Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2016, 21:36   #1231
BHPian

That is illogical. It should only light on the side to which you are turning.

Both sides turning on irrespective of direction might pose a hazard to oncoming vehicles, especially on sharper/ faster curves.

Last edited by pillainp : 6th April 2016 at 21:37.
Old 6th April 2016, 21:58   #1232
BANNED

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Has anyone noticed that both static bending lights come on no matter what direction you turn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Actually, this was present even in the pre-facelift version. Both the static bending lights would switch on irrespective of the direction you turned the steering.
By logic only the lamp should light up in which the steering is turned too but when I have done the TD's, both the cornering lamps turn on.

Here's the excerpt from the manual:
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-untitled.jpg

It doesn't mention that only the side that the steering is turned, that lamp must come on. So I guess it is normal functioning.

But I find it good as at higher speeds (80 kmph +), when both lamps are ON for a short while, the view is clear for the driver.
Old 6th April 2016, 22:58   #1233
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ Many other vehicles which have "static bending lamps" have the similar behaviour. Regardless of the direction of the movement of the steering, both side lights come ON. The ones in Jetta and other high end sedans are static as well as dynamic bending lights that proportionally turn base don the steering inputs!

Hope one of the future upgrades on XUV would come up with static as well as dynamic bending lights!
abirnale is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 00:03   #1234
MSA

Buying a new car - Mahindra XUV for me

Buying a car:
I know there are a whole bunch of professionals and veterans of Team BHP – but I thought I would add my two cents as well.
The only vehicle “I” owned prior to the car I bought was a BSA cycle – nearly 20 years ago. Two-wheelers are vetoed in my house so it was a real long wait for my first car and for those of you who are going to make your very first purchase, this might help.
Objective criteria:
1. Cost
2. Safety features
3. Utility value
4. Value for money in terms of features
5. After sales service, network
6. Parking (if you’re in Delhi!)
7. Fuel costs

Subjective criteria
1. Connect with the brand and the car

Since I’m in Delhi, I looked for a big car – if I were in Bombay, Bangalore or Madras might have picked a sedan – but for a brief bit it was a toss between the XUV and Verna – because both have 6 airbags. And yes, that was a major factor for me – also because it is Delhi. After test driving a few cars – wasn’t impressed with the drive and feel of Duster at all. Despite calling Nissan several times, no one came. Eco-Sport was good – but It felt like an over grown car. Tata Safari came close – but then for subjective reasons and the 6 air bags and the new XUV which had other features, went for Mahindra. There was no way I was going to buy a Ford or GM for subjective reasons – VW, Toyota and Honda were way too pricey (budget was less than 20). Based on what I read and heard from car owners, after sales service is pretty much a matter of luck.
I have to say though that the Ssang Yong Rexton felt a great drive – it was quite smooth and probably worth the price. Of all the cars I test drove, the XUV, Nano were the funnest – if you know what I mean.
Having bought the car, this is has been my experience –
I got the W10 FWD (electronic seats, sun-roof). I had read that Bridgestone tyres are good and had requested for that – and Red – wanted that as well. Got the side step for folks – although height isn’t much, it’s been helpful even for me in cases of tight squeezes while parking! Having driven around 5,000 km extensively in Delhi and a little bit in Rajasthan and UP - in sun, rain and winter, the overall drive experience has been quite good. The only cars I have driven extensively are my folks’ cars – Zen, Eon, Santro, Fiat and friends I10, I20, Scorpio and Sumo. I had taken the Innova for a test drive and it feels quite awesome to drive. As a passenger, you are protected from bumps to quite an extent in the Innova – but XUV’s shocks felt a little stiff. For the XUV’s size, it doesn’t feel big or bulky and the drive is quite smooth and manoeuvring it is not that difficult. I have never felt handicapped because of the XUV in doing sharp turns or parking – most sedans are nearly the same size. I have been in villages in UP and Shapur Jat and not had a problem. Once you’re in the drivers seat though, any difficulty / inconvenience in parking or turning evaporates.
The XUV drives really well on bumps, in rain and on dirt tracks. The AC is pretty decent – at least for front seat. For the most part, I have driven only with a passenger – but people in second row have generally been fine.
Music system and wipers are great – the rain sensing technology for wiper and auto-head lights is also quite good.
I don’t know how other tyres are, but may be because I drive alone, found that Bridgestone can lack grip while doing sharp turns. I’ve done good speeds on the Yamuna Expressway and it was fine – sturdy and assured. Did spots of soft sand where the XUV was able to get me out without issues – so I guess the traction is also fine. But Bridgestone tyres do feel like they aren’t as good as they should be.
Electronics – definitely patchy and not-assuring. It’s not like a German or Japanese car. I do hope that Mahindra works on this.
I have done only one servicing and things have been fine. As an XUV owner, I get pick-up and drop facility so no hassles!
Fuel consumption – having done about 5,000 kms it’s at around 11 kmpl. My use is quite limited – but I don’t mind. Given diesel costs, it’s alright. Given the impending odd-even rule, it doesn’t matter.
I live in Defence Colony so parking is not a huge hassle. If I were elsewhere and had to park outside the colony or away from my house, I might not have bought the XUV! This is a problem I have seen and experienced only in Delhi and not in Bombay, Bangalore and Madras.
People may tell you a lot about looks – it is very subjective. I used to think the New Age XUV looked…not so nice. But it has grown on me and I love my car. Interiors are fine – good quality.
Having been used to 1,000 CC petrol cars, I’m not used to keeping the engine running to have the engine warmed up! But if you do that, engine purrs and it doesn’t have that typical diesel engine sound. Strongly recommended to ensure that car does better.
Do not have great expectations from customer service in India – in my experience, Jet Airways to an extent and AMEX are the only ones which are decent – I have hassles with FIAT (Premier), Maruti and Hyundai earlier – there is little to pick from all.
Make sure insurance policy is comprehensive.
FWD or AWD
Mine is FWD – unless you’re planning extensive hill-side driving or live in the hills, I don’t see the point of a AWD in the city. XUV is a soft-off-roader or urban SUV – it ought to be used as such.

Soft touches from Mahindra -
Lighting is awesome, the cubby holes are very convenient, the height of the car – is fine (subject to the side stand) for elders as well. Follow-me home lamps are also great. The micro-hybrid and auto-start-stop at signals is great. Audio is simply awesome.
Premium service from Purple Club of Mahindra.
XUV drivers are generally not a**holes! You won’t have an image issue!

Deficiencies in the car I hope Mahindra works on –
Electronics – definitely needs refinement. Sun-roof and ORVMs – sometimes sun-roof doesn’t open fully and ORVMS don’t close.
I think AC can be more effective – the blower is good but the cooling effect, can be better.
Middle row seats should be adjustable and movable – it isn’t and that can be a pain.
Seat quality has to improve. It doesn’t feel like leather in the German cars. I think plain fabric is better. At high speeds if you break, people in the rear seats move a lot.
Dead pedal feels useless and not convenient for my large foot! When on cruise, I feel like there’s no place for my foot!
The worst about the XUV is the GPS Navigator – which is totally useless – it has taken me to places with metro construction in Delhi and village gulleys in UP and ….worst, it refused to recognise the Bulandshahr bypass and left me guessing in the middle of the highway for 5 minutes. The GPS definitely needs to change!

Finally, there will be an element of subjectivity and gut instinct which drives your purchase instinct. Be guided by that but be mindful of some objective factors!

Best of luck and enjoy your new car!

MSA

Last edited by Aditya : 12th April 2016 at 07:06. Reason: Deleting mention of high speed driving
MSA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 09:38   #1235
BHPian

Guys, my insurance policy was delivered yesterday. Insurance is done with ICICI Lombard. I had opted for Zero depreciation and bumper to bumper coverage. While the policy details mention zero depreciation, bumper to bumper is not mentioned anywhere.

Is this a cause for concern? I had purchased the policy via the dealer. Is it that bumper to bumper is by default, when purchased via dealer?

Thanks,
Ajay
Old 7th April 2016, 09:43   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Guys, my insurance policy was delivered yesterday. Insurance is done with ICICI Lombard. I had opted for Zero depreciation and bumper to bumper coverage. While the policy details mention zero depreciation, bumper to bumper is not mentioned anywhere.

Is this a cause for concern? I had purchased the policy via the dealer. Is it that bumper to bumper is by default, when purchased via dealer?

Thanks,
Ajay
Nothing to worry here Ajay, zero depreciation is nothing but bumper to bumper. No insurance certificate will have it mentioned as Bumper to Bumper. If there is a row saying Zero Depreciation and an amount of approx 5K is been paid then it is a bumper to bumper insurance.

And it is not default when purchased from dealer, usually for new vehicles people opt for bumper to bumper, hence dealer recommends it. Also since the premium is high they will get more commission.
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 10:23   #1237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
zero depreciation is nothing but bumper to bumper.
Ditto. Read this - https://www.bankbazaar.com/insurance...insurance.html

This is slightly off topic, but...

Quote:
What Is Zero Depreciation Car Insurance Cover?
Zero depreciation is an additional benefit (add-on) that every car owner can enjoy at the cost of paying an extra/higher premium. Zero depreciation is usually not included in the standard/comprehensive no-frills insurance policy.

At the time of insurance claims, every insurance company always calculates and applies the depreciation rate to decide the amount payable (with reference to the damaged part of the car) for settling the claim. The difference in cost between the market price of the new part and depreciated part needs to be shelled out by the insured/car owner.

With zero depreciation add-on, when you file an insurance claim due to damage/loss to your car, the insurer covers the entire cost without accounting for/counting in the vehicle’s depreciation. Zero deprecation is an attractive prospect for customers who want a smooth claim settlement in the future, along with peace of mind. For a brand new car, buying this add-on is definitely a worthwhile investment as long as paying the additional premium doesn’t burn a hole in the owner’s pocket.
abirnale is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:16   #1238
BHPian

Hey folks:

Unsure if any of you guys have updated yet to the new vehicle software(version 6) on the NewAge XUV 500- yesterday, I happened to notice that the infotainment screen gives a very dull whitish glow when you unlock the car(even before you press Start-stop or crank the engine). A similar phenomenon has been observed whilst shutting down the car- the dull whitish glow tends to remain for circa 1-2 seconds prior to complete shut-out.

I called up the Service Advisor who stated hat some customers did inform this and cannot classify this as an 'issue'- however, assured that he would keep me in the loop should he gets to hear anything on this front.

Has anyone experienced this as well? Alternatively, please let me know if this exists in the newly manufactured cars which came pre-installed with this vehicle software.

On a related note, apparently the Navigation update (which I was alluding to earlier) still doesn't get to show the 'current time' - the Service Advisor states an update to this effect is expected next week- it only works in the newly manufactured vehicles just like how the TPMS did.

Last edited by jacobvarughese : 7th April 2016 at 11:34. Reason: Other information
Old 7th April 2016, 12:24   #1239
BHPian

First few days' driving impressions:
I am posting this here although I am an AT owner, since this seems to be the more happening thread.
Mods please move this to the AT thread if appropriate.

Impressions:

So far there are no unusual sounds or behaviours to note. The car seems pretty well put together and there is no body noise at all, not even the infamous 2nd row seat rattle. Mahindra was probably paying attention.

The level of dealer/manufacturer engagement is unusual. When I took delivery, a small screw fell out of the steering wheel cowling, and they were unable to fix it on the spot. Yesterday they sent a mechanic to my home to fix the issue. This is unprecedented after sales behaviour that I have never heard of except for much more expensive imports.

They also sent an executive to do a "home installation" type thing where he explained all the myriad features of the car. This again is a welcome initiative. As my brother-in-law said, this car has many of the features one might expect from an S-Class, so there is a lot to learn.

The drive is extremely comfortable. The power seat makes adjusting on the fly a breeze. Just wish they had power lumbar support too. Adjusting that knob is a pain.

I also bought the premium side step as an accessory, and it looks pretty good on the car. I do not feel the need to go aftermarket looks wise. THe step is also very sturdy. Since my work style is concrete to car to mud to car unlike some techie owners here (looking at you, jacobvarughese), keeping the floors clean is a real concern, and the step gets a real workout when I get in the car from my office. It feels very sturdy, typical Mahindra. Seems like it was a very good buy.

This is my first SUV. My previous cars were a Swift (sold), a Vento 1.6 TDi HL in Shadow Blue (sold) that I absolutely loved and a Polo GT TSI that we absolutely enjoy.

Driving the XUV feels like sitting on a hill looking down at passers-by. The other day I passed a Vento and it looked so small.

Handling is good, considering the absolute size of the car. Nowhere near like a sedan but it encourages you to take tight corners and does so with aplomb. The Apollo tyres are pretty much OK is all I can say about them.

Take-off is slow compared to the little rocket and I am sometimes left wondering if we are moving at all. But then this is a huge car compared to the TSI and nothing on the road matches the little Polo's acceleration. The engine howl even at stock is addictive.

Now I can rightfully claim that I have four monsters in the family, including the two kids.

One minor concern (?) is a slight judder when the car starts moving. It feels slightly underpowered at first but the picks up speed pretty smartly. Considering I have done only 500km in the past 5 days and I am taking it easy till I hit 1k, I think this might settle out as the 'box learns my style. Otherwise no complaints.

Cabin insulation is very good. I can only hear a low burble from the engine in normal running, which rises to a low growl when I accelerate. There is almost no engine noise to be heard at idle. Outside noise penetrates very poorly, leaving you feeling like you are spending a quiet evening in a good restaurant. That is good too.

Fit and finish are decent but nowhere near VW standards. The plastics feel a little tacky and the panels have unfinished edges and there are a few sharp edges here and there. I seriously wonder why our Indian manufacturers are not bothered to clean up the flash on the moulded plastic parts. Is it that they do not care? Also, the other day, I was surprised to see that one of the little plastic doodads on the left lower corner of the windshield had come undone. I was able to put it back in by pressing on the clips, but still... Little niggles that should not happen.

All things considered, I think this is a great car that could be better, especially with regard to the finer details like fit and finish and plastic quality.

We have not had time to go out on a long drive yet, but will do so ASAP, and report here.

The family however (including a 6-year old and a one-year old) are happy in the back seat. No puking so far, which means the ride must not be too bad.

Driving this thing is a pleasure.

On a related note, this is the HUD I purchased off eBay. Ordered on 23rd March and reached my by 2nd April, which is pretty fast from China.

I have not been able to take the time to attach it yet. Just found the OBD port under the steering column yesterday. Is there another one anywhere else?

Begging your pardon for the slightly disjointed writing style, but I am not a very good writer, and this must be my longest ever post on TBHP.

More later.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-20160404_164706-custom.jpg  

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-20160404_164718-custom.jpg  

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-20160404165256_img_8765-custom.jpg  

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-20160404165402_img_8766-custom.jpg  

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-20160404_165421-custom.jpg  

Last edited by pillainp : 7th April 2016 at 12:52.
pillainp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 15:01   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Hey folks:

Has anyone experienced this as well? Alternatively, please let me know if this exists in the newly manufactured cars which came pre-installed with this vehicle software.

On a related note, apparently the Navigation update (which I was alluding to earlier) still doesn't get to show the 'current time' - the Service Advisor states an update to this effect is expected next week- it only works in the newly manufactured vehicles just like how the TPMS did.
I can confirm the glow in the infotainment system in my vehicle. And I see current time in my navigation system. Mine is a March 2016 manufactured W8.

Cheers,
Ajay
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 19:36   #1241
BHPian

This glow happens on my vehicle too, but only intermittently, and it happens both when locking and unlocking.

I do not think that this is a major issue, however.
pillainp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 02:52   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
That is illogical. It should only light on the side to which you are turning.

Both sides turning on irrespective of direction might pose a hazard to oncoming vehicles, especially on sharper/ faster curves.
I guess one way to look at it would be that when you're turning in in tight corners or narrow lanes, you want to have a good view of the far side as well, to avoid contact with any wall or a car parked on the side of the road, etc. Hence both lights come on.
One practical example that I can give and we can all relate to is going around in an MLCP parking lot, generally, to save space, the ramp provided is quite narrow and they give very less space to turn the vehicle. XUV being a vehicle on the larger side, having the turn light switched on on the far side will surely help me judge how much space I have to make the cut and if i need to stop to avoid contact with a wall/pillar etc. I hope you get what I'm trying to explain.
That's one logical reason I see for both side turning lights switching on whenever we turn the steering wheel
Old 16th April 2016, 07:17   #1243
BHPian

Had a quick question on the following:

1. I have purchased extended warranty, and at the time of delivery (March-end), the dealer mentioned that the extended warranty booklet would be sent to me directly by Mahindra. For those of you, who purchased extended warranty, within how many days did you get the booklet?

2. How much time does it take to get the purple membership kit/ vouchers? I keep getting emails to redeem my vouchers, but I haven't received them yet.

Cheers,
Ajay
Old 16th April 2016, 15:57   #1244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. For those of you, who purchased extended warranty, within how many days did you get the booklet?
Approximately 4-6 weeks. It's not a booklet but all printed letters, certificates. They will be shipped from your dealer. So ideally after 3-4 weeks they should have everything registered with M&M and you should be able to get your documents from there.

Quote:
2. How much time does it take to get the purple membership kit/ vouchers?
That is part of delivery. The Sales Advisor will hand over the user manual Kit along with an envelope for purple club membership and free vacation voucher with few more local shopping vouchers. Check with your SA - they must have missed it.
Old 16th April 2016, 17:16   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Approximately 4-6 weeks. It's not a booklet but all printed letters, certificates. They will be shipped from your dealer. So ideally after 3-4 weeks they should have everything registered with M&M and you should be able to get your documents from there.

That is part of delivery. The Sales Advisor will hand over the user manual Kit along with an envelope for purple club membership and free vacation voucher with few more local shopping vouchers. Check with your SA - they must have missed it.
Thanks Abirnale. I do not recollect receiving an envelope for purple club membership. Will check with the SA.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks