Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2015, 11:56   #601
BHPian

Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
It may be just me, but 4 - 5 years from now a itsy bitsy touchscreen is not going to make you happy when they have far more evolved infotainment systems. But I bet the Storme's power, ride, poise and 'rickshaw sweeping' ability will plaster a broad grin on your face for as long as you choose to keep it.
+1

IMO, The touchscreen systems are a distraction while driving, especially the ones with built-in Navigation units. Let me put it this way - If I have a regular system (with buttons), over time I get used to the button locations and I no longer have to look down during driving for anything - my muscle memory will take care of it. Similarly, for Nav, I'll prefer it at eye-level and hence get an after-market MMI unit, mount it on the Windshield - least distraction while driving.

I was driving a friend's XUV couple of months back and it was very distracting and uncomfortable to look down at the dashboard navigation system for directions - more so because its a wide vehicle and you have to look away from the road to take a peek at it. [/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
+1

There are so many omissions or dash under the list of Varicor-400 VX tab. For e.g. "Projector Head Lamps".

Can somebody confirm this?
Apparently its a goof-up on TML Marketing/TCS side as Sourabh pointed out that all these features are carried over!!

And Speaking of Safari ads, This one (though not a TV ad) is too good!!
Notice the ride quality through the video and you'll be impressed.

Last edited by nerd1200 : 9th December 2015 at 12:04.
nerd1200 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 18:34   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Libra - I understand your comment. The complete driveline needs to be compatible with the power and torque which the engine delivers, you can't up the engine figures just like that! It's always an engineered package meeting CMVR, it's never done any other way, never recommended also.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Agreed, but this is where the brains from the aftermarket mod world start thinking.
We have remapped Safari Dicors as well as Stormes which are running just perfectly since long times. After the test drive of 400nm i can bet its still not in a good tune. After every gear change there is a pause before the next available power comes in. This is not present in the 320 nm storme or even the Safaris that have been remapped.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 18:42   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I do love the next gen Everest but no clear launch dates plus an apprehension for ford after sales.
But now they are catching fire in Australia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Nicely put gentlemen. While you guys were thoughtfully penning down wonderful lines for the 400, I just booked one for myself. A shining Pearl White 400 4X4!
Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
...but for India nothing beats a Safari!
Precisely my opinion, but for now I am forced to get a Fortuner. :(

(Due to the automatic 4x4 - even Jeep will not have GCs until April 2016!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
We have remapped Safari Dicors as well as Stormes which are running just perfectly since long times.
Have you remapped a Dicor 3.0 engine, and with what results? Would be very interested...

Any thread/post on this? Thanks!
SuperFlyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 19:51   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Have you remapped a Dicor 3.0 engine, and with what results? Would be very interested...

Any thread/post on this? Thanks!
I dont have high hopes for 3.0 as its not a high revving engine, but next month we will have a remap for it. 2 safaris in Pune with 3.0 will be done.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 14:31   #605
Senior - BHPian

Can we expect a remap for Storme 400 then?
Old 13th December 2015, 16:52   #606
BHPian

Am on the last leg of my purchase journey of the Storme EX (urban bronze) at concorde motors velachery, chennai. PO should be issued this week from my company and the vehicle will arrive by year end. registration in the first week of Jan. Haven't been able to sleep and can't wait!!

A few questions for existing storme owners:

1. Does it make sense to go for the reverse parking camera or sensors from the dealership or is it better to get it done aftermarket. The Sales guy isnt very clear about voiding of warranty on electricals if I was to get it done outside. The quote I have is Rs 7700 for the camera based one and Rs 4500 for the sensor based on from the dealer.

2. Based on the feedback recieved on my earlier queries regarding the AMC package, I will pick up the 3yr Gold AMC package (45k INR, 60k Kms) but towards the end of the first year and not at the time of the purchase

3. PDI - Does Anyone have a Storme specific PDI checklist? This will be very helpful especially considering I am upgrading from a sedan to the truck. Need to know what all to look out for.

4. Am thinking of the following accessories:
a. Explorer decals (3.5 K)
b. Front and Tail lamps chrome garnish (2.5 K)
c. Nudge Guard (15.5 K - Thinking hard about this one)
Any feedback on the nudge guard decision? Also, the explorer decals aren't looking great on the urban bronze colour, so might eventually drop them. They look great on the white / black / silver shades though.

Am getting a 20k exchange bonus as well for disposing off my 14 yr old DL registered santro (apart from some peanuts for selling it), so that makes the deal a little sweeter. Final on-road price after knocking off cash discount and exchange bonus is 13.3 L.
Old 13th December 2015, 17:49   #607
Senior - BHPian

Seek here are my suggestions.
1. Reverse camera try to get it done at TASS in case you need it. I've survived 2 yrs without that.
2. AMC option of 4 yr 45k kms is available. It was 19k when I took it. Do compare with this based on your running.
3. Pls avoid the Explorer decals and if possible chrome decals. Spoils the beast's looks imo.
4. Check GP Road for nudge guard options before buying from Concorde
Old 13th December 2015, 18:59   #608
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Seek;3869116]Am on the last leg of my purchase journey of the Storme EX (urban bronze) at concorde motors velachery, chennai. PO should be issued this week from my company and the vehicle will arrive by year end. registration in the first week of Jan. Haven't been able to sleep and can't wait!!

A few questions for existing storme owners:

1. Does it make sense to go for the reverse parking camera or sensors from the dealership or is it better to get it done aftermarket. The Sales guy isnt very clear about voiding of warranty on electricals if I was to get it done outside. The quote I have is Rs 7700 for the camera based one and Rs 4500 for the sensor based on from the dealer.

I have never felt the need for a camera in my Storme. The graphical indication is sufficient.

2. Based on the feedback recieved on my earlier queries regarding the AMC package, I will pick up the 3yr Gold AMC package (45k INR, 60k Kms) but towards the end of the first year and not at the time of the purchase

Please check for the Gold package. I was told that it was for 3 years 45 K Km . It makes sense to go in for it. Gives you peace of mind. However, instead of waiting for a year, pick it up before the second service ( 10 K KM ) as you will not have to pay for the consumables like oil.

The Storme looks cool without any accessories.
Old 14th December 2015, 00:19   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Seek here are my suggestions.
1. Reverse camera try to get it done at TASS in case you need it. I've survived 2 yrs without that.
2. AMC option of 4 yr 45k kms is available. It was 19k when I took it. Do compare with this based on your running.
3. Pls avoid the Explorer decals and if possible chrome decals. Spoils the beast's looks imo.
4. Check GP Road for nudge guard options before buying from Concorde
I am not too hung up on the reverse camera but need the sensor for sure. So will go with the TASS option.

AMC packs explained to me are 1yr/20k kms, 2yr/40k kms (21000 INR), 3yr/60000kms (45000 INR). So opting for the 3yr/60k kms gold package.

I kind of liked the compass decals. Looked simple and no bling. However on the urban bronze they don't look great so dropping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post

I have never felt the need for a camera in my Storme. The graphical indication is sufficient.

Please check for the Gold package. I was told that it was for 3 years 45 K Km . It makes sense to go in for it. Gives you peace of mind. However, instead of waiting for a year, pick it up before the second service ( 10 K KM ) as you will not have to pay for the consumables like oil.

The Storme looks cool without any accessories.
Thanks. Yes will stick to the parking sensors with display in the rear view mirror.
Old 14th December 2015, 13:07   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviddenis View Post

Had a detailed discussion on the accessories and explored all the options. Did you all know that you can have mood/lounge lighting in Storme as a genuine Tata accessory for Rs. 3600. And what more you could change colour of your lunge lighting on a flick of a button (7 colour options). Or that you could have the puddle lamps throwing TATA logo projection on the ground just like the latest XUV - all for 1800 bucks. ...............
Can anyone confirm that these kind of accessories are available from Tata. The online portfolio is quite limited.

Also has anyone fitted the original nudge guard? How is the quality and how good is the mounting of the nudge guard? Can extra fog lights be installed on the nudge guard?
Old 14th December 2015, 13:53   #611
BHPian

Hi Seek, you can check the Autocop range of parking accessories. They got a model for about Rs.6k, that includes rear 4 parking sensors plus camera.
Old 15th December 2015, 11:59   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sourabh - go on the open road and then see. You will enjoy looking in your rear view mirrors to see "just overtaken" cars as mere blips and then disappearing very fast from those screens as well. Find out!

and .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Looks like I have to wait for more than a month for this experience. The dealers are not committing anything as according to them 4x4 version is still not in production. I don't understand why it is not in production if 400NM is available only in vx trim, that too when they have confirm booking with 80% of money paid. In any case Stormes are not selling in thousands that require long queing.

Too much of family pressure to withdraw booking with 'humne to bola tha', but I plan to stick to it for some time and with a lot of hope.

Edit: just got a call that car will be allotted today or tomorrow. Can't control my grin now. People nearby are wondering what happened.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 15th December 2015 at 12:11.
Old 15th December 2015, 14:13   #613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
The dealers are not committing anything as according to them 4x4 version is still not in production. I don't understand. Too much family pressure to withdraw booking with 'humne to bola tha'! Just got a call that car will be allotted today or tomorrow. Can't control my grin now. People nearby are wondering what happened.
Dear Sourabh - please take your family members for a "casual stroll" in the vehicle. After giving them a "small taste of the three S" performance ("Smooth Silent Surge" of Power), you can quietly say "humne bhi to bola tha" (with a controlled grin)!

There are very few people who actually make things happen. Then there is a majority of people who wonder what happened! Oh yes, there are numerous daily pitfalls to negotiate if you are in the first category, but there are priceless rewards too. One of the priceless rewards is to be able to type this post to you. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 13:12   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sourabh - please take your family members for a "casual stroll" in the vehicle. After giving them a "small taste of the three S" performance ("Smooth Silent Surge" of Power), you can quietly say "humne bhi to bola tha" (with a controlled grin)!

There are very few people who actually make things happen. Then there is a majority of people who wonder what happened! Oh yes, there are numerous daily pitfalls to negotiate if you are in the first category, but there are priceless rewards too. One of the priceless rewards is to be able to type this post to you. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
My grin turned into sad face after today's ruling by Supreme Court. Now I have to wait till April 2016. Somethings are not easy to get, no matter how hard we try.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 13:36   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore still does not have the Storme 400 test drive vehicles. Looks like TATA and its dealers are not interested in selling the Storme in Bangalore.

Most Viewed