Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2016, 16:48   #1141

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Any idea if all these dealers receive the same training to install accessories? It does sound strange to me that a dealer can't install their own official accessory
Hi,
I don't think you need any extra training to install HUD. I recently installed HUD myself on my Nov XUV500 W10 purchase. It is pretty straight forward with Plug and Play as cable connects directly to OBD socket below steering. I had ordered HUD from one of the portals and if you check online there is a plethora of good HUDs. One of the grievance I had with XUV is that they did not provide proper clock and having migrated from SX4 I sourly missed this feature. But with this particular HUD installation I now have Clock and Speed displayed at all times. And yes installation is DIY. Meanwhile, when I took my XUV for first service last weekend, folks in workshop were curious to know what this device does not to mention they would have had no idea on the installation part if I had gone to them.
anishr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 17:01   #1142
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Recently windscreen of my new age XUV (Oct 2015) was damaged by a small stray stone while driving on road. It came like bullet from tyre of truck and created a star mark of size approx. 0.5 inch. I ignored it however after few days suddenly one day morning I saw approx. 10 inch curved crack. You can’t feel the crack from inside and outside using fingers. Now crack is increasing every day at least 1 inch and already crossed RIFD sticker (See snaps). Need your urgent advice on following:

1. How do I stop crack from spreading further?
2. It is safe to drive the vehicle with cracked windscreen though it is not hindering driver’s view.
3. What is the approx. cost of Windscreen replacement for W8? Is it covered under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-crack.jpg  

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-crack2.jpg  

Old 21st March 2016, 18:54   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anishr View Post
Hi,
I don't think you need any extra training to install HUD. I recently installed HUD myself on my Nov XUV500 W10 purchase. It is pretty straight forward with Plug and Play as cable connects directly to OBD socket below steering. I had ordered HUD from one of the portals and if you check online there is a plethora of good HUDs. One of the grievance I had with XUV is that they did not provide proper clock and having migrated from SX4 I sourly missed this feature. But with this particular HUD installation I now have Clock and Speed displayed at all times. And yes installation is DIY. Meanwhile, when I took my XUV for first service last weekend, folks in workshop were curious to know what this device does not to mention they would have had no idea on the installation part if I had gone to them.
Thanks much anish. Request you to please state any of the 'good HUD' units you are alluding to as I have a July 2015 W10. I concur wholeheartedly with you when you say the clock is sorely missed- one needs to press the Home button back and forth just to see the time.

Btw happy munching miles !!!
Old 21st March 2016, 23:31   #1144
BHPian

I test drove two different XUVs and found the high beams not properly focused. Even in their lowest position, the beams were not falling on the road, they were going parallel to the road and even lit up the tree tops on the road side. High beams' throw is an important reason for considering XUV and I was disappointed. Whereas in case of other SUVs I drove (Fortuner and Safari Storme), the high beams were perfectly angled down to the road and they lit up the road nicely.

Are others facing the issue? I thought it could be an one-off problem with the test drive vehicle, but found the same problem in another XUV with another dealership. Can the high beams be focused to correct their throw? I asked the sales guy to check with the service advisor and call me back, but no response.

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 21st March 2016 at 23:53.
Old 22nd March 2016, 00:16   #1145
BHPian

Hello everyone,

My family took delivery of XUV500 today in the evening from Automotive Manufactures Pvt.Ltd located in Nagole, LB Nagar, Hyderabad. I am indebted to this forum and its members for the wealth of information I got from here after researching for 1 year. I won't be able to drive this vehicle at all as I'm not in India, so will be able to write an initial ownership report based on inputs from my Dad. Coming back to the deal,

Ex-Showroom : 14,68,574
Life tax : 2,05,860
Insurance : 39,180
Accessories : Side Steps - 12k; Rear Guard - 4k
Planned for future : Chrome Kit, Rain visors

Deal from Dealer:
Omni (2009 model) : 1,30,000
Exchange Bonus : 15,000
Corporate Discount : 8,000
No charges for using Credit Card - brought down from 2% to 0% after escalation. Saved 10k through this.
Also, this was a pre-price hike and pre-tax hike vehicle so we saved closed to 1.1Lakh by taking it in March.

Final OTR : 17,29,614
OTR after deals & discounts : 15,76,614

P.S. - Special thanks to Mr.Anurag Shenoy for helping my brother out with PDI. Without his help we would not got to know issues with Quality Control at M&M.

Posting pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20301.jpg  

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20311.jpg  

Last edited by rohit.joshi : 22nd March 2016 at 00:19.
rohit.joshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 16:52   #1146
BANNED

Had scheduled the PDI and reached the showroom at 16:10. Without wasting any time, went for the PDI of the beast. Overall it took me 1.5 hours to complete the PDI.

Odometer at PDI: 88 kms. I drove it for 2 kms and brought it to 90 kms which was the odometer during delivery too.

Battery: Amaron make - MFD: 17.12.15

Tyres: Bridgestone Dueller - '5115' - which means the tyres were manufactured between 13 to 19th Dec'15. This is the first thing I had checked on the car before anything else. I was wary of getting Apollo's or JK's. I did ask the SA if there is any chance to have this noted during booking and get them fit during car assembly rather than waiting in suspense till one sees the car. To which he replied:

JK Tyres: Only for W4 variant;
Bridgestone / Apollo: W6, W8 and W10. It is mostly Bridgestone in W8 and W10.

One thing I found peculiar when I was checking the DOT was the right side two tyres has '104H' (Load and Speed Rating) whereas the left two tyres had 5115 -- the DOT code. Picture below:

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20160320_001925.jpg

There is still a lot that Mahindra has to learn on front of QC and fitting the panels correctly in-line. As usual:

1) Upper glove box lid wasn't sitting flush;

2) Front right side door panel gap was increasing from top-to-bottom. Nothing alarming though but felt ugly for a 18L car (Pic below).

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20160319_180214.jpg

3) Boot lid plastic panel improperly fit with gap seen on both ends (Pic below).

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20160319_172531horz.jpg

4) Surface rust observed only on right side discs (Pic below). It did go after the drive:

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20160319_172031.jpg

After all the checks, did go for a short drive to check for any abnormalities. Nothing to worry so returned to the basement.

Checked the following during drive:
  • A/C
  • Acceleration
  • Electricals
  • Start/Stop system
  • Any odd sounds.

After I reached back, paired up my OnePlus One to the infotainment system and checked for songs playback. It worked flawlessly and when I switched the engine off, it went into the 'One hour mode'.

One thing I was notified by the SA was the lack of Blue Sense App that doesn't work with W8. It is configured only for W10. Same goes for reverse cam too - Only for W10. W8 gets only reverse sensors.

--- Also checked the tyretronics too - All OK.

--- Checked the engine oil - OK too.

The car was cleaned and polished ready for delivery on Monday.

Here are a few pictures of the XUV to be delivered to Mr Rohit's family:

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20160319_175614.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20160319_175608.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20160319_175642.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20160319_174240.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20160319_180012.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20160319_180228.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20160319_171719.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-img_20160319_171726.jpg

After I completed the PDI, I did meet the manager there and have a small chat with him in general.

My first question to him was are there any plans of M&M plonking the 1.99L engine Pan India that is currently doing duty in Delhi & NCR. He said : No such information till now and mostly it will not happen any time soon.".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit.joshi View Post
P.S. - Special thanks to Mr. Anurag Shenoy for helping my brother out with PDI. Without his help we would not got to know issues with Quality Control at M&M.
Thank you for giving me a chance to do the PDI.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:50   #1147

Quote:
Thanks much anish. Request you to please state any of the 'good HUD' units you are alluding to as I have a July 2015 W10. I concur wholeheartedly with you when you say the clock is sorely missed- one needs to press the Home button back and forth just to see the time.

Btw happy munching miles !!!
Hi Jacob,
If you are looking at clock display to be one of the primary features of HUD then the only HUD available in market today with this feature is Echoman EM05. I bought this too. You can purchase it from Aliexpress as its not available in India.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...432642733.html

If clock is not the primary criteria then there are a couple of good HUDs available in Amazon and other sites. You can decide based on features and cost.
anishr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 18:09   #1148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
1) Upper glove box lid wasn't sitting flush;
3) Boot lid plastic panel improperly fit with gap seen on both ends (Pic below).
This is typical Mahindra. The top glove box fitment is an issue with my car as well. But with alignment/ re-fitment of the cover, it should be just fine.

On the other hand,, you can't do much about the plastic panels with gaps. Hope there is no loosens of those panels else they will start rattling sooner.

Quote:
when I switched the engine off, it went into the 'One hour mode'.
Missed the part - the model Rohit bought is W8 or W10? Must be W8 because there is no such thing as one hour mode in W10! Or we have new software upgrade that brings this mode back?

What was the software version you noted?

EDIT
Browsed a page backwards. It says W8. so above question is invalid now

Last edited by abirnale : 22nd March 2016 at 18:11.
Old 22nd March 2016, 18:35   #1149
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
But with alignment/ re-fitment of the cover, it should be just fine.
I checked the 8 cars in the showroom and all had that in common. Felt like giving that manager a piece of mind to learn how to fit panels. But that guy was sales head, has he been the service guy, I wouldn't have stopped myself. My Swift has better fit and finish of panels.

PS: Would MASS do the realignment on request?

Quote:
On the other hand,, you can't do much about the plastic panels with gaps. Hope there is no loosens of those panels else they will start rattling sooner.
Not loose though. But feels silly overall.

Quote:
Must be W8 because there is no such thing as one hour mode in W10!
Argh! I thought the 'top-model' means it has "everything" for the price it asks. Any way this "one hour mode" can be done in W10?

Quote:
What was the software version you noted?
Missed it. Apologies. Shall try and get out from Rohit.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:06   #1150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
PS: Would MASS do the realignment on request?
Argh! I thought the 'top-model' means it has "everything" for the price it asks. Any way this "one hour mode" can be done in W10?
Missed it. Apologies. Shall try and get out from Rohit.
Request? Hell no. Just demand

Nope, W10 - no one-hour mode possible unless they come up with some sort of magical software upgrades beyond just fixing their infotainment niggles! But I am sure they will do some day.

Bhai, no sorry no thank you Jokes apart but what you helped Rohit with is incredible help. And whatever niggles get listed, this beast never fails to please you the moment you get behind the wheels!
Old 22nd March 2016, 23:17   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for giving me a chance to do the PDI.
Bhai, without you I couldn't even imagine my dad/brother be able to spotting those irregularities and also finding other issues as well(though there weren't any). I thank you once again for your help. Will need your help going forward as well.

Regards,
Rohit
rohit.joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 07:37   #1152
BANNED

Quote:
And whatever niggles get listed, this beast never fails to please you the moment you get behind the wheels!
This is the very reason I have fallen for this beast. Post this facelift was revealed + Team-BHP official review went live and a TD in this car, made me completely fall for it.

Initial I was only a Maruti customer and was fixed on the S-Cross 1.6L Alpha but their pricing fiasco put me off and the ever-doubtful behavior + "made to order" 1.6L engine, the S-Cross isn't giving me the required confidence to put in 1+ million bucks on it. The car is a gem but overall when I compare it to my Swift, other than the engine there isn't much of an upgrade. Interiors are similar too. Hence the jump from Maruti to Mahindra. One 'M' to another 'M'.

I know the XUV isn't niggle-free but looking at Mahindra's overall response to complaints, I can survive happily. I have gone through the Niggles threads too.

Just counting the days to lay hands on mine, 6 to 7 months mostly.

Last edited by a4anurag : 23rd March 2016 at 07:40.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 10:38   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
This is the very reason I have fallen for this beast. Post this facelift was revealed + Team-BHP official review went live and a TD in this car, made me completely fall for it.

Initial I was only a Maruti customer and was fixed on the S-Cross 1.6L Alpha but their pricing fiasco put me off and the ever-doubtful behavior + "made to order" 1.6L engine, the S-Cross isn't giving me the required confidence to put in 1+ million bucks on it. The car is a gem but overall when I compare it to my Swift, other than the engine there isn't much of an upgrade. Interiors are similar too. Hence the jump from Maruti to Mahindra. One 'M' to another 'M'.

I know the XUV isn't niggle-free but looking at Mahindra's overall response to complaints, I can survive happily. I have gone through the Niggles threads too.

Just counting the days to lay hands on mine, 6 to 7 months mostly.
You're absolutely spot-on when you say Mahindra's meticulous and prompt response to complaint resolution is incredibly impressive. I have had 'niggles' on my W10 (purchased in July), and they were proactive to resolve these.
I particularly remember one instance when I was returning from Bangalore to Trivandrum ( on a late Sunday !!!) and the blower conked off at the outskirts of Trivandrum- the technical team immediately was dispatched (they requested me to dine locally, if possible) to resolve this who suggested to take my vehicle next day morning.
There are yet some pending items like the Infotainment system which does freeze occasionally (I don't touch it for around 40-50 seconds when that happens) and self-heals itself.

Overall, my transition from a BMW 320d to the XUV has been an optimal experience- just wished they had the 'automatic transmission' when I purchased mine !
jacobvarughese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 14:26   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesht_ripps View Post
3. What is the approx. cost of Windscreen replacement for W8? Is it covered under warranty.
This is not a manufacturing defect hence not covered under warranty. You can claim insurance for it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Are others facing the issue? I thought it could be an one-off problem with the test drive vehicle, but found the same problem in another XUV with another dealership. Can the high beams be focused to correct their throw? I asked the sales guy to check with the service advisor and call me back, but no response.
I kind of have similar issue on my car as well. Since havnt done too many night drives, its been a non issue. It is adjustable and I plan to get it done during my 2nd service.

Quote:

4) Surface rust observed only on right side discs (Pic below). It did go after the drive:

One thing I was notified by the SA was the lack of Blue Sense App that doesn't work with W8. It is configured only for W10. Same goes for reverse cam too - Only for W10. W8 gets only reverse sensors.
Rust on discs is very common and seen on all cars and brands. It goes away moment you brake. Its not exclusive to XUV.

I am surprised that Blue Sense app doesnt work on W8 since it shares same HU with W10. I have the prev gen W8 and it works fine.

Quote:
Overall, my transition from a BMW 320d to the XUV has been an optimal experience- just wished they had the 'automatic transmission' when I purchased mine !
Just curious, how did you end up technically down grading from a beamer to mahindra , though i am sure its an upgrade in terms of space and ride.
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:26   #1155
BHPian

To answer your query, the beemer was pinching me financially as a result of my futile due diligence conducted- it was a 2010 BMW Corporate edition. I had the vehicle for less than a year to be precise, purchased from Mahindra First Choice (was an ordeal indeed).

Upgrade to an XUV was gratifying in relation to many aspects barring the 'badge' and 'automatic transmission'- I scouted several initial ownership threads and this particular thread was hugely beneficial. Re: the ride on the Beemer, I personally loved the 'Sports Mode' on the Beemer which could leverage it's features to the most.

Most Viewed