Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2015, 08:16   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Never heard of an "Electronic Steering Lock" which is apparently a feature in the W10. What are the advantages?
Since it has the start/stop button, there's no mechanical steering lock with the key. So now the cars with start/stop button and keyless go have electric steering lock. When you step into the car, you will hear a mechanical click which unlocks the steering wheel.

Works well on my Ecosport.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 08:31   #77
BHPian

W10 does not use a convectional key. Implication is that you can't simply take out the key from the ignition switch and turn steering to lock it. So this functionality is implemented electronically.

Here's what the manual says:
Quote:
Your vehicle is equipped with electronic anti-theft steering column lock. The steering wheel locks when the engine start stop button is in OFF position to protect against the theft. The steering wheel locks automatically when the driver door is opened or 30 sec after engine start stop button changes to OFF position.
Neatly done IMO.
sumithb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 09:31   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Ideally you can keep the glass closed and move the inside shade manually.

EDIT - some issue, unable to upload the image grab from user manual to illustrate tilt function.
Thanks. i meant the shade . from the photos was not clear if there was a shade.
Old 17th June 2015, 09:39   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

^ The tilt function grab from user manual @FuelInjector.

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-tiltfunction.png

So when you retract (open) the shade, and tilt the glass, you should get that much needed air ventilation for smoke or quick cooling after an hour of parking under sun!
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 10:49   #80
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Since it has the start/stop button, there's no mechanical steering lock with the key. So now the cars with start/stop button and keyless go have electric steering lock. When you step into the car, you will hear a mechanical click which unlocks the steering wheel.

Works well on my Ecosport.
Thanks for clarifying!

While we are talking about Keyless Go functionality, let me share one more observation.

In the W10, due to the KeylessGo, the ignition key-hole next to the steering has been removed. So anybody would wonder: what is there at the earlier place of the key hole? The answer is: M&M just plugged that hole with a cheap plastic cap. You can actually pull that cap out and have a look at the internals.

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-dsc_0039.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-dsc_0038.jpg

When you are giving the premium functionalities like keyless entry and go, you need to address such details as well. You can not just plug it with a a plastic cap. If I were part of M&M's design team, I would have redesigned that entire plastic panel so that there is no hole and instead would have added a sticker at that place "Look Ma, no keys!!"
SDP is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 10:59   #81
Senior - BHPian

Today I saw a face-lifted XUV with the front-bottom half masked with tapes on Hosur road.
I wonder if they are making any changes to the fog-lamp area.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 11:11   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying!

While we are talking about Keyless Go functionality, let me share one more observation.

In the W10, due to the KeylessGo, the ignition key-hole next to the steering has been removed. So anybody would wonder: what is there at the earlier place of the key hole? The answer is: M&M just plugged that hole with a cheap plastic cap. You can actually pull that cap out and have a look at the internals.
SDP, that is how it is in most economy cars.

Even here in Dubai, many cars have keyless start stop in their top variants. Such slots are covered with a cap like in the XUV.

Manufacturing a new panel just for one variant means investing in new tooling and dyes, which does not make economic sense for the company. Alternatively, the price of the W10 will increase significantly... just to remove a cap!
raj_5004 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 11:17   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I talked to my sales advisor and he had a usual story to tell that he can't assure a particular brand of tyres. However I was adamant that I wanted duellers. Will put some pressure on the day of booking and might tell him that I am not going to take the delivery unless I get what I want.
Normally sales rep are very helpful in these situations. Dealers will have bunch of cars in the stockyard with different tires and its just a matter of allocating the one of your choice to you. I did that recently for XUV and earlier on my Figo. Incase they resist, tell him you will go to the competing dealer in city.

Quote:
This is hilarious. I understand that Mahindra didnt get a new panel tooling for W10 to save cost, but seriously atleast the plug should be more firm and not removable by end user so easily.
Old 17th June 2015, 11:19   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent Review Tushar and SDP!

I like the new age XUV's styling better than my older XUV. Ofcourse the only sore point is the chrome near foglamps, otherwise its well done. I like the new Black+Beige theme better than the older car.

Is the sump guard still plastic? Is it bolted any better than the previous gen car? The one on my car used to come off when scraped.

I guess actual GC(Paper specs dont make a difference here) is same as before.

I read somewhere there are changes to gear ratios as well. Did you observe any changes? Slightly shorter first 3 gears would have been great for city crawling and offroad, these ratios in my car are just too tall, a lot of clutch intervention is required for crawling in traffic where even the first gear at idle speed is too fast.

After a few updates, my 2012 XUV AWD is completely niggle free now and with the 5 year warranty I intend to keep it for atleast for another 1.5 years. I wish a AWD + AT variant arrives by then.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 11:19   #85
BHPian

HI, Wonderdul to read the great details in the reviews. Great Job, shows the Passion....

I test drove the new XUV500 recently and noticed a few things. Would like to list them:

1. Gear shift felt "all over the place". Not precise at all. Almost like shifting on an old jeep, except with some mushing effect.
2. when I pressed the clutch and took a turn, I could feel the steering rod turn on my left foot's footware as it was touching the steering Rod. My feet are not very long (Size 9) I found this very irritating and seems like a lack of detail in the engineering design.
3. Build quality and overall tightness was lacking. Did not feel like a it was put together well.

4. Only thing going in favour was the Engines responsiveness and the seat comfort on the first two rows. Odd thing is that the 2nd row seats did not lean back fully. The Sales Rep told me that it was because this was an SUV and not an MUV. Odd..!!

I have been test driving a few Fortuners recently to buy one. I must say that I preferred a 65k km run Fortuner to a Brand new XUV anyday.
The Bolero was one of my favourites (I owned 3, one after another). Have always had a soft corner for the Mahindras due to the Bolero. I really wish they could push further and give the global brands some genuinely serious competition.
satyanu28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 11:20   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When you are giving the premium functionalities like keyless entry and go, you need to address such details as well. You can not just plug it with a a plastic cap.
The other alternative would have been to provide the start/stop switch there.

I think it is cheaper for the manufacturers to just have the plastic cap made instead of reengineering and manufacturing a plastic trim with no holes.

Here's a Jetta sold abroad with the key slot covered with a plastic cap:

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-2011volkswagenjetta6048.jpg

And the start/stop switch on the centre console trim:

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-2011volkswagenjetta6049.jpg

Source: Google Images

Not the case everywhere though. BHPian StarrySky's Octavia Combi has the start/stop switch on the keyslot location:

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-octavia_22_1200.jpg

Source: His ownership thread
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 11:41   #87
BHPian

Here are my 2 cents on the tyres bit:-

After spending 52K kms with my Cheetah, I felt it needed a new pair of shoes (earlier one being Bridgestone's). Some well meaning friends suggested not to spend a mulaah on new sets and get the Apollo Apterra's. The Apollos costing 8K per tyre compared to Bridgestones (BST's) @ 12k.

With a lot of expectations got the Apollos, drove them for 2000 kms, hated them (low grip levels, low comfort etc etc), sold them at a loss of 2 Grand per tyre and bought myself BST's (265/65/17 as compared to original size of 235/65/17) and boy am I HAPPY .

The cheetah now grips well, rides well and handles bad roads real well. Can confidently say that in terms or ride quality now its much better than a Fortuner. The fuel economy has dropped by 1 kmpl, but am not complaining at all.

CRUX: For me, BST's are anyday much better than Apollos and JK's. The chettah is a different beast altogether when wearing the BST's
Joyb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 11:46   #88
BHPian

Quote:
The empty rear seats vibrate when the car is in motion in the pre-facelift XUV. No change in New Age XUV.
I noticed horrible rear seat rattling in my friend's new pre-facelift XUV. Is it that bad in the facelift one as well? Any suggestions to fix the rattle that I can pass on to my friend? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyanu28 View Post
I have been test driving a few Fortuners recently to buy one. I must say that I preferred a 65k km run Fortuner to a Brand new XUV anyday.
Hi satyanu. While you're at it, could I indulge you to test drive the new Strome as well. Maybe you enjoy the drive better than a pre-owned Fortuner. It would save you some money which you can splurge on some nice accessories.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying the Storme is a better vehicle than XUV or Fortuner. It's only a suggestion to consider the Storme as an option as well. Please don't flame me! Thanks.

Last edited by param22k : 17th June 2015 at 11:52.
param22k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 11:51   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Today I saw a face-lifted XUV with the front-bottom half masked with tapes on Hosur road.
I wonder if they are making any changes to the fog-lamp area.
They have received a lot of flak for that quirky fog lamp area. They should tone down the excess chrome laden design and might be painting the area around the fog lamps in body colour. This is what happened with the back door design of the new generation scorpio too, wherein they came up with a body coloured back cladding within 4 months of initial launch. Now again, do i keep waiting? Wont the current owners feel cheated ? They should do it FOC for recent customers and leave it at their discretion.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 12:12   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
I noticed horrible rear seat rattling in my friend's new pre-facelift XUV.
=====
Please don't flame me! Thanks.
Thanks very much for the suggestion. Does make financial sense.
Firstly I am looking for an AT, so that pretty much settles the case...!!

But, when I did TD the Storme I was quite impressed overall. There was a sense of warmth in the drive. But I have not yet got over my NO-TATA bias.
satyanu28 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks