Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2018, 21:17   #856
BHPian

Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Did you check the fuse? I had faced similar issue once and a fuse replacement solved it.
I am yet to check the fuse. will check it. Thanks.
Old 24th June 2019, 17:50   #857
BHPian

Kicking up this thread after a long time. My vehicle is now at the 80k mark and i am now starting to contemplate on keep it or sell it.
Keep It Points - Nothing wrong with the mechanics as such. Engine chugging along, usual wear and tears - clutch, timing belt, shocks changed at about 70k. Rest seems to be good. Tyres changes at 50k and now on Michelin LTX Force. Minimal body damage apart from a few scratches.
Sell It Points - The selling price has already come down due to the miles put in. Apart from that, nothing much to contemplate

Questions
1. Should i keep it or sell it ?
2. If i keep it, how long does it make sense to keep it ? Another 20k or another 50k
3. Is it worthwhile to spend a couple of lakhs on sprucing up the internals as well as any mechanical of the car
4. I am not seeing any vehicle currently in the sweet spot of 16 to 18l on road to replace the Storme. Harrier is just another cross over on steroids, Jeep is too expensive with non stable After sales. The MGs and the Kias are again sheep in a Wolf's fur. They dont have the presence a Storme has.

So what do i do ? Any thoughts welcome
Old 24th June 2019, 18:08   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Kicking up this thread after a long time. My vehicle is now at the 80k mark......

They dont have the presence a Storme has.

So what do i do ? Any thoughts welcome
My friend, you have answered your own question. Which product has all the attributes of the Storme?

Me says stay invested, negotiate a service package with the TASS and enjoy the beast.

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 14:52   #859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite an insignificant post probably but this forum thread is the only place on earth where we might get genuine answers on queries like the one I have. So trying.

Can we remove the stock Harman integrated ICE HU from the center console, replace/cut the center fascia cover in the middle & install a 2 DIN SONY AX5000 touch screen media-nav head unit instead? The space between the AC knobs and the 12V socket below seems really tight so I'm not able to exactly deduce if the unit will fit or not.

Please let me know if anyone has installed this or any other 7" touch screen head unit in the refreshed Storme by replacing the Harman unit. If the answer is yes - I might take the plunge next month. I'm quite used to the system now in my Vista and going back to the basic unit in Storme will prick a lot.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:45   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
......this forum thread is the only place on earth where we might get genuine answers on queries like the one I have.
true that...haha

Quote:

Can we remove the stock Harman integrated ICE HU from the center console, replace/cut the center fascia cover in the middle & install a 2 DIN SONY AX5000 touch screen media-nav head unit instead? The space between the AC knobs and the 12V socket below seems really tight so I'm not able to exactly deduce if the unit will fit or not.

If the answer is yes - I might take the plunge next month.

Checking the specs of the XAV5000 - (W X H X D) is 7.01 x 3.94 x 5.47 inches.
It does appear very tight, but the real toughie is not the W and H, but the depth. Is there 6 inches inside the console to accommodate the Sony unit?

I think even Tata couldn't fit a 2 din unit on the Storme, that's why they had a version few years ago, with a 2 din bigger screen hanging out.

And you are saying that the absence of a touchscreen would change a whole car decision for you? Please no, man. There is nothing like the Storme on Indian roads. Its built like a rock.

cheers.
lazy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:05   #861
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Please let me know if anyone has installed this or any other 7" touch screen head unit in the refreshed Storme by replacing the Harman unit. If the answer is yes - I might take the plunge next month. I'm quite used to the system now in my Vista and going back to the basic unit in Storme will prick a lot.
What I have observed is a large box like thing mounted on the dashboard and covered with a carpet material, so I guess the answer is that it won't look elegant. Its best to leave that unit alone, use your phone, install android auto, use a streaming service and mount is somewhere easy to reach. You get the looks as well as functionality without messing with anything.

How is the support for Vista since it's discontinued? Safari appears to go in the same path, so if you are confident of Tata service on a product like that, it's still worth going for it. I did not like their service and I'm never going to FNG, so no safari for me.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 15:15   #862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
true that...haha

Checking the specs of the XAV5000 - (W X H X D) is 7.01 x 3.94 x 5.47 inches.
It does appear very tight, but the real toughie is not the W and H, but the depth. Is there 6 inches inside the console to accommodate the Sony unit?

I think even Tata couldn't fit a 2 din unit on the Storme, that's why they had a version few years ago, with a 2 din bigger screen hanging out.

And you are saying that the absence of a touchscreen would change a whole car decision for you? Please no, man. There is nothing like the Storme on Indian roads. Its built like a rock.

cheers.
Yeah That was atrocious wasn't it? A 1 DIN system with a hanging resistive touch screen, that had no navigation or other features. The current one surely is better without touch.

I already have the Sony 5000 in my Vista & its very very convenient for long cruises - which one surely does with a Safari. Its a bummer not to have a good media-nav in a cruiser now. Feels like a backward step from my existing 9 year old car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
What I have observed is a large box like thing mounted on the dashboard and covered with a carpet material, so I guess the answer is that it won't look elegant. Its best to leave that unit alone, use your phone, install android auto, use a streaming service and mount is somewhere easy to reach. You get the looks as well as functionality without messing with anything.

How is the support for Vista since it's discontinued? Safari appears to go in the same path, so if you are confident of Tata service on a product like that, it's still worth going for it. I did not like their service and I'm never going to FNG, so no safari for me.
No I won't be going for anything installed outside of the standard ICE HU position. Nothing sticking out anywhere please. I love the simplistic & timeless Storme dashboard & want to keep it that way.

Vista support has been absolutely fine. Spares are readily available & service is fine too. The car is running without complaints at all.

The only reason why I'm suddenly thinking of replacing it is in fact because the Storme is going to be discontinued for civilian buyers and its my desperate last ditch effort to see if I can get one and fulfil a childhood dream of owning a Safari one day.

Spares & service for a Storme will not be a problem at all. Its made in the Pune plant assembly line, which will be kept running because Army buys the Storme & spares and car will continue to be manufactured. Just that it won't be sold to civilians after new safety & BS6 norms kick in.

I took the test drive of a Duster over the weekend just to have a benchmark and my right hand fingers and left leg are still aching. For such a new car, both -clutch and steering- were disgustingly heavy. The car went out of the equation permanently.

Today I might test drive the Storme with family to get a feel of their opinions. I don't need a test drive of it anyway. If I buy a new car now, it will be only because its a Safari. Nothing else has the pull or the reason for change.

Let's see what July 2019 offers they can provide. June offer wasn't too inviting with just 25k discount for an absolute market dud when better selling and newer cars are giving away as much as a hundred thousand off + finance at 0% interest.

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd July 2019 at 15:17.
Old 2nd July 2019, 15:38   #863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only reason why I'm suddenly thinking of replacing it is in fact because the Storme is going to be discontinued for civilian buyers and its my desperate last ditch effort to see if I can get one and fulfil a childhood dream of owning a Safari one day.

I took the test drive of a Duster over the weekend just to have a benchmark and my right hand fingers and left leg are still aching. For such a new car, both -clutch and steering- were disgustingly heavy. The car went out of the equation permanently.
Reinhard

1) - The Vista has done 9 years, and though it is going strong, do get the Storme. No point regretting it later. I am still stuck with thoughts of a Tata TL - didnt get one then, and not finding one now.

2) The Duster is BAD. Suspension is great, ASS very good. But very bad ergonomics. Do a long drive and you will know. On this point, it cannot come close to the Storme. I am glad you dropped the Duster from the list.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 16:09   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Reinhard

1) - The Vista has done 9 years, and though it is going strong, do get the Storme. No point regretting it later. I am still stuck with thoughts of a Tata TL - didnt get one then, and not finding one now.
Yeah! your avatar has been saying Telcoline Wanted since a decade now I think!

I think your line above is going to be the final little push that takes me over the line. Will let you know surely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
2) The Duster is BAD. Suspension is great, ASS very good. But very bad ergonomics. Do a long drive and you will know. On this point, it cannot come close to the Storme. I am glad you dropped the Duster from the list.
Let's not talk of the ergonomics at all. Its a car in which they couldn't even swap the lighting & wiper stalks to the "correct" positions.

And there is no list. There is only the Storme or I stick with the Vista. The test drive like I said, was a calibration exercise. Makes my case stronger when I take the Safari test drive with the family. They will come out convinced without any need of discussions.
Duster is highly praised for its handling and ride. And has a similar price band. So tested it for relative comparison.
Otherwise I have driven the Storme quite a bit & don't really need a TD.

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd July 2019 at 16:11.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 16:22   #865
BHPian

Quote:
There is only the Storme or I stick with the Vista. The test drive like I said, was a calibration exercise. Makes my case stronger when I take the Safari test drive with the family. They will come out convinced without any need of discussions.
Seems you're sold on it already! I really hope that the AV unit limitations of the Storme is not a deal breaker for you. It's not bad by any (sound) standard, but just doesn't have the new-age frills.

Regarding your query though, I'd taken few snaps of my central console opened up (to fix an AC issue) and had posted it on the V400 thread. Do stop by and check if those help, to get a sense of the available space.

All the best!!
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 19:55   #866
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Seems you're sold on it already!
Since '99 when I was just a school kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
I really hope that the AV unit limitations of the Storme is not a deal breaker for you. It's not bad by any (sound) standard, but just doesn't have the new-age frills.

Regarding your query though, I'd taken few snaps of my central console opened up (to fix an AC issue) and had posted it on the V400 thread. Do stop by and check if those help, to get a sense of the available space.

All the best!!
Indeed - I had already seen your post's pictures behind the console last week & had done some calculations in the mind to convince myself that it might be possible to fit the HU with some jugaad there.

Test drive done & I could drive the truck with far more confidence & ease in the little roads of Pune at the evening rush hour. The other occupants were mostly blue by the time I parked it in my parking slot because of the millimeter gaps I was leaving to other things and people. And I was doing it nonchalantly as if I drive that car daily.

Not once did I look at the parking assist in the HU. The rear visibility with the 3 wide mirrors & all the correct sized glasses of the greenhouse is way better than my Vista. Didn't expect that. 3 point turns, side parking in the little 1 lane internal road of my colony was never easier.

Now I wait for the final deals from the dealers. It might come to nothing in the worst case. But in the best case - we are surely onto something here & I hope I can pull it off!

The Storme is now made-to-order only and there are no cars maintained in stock at all. All 3 dealerships told me "This car is now only bought by true Safari Lovers. Nobody else even thinks of it. We sales executives don't even have targets to sell the Safari anymore. Company doesn't worry much about it". While the enthusiast and purist in me was heart broken, it came as no surprise really & its okay. Times have changed. Its no point trying to sell a Storme in the era of the Hectors, Creatas and Harriers.

Customers need to make almost all the payment. Once the payment is transferred by dealer to Tata motors, the actual assembly starts on the line for specific order. That makes owning a Safari Storme all the more exclusive now. Fingers crossed. If all works out, plan is to have the truck somewhere in August.

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd July 2019 at 19:57.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 20:23   #867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah! your avatar has been saying Telcoline Wanted since a decade now I think!

I think your line above is going to be the final little push that takes me over the line. Will let you know surely!
Yes, the dream is still alive. I have recently checked out a couple - I even went to Goa to check one there.

One suggestion for you: Get the 4x4. Check the availability - if it is still available, even on order, get it right away before there are any changes in the production plans.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 21:14   #868
BHPian

Quote:

The Storme is now made-to-order only and there are no cars maintained in stock at all. All 3 dealerships told me "This car is now only bought by true Safari Lovers. Nobody else even thinks of it. We sales executives don't even have targets to sell the Safari anymore. Company doesn't worry much about it". While the enthusiast and purist in me was heart broken, it came as no surprise really & its okay. Times have changed. Its no point trying to sell a Storme in the era of the Hectors, Creatas and Harriers.
Same here, since 1999 i wanted to get the Safari. And finally got it in 2018 when the first news of discontinuation started coming in the media. I better buy it before the close the line down, and I did.

Pretty much same was the case in May 2018 too, or that's what the dealer told me. That the Safari is made to order against firm bookings. And that the Black will probably take 3 months, and 4x4 will also take around 3 months.
So I had to take Pearl White, even that took 5 weeks, though i would have loved the black.

I missed getting the 4x4, really couldn't justify the premium for urban crawl, but then seeing the prices at which cute little high-clearance "SUV"s are getting sold with glass roofs or shiny alloys, i probably should have shelled out the money for some proper 4x4 hardware.

Anyway, go for it, like i said, there's nothing like the Storme on sale in India right now. If Tata keep the spares supply coming, this thing will run forever.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 22:30   #869
BHPian

Quote:
The same goes with me. Since childhood I am a fan of Safari. After Storme's launch I liked it more. I got mine in Dec'17.

Quote:

Customers need to make almost all the payment. Once the payment is transferred by dealer to Tata motors, the actual assembly starts on the line for specific order. That makes owning a Safari Storme all the more exclusive now. Fingers crossed. If all works out, plan is to have the truck somewhere in August.

I may agree this for whole of India except north especially Uttar Pradesh. I live in Lucknow and here I cross one dealer stockyard daily. The stock for Storme is always available with white and grey color. When I bought mine in Dec'17, I came to know that 90% of monthly sales is from Uttar Pradesh. Every month I see 3-4 new Stormes in my city.

You should not wait for your dream car of earlier times and just go for it. You will love driving it everyday.
Prateek19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 09:46   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Now that you have decided on Storme, I would suggest you to go for 4X4. Also, Storme is a heavy vehicle and it takes a lot of effort to pull it out when stuck. 4X4 makes life easy in such situations.
Now I know how you are using the Storme 4*4 now with army spec suspension as it is meant to be. I love the way you put the Storme through the rough stuff and still maintain the car superbly.
Please let us know the details of the suspension upgrade, like the cost and were you able to source the parts from TASS?
I watch the anshuman's videos just to see how the Storme performs with respect to all the big boys around. Now with army spec Storme seems to have found some new found agility. How is the car to drive on road now?
P.S I own a HEXA XTA but my heart still beats for Storme.
damodar is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks