Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2016, 00:18   #1501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
And thats something i do like! I have my sisters phone paired for music, And i connect mine for receiving or making calls, Its comes in handy for sure, The new infotainment update looks pretty cool as well.
Similarly tanveer have synced the iPhone 5s for music and my primary device the iPhone 6plus for phone calls. It's a breeze and connects automatically provided Bluetooth is kept on on the phone and the cheetah.

Doesn't make sense IMHO hdc senses the gear and speed and limits the speed in spite of the accelerater being depressed to maintain stability. It shouldn't work in neutral because that's the wrong way of getting the vehicle downhill. What say

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 11th June 2016 at 00:21.
Old 11th June 2016, 02:00   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Doesn't make sense IMHO hdc senses the gear and speed and limits the speed in spite of the accelerater being depressed to maintain stability. It shouldn't work in neutral because that's the wrong way of getting the vehicle downhill. What say
Speed is locked according to the gear we select, Thats fine, But 45 kph speed is a little on the higher side, engaging a gear and getting the vehicle down hill is the proper way to do it, I had used HDC on 4-5 times till now, It is surely useful while off-roading, But over riding the brake pedal isn't very pleasant, The braking feel changes a lot.
Old 11th June 2016, 16:16   #1503
BHPian

I don't know if any of you owners has faced this problem, I have a jul2015 W8FWD and have recently completed my first service (job compulsions for this low mileage).
Whenever the beast is in 4th gear and if your speed is below 45 and you press the accelerator pedal down and the beast starts gaining speed at around exactly 1750 rpm and speed between 55-60 the gear shift rattles although for a second or two but it is noticeable. I showed it to the service guys and they opened up the panel below the lever and packed the selector and shifter mechanism with grease. The problem reduced for a while and again resurfaced. The vibrating sound was quite annoying.
I have finally found the solution to the problem and if anybody is interested will be happy to share.

Last edited by RajeVenu : 11th June 2016 at 16:17.
Old 11th June 2016, 17:45   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Speed is locked according to the gear we select, Thats fine, But 45 kph speed is a little on the higher side, engaging a gear and getting the vehicle down hill is the proper way to do it, I had used HDC on 4-5 times till now, It is surely useful while off-roading, But over riding the brake pedal isn't very pleasant, The braking feel changes a lot.
Yeah agree with you there. Do you keep it on the entire time hdc that is while off roading. Does it have to be reset everytime or something like that. What effect will it have on the brakes. What exactly do you mean by braking feel. Is it the pads getting worn out.

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 11th June 2016 at 17:51.
Old 11th June 2016, 18:06   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Yeah agree with you there. Do you keep it on the entire time hdc that is while off roading. Does it have to be reset everytime or something like that. What effect will it have on the brakes. What exactly do you mean by braking feel. Is it the pads getting worn out.

No i never keep it on all the time, Only while going down a hill i switch it on, After switching on the button if the HDC is engaged the infotainment system shows, "HDC Activated".

By braking feel i meant, The brake pedal becomes a bit hard, So if you want to override you need to put more than normal pressure on the pedal.
Old 11th June 2016, 18:20   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
I don't know if any of you owners has faced this problem, I have a jul2015 W8FWD and have recently completed my first service (job compulsions for this low mileage).
Whenever the beast is in 4th gear and if your speed is below 45 and you press the accelerator pedal down and the beast starts gaining speed at around exactly 1750 rpm and speed between 55-60 the gear shift rattles although for a second or two but it is noticeable. I showed it to the service guys and they opened up the panel below the lever and packed the selector and shifter mechanism with grease. The problem reduced for a while and again resurfaced. The vibrating sound was quite annoying.
I have finally found the solution to the problem and if anybody is interested will be happy to share.
I am also on same boat, with my W8 AT, but service guys say its normal, but I still feel something is not right. Can you share the solution?
Old 11th June 2016, 18:24   #1507
BANNED

Quote:
Whenever the beast is in 4th gear and if your speed is below 45 and you press the accelerator pedal down and the beast starts gaining speed at around exactly 1750 rpm and speed between 55-60 the gear shift rattles although for a second or two but it is noticeable
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishie View Post
I am also on same boat, with my W8 AT, but service guys say its normal, but I still feel something is not right. Can you share the solution?
Isn't 45kmph a bit low for 4th Gear?

I feel 3rd gear is better off even though the engine has enough torque but the speed:gear combination doesn't seem right to me.

What is the solution you found BTW?
Old 11th June 2016, 18:43   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have the same problem, Specially in the 4th gear, They were able to rectify it but it was not a permanent solution, The gear knob vibrates while accelerating right? if your hand is on the gear stick you can feel the vibration properly, At times when your hand is not on the gear shift you can also hear the vibration, I have decided to live with it till the 30,000 kms servicing of my W10 Awd.

Next time you visit the service centre go for a test drive along with the SA and make him see what happens, Thats what i had to do to make them know what exactly is the problem.
Old 12th June 2016, 01:38   #1509
BHPian

@Anurag I didn't find anything amiss driving in fourth at speed of 45. I generally up shift from 3rd while crossing 40. I always play by the ear while driving and shift based on the sound of engine. I have found that to be a better technique than sticking to manufacturer quoted gear to speed ratio.

Coming onto the solution to the problem actually it just struck me that the rattling is due to play between some parts. I had never seen the mechanism below the lever so it was a speculation. When I reported the problem at service they took me on a TD after their so called rectification and when asked how they solved it they replied by putting grease.
Now the problem did subside for some time so I deduced that grease had worked but must have failed due to it getting liquified at higher temp in fact grease will flow even under normal sun.
So the hunt began to find something that retained its consistency and lubrication at high temperatures. The solution was to use silicone grease since it is thicker, stays where you put it, doesn't stain or leave an oily residue, is colourless and odourless and most importantly can withstand temp upto 400 deg celsius. This same grease is used to lubricate O rings for high temp and pressure applications.
I got hold of high vacuum silicone grease of wacker company one of the best as per reviews and went back to the ASS. I asked the SA to use silicone grease instead of normal grease. He was skeptical but agreed. This time I was present while they carried out the job. Sorry didn't click any pics as I wasn't sure if it would work.
The technician first removed the plastic bit onto the left of the hand brake while sitting on the driver seat and then slowly he pried out the entire black panel from below the arm rest to just below the cubby hole. You can't remove the panel until you have unbuttoned and loosened the Velcro of the boot cover even after that there is a cable attached to it for parking brake indicator which if required can be disconnected after this both the shifting and selecting mechanisms are visible.
The following things exist for me as a layman:-
A. The gear lever sits on a kind of ball and socket joint which is mounted on an aluminium frame.
B. Towards the engine side of the joint there are two plastic arms which are attached to the sides of the lever one of these carries the selector cable and the other the shifter cable.
C. Both the cables are connected to the arm through a spring loaded telescopic mechanism which can be adjusted to control the free play. A plastic lock is present which stays in place due to spring tension.
D. I was appalled at the shifting and selecting mechanism as they seemed very fragile.

I found that whatever grease the ASS had put had shifted location and also melted leaving oily mess but for the love of god since there is no beige coloured plastic or fabric there everything and every bit of the grease was removed using cotton waste. Once I was satisfied with their cleaning I handed him the silicone grease it was about 25 grams in a jar. The grease was applied at the ball &socket joint, each and every sliding and swivelling plastic part, on the springs, the telescopic mechanism attaching the cables( the cables are not visible) after application the lever was slotted into all positions and it was confirmed that all nooks and crannies were covered. unlike conventional grease silicone is thicker and requires a thin layer and being transparent it can be ensured that it has reached the intended places. The panels were refitted and all purpose cleaner ensured that no technician handiwork spots were visible. The ASS wanted to go for a TD which I refused as was short on time. On the way back I tried the same 4th gear method and the rattling was gone. I have driven a few Kms after the fix, the rattling has completely gone and even if I keep my hand on the lever vibration is no longer felt as Tanveer mentioned. Moreover I have found the gear shifting to be more precise and less notchy also earlier there was was an audible sound during slotting which has also reduced considerably.
My verdict:-
Anyone facing the issue to go for this fix blindfolded as it has made my life easier as that nagging rattle is gone for good. It can be a DIY but not for the faint hearted as there are no screws to remove the panels, it is all snap fit and one forced tug may break a lock or two and marr the fit & finish.
The gear slotting is much better than before.
As regards the silicone grease it can be easily sourced saw a few tubes available on Amazon or can be procured from industrial or auto parts supplier.
All the best and goodbye rattling
RajeVenu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 20:31   #1510
BHPian

Hi team,

Me not a chrome guy. I really don't like much of chrome both in interior and exterior of a car, but when I saw it done in the interior of a Xuv at an accessories shop I couldn't resist and got it done for mine too.

https://goo.gl/photos/KxcaKmbp7LRtiv6G6

Last edited by rahul_kej : 12th June 2016 at 20:34.
Old 12th June 2016, 22:25   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
Hi team,

Me not a chrome guy. I really don't like much of chrome both in interior and exterior of a car, but when I saw it done in the interior of a Xuv at an accessories shop I couldn't resist and got it done for mine too.

https://goo.gl/photos/KxcaKmbp7LRtiv6G6

Doesn't look bad actually, Maybe because of the black interiors, Would surely look lot of place in the beige interior layout. Looks nice!

How much was the cost?
Old 13th June 2016, 10:06   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
but when I saw it done in the interior of a Xuv at an accessories shop I couldn't resist and got it done for mine too.
Will it not reflect and create distraction?
Old 13th June 2016, 15:45   #1513
BHPian

This is a question to XUV 500 W4 owners.

Where do you see the average fuel consumption of the vehicle, would it show the range also in W4?

The new W4 is coming with a 6" black and white screen seems like this was earlier used in W6, any clue on what information would be displayed in this apart from the general music functionalities.

Last edited by e4gleeyez : 13th June 2016 at 15:47.
Old 13th June 2016, 17:25   #1514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4gleeyez View Post
This is a question to XUV 500 W4 owners.

Where do you see the average fuel consumption of the vehicle, would it show the range also in W4?

The new W4 is coming with a 6" black and white screen seems like this was earlier used in W6, any clue on what information would be displayed in this apart from the general music functionalities.
In case you don't get a reply then do what I did. I had written a mail to mahindra customer care regarding some clarification for my W8 infotainment sys and they were quite prompt in replying. I also requested them to mail a PDF of the infotainment manual which they readily did. I now carry all the manuals on my phone and tab and have easy access to them.
Old 13th June 2016, 21:42   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't look bad actually, Maybe because of the black interiors, Would surely look lot of place in the beige interior layout. Looks nice!

How much was the cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Will it not reflect and create distraction?
I paid Rs.2000 for this. The chrome ascents are for all three rows for AC vents and power window switches.

Got it done a month back and didn't face any distraction yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks