Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2015, 10:48   #616

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahoor23 View Post
ICE upgrade:
Well, Mahindra didn't wanna make it a "perfect car" hence, they decided to partner with Nippon for sound system who supply these below-average speakers on a car of this $$$
Front : Infinity kappa 60.9cs
Rear : Infinity kappa 60.11 cs
Amp : Lightning audio( a unit of rockford fosgate) LA-4100
Amp wiring kit : Scosche
Dampin on 4 doors
Result : Much better than stocks, a subwoofer is sorely missed which shall be added after few months.
Would you mind sharing how much did it cost for the upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahoor23 View Post
3M glass cleaner
I am in two minds whether to purchase this or not? Any comparison with Colin ? Also, do you apply it both on the inside as well as outside?
Old 11th September 2015, 10:54   #617

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Thats mostly because of overhead luggage carrier and luggage on it if any. Nothing much can be done except that you will have to adjust your luggage and cover with a tarpaulin such that it makes as much slope as possible to reduce the air drag. The dynamics of any vehicle will change the moment we add external things like luggage on a carrier or additional weight. Its normal. Be careful of not to speed beyond what you can manage in the changed dynamics scenario.

Not much felt so far on my all highway drives but upgrading to Philips ExtremeVision H7, 130% bulbs would do just fine! No warranty issues if you replace the bulbs with exact same wattage and better performance.

Thanks for your advice abirnale.

On the 'air noise' point; if there would have been any luggage on the carrier, I would have accepted it, but in this case the carrier had no load. The fact that, with no load, the carrier that is officially sold by M&M as accessory makes so much noise, made me ask this question. Was wondering whether I am the only one experiencing this
Old 11th September 2015, 11:32   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba View Post
On the 'air noise' point; if there would have been any luggage on the carrier, I would have accepted it, but in this case the carrier had no load.
Not sure if that is only because of the carrier but could be combination of the air resistance on specific windy day plus tyre noises and stuff like that. I don't think empty rack would be so much to be bothered about for wind noise. I don't have one so no comments but logically thinking, it seems not one but multiple noises/ scenarios causing that effect.
Old 11th September 2015, 11:39   #619
Team-BHP Support

Last Sunday I drove the XUV for the first time. I had not even taken a ride in the XUV before. It was a thrilling drive to say the least. The torque steer in first gear is addictive
A fellow bhpian put the car through its pace and found the worst possible roads in the locality to check the suspension. The ride quality was mind blowing. I had heard a lot about the ride quality of the XUV, but I never expected this much. It just gobbled up the potholes and transmitted none of the harshness to the passengers.
The suspension bottomed out twice on very bad roads and the lower plastic guard came off on one side. The ground clearance is a pain, everything hangs too low. The approach and departure angles are also less. What we found out was that it is an excellent cruiser but cannot beat the body-on-frame SUVs in terms of ruggedness.
One more thing that bhpian Himadrimondal (with his vast experience of driving in the hills) pointed out is that the turbo lag in the first gear might be a bit of concern in stop-start conditions on the inclines. We need to hear from first hand experiences of the owners regarding this.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 11th September 2015 at 11:43.
Old 11th September 2015, 16:10   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Last Sunday I drove the XUV for the first time. I had not even taken a ride in the XUV before. It was a thrilling drive to say the least. The torque steer in first gear is addictive
A fellow bhpian put the car through its pace and found the worst possible roads in the locality to check the suspension. The ride quality was mind blowing. I had heard a lot about the ride quality of the XUV, but I never expected this much. It just gobbled up the potholes and transmitted none of the harshness to the passengers.
The suspension bottomed out twice on very bad roads and the lower plastic guard came off on one side. The ground clearance is a pain, everything hangs too low. The approach and departure angles are also less. What we found out was that it is an excellent cruiser but cannot beat the body-on-frame SUVs in terms of ruggedness.
One more thing that bhpian Himadrimondal (with his vast experience of driving in the hills) pointed out is that the turbo lag in the first gear might be a bit of concern in stop-start conditions on the inclines. We need to hear from first hand experiences of the owners regarding this.
Never driven in Hills yet but steep inclines in malls with back to back traffic is not a problem since the hill assist will hold the car stationary for a good 3 seconds enough to rev up to push the vehicle forward gracefully. Takes a little getting used to though. After using a Scorpio for 9 years, I am conditioned to do the break, gear, accelerator shuffle to get the car moving.

Agree on the GC though. I have experience suspension bottoming out on some larger humps a few times even on regular roads.

One unrealated question. My AWD lights (warning lights) came on and stayed on till I stopped the vehicle. I was just driving down to a basement parking. They went away after switching the engine off and restarting. Anyone else face this or it it normal ?
Old 11th September 2015, 17:02   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberyn View Post
One unrealated question. My AWD lights (warning lights) came on and stayed on till I stopped the vehicle. I was just driving down to a basement parking. They went away after switching the engine off and restarting. Anyone else face this or it it normal ?
AFAIK, The warning lights on the instrument cluster should not lit up unless and until there is something wrong, I did not see it even once in my W10 after driving it on many surfaces, Including going up and down in several basements, Even with the AWD lock button active no light on the instrument cluster comes up, Only the AWD lock button would glow. I suggest keep a check if it comes on again.
Old 11th September 2015, 18:55   #622

Airavat wearing all his jewels . Few snaps taken right after installing new alloys. Will share better pictures later.

Accessories added:

- XUV 500 sporty roof carries
- MTek side step
- MTek read guard
- Onyx alloys
- Headlamp bulbs - High beam - Philip ExtremeVision 130%
- Headlamp bulbs - Low beam - Philip ExtremeVision H7
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-20150911_161601.jpg  

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-20150911_161619.jpg  

Simba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 19:26   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhirama View Post
Would you mind sharing how much did it cost for the upgrade?
It costed 35k for the entire setup mainly because i had sourced and the kappa 60.9cs 5 years back at a much higher price and used them now. You can PM me for any details regarding ICE and i shall definitely help you out. Make sure to get the installation from someone who has the hands on experience on XUV's ICE upgrade.

Quote:
I am in two minds whether to purchase this or not? Any comparison with Colin ? Also, do you apply it both on the inside as well as outside?
Its good, but if you can stretch i suggest you to go for the one from Meguiars as i found the car shampoo from them to be brilliant!
Zahoor23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 21:31   #624
BHPian

Happened at the office. While reverse parking, my colleague had a brain fart and backed his Honda City into the beast resulting in a dent on the driver side door

The dent was huge, however after opening and closing the door couple of times the dent popped out! After reaching home used some rubbing compound to take the City's bumper colour off the door.

The panel seems to have lost a bit of compressive strength, might be because of the two dent's marked in red. Here's the result of my effort:
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-dent.png

Questions:
  • Should I get it repaired at the dealership or outside? I always took my previous cars outside for denting and painting. However, this time I am worried about presence of complicated electronics within the door (mine is a W10 so proximity sensors for the keys etc).
  • For those with experience, what's the monetary damage I am looking at?
  • Can I charge the cost to my colleague's insurance? The car is registered on his Dad's name.
Old 11th September 2015, 21:51   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba View Post
- Headlamp bulbs - High beam - Philip ExtremeVision 130%
- Headlamp bulbs - Low beam - Philip ExtremeVision H7
How much did the bulbs cost you? Did you get the bulbs replaced at the service center?

Also can you post some pics showing the throw of the lights after installing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
Questions:
  • Should I get it repaired at the dealership or outside? I always took my previous cars outside for denting and painting. However, this time I am worried about presence of complicated electronics within the door (mine is a W10 so proximity sensors for the keys etc).
  • For those with experience, what's the monetary damage I am looking at?
  • Can I charge the cost to my colleague's insurance? The car is registered on his Dad's name.
Sad to know about the dent sumithb, but looks like not much of damage their. I would suggest you to get it done outside as the entire door panel has to be worked upon and it would cost close to 10K at the dealership, whereas it should be done at half the cost outside. If you see my ownership thread, I got my half front bumper repaired outside at a cost of 2500/-, whereas I was quoted 5K at the dealership. Here is the link
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 22:02   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Sad to know about the dent sumithb, but looks like not much of damage their. I would suggest you to get it done outside as the entire door panel has to be worked upon and it would cost close to 10K at the dealership, whereas it should be done at half the cost outside. If you see my ownership thread, I got my half front bumper repaired outside at a cost of 2500/-, whereas I was quoted 5K at the dealership. Here is the link
Have been following your thread, so know about the work done to your bumper. In my case I am worried that they would need to remove the inner door panel to do the work, not sure about the complexity/electronics inside.
Old 11th September 2015, 22:29   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have been following your thread, so know about the work done to your bumper. In my case I am worried that they would need to remove the inner door panel to do the work, not sure about the complexity/electronics inside.
IMO I don't think they will work on the inner panel, atleast seeing the amount of dent. Check with them if they can remove that dent using suction or put some putty to get it in shape. Confirm what they will do and then take a decision. Also get a quote from the dealer has well, if its reasonable go with the insurance so that you will have peace of mind.
Old 12th September 2015, 00:41   #628

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberyn View Post
Nope, does not happen in mine. As per the manual, the AWD icon shows up in the display only in case of a malfunction.
Old 12th September 2015, 01:55   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
IMO I don't think they will work on the inner panel, atleast seeing the amount of dent. Check with them if they can remove that dent using suction or put some putty to get it in shape. Confirm what they will do and then take a decision. Also get a quote from the dealer has well, if its reasonable go with the insurance so that you will have peace of mind.
Ya, plan to check with the dealership and outside for a quote.

Any idea if I can get it done through my colleagues' insurance?
Old 12th September 2015, 06:51   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ya, plan to check with the dealership and outside for a quote.

Any idea if I can get it done through my colleagues' insurance?
I think that is allowed but I am not 100% sure. Again you can check with the dealer when u take a quote.

And I know how much it hurts when such things happen, I am telling this as I went through this phase and it is really difficult to come out of it until it is resolved.

Most Viewed