Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2018, 14:39   #2116
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

I visited the showroom today and checked out the w11 AT w/ options. The test drive experience was very good and I have decided to book one. Just one quick question - can someone advise if I should go for AWD vs no AWD ? Will the mileage be less for the AWD options ?

Please let me know
Old 21st April 2018, 14:55   #2117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbiswal View Post
I visited the showroom today and checked out the w11 AT w/ options. The test drive experience was very good and I have decided to book one. Just one quick question - can someone advise if I should go for AWD vs no AWD ? Will the mileage be less for the AWD options ?

Please let me know
If you can afford that extra money, go for AWD. The mileage will be slightly on the lower side. Should offer better grip & can be useful in certain sections where you need power at rear wheels to get you out. Also I was told (in 2012) that Mahindra sources AWD from a reputed supplier which I forget now..a search in forum should give you complete details
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 16:48   #2118
BHPian

Here's a column by Doug DeMuro on the XUV 500.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...81474979847347
Jagatvir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 14:13   #2119

Quote:

Please let me know
It purely depends on your usage. If you intend to use it only in the city and occasional highways, then you should be better off buying the front-wheel variants and saving the extra money. But if you plan to do some mild off-roading or get adventurous, then the AWD will be something your hard earned money will be well spent on.

Please bear in mind that this AWD is automatically activated when there is a loss of traction detected in any of the front wheels and cannot be compared to the on-demand 4x4 mechanism that you get on Tata Safari or the Mahindra Thar.
Old 30th April 2018, 14:29   #2120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
If you can afford that extra money, go for AWD. The mileage will be slightly on the lower side. Should offer better grip & can be useful in certain sections where you need power at rear wheels to get you out. Also I was told (in 2012) that Mahindra sources AWD from a reputed supplier which I forget now..a search in forum should give you complete details
Thank you. I have booked the AWD model - there was too much pressure to not go for the AWD by the sales person. The reasons given were you dont really need AWD and there will be a huge delay in delivery because of the extreme low demand of AWD models. I was told that Mahindra makes all AWD models for all requests across India in the same batch - so until that many orders are ready this will be delayed etc. After reading a few other topics in this forum and comments on FWD vs AWD, I have decided to go ahead with the AWD model. After booking I was told that this will be about 2 months delay and may be possible earlier, but they can't commit.

Now eagerly waiting for the new vehicle
kbiswal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 16:00   #2121

Quote:
Thank you. I have booked the AWD model - there was too much pressure to not go for the AWD by the sales person. The reasons given were you dont really need AWD and there will be a huge delay in delivery because of the extreme low demand of AWD models. I was told that Mahindra makes all AWD models for all requests across India in the same batch - so until that many orders are ready this will be delayed etc. After reading a few other topics in this forum and comments on FWD vs AWD, I have decided to go ahead with the AWD model. After booking I was told that this will be about 2 months delay and may be possible earlier, but they can't commit.

Congrats on your booking
Exactly the same reasons were given to me by the sales person, when I had booked my W10 AWD when the New Age model was newly launched. But when I took that up with the manager of India Garage, he managed to procure it for me in a couple of weeks time. I would suggest you to also enquire with the other dealers, as each one of them have their own level of influences at the Chakan plant.
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:20   #2122

I came across this masked XUV500 vehicle in Chennai-Villupuram highway last week.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-20180425_190036.jpg  

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-20180425_190040.jpg  

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-20180425_190043.jpg  

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-20180425_190054.jpg  

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-20180425_190056.jpg  

praveenasir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 20:11   #2123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
What you’ll like:

• A well-engineered, contemporary SUV with a value-for-money price tag
• More mature styling. Front end no longer looks garish
• Acres of space on the 1st & 2nd seat rows
• Competent engine delivers fantastic urban driveability, as well as fast highway performance
• Balanced ride & handling package
• Safety kit includes 6 airbags, ESP with rollover mitigation, ABS + EBD and all-wheel disc brakes
• Expansive feature list (sunroof, touchscreen ICE, powered driver's seat, cruise control etc.)

What you won’t:

• Absolutely no luggage capacity with all the seats in place
• Cramped 3rd seat row is best suited to children only. A sliding middle row is sorely missed
• Interior quality, although better, still has a lot of scope for improvement
• Clutch is lighter now, but has a long travel range & high resting point. Gets cumbersome in traffic
• Niggles & issues, as reported by existing XUV500 owners
• Mahindra's inconsistent sales & service experiences
I guess the pluses and minuses are going to stay same way with big advantage of more powerful engine & welcome cosmetics. Few mentioning the ergonomics is not what its used to be.

Wish the Official new car reviews thread to be up and running this weekend to compensate a no race weekend.
Old 3rd May 2018, 20:46   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I have booked the AWD model
Congratulations on your booking, keep us posted on how much time it takes to get it delivered. I feel AWD is better choice, during my test rides of 2015 facelift I found AWD more planted on roads compared to FWD.
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:18   #2125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRay View Post
Congratulations on your booking, keep us posted on how much time it takes to get it delivered. I feel AWD is better choice, during my test rides of 2015 facelift I found AWD more planted on roads compared to FWD.
The dealership (Sireesh Auto in Bangalore) said that it will take about 45 days to deliver. Also booking fee for non AWD model is 10000 but for the AWD model they asked for Rs 1L booking fee. This morning I called them up and they said the estimated delivery is 7th June as of now. The sales person also told me that there is a mystic copper color W11 AT AWD model available - someone booked and had issues with loans and it is available now. I had opted for a different color so didn't opt for it. I will update when the vehicle arrives.
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:52   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
The dealership (Sireesh Auto in Bangalore) said that it will take about 45 days to deliver. Also booking fee for non AWD model is 10000 but for the AWD model they asked for Rs 1L booking fee. This morning I called them up and they said the estimated delivery is 7th June as of now. The sales person also told me that there is a mystic copper color W11 AT AWD model available - someone booked and had issues with loans and it is available now. I had opted for a different color so didn't opt for it. I will update when the vehicle arrives.
hii kbiswal firstly let me congratulate you on the new cheetah and the fantastic decision to go in for the AWD. In 2016 when buying the cheetah the sales guys had a similar attitude as i read from your earlier post.
I had thought by now their attitude would have changed.
I went in for the W8 AWD as well and chose it over the W10 FWD which was almost the same price. Other than the sunroof i really didn't miss anything in my AWD refresh post budget model.
Having had explored many softrading trails in the cheetah and its capability felt it is completely worth going in for the AWD.
keep revving.
Old 30th May 2018, 21:12   #2127
BHPian

Dear XUV experts, I need your help in deciding if W11 AT (O) makes sense over W11 AT just for the larger wheel. I test drove Hexa and XUV back to back and always found Hexa's ride quality better compared to XUV despite larger wheels. I have always felt that larger wheels offer bumpy ride. Keeping this in mind, I booked W11 AT (and also I prefer that silver wheel over black).

Do you reckon that I should go for 18 inches over 17? I test drove a 17 inch car (manual and last gen) and it rode better. I appreciate your expertise quickly as I am about to take the delivery and the dealer needs a confirmation.

Thanks.
Old 1st June 2018, 07:50   #2128
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 petrol seems to be struggling in the sales figures. Remains a double- digit number in an the past six months pf its sale.

Quote:
Between December 2017 and April 2018, Mahindra has sold 10,198 units of Mahindra XUV500. This means that the split is 99.56% diesel engine model and 0.44% petrol engine model. Higher fuel economy and longer driving range provided by a diesel engine usually make most SUV buyers prefer a diesel engine over a petrol engine, and on the top of that, rising petrol prices worsen the case for the Mahindra XUV500 petrol.

Source:
Old 1st June 2018, 09:16   #2129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post

Do you reckon that I should go for 18 inches over 17? I test drove a 17 inch car (manual and last gen) and it rode better. I appreciate your expertise quickly as I am about to take the delivery and the dealer needs a confirmation.

Thanks.
Definitely not. Ride quality hugely depends on the sidewall height of the tyres. 18inchers will have low profile tyres with lesser sidewall height and hence will be noticeably stiffer than 17inchers.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 09:36   #2130
BHPian

It seems I will get the delivery this week. I need some advise on what standard or useful accessories I should be opting for. Please let me know.

This is a W11AT AWd model.

Regards

Quote:

Most Viewed