Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2015, 12:22   #496
BHPian

Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I also want to wait but the dealer here is saying that the vehicle will be available in Feb 2016 which is bit too long considering the fact that I have already paid in full for current version.
During the test drive last week, the sales-rep confirmed that 400 (VX) is available for booking and depending on the color choice (white/black) can be made available in 10-15 days; he was non-committal on any other color. Interestingly, older colors (champagne gold etc.) are still mentioned on the quotation sheet and the rep confirmed they're available albeit with a 'waiting' period! Not sure why your dealer would say otherwise?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Adding Price Quotes; Storme details are towards the bottom. First one is the pre-upgrade and latter post-upgrade.

** These are Hyderabad specific quotations **

Can some one throw some light on 'Basic Accessories'; why is this separately charged and what all does it include? I'd noticed this earlier but forgot to ask the sales -rep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by durgesh View Post
I visited the Fortune Cars Dealer, Navi Mumbai and have got the price list.
Reposting a query (in bold) from my previous post; even the Navi Mumbai (@durgesh) quotes has a mention but for a lot less amount!?
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 13:18   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
the 400 nm is pretty much available at Tata Showroom @ Gachibowli now - parked right outside the showroom . For me, I consider it launched :-)
Will the VX be available only with 400 NM or 320 NM too?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 23rd November 2015, 13:25   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
Friends, is this VARICOR 400 engine, same with different tuning or altogether new engine?
Its the same 2.2L Varicor engine with a different tuning to bump up power / torque figures.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 13:46   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Will the VX be available only with 400 NM or 320 NM too?

Cheers,
Vikram
I guess the 400nm is only for VX versions now. We may see it in LX or EX maybe in 2016 but I have no clue about it for now
regards
Rajeev
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:12   #500
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Thanks for sharing. Page number 7 shows restart grade %. Doesn't that show existing storme is better?
Should be an error in the ppt presentation. grade % should improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Nice - sounds promising!

Agreed - I found the Storme I inspected in the showroom to be much higher in quality than the Fortuner 4x4 AT I had planned on buying - which is why I held off on it.

The safety issues that the Fortuner has are inexcusable - no real protection for the occupants and the Storme's doors weigh at least 3x the Fortuner's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Both have 2 airbags, unsure of safety ratings
but because the current gen Forfuner is sold in International markets, it might be absorbing impacts better.

What better protection does Storme have over Fortuner? Has better brakes but structure/build wise?

And 3X times more weight for doors, really
...how?
Actually Safari brakes could be better than that of the Fortuner but the Fortuner has VSP- Vehicle Stability Program that is missing in the Safari also an AT which too is missing on the Safari.

Heavy doors don't make for safer vehicles, it is the crumple zones that matter. Safari doors in general have been getting lighter since the first edition and that is good.

Cruise control should have come in with the Varicor 400.

The 0-100 and 0.60 times are quite interesting in the presentation and the Safari doing better than the next Fortuner is great but, the next gen Fortuner will be having better interiors than the current Safari by far though at 40-45% price premium. The Fortuner also has a better last row of seats especially if seating matters.

What I would want:
The Safari does make a great case for itself with the revised specs and interiors and yes is a better product in my eyes than the XUV and the Scorpio but yet doesn't sell. It is a bit too tall and narrow for the proportions to work. The height above the drivers head in the front is absurdly high and not required and yet the height above the last row is too low inspite of the back roof being given an upward step. They need to figure out a better way to place the spare wheel and yet lower the rear floor without compromising the Ground clearance - Learn a bit from the Fortuner or even their own Aria in that aspect. Sideways last row of seats are fine in my view but the height is so low that they are not at all usable even by kids.

The Safari misses Auto wipers, headlights and Satnav which the Aria had and if they were to take care of all the above complaints it would make a great vehicle - I suspect they will do this in a 2018 next gen version - probably with a new name though they could really stick to Safari as long as they revise the same to make it wider and shorter.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:57   #501
Senior - BHPian

in Delhi MCD is proposing to levy a parking fee which will go all the way upto 15% percent of the vehicle cost for a vehicle costing 40 lakh. At 15 lakh it may be 90 K extra (at estimated 6% of the vehicle cost). Waiting may reslult in this extra payout.
Old 23rd November 2015, 21:51   #502
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! Thanks for that pdf file about the Varicor 400.

As a DICOR owner for 1,90,000km (95k on 2.2 120bhp Grande + 95k on 140bhp safari dicor ), I can surely tell that no safari owner is going to do 0-100kmph sprints LOL!

But that is a good thing to know that performance has improved. My safari is 95k old but still feels new. I am thinking of going for an XUV500/Hexa after 1.25 lakh km on the safari. With such specs, I guess hexa will be a better choice next year!

But to be honest, I have started getting more attached to the safari offlate. The best ride quality in this side of 40 lakhs, powerful engine, very solid build and still returning 13kmpl on highways! That is one nice truck from Tata!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd November 2015 at 21:54.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 12:13   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
But to be honest, I have started getting more attached to the safari offlate. The best ride quality in this side of 40 lakhs, powerful engine, very solid build and still returning 13kmpl on highways! That is one nice truck from Tata!
Couldn't agree more Prasanna. Just returned last weekend from my annual Goa pilgrimage - 11 hours drive Mumbai to Goa with breaks only for meals and tea. I have done the drive every year in all sorts of vehicles starting with my Santro, 12 years back and even in my Passat. . . nothing to beat the joy of a Safari. Mine is over 4 years old and she's just going on and on.

I am fortunate to have a good driver for my routine weekday urban commute. So I drive only when the roads are empty or there's a long highway drive. Best ride this side of 40 Lakhs is an apt tag line!
Ferruccio is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 17:50   #504

Quote:
Hypothetically, would you pay additional 80-100 K for 400NM version if you had a choice?
Not really, I visited Concorde yesterday and found that price difference in the On-Road price to be between 18K - 20K. And for a product of this price range 20K should not matter essentially.
Old 24th November 2015, 19:22   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elishae View Post
Not really, I visited Concorde yesterday and found that price difference in the On-Road price to be between 18K - 20K. And for a product of this price range 20K should not matter essentially.
80 k includes discounts that I will not get if I go for 400nm
Old 24th November 2015, 23:53   #506
BHPian

Good to see the legend getting constants updates. But it sorely misses an automatic (with 4x4 option), navigation, keyless entry, push button start and refreshed alloy wheels.
Dhar's is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 10:11   #507
BHPian

Quote:
80 k includes discounts that I will not get if I go for 400nm
Wait for 2 months and would will see some discounts on the 400NM as well. With 6 gears, you can stretch your legs long enough now and with that great power (6bhp more than the 320NM variants) and higher torque, the 50-60k should not be a worry I believe.

I have requested in Bangalore for a TD and they are expecting the vehicle to be in yard by this weekend.
anup7649 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 13:36   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Also, the design is too tall and too narrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The Safari does make a great case for itself with the revised specs and interiors and yes is a better product in my eyes than the XUV and the Scorpio but yet doesn't sell. It is a bit too tall and narrow for the proportions to work

<snip>

- probably with a new name though they could really stick to Safari as long as they revise the same to make it wider and shorter.
Have a question about Storme's width. Its mentioned 1965 mm everywhere on the internet. Does this number include wing mirrors as well?

If not, then according to numbers Storme is as tall/narrow as a Fortuner, in fact, slightly better W/H than Fortuner.
Storme (WxH) = 1965 x 1922
Fortuner (WxH) = 1840 x 1850

What is the front and rear track of Storme, compared to Fortuner?
Old 25th November 2015, 16:01   #509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Have a question about Storme's width. Its mentioned 1965 mm everywhere on the internet. Does this number include wing mirrors as well?

If not, then according to numbers Storme is as tall/narrow as a Fortuner, in fact, slightly better W/H than Fortuner.
Storme (WxH) = 1965 x 1922
Fortuner (WxH) = 1840 x 1850

What is the front and rear track of Storme, compared to Fortuner?
Tata safari dimensions(not including side steps) LxWxH and Wheelbase are
4655x1855x1922mm, 2650
Fortuner is
4705x1840x1850mm, 2750

Fortuner may be 15mm narrower, but its also 72mm less in height. That is 7cms shorter and 1.5 cm narrower. So the proportion seems better visually. A slightly shorter safari in height would have been more appealing.

That said, many people no longer consider safari very good looking not because fortuner is better, but because everybody has seen the older Safari's. The TCIC, DICOR 2.2, 3.0 all surpass the storme in looks(except the front end).

Storme loses out in the butch look when compared to previous generation.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 16:38   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Tata safari dimensions(not including side steps) LxWxH and Wheelbase are
4655x1855x1922mm, 2650
Fortuner is
4705x1840x1850mm, 2750
No wonder the Safari looks tall and narrow. 1965mm is inflated width because of those side steps! I always thought those steps were an accessory.

I think, vehicle width should not include those protrusions, creates a skewed perspective. Or if they really want to give that info, so that people can keep clearances in mind, they should explicitly mention the actual vehicle width also.

Thanks a lot

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks