Team-BHP - Honda Jazz : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Honda Jazz : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/165791-honda-jazz-official-review-14.html)

Do you guys think the petrol engine in elite i20 is better than the one in Jazz? I mean in terms of performance, reliability, drivability and refinement.

I'm looking to replace my 2008 i10 and the variants I have chosen so far are

1. Honda Jazz SV Petrol

2. Honda Jazz VX Petrol (+1 Lakh over SV)

3. Hyundai Elite i10 Asta Petrol (priced somewhere between SV and VX versions of Jazz)

I have selected these variants as these are the only ones that come with both passenger and driver airbags. Can't understand why manufacturers choose to give only driver side airbags on lower or mid variants. :Frustrati

If the petrol engine in elite i20 is better, then that's the best compromise for me. However, if the jazz engine is better then I will have a tough choice to make and it will come down to the cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 3748381)
Egad! A dummy cap that will always remind you what Honda didn't give you. No variant of the Jazz comes with an engine start / stop button. Come on Honda, even the Swift & Grand i10 get one now:

Excellent review ! I think this is a well packaged and immensely practical car.

A quick question would be that how much do people find this Start/Stop button useful ? It's there in my Xcent, and after the initial fancy I think it's not a big deal. For me it turned out to be a slight disappointment. I can't just turn off the ignition on a small halt and be at the accessory power to keep the music system going on. It turns power off completely, and then you need to poke that button again to restore power back.

Robby, on Xcent or Grand i10, you CAN turn the music system on.

Basically for starting ignition , you need to press the clutch and then press the Start Stop Button, BUT if you do not press the clutch and press the Start Button, it will power up the music system. Please try, it should work!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRXXX (Post 3750148)
2. Buy the Magic seats from Honda to retro fit to Jazz SV (or OEM fit to be precise)?

What are the cost and complexity implications of such a proposal?

I see it would be pretty difficult and definitely non-OEM (dealership) job, as it requires different mounts on which the back gets latched. Also the floor has two locks for the base to latch on to. I do not know how the non-magic seats are mounted but definitely it will be different. Also getting the magic seats will be a problem as Honda does not sell parts over the counter.

Since there has been enough bashing of how Jazz could have been better I would not get into it. Let me just share some thoughts being a Jazz owner, driver & care giver.

Trust me magic seats are really wonderful and I have used them a lot and it has hardly involved moving huge objects. Just the fact that these seats fold absolutely flat with flick of a finger helps. Me & my friends often end up folding the seat back flat and seating all together inside for a chat after a nice long drive. You can enjoy some snacks or just chat & relax.

if you intend to do this often go ahead and buy it, it will put a smile on your face every time you use it.

The way currents variants are build kitted, challenge is the moment you select a VX model you miss out on few features from V, and that can be painful and that for me is a challenge when I think of selecting a specific model.

Having said that it makes me happy that I have the previous version, and I am sure some of the our folks would agree with this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naikameya (Post 3750208)
I see it would be pretty difficult and definitely non-OEM (dealership) job, as it requires different mounts on which the back gets latched. Also the floor has two locks for the base to latch on to.

Thanks for your response!

Actually I was trying to address the problem of non-magic seats not having proper
under thigh support(in versions less than VX), Isn't it possible to get that corrected by some carving or stuffing and remodel the existing seats at a lower cost than going for VX version if all the magic seat layout is really not required for an user. I was especially thinking of an SV variant when I posted this.

True, I can see that retro-fitting magic seats might be quite involved... but be doable if Honda did use similar plug caps ;-) that they have used for start/stop button?? And the seats themselves can be sourced from Honda if they make it available?
OR
even better Honda build on the USP of Jazz make it atleast available as accesory please:

I agree with you on the advantages of flat folding rear seat.. I have had a car that featured all this and plus a lot more without even advertising that it existed. We have had enough camping trips where we have slept inside the car after flat folding. But 95% of Urban commuters might not even fold the seats :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulletboy76 (Post 3750205)
Robby, on Xcent or Grand i10, you CAN turn the music system on.

Basically for starting ignition , you need to press the clutch and then press the Start Stop Button, BUT if you do not press the clutch and press the Start Button, it will power up the music system. Please try, it should work!

That's not my actual problem. I usually turn off my car at traffic lights but would like to continue to have the accessory power without a break. Also if my family is in the car, and I've to get out for buying something, I just turn the key only back up to the accessory position in my old car. The music will continue without interruption. Here the problem is that, I can't do it seamlessly as is the case with key start systems. To stop the engine, I press the button and everything including accessory power turns off. You need to press that button again to bring the accessory power back. That's an unwarranted power cycle, and causes more trouble when bluetooth phones are connected. In key start systems, it's an intuitive sequence of power cycle - just how much you turn your key decides it all. In start/stop button even if this had to be made the way I like it, it would be awkward when I really wanted to turn entire thing off. How will you implement it ? Something like only a 'long press' turns off everything. Maybe?

I am trying to avoid an extra interruption in power to accessory systems, especially head unit. That's when you stop the engine and you know for sure that in the next couple of minutes you will start it back. I can avoid that in key start systems if I decided to turn the key back only up to accessory position when I turn off the engine. The next obvious interruption is when you crank the engine, and I can't avoid it (But that's perhaps possible in Zest as per it's Team-BHP review).

So I still believe, a missing Start/Stop button is not a really bad thing in Jazz. If there was a highest trim for a vehicle without this Start/Stop button I would opt for it - And Jazz seems to be exactly offering that.

Excellent review with interesting monologue!

I have been an admirer of Jazz which offers tremendous versatility and is an epitome of brilliant packaging. Loved the front looks, nose of new Jazz. Looks chiseled and funky.

Since Brio days Honda is on a wrong path and alas! it continues. I feel they are diluting their brand with cheap cost cuttings which are so obvious in Amaze and still not improved in "premium" hatchback Jazz. Heck, they haven't learnt their lesson completely.

I hope Ford takes a leaf out of this launch before launching next generation Figo and Aspire!

I see an opportunity here. People who feel i20 is overpriced, are disappointed with it's handling, steering etc; Figo can take this place after Jazz's disappointment.

It has been a great handler, VFM, brilliant steering, with decent space and build quality; it needs to take the things to next level by offering quality interiors which can compete Hyundai. And instead of Auto wipers, rear A/C vents etc I would be glad if they offer DCT, 6 airbags, ESP instead.

We, as consumers were paying a premium to buy a Honda. Reasons were:

# Premium feeling interiors
# Reliability, fuss-free ownership
# Badge

Now, since the past 3-4 years, other manufacturers have caught up on almost all counts and have exceeded in few.

Honda as Toyota lost the plot with cheap interiors & same family face. Toyota is making profits with Innova/Fortuner etc but Honda? Honda isn't resurrecting it, yet. Sure, they have taken a step ahead in the right direction, but Jazz was always a premium hatchback for us.

The issues with Honda is well documented as well Link

A car can have an issue, but it gets irritating and generates lots of negative mindset when the manufacturer doesn't reciprocate positively and doesn't sort out an issue. Honda lacks there as well.

The premium over Elite i20 would have been justified if Honda were to use better plastics, would have better sound insulation, better tires [you will lose money if you trade-in your brand new tires] and provide a wee bit more features. The lack of engine start/stop button's arrangement is something which is completely unexpected from a manufacturer of this repute in this day & age.

In petrol, I would pick the Jazz, just because I presume it will be nicer to drive. But then, we have the Swift & the Polo.

The design is good and in my opinion, will age better than the i20, but the other things might age fast.

If pricing was on par or the Jazz could justify its premium pricing, till then...an average seller at best.

5 Star review guys :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by roby.thomas (Post 3750284)
So I still believe, a missing Start/Stop button is not a really bad thing in Jazz. If there was a highest trim for a vehicle without this Start/Stop button I would opt for it - And Jazz seems to be exactly offering that.

It's not about the missing feature of Start/Stop button as everybody is okay without this feature. It's about the dummy button present on the dashboard which removes the premiumness of the product and creates a guilt feeling of cost cutting in the buyer's mind questioning his decision of buying a premium hatchback.

The review is excellent, pretty much the standard on our forum! However, if given a choice I would still pick the outgoing Jazz over this one. Not just because I own one, but also because I have always been a fan of simplistic designs. Not a big fan of edgy. Honda has spoilt and probably gone overboard with the design language of the new City, the international Civic and the Jazz.

I still miss the OHC - what a proportionate Honda that was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by classic86 (Post 3750186)
I'm looking to replace my 2008 i10 and the variants I have chosen so far are

1. Honda Jazz SV Petrol

2. Honda Jazz VX Petrol (+1 Lakh over SV)

3. Hyundai Elite i10 Asta Petrol (priced somewhere between SV and VX versions of Jazz)

I have selected these variants as these are the only ones that come with both passenger and driver airbags. Can't understand why manufacturers choose to give only driver side airbags on lower or mid variants.

Hi classic86, not sure if I am missing something, but since you have listed both SV and VX, why not Jazz V? It has almost every feature in VX and has some extra features as well, you will be missing only the spoiler, touch-screen AVN and magic seats + associated goodies in the V. But, V gets a lot of additional features compared to SV and definitely a good buy compared to SV. The comparison becomes very even considering Jazz V and i20 Asta are almost of the same price.

Today I went through the road test by Autocar India and it was quite funny to read. Check below, a copy paste from Autocar India site.

"As the Jazz diesel is the unproven entity, we’ll grant it its hearing first. Well, there is a lot we can hear actually. Honda’s i-DTEC engine is amongst the loudest around and in this application too, makes its presence known with its harsh, industrial noise. For what it’s worth, the engine noise seems marginally better damped than in the City thanks to more extensive use of sound-deadening material. But I still think Honda should consider offering noise-cancelling headphones on all models equipped with this engine, at least as an optional accessory!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vigkey (Post 3750335)
Hi classic86, not sure if I am missing something, but since you have listed both SV and VX, why not Jazz V? It has almost every feature in VX and has some extra features as well, you will be missing only the spoiler, touch-screen AVN and magic seats + associated goodies in the V. But, V gets a lot of additional features compared to SV and definitely a good buy compared to SV. The comparison becomes very even considering Jazz V and i20 Asta are almost of the same price.

I felt that the only feature worthy of the jump in price from SV to V was the alloy wheels. I can exist without some of the other features like automatic climate control and integrated turn indicators with electronic folding mirrors.

I could have chosen a lesser variant in i20 like Sportz/Sportz option but as I said, the airbags (two) were the reason I choose these trim levels. Nonetheless, completely agree with your point on the similarities between Jazz V and Asta i20.

I love the Honda Jazz. Love the last version, love this one too. Its just one brilliantly packaged car. Good that Honda is also focusing on the product by introducing more variants and engine options.

My parents are looking at buying a car and had asked them to wait for the Jazz. Now with the launch, they made the bookings, however, the dealers are acting up. They have no idea of delivery/colour etc which has cheesed off my parents.

They also visited Ford to check up the Aspire on display. They like it too. Apparently its as spacious as the Jazz and more premium looking interior. Test drives are not available yet nor is the pricing.

If a petrol auto as to be choosen, are the Jazz and Aspire both a good bet?

Has anyone got the Mumbai city pricelist . If anyone has then please upload the same here.