- slotted into gear. the vehicle started going backwards. Sales rep. said the reverse gear has been engaged instead of first gear. Panick. Braked. Stalled.
Try 2: ignition, gear- slotted into third gear. Stalled.
Try 3 (this time the Sales rep. was at the helm): he slotted into third gear as well. Stalled.
Try 4: Finally slotted into first gear. and off we went.

Bad start.

To get a point of reference used the same route that i usually use. Other vehicles driven on this route: GTX, Punto, Cedia, Outlander, Pajero Sport, Yeti, E90 3, Duster. (I know it may not be fair comparing with some of these)

The initial bit of the road is undulating.

Observation on the stretch: Lot of vertical movement. Not confidence inspiring. What was apparent though was the silent cabin. Engine seems refined. Pulls up effortlessly.

Moving to the expressway: On smooth tarmac the ride is very pliant. The occasional pot hole is dismissed without much fuss.

Later, Took the usual U turn. Strangely had to then quickly work to get steering back from rotation else would have gone into the divider. Now this hasnt happened with the other cars driven, the steering rotates back to straight faster. One explanation is that i couldnt see where the divider was and therefore mistimed the rotation. The bulges on the bonnet dont make for good visibility at least for me.

Didnt see much of the features. By habit always drive first and then stop to have a look at the features. Did notice the sun roof. but felt it should have been bigger, say, panoramic.

All in all didnt take to the vehicle like a fish to water unlike my experience w/ Yeti, Duster etc. I was immediately at ease with those. With this one, i was struggling.

I do like the road presense of the XUV. And the long feature list.
maven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 16:49   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
1. 18-20K per alloy is just too high. I doubt the correctness of the information.
2. Changing alloys to same size should not cause any problem with warranty. The dealer is bluffing.
3. Not very sure about this, but I remember reading that JKs are limited to W4.
In fact, the SA went on to say the alloys on the pre-facelift version costs 15K and after discount is given at around 13K.
I have decided to stay with the stock rims for some time and then will plan for the flower pattern alloys from M&M to be on the safer side.

Quote:
The W4 had JKs on them, W6 had Apollos, and W8/W10 had Bridgestones. Conscious effort by Mahindra to keep differences between the variants?
W6 gets both Apollo and BS. I was very particular about the tyres. Initially the sales rep said he has a W6 with Apollo and I said I will wait for the next batch to arrive with BS. He came back saying he has one W6 Silver with BS Duelers of my choice.

Going for a PDI tomorrow armed with PDI Checklist , VIN Decoder and a 10 page checklist shared by fellow bhpian Sunay(fusionbang).

An opportunity to meet a fellow BHP'ian for the first time. Thanks Sunay(fusionbang) for accompanying.
Prash22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 16:50   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Diesel Head: it is a definitely a good choice that you have made. Please post an ownership experience with photos .

Also, what is base for choosing this colour ?
Old 19th June 2015, 22:58   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Two months! What city/ dealer it is? Does that mean Mahindra is selling XUVs just like they did in 2011 or just a launch month rush? Heard that this month there was weeklong maintenance stuff at XUV factory and hence some delays too.
Raipur. (Details)

The dealership said they had received the last lot of XUVs for the month yesterday itself, and the next lot due in July first week was for first week bookings in June. Most of the bookings are for the W8, followed by the W6. Lower variants see demand in White/Silver, and very few (like me) prefer other colors. Hence the 2 months time for Volcano Black.

W6 has a lot of bookings as well, but none for Black. Mine was the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Yeah, heard that before too. Seems like RED is fast moving too.
Red isn't that much preferred over here. More people are head-over-heels for the new Sunset Orange shade. Between the new XUV and the Honda Jazz (coming with an exclusive Sunset Orange shade as well), I expect to see a lot of orange on the roads in the coming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthick_b View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Also thanks for your inputs on your test drive. You were bang on about the interiors, especially the dash plastics. Hope to see more pics from you once you get your Volcano Black XUV. I imagine it would look great. As a suggestion, please call your XUV 'The Nightwolf'.
Thanks.

Haven't gone till the purchase stage yet, as I have booked the Hyundai Creta first (on 21st May). Waiting to check out the Creta as well before taking a final decision, and the 2-month waiting is actually a blessing in disguise. I am in no hurry right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash22 View Post
W6 gets both Apollo and BS. I was very particular about the tyres. Initially the sales rep said he has a W6 with Apollo and I said I will wait for the next batch to arrive with BS. He came back saying he has one W6 Silver with BS Duelers of my choice.
If that is the case, then it's a great option to have. If I finalise the Cheetah after the Creta-launch, I'll insist for Bridgestones as well, because that's my preference too. Let's see what comes about.

All the best for your PDI (and subsequent delivery) tomorrow, my friend. Hope it all goes well and you come back with plenty of pictures.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th June 2015 at 23:27.
Old 20th June 2015, 14:07   #146
BHPian

Quote:
If that is the case, then it's a great option to have. If I finalise the Cheetah after the Creta-launch, I'll insist for Bridgestones as well, because that's my preference too. Let's see what comes about.

All the best for your PDI (and subsequent delivery) tomorrow, my friend. Hope it all goes well and you come back with plenty of pictures.
Returned back disappointed

The left hand side door both front and back had glaringly wide gaps and did not look properly aligned. I have attached a pic of the silver I was looking at and a white one which was properly aligned. Both taken from the same angle.

Stopped the PDI within 5 minutes. They don't have a W6 silver in stock, I'll have to wait for first week of July for the next batch to arrive. The one they had was April manufactured.

Spent time with Sunay(fusionbang) in understanding the controls.

Here are some observations
1. There was one Red W4 in the stock yard that was marked on the windshield as LH pulling and had JK tires on them

2. The material used in the central waterfall console of the pre facelift looks better than the facelift.

3. The suspension is definitely better in the facelift compared to the pre facelift. fusionbang has the pre facelift XUV from April with 1100kms on ODO and I did feel it to be a little on the harder side and bumpy compared to my test drive of the facelift.

4. Has anyone paired their iPhone to the blue tooth? It took a while to detect the iPhone and I did not bother to try after that.

I know fusionbang clicked some snaps and has some observations as well. Thanks for joining, will trouble again for the next PDI
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_4620.jpg  

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_4621.jpg  

Prash22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 21:46   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash22 View Post
I know fusionbang clicked some snaps and has some observations as well. Thanks for joining, will trouble again for the next PDI
No problem buddy, anytime for a bhpian It was nice to be part of the PDI process for the facelift model which helped me to know few minor changes done to the W6 model. Frankly speaking I was relaxed and happy inside about my decision to go for the pre-facelift version, as I could see the interiors getting dirty very soon and I am sure it will be a nightmare during monsoons (sorry could not click a pic of the same I forgot) to maintain. Also observed that the website mentions reading lamps is just 1st row, but W6 has it in the 2nd row as well

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-readinglamps.jpg

Couple of pics on the W6,

1. The infotainment looks good with the new cowl and the panel to cover the extra inch which will be used by the 7" screen on W8 & W10

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-wp_20150620_11_18_35_pro.jpg

2. USB & Aux-in port is now deep enough and can easily accommodate a bigger pen drive 7 bigger devices with the shutter closed, nice move by Mahindra

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-143479.jpg

Last edited by fusionbang : 20th June 2015 at 21:57.
fusionbang is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 22:40   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Diesel Head: it is a definitely a good choice that you have made. Please post an ownership experience with photos .

Also, what is base for choosing this colour ?
Thanks Deemash...for selecting colour did some study...old XUV looks better in Black compared to Newgen XUV and also it needs lot of maintenance. Liked the Red colour but most of red colour cars are with Zoom cars. White colour on New XUV looked too mild. so the selection was between Silver and Grey. So, when we saw both Silver and grey my family voted for grey. it looked real good when we went to Anant cars, Bangalore godown and compared grey and silver next to each other.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20150620_072930.jpg  

Diesel Head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 22:56   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Deemash...for selecting colour did some study...old XUV looks better in Black compared to Newgen XUV and also it needs lot of maintenance. Liked the Red colour but most of red colour cars are with Zoom cars. White colour on New XUV looked too mild. so the selection was between Silver and Grey. So, when we saw both Silver and grey my family voted for grey. it looked real good when we went to Anant cars, Bangalore godown and compared grey and silver next to each other.
Grey colour looks cool! Parking on the footpath doesn't! I know it's off topic but parking like this will force pedestrians to walk around the car and on the road. Kindly avoid it if possible.

Last edited by badri : 20th June 2015 at 23:04.
badri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 10:23   #150
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Met a owner of the new-age XUV yesterday at the service center.
Apparently few new owners have reported a issue about the infotainment system touchscreen going blank and Mahindras are replacing them with new ones.

My RM also mentioned that even the new system is Nippon.

It would be sad if the infotainment system related niggles start all over again in the new age XUV.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks