Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2015, 18:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Good review.

Isn't an all new Safari expected in 2016.

I like the updates that Tata has given the Safari ... a few critical updates that go a long way in improving the overall perception of the SUV. Not the regular set of barely recognisable swoops, curves and barely useful spoilers and stuff that some "all new" iterations get.

I especially love the interior updates and the refinement brought into the package. The shape of the front seats especially look sharp.

An inch or so lopped off the tall cabin with go a long way in improving the looks of what is now a very top heavy SUV.

Hats off to Tata for yet another much improved product but is it a case of too much too late? I really hope not.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 21st June 2015 at 18:33.
Old 21st June 2015, 18:43   #47
BHPian

That is a superb review as always.
Quote:
As opposed to API CH-4, it now uses API CI-4 engine oil. The long change interval is welcome, but I have my doubts on the availability of this oil in smaller towns:
I never had a problem sourcing the API-CI4 (Valvoline) oil for my Indigo, in smaller towns as such. It was readily available on demand.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 11:01   #48
BHPian

Great review Tanveer.

So it took all of 3 years after the Storme launch and with their backs to the wall for Tata Motors to

- change the grill
- add an integrated music system
- keep all existing reliability gremlins intact.

Great job Tata Motors.
I am sure this new launch will sell dozens of SUVs.
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:03   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
IMPROVED Storme. That sounds funny indeed. I own a 2.2 Dicor, same as Tanveer. In fact i think they have taken the Storme out of the Safari. That surely is my personal perspective.
If the test vehicle stalls during a review, how can I as a customer believe there is improvement.

Well this is not really good but it can be a one off.

Who is responsible for the negative perception that exists today. Its Tata.
Yes, I agree they have made some improvements. I love the way it drives, lovely new interiors. Ive posted my drive review earlier. Im looking to replace my Safari but there is no replacement for the Safari 2.2 Dicor 4x4. In the same price range, not yet.

Ive test driven everything worthy of being called an suv south of 20 lakhs and when i look at the Storme IMPROVEMENTS im not sure if i should put down 17 lakhs for a new Storme over what i have now.

Well you may not want to replace your existing Dicor with a new one. But for someone else who is going in for a fresh purchase, the refreshed Storme is a good option.

And then there is news of a 160 bhp 400 nm AT Storme coming with many more additions and improvements. So If a customer buys this one and then sees 15 more IMPROVEMENTS in the next 6 months in a new Storme, I as an existing customer will surely be letdown with this piecemeal treatment. And what bout the reliability about the upcoming AT now that the review vehicle stalled. So gremlins arent gone yet though this Storme does present a very compelling for all those prospective customers who dont push it to its limits.

Well if I need a vehicle now, I may not be willing to wait for 6 months ( it may be a year before it is launched if TML past record is any thing to go by. By that time th Tata Hexagon concvept may also hit the streets).

Can you please list the many more suv options available in the same price range?
Scorpio = suv with only 110 bhp, crammed, bounces like a ping pong ball, also has its share of niggles, certainly not as classy as the Storme even with all the disco gadgetry.
Xuv is not an suv = disco car on stilts with all the bells and whistles.
Duster = a very very capable car on stilts
Innova = a very nice van.
Force One = whats that.. ?
Skoda Yeti = car wannabe suv
Ecosport = Hahahaha
Exactly my point. In that price range if you want a PUCCA SUV, Storme is head and shoulders above the others. The Duster AWD is however a very capable vehicle and cannot be compared to the other products listed here. However, it is too small and is not worth the money Renault is demanding for it

As far as the Sorpio is concerned, I dont like the interiors even though the 120 BHP engine is very responsive and pulls better than the Storme due to the LET and maybe more suitable gearing.

However, most Indian people compare all these vehicles where vehicle looks, seating capacity, brand name and resale value trump many other considerations.

In the thread on the Storme refresh, a lot of people have written that they are going in for the XUV 500 even though the XUV and Storme are as different as chalk and cheese.

Quote:
Did I miss anything?
Sir you did not. You have have been rational in your arguments, however the average buyer in India acts on a totally different set of consideration.

The reason I had posted my query to Tanveer was that he has driven various generations of Storme and also tested them for the forum. I for one, would want to know what he has to say about the Storme/ Scorpio comparison.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd June 2015 at 12:15. Reason: Fixed broken quote tags. Also, please do spell-checks prior to posting.
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
As far as the Sorpio is concerned, I dont like the interiors even though the 120 BHP engine is very responsive and pulls better than the Storme due to the LET and maybe more suitable gearing.
I have heard this many times before.

Yet to date in over two years of ownership have yet to be outpulled by either a Scorpio or an XUV.

If anything, neither have been able to keep the pace and the gap widens with distance, both drivers gunning.

Frankly, I do not think the Scorpio can as a machine. But the XUV can and does attain the same top end figures (claimed) I've taken my Storme to. So I've always hoped to find an XUV which can keep up if not actually pull away.

A Unicorn.

Yes one could argue I've only always somehow coincidentally come up against very average drivers.

Peace.

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd June 2015 at 12:29.
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I have heard this many times before.

Yet to date in over two years of ownership have yet to be outpulled by either a Scorpio or an XUV.

If anything, neither have been able to keep the pace and the gap widens with distance, both drivers gunning.

Frankly, I do not think the Scorpio can as a machine. But the XUV can and does attain the same top end figures (claimed) I've taken my Storme to. So I've always hoped to find an XUV which can keep up if not actually pull away.

A Unicorn.

Yes one could argue I've only always somehow coincidentally come up against very average drivers.

Peace.
Well the two SUV's are very different. The Scorpio is very suited to urban landscape where you drive at low speeds, accelerate, brake and then accelerate again. The Storme is most comfortable on the long highway stretches where it has almost no peers. Its heavier weight and comparatively less responsive engine (at lower rpm) makes it slower then Scorpio in the Urban jungle.
Old 22nd June 2015, 15:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
That is a superb review as always.
I never had a problem sourcing the API-CI4 (Valvoline) oil for my Indigo, in smaller towns as such. It was readily available on demand.
Else can be procured from 99rpm .com.Infact i just got the consignment of Mobil Delvac 1 for my Swift in a week.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 15:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No, it's no corner carver and you should definitely maintain a conservative driving style. As long as you remain mindful of the fact that the Storme is a tall 2 tonne SUV, you won't be disappointed. Of course, monocoque SUVs like the Duster & XUV500 will run rings around it.
How does Storme behave with respect to like of Fortuner, Endeavour, Pajero or Rexton? While I understand that Storme is not a sedan, but is it closer to sedans in terms of driving dynamics than the above mentioned SUVs?
Old 22nd June 2015, 15:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good point there buddy.

Agreed. But which brave soul is going to be dicing with 2 ton beasts on Pune roads and traffic? I have now over 2 years developed this Zen like state to office and back in my Storme. Lucknowi style, pehle aap, pehle aap ....
Interesting perspective Doc!. In my case, its just the opposite- BECAUSE I drive this two tonne behemoth, i find driving in city streets very easy and almost therapeutic. Reason? pretty much everything on the road, esp autos and cabbies, give me a wide berth.

Case in point- The approach road to my house requires me to make a u turn on a very busy six lane road. The cut in the median where there is the u turn is very wide, so the traffic volume passing through is pretty high especially during rush hours.
the day I take my SX4 or Thunderbird to work, i typically take 5 mins to execute the U turn since no one coming from the opposite direction ever stops.

In the Storme, this UTurn never takes more than 30 seconds. All I need to do is to ensure there is no Haryana roadways bus barreling down (those buggers wont stop even for an Arjun Tank!) and simply inch the Storme forwards. Sure enough, traffic from the opposite side generally stops or tries to maneuver around the Storme. Either ways, I get my way. Perhaps mine being white with a nudge guard helps....dunno
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:04   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Interesting perspective Doc!. In my case, its just the opposite- BECAUSE I drive this two tonne behemoth, i find driving in city streets very easy and almost therapeutic. Reason? pretty much everything on the road, esp autos and cabbies, give me a wide berth.

Case in point- The approach road to my house requires me to make a u turn on a very busy six lane road. The cut in the median where there is the u turn is very wide, so the traffic volume passing through is pretty high especially during rush hours.
the day I take my SX4 or Thunderbird to work, i typically take 5 mins to execute the U turn since no one coming from the opposite direction ever stops.

In the Storme, this UTurn never takes more than 30 seconds. All I need to do is to ensure there is no Haryana roadways bus barreling down (those buggers wont stop even for an Arjun Tank!) and simply inch the Storme forwards. Sure enough, traffic from the opposite side generally stops or tries to maneuver around the Storme. Either ways, I get my way. Perhaps mine being white with a nudge guard helps....dunno
Bro I live in the city of the most cussed two wheeler riders. And even more cussed autos and 3-wheeler goods carriers.

Nothing gives way at low speed.

In fact its like an elephant and a pack of dogs. When on charge, everything shows extreme respect.

The moment you are boxed in and slowed down, the maggots sprout wings and come extremely close with their cutting maneuvers.

One of these days am going to get me that Hercules chariot decapitating side appendages ......

I would love the Storme to have had the matte grey unpainted side cladding of the Safari Dicor LX. Both my Dicor friends have LX's and their blood pressure and gastric/duodenal pH is so much better than mine.

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd June 2015 at 16:06.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

The intially committed delivery date for my 4X4 was 15-20 days (by 25th June). Now that the 2 weeks have elapsed there is still no clarity on the delivery date. I called up the NCR head for Tata Motors . As per him, the delivery period for the 4X4 is 45 days. He said that he will check and let me know about the tentative delivery date and the reason behind the unrealistically optimistic delivery date commitment by the dealership.

While I can wait for some time, my kids are ticking off the days on the calendar. Their school reopens on July 1, and they wanted me to take them for a small out of station trip . Seems that it will not be happening. Man proposes, TML disposes. The Storme does not really sell in huge numbers. TML should be able to do a better job of inventory planning and management.
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:15   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of these days am going to get me that Hercules chariot decapitating side appendages ......
LOL. Everytime, we venture out on Pune roads in our Punto(which is daily), my wife always asks me to buy her a Safari on which she intends to fit those "Hercules chariot decapitating side appendages" so that she can just cut through the pack.

I have so far managed to avoid myself from buying her a Safari.

Coming to the Safari itself, why is it that Tata has till now not given the option of front facing third row seats? I believe the side facing seats will definitely be influencing some people not to buy her.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
LOL. Everytime, we venture out on Pune roads in our Punto(whi
Coming to the Safari itself, why is it that Tata has till now not given the option of front facing third row seats? I believe the side facing seats will definitely be influencing some people not to buy her.

It seems that the high floor of the Storme is posing problems in the placement of the front facing 3rd row . Otherwise I believe they would have definitely offered this option. Without front facing 3rd Row, the Storme is essentially a 5 seater.
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:25   #59
BHPian

Nice review tsk. enjoyed it. However, my interest in the beast is inversely proportional with newer facelifts of the old beast. Good luck to all buyers and hope you enjoy your ride.
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:33   #60
Senior - BHPian

IMHO the upgrade even though minimal is very good as far as the hardware is considered. Yes gizmos are still missing but the new HU sounds very good and has good connectivity.

What i loved the most is the new ECU tune- its not just HP addition. The whole low end torque is worked upon. The power delivery is way better now. The turbo lag is reduced to a great extent.
Second and most vital change is the clutch. Many are still wondering whats a self adjusting clutch.
Here is a small video which shows how it works and the use
amit_mechengg is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks