Team-BHP - 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/165016-2015-mahindra-xuv500-facelift-official-review.html)

The 2015 Mahindra XUV500 has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 11.21 - 15.99 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you’ll like:

• A well-engineered, contemporary SUV with a value-for-money price tag
• More mature styling. Front end no longer looks garish
• Acres of space on the 1st & 2nd seat rows
• Competent engine delivers fantastic urban driveability, as well as fast highway performance
• Balanced ride & handling package
• Safety kit includes 6 airbags, ESP with rollover mitigation, ABS + EBD and all-wheel disc brakes
• Expansive feature list (sunroof, touchscreen ICE, powered driver's seat, cruise control etc.)

What you won’t:

• Absolutely no luggage capacity with all the seats in place
• Cramped 3rd seat row is best suited to children only. A sliding middle row is sorely missed
• Interior quality, although better, still has a lot of scope for improvement
• Clutch is lighter now, but has a long travel range & high resting point. Gets cumbersome in traffic
• Niggles & issues, as reported by existing XUV500 owners
• Mahindra's inconsistent sales & service experiences

The Diesel Automatic:

Link to Review

The Petrol Automatic:

Link to Review

This review has been jointly compiled with SDP. Thanks to him for the expert observations & comments!

Since the Mahindra XUV500 has already been reviewed by Team-BHP, this report will only focus on changes made to the 2015 car. For easy reference, here are direct links to the complete XUV500 road-test:

Exterior design & build quality

Interior design, space, practicality & features

Engine, ride & handling

Next to the older version (Tuscan red belongs to SDP), the XUV500 facelift looks more mature:

Notice how the flared bonnet edges make the facelift's nose look taller:

Takes a keen eye to spot the differences at the back:

The Mahindra XUV500 was developed to fill a void in the 10-20 lakh SUV segment back in 2011. It was a daring move for an Indian auto maker to enter a price bracket where buyers start yearning for the prestige of a premium brand. The car was a runaway success; Mahindra sold 50,000 units of the XUV500 within 16 months of its launch! In fact, without any significant updates in the 4 years since, Mahindra still sells about 3,000 copies each month. No car priced above a million rupees has ever managed these volumes before.

Mahindra has finally given their first monocoque SUV a facelift. The 2015 XUV500 comes with a new variant, a new face, more features and a handful of upgrades & tweaks.

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-mahindra-xuv500-specifications-price.png

So, what's new on the outside?

The Cheetah's face is now cleaner, while the old one was meaner. The 2015 XUV500 has broader appeal:

Vehicle dimensions are the exact same as before. Despite its monocoque construction, the XUV500 has a fat kerb weight = 1,860 kg (W8) & 1,785 kg (W6):

The 'Mahindra' and 'XUV500' badges have moved up, as the variant badge is placed at the back (earlier on the front fender):

New colour options include pearl white (replaces satin white) and sunset orange (check it out here). Old Arctic blue shade dropped:

New headlamps with reworked internals and LED pilot lamps (i.e. first position on the indicator stalk). These aren't DRLs:

XUV500 embossed plate inside the headlamp cluster:

The headlamp & foglamp come together to form the number "7". Notice the clear-lens indicator light:

Foglamps move higher up and subsequently provide much better throw. Excessive chrome looks tacky:

New front grille is in line with the headlamps and features thin black slits + chrome inserts. So much better than the earlier grille:

As expected, this silver skid plate is just for show. Even so, it's barely visible:

Yes, it's that easy to pull the skid plate off the black plastic molding!

Bonnet loses the muscular lines in the middle. Existing owners may not like that. The bonnet now gets beefed up edges; SDP commented that it can hamper judgement in tight traffic conditions:

Electrically-folding ORVMs have been tweaked and get new lights that project the logo:

Super cool! Here's how the logo projection looks at night:

Paw-style door handles have been tweaked as well. You get request buttons (and keyholes) on both front doors. No need to take the key out to get in or start the XUV500:

17'' alloy wheels now feature a 10-spoke pattern. Tyres are still the same Bridgestone Duelers that are prone to road noise, irrespective of the speed or surface:

Chromed window underlining:

Sunroof with anti-pinch is one of the niceties debuting on the new W10 variant:

Tail-light is the same as before, except for a small change...

...the clear portion no longer has the tribal motif (link to older version):

Still there at the top though:

Larger tail-gate strip gets a lot of chrome. Looks cheesy:

Rear view camera is well-integrated below:

Sadly, the spare is a steel wheel. Mahindra used to offer a 5th alloy wheel before:

So, what's new on the inside?

The dashboard features the new black-beige interior theme that imparts a better ambience to the cabin. Notice how the gloss wood finish above the centre console has been dropped. Goodbye distracting reflection!

Subtle colour tones / combinations improve the feel inside:

Steering wheel feels great to hold:

New icy blue backlighting looks funky with the twin-pod instrument cluster:

Driver information system displays limited data. It shows you the gear currently engaged, the odometer and two trip meters, apart from the digital fuel gauge. At least the average fuel economy & DTE counter should have been mirrored here (they are displayed on the centre screen):

Cowl above the instrument cluster is now integrated onto the dashboard and doesn't rattle anymore:

Aluminium A-B-C pedals are new:

You can feel the steering rack rolling against your left foot when you turn the wheel & have the clutch pedal pressed:

Beige seats clad in a combination of leather, fabric and vinyl on the W8 & W10 variants:

6-way power adjustable driver's seat:

A plastic cap covers the section where the lower variants have their ignition console:

Door grab bar is now finished in dull grey (was earlier glossy):

Driver's power window gets auto up / down with the anti-pinch feature:

Icy blue lounge lighting for the door handle too:

Illuminated scuff plates:

Silver strips that line the centre console get a dull finish as well:

A small rubber tray inside the dashboard's storage area (as opposed to felt lining on the older car). USB port to load maps has been removed:

Cowl now extends over the infotainment display to reduce glare:

USB & AUX ports move up near the volume control. W8 & W10 variants don't get a CD player:

Felt-lined storage cubicle at the bottom of the centre console has gotten smaller...

...because of the new engine start button! Only works if the clutch is pressed all the way down:

Gear knob is finished in black. It's still notchy to use and struggles to engage 1st or reverse gears at times:

You get a sunglass holder, but no conversation mirror on the W10 (& W4 base). W10 drops it to make room for the sunroof controls:

The lounge lighting looks nice, but it does have a tendency to randomly flicker. Bluetooth mic sits above the sunroof controls:

Sunroof is adequately sized:

The anti-pinch needs to be more sensitive. The sunroof went a lot further than this before it retracted. Don't try this at home (especially with your finger :)):

Passenger-side vanity mirror gets no light at all! Earlier XUV500 had automatic illumination here (light would come on when you'd slide the cover):

Interior quality has gotten better, although there's still a lot of room for improvement:

Too many textures for my liking:

Smart key has been tastefully styled:

The smart key sensor has abandonment issues. Even if you're an inch away from the doors with the engine running, this warning comes up:

The infotainment system's remote control gets black buttons. Preferred over the old dual-tone unit:

Second row of seats can fit three with ease:

Three cabin lights for the second row, but no lights for the third row anymore:

No sliding function for the second row. They split 60:40, and only the smaller seat flips forward for access to the last row:

Third row passengers get well-cushioned seats, 3-point seatbelts and adjustable headrests. The legroom and headroom however, are no good for adults. Sliding second row seats would have helped the XUV500's credentials as a 7 seater:

With all seats up, luggage space is laughable. That's one laptop bag clinging on for dear life at the very edge of the car!

Here's the complete tool kit:

Cap covering the spare tyre lowering mechanism has to be opened with a coin. You used to get a tool for it earlier, but some owners said it would leave scratches on the plastic:

Mahindra's Blue Sense App

The Smartphone App has been updated and is very easy to use. Here's the aforementioned tiretronics display with the tyre pressure, both actual and recommended. Would be nice if manufacturers started including the spare tyre's pressure too:

Fuel statistics:

Status of functions like the auto lights & wipers:

You can control the entire media system through this app and it's very responsive!

The climate control can now be managed through this app. Major boon for chauffeur-driven owners:

You can activate & deactivate alerts:

Owners can set reminders too:

Personal information can be stored. Could help Mahindra and its dealers with operations & promotions:

The Infotainment System

The ICE interface has been updated since our original review. This is the homescreen:

You get a plethora of media options to select from:

The default wallpaper continues with the new icy blue theme. Observe how the outside & cabin temperatures are shown via a simple outline of the car (bottom left):

USB port reads pen drives really quickly. You can fast forward by running your finger along the progress bar:

Adjustment options for the sound system. Get the settings right and you'll find the audio quality to be acceptable:

USB video quality is great. It will stop playing the video once you cross 10 km/h, albeit audio playback continues:

You also get a photo viewer:

The phone interface is easy to operate. You can also use voice commands to dial a name from your contact list. It will recognize Indian names. Like most voice command systems though, it takes some time to get the accent / tone right:

SMS readout will prompt you with this screen, each time you receive a new text message:

Reversing camera resolution is ordinary and there's a lag of about 1 second. You get dynamic grid lines, and hitting the zoom button shows you the rear bumper. The parking sensors detect an object up to 120 cms away. Additionally, you get angled park and parallel park assist, but I preferred using just the grid lines:

Navigation by MapmyIndia. Type in your destination and you'll see multiple suggestions. Easy to use, although the system suffers from lag:

The software was accurate in my experience:

Adjusting the climate control or volume brings up a sub-menu on the navigation screen. It doesn't overlap the entire screen like it did in the old XUV500:

You can only access this data from the infotainment screen. The fuel info tab shows you the average fuel economy and distance to empty counter:

Tiretronics didn't show the tyre temperature or pressure like it did in the Scorpio! Oddly enough, when accessed through the Mahindra Blue Sense app, we got to see the actual tyre pressure:

Audible warnings if a door is ajar, the driver isn't wearing his seatbelt etc. The voice warning (such as "do wear your seatbelt for a safe drive") will come up twice, along with this prompt on the screen. You can't miss it...stays on for ~10 seconds:

Given that this is only a facelift, don't expect any major mechanical changes. Under the bonnet, you get the same 2.2L, mHawk diesel engine that makes 140 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and 330 Nm of torque @ 1,600-2,800 rpm. However, Mahindra has made a few tweaks to improve driveability. The suspension has been optimized as well and you get an updated electronic stability program (ESP 9). The W10 further gets brake energy regeneration, while the ARAI fuel economy goes up from 15.1 to 16 km/l. A reminder that this was the first Mahindra SUV with a transverse (east-west) layout engine, typical of most front wheel drive cars.

Like any big diesel, the mHawk has excellent torque delivery. Sure, the XUV500 is a proven highway cruiser, but even in the city, the torque delivery is simply effortless. The engine idles at 900 rpm and anything above that is enough to putter about in urban traffic. That 330 Nm of torque is delivered at a lowly 1,600 rpm. When the turbo spools, progress is linear and you aren't pushed back into your seat. The engine has been well calibrated and thankfully, it isn't one of those oil burners that feel lethargic before the forced induction boost. Turbo-lag is brilliantly controlled and the engine exhibits an immensely tractable nature at regular speeds.

There is a nice, strong tug from the engine past 1,800 rpm and it stays right till the redline. Power delivery is progressive in nature, and there is no sudden whoosh at any point. The engine is free revving by diesel standards, and spins clean all the way to 4,200 rpm. Keep the pedal grounded and it will touch 4,800 rpm, but the motor feels very strained at that level. Best for you to work the torque and up-shift no later than 4,000 rpm, even when in a hurry. In a pedal to the metal style of driving, you will hear wheel spin when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Watch out for torque steer from the front wheels though, especially when you are overtaking, or in the middle of a corner. Torque steer is easy to replicate and will take getting used to.

The 140 horses make the XUV500 an able expressway SUV. Open road performance is competent; overtaking is handled without a problem and the XUV500 can easily travel at 3 digit speeds all day long. Importantly, the tall 6th gear brings calm long-distance cruising & increases tank range too. The inclusion of cruise control aids the XUV's highway credentials. It engages at a minimum speed of 40 km/h; you can increase the speed to no more than 100 km/h using the steering controls. Keeping Indian conditions in mind, 100 km/h is a sensible limit for the cruise control system.

SDP felt that the clutch is around 5-10% lighter than before. Indeed, the pedal is light enough to operate within the city. That said, the pedal's resting point is high and its travel range is long. In heavy / frequent usage, these ergonomic flaws can make the clutch troublesome to use continuously. Then, my shoe size is too big to make use of the dead pedal, so I'd constantly need to hover over the clutch pedal or keep my foot flat on the floor. Another issue that hasn't been resolved is the way the steering rack rubs against your left foot, when the clutch is fully depressed & you turn the steering.

The gearshift's throw is on the longer side and is quite notchy. One particular irritant is how the shifter often hesitates to slip into first or reverse gears (things are better with the other gears). You have to engage them firmly.

Refinement levels are impressive with the XUV500. It just doesn't feel like the other Mahindras (read = crude & noisy). Although you can easily tell you're driving a diesel, at no point was I bothered by the sound. NVH levels are well controlled. If you have the air conditioner on full blast, you won't even hear the little sounds that otherwise filter in. Vibrations, in particular, are kept in check. For instance, at idle, there is no shaking about of the gear-lever whatsoever. One issue that continues to plague the XUV500 is tyre noise. The stock Bridgestone Dueler 235/65 section tyres make a lot of noise, even at low speeds on smooth roads.

Thanks to its monocoque construction, the XUV500 offers a great ride & handling package. Ride quality is comfortable and has tangibly improved over the original model. The suspension helps provide a relatively roll-free and predictable drive. Having reviewed the bumpy Fortuner recently, I found the difference to be startling! The XUV's pliant ride is light years ahead of the Toyota and you don't get any of the bounciness that often throws the handling awry with SUVs of this size. The monocoque body stays flat and stable over undulations, and small speed breakers are brushed off with a minor thud. However, those on the last row of seats will experience more vertical movement, due to their seating position relative to the rear axle.

The relatively low center of gravity, monocoque construction and wide stance greatly contribute to the XUV500's handling capability. Body roll is well controlled by SUV standards and it handles corners much better than the unwieldy body-on-frame competition. In an emergency situation, the ESP could prove to be a life-saver. Straight-line stability meets the grade too. I would term the XUV500's dynamics as safe, sure-footed and predictable in behaviour. The best word to describe the steering is 'balanced'. It's light enough to make city driving easy and weighs up adequately on the highway. As mentioned earlier, beware of torque steer. The steering wheel veers to the left easily, especially while driving out of a corner or when the turbo kicks in.

The XUV500 is equipped with four disc brakes across all variants. I drove SDP's XUV500 and found the facelift's brakes to be better, although the difference was negligible (note: SDP had his brakes updated...the facelift's brakes are much superior to the 2011 XUV500). While outright stopping power is sufficient, the brake pedal itself has some dead play initially. This is mainly seen at low speeds, because there's a delay before the brakes actually bite. Definitely takes getting used to!! It was an issue that was present on the old model too. Mahindra needs to make the braking more linear / progressive / predictable. Lastly, the degree of nose dive under braking is rather high, even at not-so-high speeds.

The top-end W10 variant gets pneumatic struts for the bonnet, making it easy to lift up. Hazard lights keep flashing until the bonnet is shut:

Under-bonnet insulation muffles the engine well. NVH levels are commendable:

An Owner's Perspective

I own a XUV5OO which is about to complete 3 years at the end of this month. My experiences till date have been shared in the "Duma" thread here. I have clocked 33,000 kms on it till now and I intend to keep it for at least 1 lakh kms. I have been tracking the XUV facelift (or the New Age XUV5OO as M&M calls it) from quite some time and even saw the webcast when the facelift was launched on 25th May. I had mixed feelings from what I read and the snaps shared on the forum. I was planning to take a TD may be a few weeks/months down the line, just to get a feel of what all has changed and what all feedback from the existing owners has been incorporated. Thanks to Team-BHP, I got a chance to experience the New Age XUV up close and personal. I believe, the XUV is clearly a highway cruiser. So one fine morning, Tushar and I got into the new XUV and took the Mum-Pune expressway till the Khalapur exit and came back. Tushar was kind enough to drive down the test vehicle again the next day so that I could experiment with the "new improved" infotainment system and do a side-by-side comparison with my XUV. Here are some of my observations:

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-dsc_0017.jpg

This was the first time I was seeing the facelift in person. To be frank, I was underwhelmed at first glance. You look at the pre-facelift version and it evokes one of two extreme feelings. You either love it or you hate it. It just can not be ignored, it's that 'in your face'! The facelift, on the other hand, seemed mellowed down, possibly in an attempt to convert the haters to at least neutral. While doing so, some of the original aggressiveness of the XUV - the "cheetah in Maasai Mara" theme - which was a key differentiation for the SUV/crossover, has been lost to some extent. In a way, the cheetah looks much more mature, almost domesticated now.

Exterior changes:

Interior changes:

Changes to the infotainment system and the waterfall console:

Let's leave the white-washed (or is it beige-washed?) interiors aside for some time. The real change on the inside is the completely revamped infotainment system with the larger touchscreen display.

OK, so the New Age XUV5OO looks toned down and more mature from outside. On the inside, the new black and beige interior gives a premium feel, but the quality of the plastics and fit & finish are still similar to the pre-facelift. The infotainment system is completely new and beautiful with a bigger screen, although the designers forgot to solve some of the old design issues.

So far, so good. But how does it drive?

Driving observations:
Overall, I felt that the non-cosmetic changes (except brakes) are more evolutionary (i.e. incremental) rather than revolutionary. This was expected as the XUV5OO was already a competent package. It's not perfect (in fact, nowhere near it), but it does a lot of things damn well. The facelift builds on top of it.

Other miscellaneous points:I have mentioned somewhere on the forum that the pre-facelift XUV looks more masculine and the new one looks more feminine. I have always maintained that 'Duma' is a boy; tall, dark and handsome. So, on a lighter note, the New Age XUV is a beautiful young girl (especially in white); equally tall, fair and beautiful. The curly DRLs remind you of the fluttering eye-lids of a beautiful girl and the Hyundai-ish fluidic fog-lamps with dollops of chrome indicates that the lady loves to accessorize. Tushar came down to meet me again the next day and we decided to have some fun by doing a mini-photo shoot of the new and the old together.

Duma came to meet and greet the lady:
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-dsc_0245.jpg

A little bit of sniffing around to get to know each other better:
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-dsc_0156.jpg

Time for some posing:
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-dsc_0133.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-dsc_0135.jpg

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-dsc_0147.jpg

Do the window glasses on the pre-facelift look more tinted than the facelift version? May be it's just the light playing tricks with us:
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-dsc_0154.jpg

This is like that puzzle in the Mumbai Mirror - "Identity and circle 15 differences between the fronts of the 2 cars":
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-dsc_0164.jpg

The "You may now kiss the bride" moment :D
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-dsc_0166.jpg

Have to admire the professionalism and patience of Tushar. I had asked him to meet me at 6:30 AM. He stays on the other side of the city and still turned up a cool 30 minutes before the time. We actually set out 5 minutes later and therefore got about 30 minutes more with the car. He paid attention to and made notes of everything I mumbled. Here, during the side by side photo session, you can see him patiently moving the car 2 inches more to the right, just because I wanted the cars to align more accurately.

2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-dsc_0168.jpg

Ready for take-off:
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-dsc_0116.jpg

What this picture lacks is a pretty girl in a short skirt standing between the 2 cars, ready to drop a scarf. :D

Overall I think, with the facelift, the XUV has matured as a capable crossover and Mahindra has done a fair job of addressing quite a few concerns with the feedback from the customers. There is still a lot of scope for improvement in terms of quality of materials and finesse, and I am sure, Mahindra would keep that in mind while working on the next generation of the XUV. That's all folks, have a good day!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Official Reviews.

Thanks for sharing, Tushar & SDP. Outstanding report, rating it 5 stars! Each & everything that one needs to know about the XUV500 Facelift is in here clap:.

Thanks SDP & Tushar for such a detailed review, excellent snaps and loved the ones with the comparo of the previous Gen. Rated thread a Well deserved 5* :)

Great review! I don't think we have anyone better than SDP to be able to review the new XUV clap:

Tushar and SDP, the pictures say it all. Hats off to such comprehensive coverage!

Both you fellas did a stupendous job of composing this review. Extremely detailed and satisfying! The best part was the vis-a-vis comparison with the pre-facelifted one. Rating the thread the 5 stars it deserves.

Question for SDP: Have you changed the grill to something else? Don't know but, it felt so to me. Could be that I'm getting more accustomed to the new one but, better to confirm right ?:D

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Thanks guys for such a lovely and exhaustive review of the new age beast. A detailed report on some of the new features such as the functioning of the sunroof and seat quality was revealing, i guess a few features such as improved ESP etc were left out. any way you guys could have tested these?

I am now in two minds if to go for the xuv after so many troubles and niggles have been pointed out, whic seems to be the forte of this vehicle, or to go for the time tested safari.

any help guys?

Simply superb review guys! I was waiting for this review.

I agree, there could not be a better person than SDP to accompany Tushar in this review. SDP's knowledge about the XUV is unparalleled.

I love the attention to the details and accompanying pictures.

Coming to the XUV, I like the way the older XUV looks. It is more brawny and aggressive. But I definitely like the interiors of the new one, especially the updated Infotainment, new dashboard and the powered seats.