Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2017, 09:51   #2191
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
in case you want some inputs, might as well PM me
That would be defeating the purpose of an open forum, pal. If we all preferred to message each other for help, there would be no Team-BHP.

Remember, a PM helps one person; a public post helps thousands.

Request to please share all the inputs here on the thread itself. Thank you!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 09:54   #2192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
Not yet! Actually I'm still trying to decide, and confused between Baleno, Jazz and even Ciaz. I have a budget of max 10 Lakhs and looking for a reliable automatic. I know Ciaz is not in the same category as the other two, and I have no major requirement of a sedan, but I simply love it's exterior and premium looks, apart from the fact that it has much better space overall.
Any pointers?
Dear meetgds,

Thankfully, others have responded before I could!

Between the Baleno and Jazz, I would recommend the Jazz.

Ciaz - I have only driven the manual version. I liked it. However, I felt that the automatic technology is outdated one - just 4 gears. Maybe I am biased - but I would not recommend it. If they have come out with a 5 gear or more automatic box, then it is really tempting. Mind you - it is a sedan and has its own pros and cons with reference to the hatchbacks.

While you are at it - the budget would get stretched - but you can consider the City CVTs. If I had not been searching for a SUV, I would have bought a Honda City VX CVT. Super smooth aeroplane like ride.

I hope I have not confused you.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
Old 25th July 2017, 10:34   #2193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That would be defeating the purpose of an open forum, pal. If we all preferred to message each other for help, there would be no Team-BHP.

Remember, a PM helps one person; a public post helps thousands.

Request to please share all the inputs here on the thread itself. Thank you!
My only concern was that we shouldn't be talking about the Polo GT Tsi here as he didn't wish to take it into the comparison.
Usually don't interact over PM at all.
Old 25th July 2017, 10:56   #2194
BHPian

Hi,

Please don't completely write off the 4 speed AT in the Dzire. I have been driving one for more than 4 years now. It might be an old school, 4-speed torque converter, but then it is fairly smooth. I have rarely felt the gears changing except when I brake completely from a good speed and then try to gather speed. That is when the auto box is completely foxed and that would be true for CVTs also. One can see the RPM needle shooting with the engine trying in vain to catch up!

Anyway, torque converters are much more reliable when it comes to Indian city traffic conditions. The transmission oil change is at 1,65,000 kms and is completely fuss free. It is a 4-speed because the 2nd generation Dzire was never engineered (meaning space in the engine bay) for a 5 speed auto box anyway. The AT box was introduced as an after thought to preempt the arrival of the Amaze and Maruti never had a proper strategy for automatics 4 to 5 years back or they didn't care.

As far as fuel efficiency goes, I get around 11 in completely city conditions and 16 to 18 on the highways using the top-up method.

I haven't driven the CVT though. I will post a comparison when I drive one. I have been too lazy to take a proper test drive.

Thanks,

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post

Ciaz - I have only driven the manual version. I liked it. However, I felt that the automatic technology is outdated one - just 4 gears. Maybe I am biased - but I would not recommend it. If they have come out with a 5 gear or more automatic box, then it is really tempting. Mind you - it is a sedan and has its own pros and cons with reference to the hatchbacks.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan

Last edited by pradkumar : 25th July 2017 at 11:18.
pradkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 11:22   #2195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Hi,

Please don't completely write off the 4 speed AT in the Dzire. I have been driving one for more than 4 years now. It might be an old school, 4-speed torque converter, but then it is fairly smooth. I have rarely felt the gears changing except when I brake completely from a good speed and then try to gather speed. That is when the auto box is completely foxed and that would be true for CVTs also. One can see the RPM needle shooting with the engine trying in vain to catch up!

Anyway, torque converters are much more reliable when it comes to Indian city traffic conditions. The transmission oil change is at 1,65,000 kms and is completely fuss free. It is a 4-speed because the 2nd generation Dzire was never engineered (meaning space in the engine bay) for a 5 speed auto box anyway. The AT box was introduced as an after thought to preempt the arrival of the Amaze and Maruti never had a proper strategy for automatics 4 to 5 years back or they didn't care.
I think you got it wrong here. We're talking of Ciaz AT and not the Dzire. The Dzire comes with AMT and not the torque converter of the Ciaz. Both are different.

EDIT: Just realized, you're talking of the old Dzire and not the 2017 one. The old one apparently has torque converter indeed. My bad.

Last edited by meetgds : 25th July 2017 at 11:26.
meetgds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 13:22   #2196
BHPian

I've been driving the jazz CVT since last October, have done about 11000 kms in it and i can safely say that its probably the most practical automatic to drive inside town. The CVT is zippy enough to drive in city traffic conditions. It gets to 50/60kmph quicker than you would expect and i believe that's the fastest anyone can usually drive in a city considering speed limits. Its got acres of space in the back seat and an impressive boot. I don't use my other car inside town at all now. The jazz offers most of what a sedan would in terms of space. But if you want to use it as a highway car then i would strongly advice against it because quick overtaking is totally out of question even in the sport mode with paddle shift. Its a very comfortable cruiser and you need to be a very very sedate driver to not get frustrated. I drove up to ooty once and decided never to use it in the hills again as its just not the car for it. So overall if you don't drive out of town too often or have a different car for those trips then the jazz CVT is close to perfect. If not the Polo GT TSI is the one to get but compromise would be space and maintenance costs
zombiedriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 14:51   #2197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Hi,

Thanks,

Pradeep
Dear Pradeep,

You are most probably right. The possibility that I am biased definitely exists. I have driven AMT/AGS, CVT, DSG/DCT and proper AT transmission cars.

For smoothness of driving CVT was best, followed by DSG and then the AT and finally the AMT.

For fuel efficiency, I think the AT is the worst. All the other automatic transmissions are almost same. Again, experts can correct me. Also, driving conditions and driving style have too much of an impact to give credit/discredit to transmission!

I recommend CVT for smooth city traffic conditions. However, I am using Scorpio AT and it is not a slouch either. Maybe not as smooth as Jazz CVT - but except for the 1-2 gear shift, you cannot tell the gear changes. And even that requires special skills.

My normal suggestion - listen to all - then take a test drive - decide for yourself. Luckily, in my humble opinion, in India, we do not have a real bad car model. Now you have to find 'the one' for you! Simple na??

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 10:48   #2198
BHPian

Oops! I forgot to write the main point yesterday. I am getting old

The Jazz and City CVTs have a small torque converter also.

Quoting from Autocar:

Whereas CVTs are good for fuel economy due to a high final drive ratio, they are not that nice to drive. This is particularly true at low speeds, where the poor responses from the gearbox only slow reactions down.

Honda has solved this problem by introducing a compact and slender torque converter on this gearbox. This is the reason why driving the City at low and medium speeds is not really a problem. The torque converter keeps sending torque to the car, even at low and medium revs and as a result, engine responsiveness is good.

http://www.autocarindia.com/car-news...tomatic-394630

More the reason why you shouldn't dismiss torque converters completely!

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear Pradeep,

You are most probably right. The possibility that I am biased definitely exists. I have driven AMT/AGS, CVT, DSG/DCT and proper AT transmission cars.

For smoothness of driving CVT was best, followed by DSG and then the AT and finally the AMT.

For fuel efficiency, I think the AT is the worst. All the other automatic transmissions are almost same. Again, experts can correct me. Also, driving conditions and driving style have too much of an impact to give credit/discredit to transmission!

I recommend CVT for smooth city traffic conditions. However, I am using Scorpio AT and it is not a slouch either. Maybe not as smooth as Jazz CVT - but except for the 1-2 gear shift, you cannot tell the gear changes. And even that requires special skills.

My normal suggestion - listen to all - then take a test drive - decide for yourself. Luckily, in my humble opinion, in India, we do not have a real bad car model. Now you have to find 'the one' for you! Simple na??

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
pradkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 13:04   #2199
BHPian

Thank you guys. I'm more confused than before now
meetgds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 19:49   #2200
BHPian

Now that I have owned this car (Petrol V MT) for about 4 weeks, driven 1200KM and completed its first service, have few observations and questions to fellow Jazz owners.

1) I find the gear lever little rigid (or notchier if that's what it is called) even with the clutch pressed all the way in. Especially from 3rd to 2nd and 4th to 5th. Is it something which I should not be worried about for now because of the newness of the car?

2) This is my first MT vehicle and the gear shifting is little jerkier naturally due to my inexperience which I'm trying to improve. But when I drove my friend's Punto (a diesel), I found it extremely refined in terms of shifting and jerks. Again, I believe it's me who is the problem but wanted to know if others share similar opinion.

3) Does all variants of Jazz doesn't have an audible beep when locked from the key fob? I find audible beeps as a very useful cue when locking the car and find it sorely missing. Is it possible to add this as an accessory without voiding warranty?

Other Random Observations:

1) Jazz is amazing on highways. It's pretty much an automatic once 5th gear is set and traffic is fairly moving. Was pleasantly surprised as it was one of my apprehensions in getting a MT over AT.

2) Driving has been generally swift with 2 in the car but once rear passengers are on, the car is very sluggish to move and have to really push it around to move at a fair clip.

3) After the first service, found the ride back from service center extremely bumpy and the car tilting to one side on normal roads. Reached home and checked the pressure after about 6hrs and found that the service center had filled up the front and the rear driver tyres to ~47psi and the rear passenger tyre alone to 38psi!!! Had to deflate them to 34 and 32. That was plain irresponsible from the service center.

4) Had a rattling issue on the front passenger side which has went away on its own. Also had some trouble with parking brake lever which has gone away as well.

5) Tailgate is so flimsy compared to i20, Figo or Polo and never feel confident enough to slam it.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 27th July 2017 at 19:56. Reason: Typos
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 16:42   #2201
BHPian

After experiencing a magical Honda Accord ownership, I really wanted to buy the Jazz for my wife's commute - she now has to drop our 8 month old son to day care, go to office, pick him up and be back home. A car seat was a must.

The following features were critical:

1. AT hatch (non AMT) with a spacious back seat
2. ISOFIX anchors for the child seat. The fit is far superior to seat belt systems.
3. Request Sensors on both sides. Keyless entry preferred. Carrying baby on arm, diaper bag in the other...fumbling for keys is a real pain.
4. Reverse Camera
5. 60/40 rear seat split in case we're carrying the entire travel system (Baby seat plus stroller)

Called Honda and realized several of the above boxes aren't ticked. Booked the Baleno Alpha CVT a day after the announcement last week.

Wake up Honda!
d_himan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 23:48   #2202
BHPian

Left Front headlight conked and required a mandatory change, as fellow roadies started to mistake me as an auto in the night.

Changed to Philips White Light Essential Vision (H4 12V 100/90W), also added Quaden HID Foglight kit to make it in synch. Putting some pics showing the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-car1.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-car2.jpg  

Last edited by itzvicky201 : 30th July 2017 at 23:49.
itzvicky201 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 11:44   #2203
BHPian

Has Honda released any software update for the VX trim AVN? I will be surprised if they do - they asked me to purchase INR 500 update from MapMyIndia for the navigation. The system continues to be extremely buggy and slow.

Is there any unofficial software update available for that system?
Old 31st July 2017, 19:49   #2204
BHPian

Can anyone give me an approximate cost for 20,000 kms service interval?

Checked with Saphire Honda - Bangalore, they are quoting a 9500 + taxes.

Their list covers a few below, which I could remember:
1. Wheel Balancing
2. Oil Change
3. Replace Air Filter
4. General Servicing for 20k.
5. Top up liquids (Brake Oil, AC coolant etc).
Old 31st July 2017, 22:23   #2205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzvicky201 View Post
Can anyone give me an approximate cost for 20,000 kms service interval?

Checked with Saphire Honda - Bangalore, they are quoting a 9500 + taxes.

Their list covers a few below, which I could remember:
1. Wheel Balancing
2. Oil Change
3. Replace Air Filter
4. General Servicing for 20k.
5. Top up liquids (Brake Oil, AC coolant etc).

Petrol or diesel?

Assuming yours is diesel and I own diesel amaze which comes with same engine, 9500+ taxes seems high.

According to manual 20000 km service requires following things to be changed,
1. oil - rs 2005
2. oil filter - rs 426
3. air filter - rs 295
4. fuel filter - rs 1323
Labour rs 1800 approx (all pre gst prices).

Also you can check service cost at http://hondaservices.hondacarindia.c...alculator.aspx

Balancing and alignment can be done outside at cheaper rates.

Most Viewed