Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2015, 18:08   #451
BHPian

Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

And here is the confirmation from ACI:

Excerpts from ACI article: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ne-398692.aspx

Quote:
Expected to launch in a few days, the Safari Storme will come with an even more powerful 2.2-litre engine which will now make 154.8bhp and 40.78kgm of torque. This engine will be mated to a six-speed manual gearbox and shift-on-the fly four-wheel drive.

According to our sources, the engine will be available only on the top-spec VX trim. The Safari Storme’s LX and EX trims will continue with the 148bhp 2.2-litre motor mated to a five-speed gearbox. The upgraded Safari Storme is likely to be priced around Rs 13.37 lakh (ex-showroom, Mumbai).
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 18:25   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
@rajismine: Couldn't help noticing that you're in Hyd; which dealership is this where you took the photographs? Pardon my ignorance but am assuming PDI center is a dealership; correct me if I am wrong. I am looking for a Storme test drive but none seem to have a 2015 model! Venkatramana motors in Gachibowli has promised me a test drive next week on a 2015 model; how I wish it could be this!?
It was on main road and i shouted and requested the driver to stop the car and let me take few pics . Considering i was about 100 meters away from Venkatramana motors, they could be the one
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 19:30   #453
Senior - BHPian

Oh man! I just paid full amount for 4X4. How I wish this doesn't come in next 2 months at least. Will suffer heart ache if not an heart attack if this is launched in 2015.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 20:17   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Oh man! I just paid full amount for 4X4. How I wish this doesn't come in next 2 months at least. Will suffer heart ache if not an heart attack if this is launched in 2015.
Just 1 week to go sir, dealers have already taken booking for varicor 400
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 20:26   #455
BHPian

That's interesting. did not see any reference to the seating layout so i am assuming they are gonna continue with the jump seat. So a smoother engine and high end in the making, possibly ?
Old 18th November 2015, 21:34   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Do you still have a chance to change the booking? I know how it feels. It has been 5 months since I took the delivery of my storme and this news has brought some disappointment to me! I was expecting this update to happen at least an year later.
Old 18th November 2015, 23:32   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
It was on main road and i shouted and requested the driver to stop the car and let me take few pics . Considering i was about 100 meters away from Venkatramana motors, they could be the one
Woww; have to give it to you to make him stop the car and let you have a dekko!

In fact, this reminds me the sales rep was bang on when he said the vehicle will arrive by Thursday and he'll call me to book a test drive by Monday next week; can't wait for him to call now! I was there last Sunday and quite liked with the way the folks conducted themselves. However, there were certain spoilers too; apparently Sardinia Red and Champagne gold colors are still available! Another one was the rep's describing the cons of a 4X4; "sir, mileage kam hoga; do aur chakka ka weight hoga na"
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 08:16   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
That's interesting. did not see any reference to the seating layout so i am assuming they are gonna continue with the jump seat. So a smoother engine and high end in the making, possibly ?

It indeed had the jump seats
Old 19th November 2015, 09:00   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Do you still have a chance to change the booking? I know how it feels. It has been 5 months since I took the delivery of my storme and this news has brought some disappointment to me! I was expecting this update to happen at least an year later.
I wish it can be changed. The dealer was supposed to get it registered yesterday or today. I will have a chance if it is not registered. Sent him a mail and SMS last night. Will call him today morning to check. I would have gone there first thing in the morning if I was in town.
Old 19th November 2015, 09:09   #460
Senior - BHPian

More than the power, its the torque number which sounds great. 400+nm from a 2.2 liter engine is pretty darn good, especially a home grown engine.
Old 19th November 2015, 09:49   #461
BHPian

Can we relate this engine to 2.2 liter SD4 HSE engine line up from JLR?
I see very high possibility of parts and technology sharing happening behind the curtain.
Anyways, it's good for us in the end.
True SUV lovers (not feature lovers) have one more reason to rejoice.
Old 19th November 2015, 10:25   #462

I checked with Fortune Motors, Navi Mumbai. The sales representative said there is no change in features or layout of seats in 400NM version. Will be available in VX trim. Only gearbox (now 6+1) and engine have been upgraded. Ex showroom/ on road (navi mumbai) price will be Rs. 12,80,000 / Rs.15,32,000 and Rs. 14,22,000 / 16,85,000 for 4*2 and 4*4 versions, respectively. Test drive vehicle has not arrived yet.
durgesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 11:24   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by durgesh View Post
I checked with Fortune Motors, Navi Mumbai. The sales representative said there is no change in features or layout of seats in 400NM version. Will be available in VX trim. Only gearbox (now 6+1) and engine have been upgraded. Ex showroom/ on road (navi mumbai) price will be Rs. 12,80,000 / Rs.15,32,000 and Rs. 14,22,000 / 16,85,000 for 4*2 and 4*4 versions, respectively. Test drive vehicle has not arrived yet.
Are you sure about the price? It seems lesser than the current price. I dont think TATA will reduce the price when they are plonking a new gearbox and engine combo.

--Anoop
Old 19th November 2015, 17:11   #464
BHPian

Just came back from a short test drive! And yes, it was indeed the Varicor 400!! I've clicked some pics but can't attach to the post now (from office); will attach when I am back home in the evening.

Disclaimer: I am no expert and my daily drive is a petrol Ritz, so please excuse if my observations do not make sense.

Boy, what a beast it is!! That 400 NM does make its presence felt in any gear. Consider this, we're 4 on-board, AC on full blast, and it took the incline climb, opposite In-Orbit Mall (Hyd people will know) in 3rd without a wimper! Left a similarly loaded Scorpio (middle gen) to bite the dust. It is indeed a 6 speed; and apart from the decal on wings and gear lever; couldn't make out any visual difference with the regular Storme. Sales rep confirmed, those are the only changes and this engine-GBox combo is only for VX models. I found the gearshift notchy and rubbery; needs a firm push to each slot. That said, all the gears engaged without protest. The vehicle was brand new with only 46 kms on the odo; Rep said mine was the first test drive! The clutch felt light by SUV standards and engaged in less than half travel (fully pressed). Brakes; felt like it lacked bite from the pedal feel but it did slowed/stopped without any close calls; does have a tendency to nose-dive though. Interestingly, people in front won't notice it that much as the ones in rear seat; reason I am saying this is when I pressed the brake repeatedly I could see the folks in the back bobbing up and down through the corner of my eye! It does have rolling tendency in corners but I could relate and adjust to it having gotten used to driving my tall boy! Again, never had any scary moment anywhere. The steering wheel, although the right diameter, could've been bit more meaty; I prefer fatter rims. Lastly, the drivers' seat view is to kill for; I'd just heard about the 'Safari Respect' on the road, just got a first hand experience of that and loved it! At the same time though, I'd a feeling of immense respect and responsibility towards it!

A big shout to Mr Abdul Khalique and Mr Satgun, from Venkatramana Motors, for arranging the test drive on the same day as promised; appreciate that! I just hope it stays that way until I make the decision early next year.

Last edited by avinash_m : 19th November 2015 at 17:14. Reason: added info
avinash_m is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 17:59   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The clutch felt light
The clutch is an all-new setup, It's Self-Adjusting type.

Quote:
does have a tendency to nose-dive though.
The rear brakes - are these disc or drum type ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks