Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2015, 03:53   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I have heard that old bullet like tappet sound in my xuv also. But it usually comes only at the time of cold start. I idle it for about a minute or so, then move it ahead keeping a very light foot on the accelerator. If I try to press the accelerator harder till the engine has warmed up, the sound becomes quite audible. After a km or two, it doesnt bother at all and a smooth journey all the way to three digits speed.
Yes it was the same for me before as well, Which seems to be normal, It only started once i crossed 9000 kms, Trying to go down to the service centre on monday to check for the cause of it.
Old 31st October 2015, 13:45   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Yes it was the same for me before as well, Which seems to be normal, It only started once i crossed 9000 kms, Trying to go down to the service centre on monday to check for the cause of it.
Hello Tanveer,

I reached bangalore today morning from kerala for a days visit and noise was too much. Called up my RM in Kochi and I was asked to contact a service center in bangalore. I went to Sireesh auto an hour ago and they immediately diagnosed issue as software issue. They reflashed the software and issue is gone. My XUV is super silent again.They mentioned that this is a new software update

Hope the software update fixes the issue with your XUV as well.

I was surprised with the customer friendliness of staff at Sireesh Marathahalli to accommodate me during a busy saturday and fix the issue in less than 30 minutes. I can drive back to my hometown peacefully.
S5157 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 18:09   #828

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
They mentioned that this is a new software update

I was surprised with the customer friendliness of staff .
I can drive back to my hometown peacefully.
It's nice to hear that you got the problem resolved. Did you ask the staff if the update is applicable to XUVs of all batches? On Monday, I'll be going to TVS Kochi to fix the excessive rattling sound from the dashboard and the left pulling at 50kmph+. I'll be asking the staff there about any software update for my xuv(September make)
Old 31st October 2015, 19:31   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Tanveer,

I reached bangalore today morning from kerala for a days visit and noise was too much. Called up my RM in Kochi and I was asked to contact a service center in bangalore. I went to Sireesh auto an hour ago and they immediately diagnosed issue as software issue. They reflashed the software and issue is gone. My XUV is super silent again.They mentioned that this is a new software update

I was surprised with the customer friendliness of staff at Sireesh Marathahalli to accommodate me during a busy saturday and fix the issue in less than 30 minutes. I can drive back to my hometown peacefully.
Thanks for the info mate. Wow, 30 minutes was quick, I hope mine too will be fixed with the software update, I am also getting the 10k servicing done along with it, Fingers crossed, Hoping for a good experience.
Old 31st October 2015, 21:11   #830
BHPian

Does anyone know when the XUV 500 automatic expected ? I spoke to a dealer today and he said its expected very soon. I am planning to book a W0 in 2 weeks but wouldn't mind waiting for a few months if the automatic gets launched by that time.
Old 1st November 2015, 00:12   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephencherian View Post
It's nice to hear that you got the problem resolved. Did you ask the staff if the update is applicable to XUVs of all batches? On Monday, I'll be going to TVS Kochi to fix the excessive rattling sound from the dashboard and the left pulling at 50kmph+. I'll be asking the staff there about any software update for my xuv(September make)
Hello Stephencherian,

I was told that software update is applicable for all variants but i didn't check which batches are covered. My XUV is from July end batch. The issue fixes the excessive knocking sound from Engine. Seems some issue with fuel delivery which is fixed. The left pulling issue is there in most XUVs and issue in my XUV was fixed to some 90% during first service last month at TVS Kochi. I have done around 4500 kms in last one month and slight left pulling is not much of a bother. I will be going to TVS kochi on 4th November for my 10K service and if needed I can check with them on the batch details.
Old 1st November 2015, 01:05   #832
Senior - BHPian

To all XUV owners, one short question:
How good does the XUV handle dead stop and start on a steep incline/hilly section?
Does it have enough power at those low/idle rpms or is it all after the turbo spools up?
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 01:49   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Tanveer,

This is interesting. Did you get more details. I am curious to know that how does S/W update fix a mechanical kind of issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
To all XUV owners, one short question:
How good does the XUV handle dead stop and start on a steep incline/hilly section?
Does it have enough power at those low/idle rpms or is it all after the turbo spools up?
Cheers,
Deepak
Depends on what kind of inclines you are referring to. In general the engine is pretty torquey even at low rpms and the autohold feature on incline certainly helps. You will need to slip the clutch a bit on steep slopes if the car is loaded, but once it moves it manages well.
Old 1st November 2015, 02:01   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Depends on what kind of inclines you are referring to.
Say, i am going from Bangalore to Ooty via Masinagudi and you know the ghat sections. I had to stop soon after a hair pin because of an old ambassador who could not stop/give way. I had a harrowing time getting back up and moving.
Quote:
In general the engine is pretty torquey even at low rpms and the autohold feature on incline certainly helps.
Sure, autohold helps. But my issue is not with half-clutch. It is post that. You are slowly releasing the clutch and throttling up, but nothing happens and to avoid stalling, i had to depress the clutch again.
Quote:
You will need to slip the clutch a bit on steep slopes if the car is loaded, but once it moves it manages well.
To have her moving, i had to do some serious revving and slipping the clutch.
Was it just in this car or is it in all of them?
In that aspect, i find the lower first gear on the duster AWD so much better.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 1st November 2015, 06:24   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
This is interesting. Did you get more details. I am curious to know that how does S/W update fix a mechanical kind of .
Hello Supertinu

The engine noise was a kind of knocking sound.This could be fixed with controlling the fueling related parameters.

We had similar issues with our i10 auto and was fixed with ecu updates.But i didnt know till yesterday that diesels will also have similar issues.
S5157 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 06:31   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Say, i am going from Bangalore to Ooty via Masinagudi and you know the ghat sections. I had to stop soon after a hair pin because of an old ambassador who could not stop/give way. I had a harrowing time getting back up and moving.

Sure, autohold helps. But my issue is not with half-clutch. It is post that. You are slowly releasing the clutch and throttling up, but nothing happens and to avoid stalling, i had to depress the clutch again.

To have her moving, i had to do some serious revving and slipping the clutch.
Was it just in this car or is it in all of them?
In that aspect, i find the lower first gear on the duster AWD so much better.
Cheers,
Deepak
Duster awd has a short first gear ratio which helps a lot while climbing or descending steep slops.it almost acts like a low ratio 2nd or 3rd gear. Having said that xuv needs to burn the clutch a bit if you have to do stop and start in mid of a hair pin bend such as one on masinagudi ooty road when fully loaded.Another pain area is reversing uphill. I always wished my awd had a much shorter first gear.
Old 1st November 2015, 08:23   #837
J.Ravi

Quote:
I faced two anxious moments during my recent Uttarakhand trip.

1. While driving towards Badrinath, just before Vishnuprayag hydro-electric project near Hanuman Chatti, there was a steep, narrow, gravelly stretch with boulders washed from upstream, where many sedans and hatchbacks were found stranded as they could not climb due to their low ground clearance. Many Innovas could easily climb because of their rear-wheel drive. When my turn came, I drove in the first gear, but my XUV 500 could not pass in the first attempt. So, I came down, again revved the engine, gathered the required momentum, drove faster, without depressing the clutch pedal, not bothering the boulders and XUV 500 passed in the second attempt with some fellow-drivers pushing from behind! There was no problem while climbing down that stretch in the return trip.

2. The paved approach road from Hotel Padmini Nivas, Mussoorie - where we had stayed - to the Mall Road, was very steep. After we checked out of the hotel, I started crawling the steep stretch in the first gear, but XUV 500 got tired mid-way. So, I backed down, gathered enough momentum, drove faster in the first gear and XUV 500 passed in the second attempt without any external help.

So, what did I learn from these two episodes? One, although it has abundant power and torque, XUV 500 is FWD and weighs around 2 tonnes, which compromise while tackling the ghats and steep stretches. Two, in such cases, I have to plan my strategy in advance, either to go with adequate momentum in the first gear or drive in the reverse. In such cases, AWD will be more effective, I feel.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 1st November 2015 at 08:34.
  (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 11:17   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I faced two anxious moments during my recent Uttarakhand trip.

1. While driving towards Badrinath, just before Vishnuprayag

2. The paved approach road from Hotel Padmini Nivas, Mussoorie
Ravi Sir, thank you for sharing these valuable experiences, I consider them worth the value of gold.

I am a firm believer that a MUV/SUV must have at least a rear wheel drive if not AWD, because the rear wheels take maximum load. When the car moves ahead the centre of gravity shifts backwards, hence most of the MUVs have rear wheel drives. I was in a similar situation in my humble Indica while climbing the Bhimashankar ghat. The car was fully loaded and while climbing I had to come to a stand still. Indica again being a front wheel drive found it difficult to get any traction & caused some wheel spin. I had to ask all occupants to get down and had to generously burn the clutch to get the car moving ahead.

Once again I was in a similar situation while on a trip to Konkan, there was a muddy road along the coast, with loose sand. There was absolutely no traction. Once again I had to ask everyone to get down, do generous wheel spinning (with clouds of dust all around) and somehow scrambled through it.

From these two incidences, I sweared that my next car would be RWD only as I carry loads of people on outstation trips. My next car, the pre-worshipped Innova served me well for almost a near and not even once I was stuck in such a situation. On one trip to Awas beach (near Alibaugh), we were 7 well built adults and there was bridge under construction over a dry canal. We had to dive into the canal on loose gravel and come up. The Innova didn't break any sweat and there was no bottom scraping.

Quote:
So, what did I learn from these two episodes? One, although it has abundant power and torque, XUV 500 is FWD and weighs around 2 tonnes, which compromise while tackling the ghats and steep stretches. Two, in such cases, I have to plan my strategy in advance, either to go with adequate momentum in the first gear or drive in the reverse. In such cases, AWD will be more effective, I feel.
You are spot on. Earlier I was very keen on getting the XUV, but its FWD and the humungous dimensions for my limited parking slot were the only deterrents. Finally I settled for its younger and modest sibling the TUV3OO, which fortunately comes in RWD configuration.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 13:18   #839
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Finally I settled for its younger and modest sibling the TUV3OO, which fortunately comes in RWD configuration.
Congratulations and best wishes on becoming the owner of a TUV 300, AutoIndian.

My XUV 500 has abundant power, torque, adequate ground clearance, cruise control, ESP, electronic gizmos, monocoque build, but FWD. One cannot have monocoque build + RWD, it seems!
  (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 13:32   #840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Congratulations and best wishes on becoming the owner of a TUV 300, AutoIndian.
Thank you for your wishes Sir.

Quote:
My XUV 500 has abundant power, torque, adequate ground clearance, cruise control, ESP, electronic gizmos, monocoque build, but FWD. One cannot have monocoque build + RWD, it seems!
So very true, we all live with one or the other compromises with our cars. But getting to know one's car's limitations and driving it within those limits really helps. There is hardly any car in its segment, which can topple the XUV as far as the specs are concerned, be it engine (power/torque) or features.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks