Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 11:30   #421
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Hey Ankit, I had the same query. I wanted to get W6 mainly for better reliability and budget, but later on stretched to W8 keeping in mind all the safety and addl features that W8 offered for 2 lac. You get side/curtain airbags, ESP, alloys, leather seats, touchscreen infotainment, hill descent/hold and few more which are totally worth the 2 lac extra. touch wood so far in the last 4months of owning the car its been relatively niggle free other than few minor rattles. So if budget is non issue, choose W8.
Thank you for the reply. I agree that all the additional features are worth it. I had my eyes on Creta Sx(O) which s almost same priced as W6. W8 is almost 2L+ the taxes + insurances taking it further up. I cannot extend my budget to W8 which is very sad. But when I compare it with Creta SX(O) even that doesn't have ESP.
Old 5th August 2015, 12:41   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I am in same dilemma. It also puts me off to see W6 has no fog lamps. Though fog lamps can be installed later, ESP is something that is making me think. What worries me is the car this sizes if looses traction will be difficult to control for sure.
I'm also in a similar dilemma. Already stretched budget to 12L and then tried for 12.5L (all ex-showroom) so I could afford W6. Then one kind and responsible soul here said check ESP feature on YouTube and decide. Since seeing them I'm keen on getting the W8 (for ESP, 6 airbags, HH & HDC, etc.) but the damn budget wall.. Pulling hairs, I tell you.

But there is one concern. Also stemming from the recent 'W8 rolled over' accident thread. ESP and its related magic will work only when there is traction. What if the traction is already lost and ESP cannot kick-in? I am educated and sufficiently aware not to jump to conclusions and make stupid statements regarding that W8 accident, as there are too many variables. But, God forbid if such an accident happens and the W8's safety gear don't kick in, allowing for a fatal accident, how can I face the consequences of choosing a wrong car for the family? Even thinking about it gives me the scares. But got to applaud the XUV; after that crash and vehicle damage, the occupants walked to live (and yeah, slip disk for 1 lady) and that is what we need from such accidents (better they don't occur in the first place). It's the reason I'm still considering XUV as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
ESP with rollover mitigation is definitely a must. Good to hear it saved you
Sathya, your XUV color choice is awesome and the car looks good in that color with all that chrome. It's the color I wished W6 had too. Good luck to you and wish you a fantastic ownership.

One Q here. Will ESP with roll over mitigation always ensure 100% that traction will not be lost? The reason for my question is of course linked to the recently reported crash. If ESP worked, the vehicle shouldn't have gone off its wheels? It is also incorrect to drive at high speeds when it's raining or on a water logged road (aquaplaning issues) but in the event one does lose sense and does the incorrect, should the ESP not kick-in and prevent? I'm only trying to understand scenarios where ESP and related gadgetry may not work and then see the pros and cons. No denying it is a safety feature that's a must have, but what does one without budget for it do (other than drive carefully and hope for the best)? One of those scenarios where lack of budget is making me feel miserable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit_chd View Post
Thank you for the reply. I agree that all the additional features are worth it. I had my eyes on Creta Sx(O) which s almost same priced as W6. W8 is almost 2L+ the taxes + insurances taking it further up. I cannot extend my budget to W8 which is very sad. But when I compare it with Creta SX(O) even that doesn't have ESP.
I think the diesel SX(O) Creta doesn't have ESP, but it has Electronic Stability Control and Vehicle Stability Management, as Hyundai calls them. Can't say they are the same or not, but sound similar.
Old 5th August 2015, 16:58   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
I think the diesel SX(O) Creta doesn't have ESP, but it has Electronic Stability Control and Vehicle Stability Management, as Hyundai calls them. Can't say they are the same or not, but sound similar.

I doubt it has that too. I guess it goes to TOP model only. I was considering Creta but I was disappointed when it came to rear seat legroom and space. Its a looker no doubt about it. I feel at 13l W6 is better car. Too much Confusions all around.

Last edited by ankit_chd : 5th August 2015 at 16:59.
ankit_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 21:10   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Sathya, your XUV color choice is awesome and the car looks good in that color with all that chrome. It's the color I wished W6 had too. Good luck to you and wish you a fantastic ownership.

One Q here. Will ESP with roll over mitigation always ensure 100% that traction will not be lost? The reason for my question is of course linked to the recently reported crash. If ESP worked, the vehicle shouldn't have gone off its wheels? It is also incorrect to drive at high speeds when it's raining or on a water logged road (aquaplaning issues) but in the event one does lose sense and does the incorrect, should the ESP not kick-in and prevent? I'm only trying to understand scenarios where ESP and related gadgetry may not work and then see the pros and cons. No denying it is a safety feature that's a must have, but what does one without budget for it do (other than drive carefully and hope for the best)? One of those scenarios where lack of budget is making me feel miserable.
Thanks Ajay. All the Best to you !!

Wrt safety from accidents - no technology is 100% fool-proof and it always comes with "kick-in" conditions. (1) Having a car with better safety features (2) Drive carefully like don't drive at 90 kmph knowing it's rainy and water clogging on the road ahead -> are at least few minimum measures we should take. Each one may not hit an accident and of same collision situation anyway. You never know if you would hit a situation that can be mitigated by ESP or other technologies (I pray you shouldn't hit any such situation itself)!!

That said, we all hope we would never hit an accident but try to keep maximum safety features (within our budget) in our car and try to drive safely always.

When car topples, I believe many features can't kick in - but air bags must have kicked in is what I would expect minimally.
sathya_nars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 14:50   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
Looks like I have hit the niggles jackpot in this forum.

Niggles so far:
  1. The thumb wheel of "second from left" AC Vent on the dashboard is stuck. The workshop is having trouble sourcing the part - Yet To Be Fixed
  2. There was a squeak coming from the handbrake, apparently its a common niggle - Fixed
  3. The right fender was not properly aligned with the A pillar. This has been corrected, however while fixing this the workshop has broken a clamp on the smaller cladding of the wheel arch. Have taken up the matter with Mahindra. I would say this is - Partially Fixed
  4. There's a squeak that appears after driving the car for few minutes. I was told that its from the rear hatch and so all the doors were greased. This has not fixed the niggle. My initial suspect was the second row seat, however after spending better part of an hour locating it along with my friend we have narrowed it down to somewhere below the vehicle between the rear tyres. Mine is an AWD, might be something to do with it - Yet To Be Fixed
  5. The smaller seat of the second row would not tumble forward. Apparently the cable was not connected - Fixed
  6. There's a teeny weeny sliver of an area near the inside edge of the right rear door that somehow does not have a coat of paint! Missed this during my PDI - Yet To Be Fixed
  7. This has happened twice, the bluetooth module of the Infotainment System would not turn on. Had to switch off the car for a minute. This solved the problem. This happened in the first couple of days of ownership, has not happened again. - Not Reproducible
  8. The steering wheel is slightly offset to the right and the vehicle pulls slightly to the left - Yet To Be Fixed

After escalation of the matter (first customer care, then Regional Customer Care Manager and then Head Customer Care) the Regional Customer Care Manager has suddenly become very active and has been in touch with me yesterday and today. He's going to send a technician home tomorrow to look into the issues (sourcing the AC Vent apparently is going to take another week )

Whatever else you say, there's never a dull moment with an XUV
I am facing the last two niggles that you mentioned. Have you managed to fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
@mark_iv, bang on bro, I did precisely the same thing going by my instincts. Sprayed the vinegar on the cover. I guess cover causes much lighter scratches which can be taken care of, only by polishing Unlike the deeper ones caused by those claws. Anyways, it does seem that the dogs didnt climb on it last night. Need to do that for few more days to be sure.
you can use bitter apple spary, link below. This is widely available at at any pet shop. The dogs hate this smell and dont come to that area.

http://www.amazon.com/Grannicks-Bitt.../dp/B00028ZMEO

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th August 2015 at 15:11. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use the multi quote feature to respond to multiple posts.
Old 6th August 2015, 20:34   #426
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I need help in deciding to go for a vehicle for 7 people (me, wife, mom, dad, young sis and grand parents) which can be used to go for occasional weekend trips to my hometown Amritsar. Mostly it will only be 5 passengers but occasionally 7. So I am not sure if I am comparing the right cars or not. I am looking towards the XUV5OO and the TATA Aria. Any suggestions regarding my requirements which can suffice my needs.

My budget is around 15Lakhs. I will drive that car to my work also everyday which is 50kms both sides included. So a well balanced car with good space for all the passengers and luggage too. I don't mind putting a luggage on the carriers overhead.

Any Suggestions?

My head is saying Aria but heart says XUV.
Old 6th August 2015, 21:37   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanu2k15 View Post
I suggest , drop both the options as over a period of time, they start giving you niggles - be it minor sweaks and rattles from dashboard or major ones pertaining to transmission , ECU nags etc.

Look out for a used fortuner , you will get a good deal in your budget. It is a tank on 4 wheels , go anywhere capability . After all we are talking about Toyota
Old 6th August 2015, 22:18   #428
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello Guys,

I need help in deciding to go for a vehicle for 7 people (me, wife, mom, dad, young sis and grand parents) which can be used to go for occasional weekend trips to my hometown Amritsar. Mostly it will only be 5 passengers but occasionally 7. So I am not sure if I am comparing the right cars or not. I am looking towards the XUV5OO and the TATA Aria. Any suggestions regarding my requirements which can suffice my needs.

My budget is around 15Lakhs. I will drive that car to my work also everyday which is 50kms both sides included. So a well balanced car with good space for all the passengers and luggage too. I don't mind putting a luggage on the carriers overhead.

Any Suggestions?

Your head is saying Aria?

If I were in your situation, my head would say Innova and heart would want the XUV.

Last edited by SDP : 6th August 2015 at 22:20.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 22:33   #429
BHPian

Haha. I know strange choice but Innova is out because of its taxi tag and anyways I was looking for a SUV look so that's why didn't consider Innova much. I know issues with Tata but it's a VFM package. I guess it's same for XUV too. God I'm too confused. :-P
kanu2k15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 23:19   #430
BHPian

Quote:

Considering your family of six adults, if not all, I won't recommend XUV for long journeys. Last row is best suited for kids only.

You might want to wait (if you can) till Hexa and All new Innova hit the road. Test drive Renault Lodgy in the meanwhile, if you are able to digest its looks. Very practical MUV in my opinion though.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 6th August 2015 at 23:21.
Rock 'n' rollz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 09:40   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
Considering your family of six adults, if not all, I won't recommend XUV for long journeys. Last row is best suited for kids only.

You might want to wait (if you can) till Hexa and All new Innova hit the road. Test drive Renault Lodgy in the meanwhile, if you are able to digest its looks. Very practical MUV in my opinion though.
Yea great, I saw the TATA Hexa concept pics and it seems promising. I can wait for couple of months. I was thinking of buying the car in the new year. Hope it launches till that time.
Thanks Buddy
Old 7th August 2015, 10:06   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,

I need help in deciding to go for a vehicle for 7 people

My budget is around 15Lakhs.

I guess you should drop Aria from the list if not XUV and add Scorpio. I strongly recommond Scorpio as the choice for 3 critical reasons;
- Your need to add 7 members would be fulfilled easily
- Your vehicle to be driven to office is also taken care
- and you budget of 15 lac is also well managed!
now its time to close the deal

Last edited by LoneRidder : 7th August 2015 at 10:09.
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 13:12   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
Looks like I have hit the niggles jackpot in this forum.

Niggles so far:
  1. The thumb wheel of "second from left" AC Vent on the dashboard is stuck. The workshop is having trouble sourcing the part - Yet To Be Fixed
  2. There was a squeak coming from the handbrake, apparently its a common niggle - Fixed
  3. The right fender was not properly aligned with the A pillar. This has been corrected, however while fixing this the workshop has broken a clamp on the smaller cladding of the wheel arch. Have taken up the matter with Mahindra. I would say this is - Partially Fixed
  4. There's a squeak that appears after driving the car for few minutes. I was told that its from the rear hatch and so all the doors were greased. This has not fixed the niggle. My initial suspect was the second row seat, however after spending better part of an hour locating it along with my friend we have narrowed it down to somewhere below the vehicle between the rear tyres. Mine is an AWD, might be something to do with it - Yet To Be Fixed
  5. The smaller seat of the second row would not tumble forward. Apparently the cable was not connected - Fixed
  6. There's a teeny weeny sliver of an area near the inside edge of the right rear door that somehow does not have a coat of paint! Missed this during my PDI - Yet To Be Fixed
  7. This has happened twice, the bluetooth module of the Infotainment System would not turn on. Had to switch off the car for a minute. This solved the problem. This happened in the first couple of days of ownership, has not happened again. - Not Reproducible
  8. The steering wheel is slightly offset to the right and the vehicle pulls slightly to the left - Yet To Be Fixed

After escalation of the matter (first customer care, then Regional Customer Care Manager and then Head Customer Care) the Regional Customer Care Manager has suddenly become very active and has been in touch with me yesterday and today. He's going to send a technician home tomorrow to look into the issues (sourcing the AC Vent apparently is going to take another week )

Whatever else you say, there's never a dull moment with an XUV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarjeetphukan View Post
I am facing the last two niggles that you mentioned. Have you managed to fix it?
All the niggles reported above (except 6) have been fixed.
1: Fixed
3: They replaced it with a new one. It was not the clamp but the two sided tape that had gone bad and would not stay put.
4: Was from the rear suspension, they replaced the bush.
6: Was raining heavily, will get the touchup done during first service.
7: No action. I told them to leave it alone for now.
8: Fixed. Wheel balancing and alignment done.

Had to leave the car at the workshop for two days to get everything sorted.

Reached a milestone, my hundredth post on team-bhp, took all of six years

Last edited by sumithb : 7th August 2015 at 13:14. Reason: hundredth post
sumithb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 15:50   #434

Quote:
Hello Guys,

I need help in deciding to go for a vehicle for 7 people (me, wife, mom, dad, young sis and grand parents) which can be used to go for occasional weekend trips to my hometown Amritsar.
==================
Since you use the word occasionally for 7 people, the XUV will meet your needs just fine. The 2nd Row seat is pretty comfortable and large enough to seat 4 medium built adults and 3 adults of larger built comfortably. The last row I agree can only seat kids.
Old 7th August 2015, 20:05   #435
BHPian

Hi folks,
I am taking delivery of my silver W8 AWD tomorrow. I am being told that the reverse camera accessory now no longer supports showing camera view to the infotainment system (this was available in the old model W8). They say a software update should resolve this at some point. I am not opting for the reversing camera since I don't want a separate screen at this moment and would rather wait for the infotainment software update. Can any new gen W8 owners confirm this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks