Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2016, 18:25   #1246
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

When we took delivery our SA told me that the Purple Club Kit was not available right away but that he would get it to me in a couple of days. But then later on, while we were taking delivery, he gave me the Kit, saying that they had managed to find one.

The Extended Warranty papers I was told would take 3-4 weeks.
pillainp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 09:45   #1247
BHPian

Hello fellow XUV enthusiasts/ owners. I'm finally back home after sailing with proper internet connectivity and will be going in for the long time pending acquisition of my very own XUV after following all the wonderful ownership threads/ travelogues.
Last week I went for test drives of the Creta and Duster which were both completed on the same day to make a fair comparison. The XUV had been tested by me last June and still remains fresh in my mind.
Will be going to the showroom today for the XUV test drive to renew the fading driving experience and will book in a day or two after consultation with you experts.
Will put forth my reasons for choosing the XUV after todays test drive.
Meanwhile fellow mates please help me choose between W8 AWD and W10 AWD and Manual/ Auto.
The AWD part is confirmed need to choose between W8 AWD A/T or W10 AWD Manual.
All the help will be very much appreciated.
XUV owners from Bombay please suggest best dealer services between G3, Infinity and NBS. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
My two cents after todays test drive will be posted this evening.
Old 24th April 2016, 15:40   #1248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
The AWD part is confirmed need to choose between W8 AWD A/T or W10 AWD Manual.
All the help will be very much appreciated.
In a city like Mumbai, I think AT should be the choice of transmission, even if you'd have to go with W8 and miss out some features. It's reasonably smooth and well mated with the engine. And trust me, the ease of an AT is UNMATCHED. After moving to the US, all I've been driving is an automatic and never did I miss the stick shift.
mohaks19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 18:40   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaks19 View Post
In a city like Mumbai, I think AT should be the choice of transmission, even if you'd have to go with W8 and miss out some features. It's reasonably smooth and well mated with the engine. And trust me, the ease of an AT is UNMATCHED. After moving to the US, all I've been driving is an automatic and never did I miss the stick shift.
Hii mohaks thanks for that bit of information. I agree for city driving AT is essential but my XUV would be mainly for out of Bombay incursions and weekend drives outside city. I have the grand I 10 for daily commute.
So am still weighing in the options wherein I personally prefer the AWD to the A/T and also the mileage difference of around 3-4 kms does count on really long distances. But am still open to all views tilting in favor of AWD however.
AWD veterans please help and advice if i'm making the right choice.
Old 24th April 2016, 19:05   #1250
BHPian

Quote:
Hii mohaks thanks for that bit of information. I agree for city driving AT is essential but my XUV would be mainly for out of Bombay incursions and weekend drives outside city. I have the grand I 10 for daily commute.
So am still weighing in the options wherein I personally prefer the AWD to the A/T and also the mileage difference of around 3-4 kms does count on really long distances. But am still open to all views tilting in favor of AWD however.
AWD veterans please help and advice if i'm making the right choice.
Doesn't the XUV AT also come with AWD? You could have both of em.

Personally, I think AWD is really helpful in tight situations (I really missed it in my Duster when I was in India) but only if you're into mild/proper off roading or frequently head up to such adventurous treks. If you're looking to drive your vehicle only on tarmac, then AT is much more useful and you won't really need AWD. Also, do note that XUV doesn't have a ladder on frame chassis so it's not really a proper off roader like say the Fortuner is. But XUV's AWD is nonetheless pretty capable and you won't have to deal with torque steer in the AWD.

Personal advice, go for the AT, much more useful than AWD. Cheers!
Old 24th April 2016, 19:21   #1251
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't the XUV AT also come with AWD? You could have both of em.

Personally, I think AWD is really helpful in tight situations (I really missed it in my Duster when I was in India) but only if you're into mild/proper off roading or frequently head up to such adventurous treks. If you're looking to drive your vehicle only on tarmac, then AT is much more useful and you won't really need AWD. Also, do note that XUV doesn't have a ladder on frame chassis so it's not really a proper off roader like say the Fortuner is. But XUV's AWD is nonetheless pretty capable and you won't have to deal with torque steer in the AWD.

Personal advice, go for the AT, much more useful than AWD. Cheers!
Hii thanks for that mohaks yup the XUV does come with both AWD and A/T. My apprehensions are as follows
- Its a new technology so will have to wait and watch how it works out for Mahindra, the AWD meanwhile is tried and tested. Have already been waiting for a while now don't want to delay further. There's no end to it then.
-The combination of both is pushing the price to beyond 21L on road Mumbai would like to be within the psychological limit of 20L though I know its just a Lakh more.
- Too many electronics for my comfort exponential chances of things going wrong.
- More fun / control driving a manual, easier for off-roading as well albeit for the mild kind.
- AWD is available in a weeks time A/T will take more than a month
Old 25th April 2016, 14:10   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
Hii thanks for that mohaks yup the XUV does come with both AWD and A/T. My apprehensions are as follows
- Its a new technology so will have to wait and watch how it works out for Mahindra, the AWD meanwhile is tried and tested. Have already been waiting for a while now don't want to delay further. There's no end to it then.
-The combination of both is pushing the price to beyond 21L on road Mumbai would like to be within the psychological limit of 20L though I know its just a Lakh more.
- Too many electronics for my comfort exponential chances of things going wrong.
- More fun / control driving a manual, easier for off-roading as well albeit for the mild kind.
- AWD is available in a weeks time A/T will take more than a month
- Regarding the first point, the gearbox I believe is developed by Aisin and has been used in other vehicles as well so it's safe to say that it's a reliable unit. And frankly, most torque converters are reliable. Reliability issues mostly crop up with dual clutch units.
- XUV FWD itself is a pretty capable machine so as I said earlier, if you're not that much into off-roading, an AWD won't make sense over the ease of an automatic.

I think you should take a test drive of the automatic variant and decide for yourself.

Best,
Mohak
Old 25th April 2016, 14:14   #1253
BHPian

Get the automatic. Period. FWD/AWD I leave to you.
But AT should be non-negotiable.
pillainp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 14:35   #1254
BHPian

Quote:
- Regarding the first point, the gearbox I believe is developed by Aisin and has been used in other vehicles as well so it's safe to say that it's a reliable unit. And frankly, most torque converters are reliable. Reliability issues mostly crop up with dual clutch units.

- XUV FWD itself is a pretty capable machine so as I said earlier, if you're not that much into off-roading, an AWD won't make sense over the ease of an automatic.

I think you should take a test drive of the automatic variant and decide for yourself.

Best,

Mohak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Get the automatic. Period. FWD/AWD I leave to you.
But AT should be non-negotiable.

I now have to also look at W 10 AWD A/T and will now also try that out and get back with my decision.

Have immediately booked an appointment for the test drive tomorrow.

What is the milage difference realistically between the AWD over the A /T. Considering 1000 kms and more drives this would also be a deciding factor assuming much larger fuel expenses.

I however am still waiting for someone to corroborate the view of AWD scoring over the A /T.

Pillainp I believe like many others that for an suv having the AWD, even if not a complete 4x4 unit is a must and I respect your point. For me personally the AWD is non-negotiable not the AT. This is just my humble opinion would have loved the combination if it would have been tested well and results known. Still keeping my options open. The milage again for long distance driving will matter as a matter of comparison.
Old 25th April 2016, 16:56   #1255
BHPian

Quote:
For me personally the AWD is non-negotiable not the AT. This is just my humble opinion would have loved the combination if it would have been tested well and results known. Still keeping my options open. The milage again for long distance driving will matter as a matter of comparison.
I wouldn't want to belabour a point, but I agree with pillainp. It is a no-brainer to get an A/T regardless of whether you drive in the city or on the highway.

I've owned an automatic Civic for the last 5 years and that was the best buying decision that I made. The traffic conditions in my city have changed beyond belief since I've got the car and the slush box keeps me sane. I'm also seeing increasingly crowded highways.

I'd gladly trade an even bigger drop in mileage for the convenience that an auto box offers. In your case, you have a big engine that masks the performance drop of a slush box. It's a no-brainer.

So do think of how things will be a few years from now. If you can afford the AWD + AT, go for it. If you can't, would you really pick something that benefits you very occasionally as compared to something that benefits you all the time? And should you really worry about a marginal drop in mileage when you are dropping 20 big ones on a vehicle? And is it that big a deal to wait for three additional weeks when you will own the car for a few years?

Your call.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 25th April 2016 at 16:59.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 05:55   #1256
BHPian

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
I wouldn't want to belabour a point, but I agree with pillainp. It is a no-brainer to get an A/T regardless of whether you drive in the city or on the highway.

I've owned an automatic Civic for the last 5 years and that was the best buying decision that I made. The traffic conditions in my city have changed beyond belief since I've got the car and the slush box keeps me sane. I'm also seeing increasingly crowded highways.

I'd gladly trade an even bigger drop in mileage for the convenience that an auto box offers. In your case, you have a big engine that masks the performance drop of a slush box. It's a no-brainer.

So do think of how things will be a few years from now. If you can afford the AWD + AT, go for it. If you can't, would you really pick something that benefits you very occasionally as compared to something that benefits you all the time? And should you really worry about a marginal drop in mileage when you are dropping 20 big ones on a vehicle? And is it that big a deal to wait for three additional weeks when you will own the car for a few years?

Your call.

Hii ranjit your opinion is well noted and I appreciate the point you're trying to make. Considering this is a weekend / occasionally used vehicle I feel manual may not be a bad option. Being my first diesel and 2 plus litre engine it's already a big jump and lots of changes in getting used to in this new vehicle. To add A T in that feels too revolutionary. I may still like to drive a manual for the sheer fun of it for a few years before I change over to the auto. The most important factor is that the autobox hasn't been extensively used/ tested even for a year. Will be doing a test drive today and take the final call then. To be honest I'm leaning towards manual W8 AWD as of now especially since the feature list on the new W8 is even closer to the W10. Only missing is sunroof and power seat adjustable unit.
Any inputs on my view will be really appreciated. Please help make the decision guys.

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 26th April 2016 at 05:56.
Old 26th April 2016, 10:00   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Hii ranjit your opinion is well noted and I appreciate the point you're trying to make. Considering this is a weekend / occasionally used vehicle I feel manual may not be a bad option. Being my first diesel and 2 plus litre engine it's already a big jump and lots of changes in getting used to in this new vehicle. To add A T in that feels too revolutionary. I may still like to drive a manual for the sheer fun of it for a few years before I change over to the auto. The most important factor is that the autobox hasn't been extensively used/ tested even for a year. Will be doing a test drive today and take the final call then. To be honest I'm leaning towards manual W8 AWD as of now especially since the feature list on the new W8 is even closer to the W10. Only missing is sunroof and power seat adjustable unit.
Any inputs on my view will be really appreciated. Please help make the decision guys.
I've also booked the W8 AT and taking delivery by this Friday.

In your case it looks like you've already decided on the AWD and not the AT,then why repeatedly ask for guidance on your decision ? Many of them have suggested for the AT and you are leaning towards the FWD. Its your call mate and decide accordingly.

Whether off roading or highways, probably AT is better keeping in view of higher traffic in the days to come.

Cheers
mjkaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 10:27   #1258
BHPian

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
I've also booked the W8 AT and taking delivery by this Friday.

In your case it looks like you've already decided on the AWD and not the AT,then why repeatedly ask for guidance on your decision ? Many of them have suggested for the AT and you are leaning towards the FWD. Its your call mate and decide accordingly.

Whether off roading or highways, probably AT is better keeping in view of higher traffic in the days to come.

Firstly congratulations on your cheetah. I have not really made my decision and you have got me all wrong. This is a forum for guidance and getting all the points of view is my prerogative. All I wanted to know are the compelling reasons if any to go in for the AT. I respect everyone's opinion and as a healthy debate the reasons for my answer. The choice also is for AWD only or awd + AT.
The difference of 3 lakhs on road is the reason I want to ascertain the same.

Cheers

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th April 2016 at 17:41. Reason: Correcting typo :)
Old 26th April 2016, 14:26   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
All I wanted to know are the compelling reasons if any to go in for the AT.
Hi Vinit,

Let me give my perspective:

I recently purchased (March 2016) a W8 AWD but in manual transmission. While I am not an off-roader perse, I do keep my cars for a very long time, and wanted to buy an SUV with this option, so that incase I have to use AWD, my vehicle has it.

I did not go for AT because:

1. I did not plan to drive it in the city
2. Did not want to spend so much- the current amount spent still gives me goosebumps
3. My son does not have school bus facility- he gets dropped by a driver. Do I care if the driver drives an MT or AT

Now the reality is that I am driving the XUV daily to office- to beat the heat (I used to use my bike or the volvo), and more importantly to get to the 5K mark as fast as possible. Also my family feels that it is better not to give the new XUV to a driver (I have a 11 year old swift that I am retaining for my son's school drop).

There are times that I have to crawl for considerable distances, and i wonder- What if I had the AT? Even on long drives, there are situations when AT could have been useful for me- I drove to Goa @ March end, and AT would have been useful in the city, and while trying to enter and exit the flea market at Anjuna (if Bangaloreans think Silk board traffic is bad, try driving at Baga/ Anujna on weekends!).

I am not facing any issues like knee aching or whatever- not sure if I am plain lucky, or it is a function of my height/ seat adjustment, but given my city usage, I do wonder about AT option at times. Frankly, after a month of usage (yes it is just a month), it looks like I will driving in city more often than I will be going off-roading!

Now, on the other hand, I graduated from riding a gearless scooter to a geared bike (Avenger with its horrible gear system). Frankly, the pain of using gears (in traffic) is over-ridden by additional comfort a bike provides (as compared to a scooter).

Do you have the option of taking long test-drives? Perhaps you could test drive both for a reasonably long stretch in peak traffic conditions and decide what works best for you?

Cheers

Last edited by ajayclicks : 26th April 2016 at 14:28.
ajayclicks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 15:40   #1260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Hi Vinit,

Let me give my perspective:

I recently purchased (March 2016) a W8 AWD but in manual transmission. While I am not an off-roader perse, I do keep my cars for a very long time, and wanted to buy an SUV with this option, so that incase I have to use AWD, my vehicle has it.

I did not go for AT because:

1. I did not plan to drive it in the city
2. Did not want to spend so much- the current amount spent still gives me goosebumps
3. My son does not have school bus facility- he gets dropped by a driver. Do I care if the driver drives an MT or AT

Do you have the option of taking long test-drives? Perhaps you could test drive both for a reasonably long stretch in peak traffic conditions and decide what works best for you?

Cheers
Hii ajay thanks for your views. I totally agree with you on the first few points regarding the choice for the manual variant. In addition I feel the new gearbox on the xuv hasn't been extensively tested over say a 6 month period. I will be choosing between reliability of the manual and convenience of the A T.
I had test driven the pre facelift xuv and did a 100 kms driving through zoom car to get a feel for the vehicle. I will be testing the A T today evening albeit a short one.
After a month with the manual would you consider choosing the A T if given the choice or is it just a passing thought
Keep revving!
Cheers

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 26th April 2016 at 15:41. Reason: Quote length

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks