Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2015, 06:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

All i can say is Tata is successfully killing the Safari brand. Too little too late. Too much time taken between updates. After 2 years all you get is 10 bhp and 8 liters more in the diesel tank. Its taken more than 16 years to give the 2 din music system.
Ground clearance is now lower than the Dicor. 4x4 transfercase unprotected.
They should have added atleast 15 addditional new features to support this update which is utterly half hearted.
Tata really think the potential Safari customer who usually buys a Safari with heart over mind, is really stupid !!
Well NO. Look at your sales chart and you will know who is

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 20th June 2015 at 06:45.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 07:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Same 2.2L diesel, with 10 more horses:
rl]
Thanks tsk1979 for the nice review. No body better to review this update than a hard core Safari fan.
The update from Tata clearly shows a clear lack of attention from their Top Mgt to the detail, be it on the lack of a navigation unit or a dead pedal or providing the contemporary IRVM which a 15 Lakh SUV ought to have.
Any idea what is the rationale behind the 10K service interval? And I feel many owners in city driving subscribe to the fact that frequent oil changes is always a better bet on Tata Diesel Engines than saving some money on oil.
Old 20th June 2015, 08:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks TSK for the review.

Looking at the Indonesian TVC, couldnt help but comment on the alloys they get versus the ones we get. And this old version even on the refreshed Storme !
Old 20th June 2015, 09:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Tsk - how is its low-end driveability? I remember the previous version was more of a highway champion.

Also, will Tata continue to sell this avatar alongwith previous avatars like before?
On my 2014 Storme, I believe the ecu has been recalibrated to take care of low end refinement. As a test I slotted first to fifth gear without using the accelerator and no clutch modulation except gentle release and the car moves smoothly without stalling or vibrations in each gear, and upto 50kmph in the fifth. In fact the car can accelerate cleanly from 45 kmph in 5th until it's top end, without any drama.
Old 20th June 2015, 10:27   #20
BHPian

Thanks for the crisp review. Well I have a Dec 14 storme and supposed to be the last batch of chasis number series in earlier storme and can add a few points:
1.) Seating position in my 2014 is better than 2012 model and same as 2015 refresh
2.) My car already came with white cabin LEDs so no change in 2015 refresh
3.) Sound behavior is a different league from 2012 model and almost same as 2015 refresh
4.) There seems to be a change in AC pipeline between 2014 and 2015 storme. The new one has that thick aluminum pipe close to firewall above the engine
5.) 2014 has flat power delivery spots in 3rd gear which I found similar in 2015 too plus found a little hint on 2nd gear too on steep inclines
6.) 2015 clutch does not have release bearing anymore making clutch softer beside being self adjusting
7.) 2015 power delivery is much more linear than 2014
Just a few points that I thought I should add
Rajeev

Last edited by rajismine : 20th June 2015 at 10:29.
rajismine is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 11:23   #21
BHPian

Thank you Tanveer. You review is comprehensive and reassuring. I didn't quite understand why the vehicle wouldn't start and eventually did when you improvised.
Old 20th June 2015, 11:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
S
Seen this ad from Indonesia?
Silly Ad, but from the 4 year Manza experience, have to agree on the tough cars "USP"

Rating your review well deserved 5 stars.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2015 at 19:48. Reason: Language
Old 20th June 2015, 12:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, thank you for a comprehensive review.

One place where I hope and pray TATA works on is the rear red colored fog lights. The attachment ears which bolt on to the inside of the side bumpers are pathetically weak and break at the first hint of even a slight bump.

It's ABSURD how weak these are. And apparently I am not the only one who has been complaining about this. TONS of owners just at National have as well. Wonder what the number Pune wide and India wide is. You cannot go replacing a 500+ buck light every time a moron nudges you from behind (or the moron inside backs very lightly into something behind).

I backed into my wife's Zen.There was a minor black scratch on the bumper of the 18 year old Zen.

And the Storme had a broken hanging fog light. Yet again.

I am pretty displeased about this one. Hope someone somewhere holds the vendor by the ears and makes him improve/reinforce the attachment lugs so that they do not exhibit this pansy behavior under duress.

BEHRAM DHABHAR sir, could you please bring this issue to the notice of someone who is in a position to do something about this, and more importantly, might actually do something about it?

Last edited by ebonho : 20th June 2015 at 12:18.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 12:11   #24
BHPian

Thanks for the review. I cannot hide my disappointment at Tata. I like the Storme. Yes okay the bones of it's body shape are starting to look dated [but not as dated as the refreshed Scorpio]. But the details are up-to-date. So the Storme has potential. But come on Tata. Such dated interior features? No sat-nav [ON AN SUV!!!!, when even the Bolt has it!!!]. Not even an MID showing things like temperature or fuel consumption? Why could Tata not just take the Harmon system from the Bolt/Zest and plonk it in the Safari? What on earth are they thinking? I know Tata have a replacement for the Storme in the pipeline, but why not let the Storme bow out gracefully with it's head held high, rather than being outclassed like this. There is a rumour that Tata will be re-introducing the Storme in South Africa soon. Maybe we will get a better specced version. Here's hoping!
Old 20th June 2015, 12:37   #25
BHPian

Hi Tanveer. Thank you for a reassuring review. I am getting my 4X4 by the coming weekend and it was reassuring to read your review as I had based my purchase decision on TD of 2014 Storme (2WD). I was quite impressed by the ride, comfort and drivability even then and I am happy that things have only become better.

2 set of Questions for you.

First - I plan to travel to Leh in September time frame through Kaza. Looking at the rocky terrain that i will be travelling, do you think I need to get the fuel tank gaurd? and if so where can I get it. My SA at concorde motor showed his ignorance of the availability of such protection plate/gaurd

Second: What tyres were there on your review vehicle? Any views on stock tyre options? My SA says that 90% probability of getting Bridgestone tyres as stock but recently they had also got MRF clad stock. Will there be significant dip in performance (noise / grip / ride) if my truck comes with MRF? and if so, what would you recommend as a replacement?

Look to the answers and Yes- 5 stars for the review
Old 20th June 2015, 12:41   #26
BHPian

Thank you Tsk1979 for the wonderful review!

The Safari started the home-grown 'SUV' revolution in the late 90's and it made me fall in love with its sheer size, stance and raw appeal. The sound of the engine in 'that' safari made me turn my head in awe, every time the Safari passed by. The Safari has grown. The Indian buyer has, too. With every new 'update' to this beast, i feel the same emotion that TATA must be feeling - "Confusion". Confusion to either give it a radical transplant in all facets, or simply keep tinkering here and there so that the Safari might still have it's 'cult' status. In the end, however, i feel truly confused.

Enter the XUV5oo. The definition of the Indian SUV, changed. It proved what all things an SUV is capable of doing and with panache! For me, it became the benchmark of how a 15 lakh SUV should pamper me.

I have always liked the Safari. But this 'Confusion' can be seen on the Safari. How will this issue (or issues) be resolved, i do not know and so doesn't TATA, apparently. The changes are welcome. Somewhere still, it feels that the Safari has a long way to go, if it wants to please the masses. The only problem is - Time is running out.

Last edited by dreamliner17 : 20th June 2015 at 12:48. Reason: Adding points
Old 20th June 2015, 13:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Dear Tanveer, other mods,

I'm a little confused about where to continue posting Storme related stuff.

Does this thread now take over from the existing Storme mega one, or does this one only concentrate on 2015+ Stormes, and pre 2015 Storme owners post on the old one?

If so, could you lease shift my rear fog light ear/lug breaking repeat issue post to the old thread please?
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 13:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamliner17 View Post
Enter the XUV5oo. The definition of the Indian SUV, changed. It proved what all things an SUV is capable of doing and with panache! For me, it became the benchmark of how a 15 lakh SUV should pamper me.
XUV is a car with lots of gizmos and high ground clearance. Nothing more. Similar to a modern day smart phone. Lots of features but we use only few.

Comparing Storme with XUV is comparing apples to oranges. Both are two completely different vehicles unfortunately selling in the same price band.

If you want to be pampered with features, an I20 will give all if not more. You don't have to spend 15 Lakhs for it.

But yes, features sell vehicles in India..
varunanb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 13:56   #29
BHPian

Airbags in only top most variants ? Again the same old story. Hoping the things will change for the good soon.

Waiting to see when the govt. makes such life saving elements mandatory.
Old 20th June 2015, 14:37   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
XUV is a car with lots of gizmos and high ground clearance. Nothing more.
Can you please stop posting misleading information? The XUV500 has a lot more than just gizmos. In case you missed it, here's the likes & dislikes from our review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
What you’ll like:

• A well-engineered, contemporary SUV with a value-for-money price tag
• More mature styling. Front end no longer looks garish
• Acres of space on the 1st & 2nd seat rows
• Competent engine delivers fantastic urban driveability, as well as fast highway performance
• Balanced ride & handling package
• Safety kit includes 6 airbags, ESP with rollover mitigation, ABS + EBD and all-wheel disc brakes
• Expansive feature list (sunroof, touchscreen ICE, powered driver's seat, cruise control etc.)

What you won’t:

• Absolutely no luggage capacity with all the seats in place
• Cramped 3rd seat row is best suited to children only. A sliding middle row is sorely missed
• Interior quality, although better, still has a lot of scope for improvement
• Clutch is lighter now, but has a long travel range & high resting point. Gets cumbersome in traffic
• Niggles & issues, as reported by existing XUV500 owners
• Mahindra's inconsistent sales & service experiences
• Automatic transmission nowhere in sight. Premium customers love their ATs
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks