Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2019, 22:50   #2551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I believe I have only had one instance of having a puncture so far. I used the ResQTech air inflator to fill pressure back up and got the offending nail removed from a nearby store some time later. In the absence of such an option, yes I will have to use the spare tire and keep speeds low till I can get the problem addressed.

Thanks Neil. So would you recommend a 195/60 R15 upgrade or 185/65 R15 upgrade for the 4 types and keep the spare as OEM? I have done 42k and am heavily due for a replacement. My OEM is Bridgestone B250.
Old 17th May 2019, 07:55   #2552
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzvicky201 View Post
Thanks Neil. So would you recommend a 195/60 R15 upgrade or 185/65 R15 upgrade for the 4 types and keep the spare as OEM? I have done 42k and am heavily due for a replacement. My OEM is Bridgestone B250.
I'll suggest the 195 / 60 R15 tire upgrade for the Jazz (one reason being its closer to stock while the 185 65 R15 raises the height a bit more), the steering gains some feel which can be invaluable especially on highway rides. There are a ton of great options in the market from Yokohama, Michelin, Continental, MRF (Perfinza), honestly you cant go wrong with any of them. If the spare is unused, you can keep it as is if it isnt too old. I cant recommend the ResQTech air inflator enough, it can be a very handy tool as punctures can happen at the most unexpected of times. I always have one in the car and carry one with me if I am touring on my motorcycle.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 17th May 2019 at 07:58.
Old 17th May 2019, 09:25   #2553
BANNED

Do the seats have sensors? I want a black fabric seat cover for our (booked) V CVT. The official accessories have only art leather seat covers. The vehicles on display had only beige.

I remember reading somewhere here about seat sensors and after market seat covers. Can't trace that thread now. Any help will be appreciated.

Genuine leather seat covers cost a bomb as per the accessories list.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 17th May 2019 at 09:27.
Old 17th May 2019, 09:37   #2554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Do the seats have sensors? I want a black fabric seat cover for our (booked) V CVT. The official accessories have only art leather seat covers. The vehicles on display had only beige.

I remember reading somewhere here about seat sensors and after market seat covers. Can't trace that thread now. Any help will be appreciated.

Genuine leather seat covers cost a bomb as per the accessories list.
By any chance are you referring to the airbags instead of sensors? For cars that come with multiple airbags, you cannot put an after market cover on the seats. You can replace the beige fabric seats with after market black fabric seats on the V CVT as the car only has 2 airbags in the dashboard. Art leather will likely be sweaty in hot and humid Cochin and fabric covers instead would be a safe choice.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 12:16   #2555
BHPian

Quote:
I'll suggest the 195 / 60 R15 tire upgrade for the Jazz (one reason being its closer to stock while the 185 65 R15 raises the height a bit more), the steering gains some feel which can be invaluable especially on highway rides. There are a ton of great options in the market from Yokohama, Michelin, Continental, MRF (Perfinza), honestly you cant go wrong with any of them. If the spare is unused, you can keep it as is if it isnt too old. I cant recommend the ResQTech air inflator enough, it can be a very handy tool as punctures can happen at the most unexpected of times. I always have one in the car and carry one with me if I am touring on my motorcycle.

Thanks Neil, any noticeable impact to mileage, if we go for a different spec? I currently get 12kmpl in city.
itzvicky201 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 22:11   #2556
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzvicky201 View Post
Thanks Neil, any noticeable impact to mileage, if we go for a different spec? I currently get 12kmpl in city.
Itzvicky201, there will be a slight decrease but I am unable to quantify it since I havent driven the car for more than a few hours with the OEM tires. I usually get around 10 - 11 kmpl in Bangalore traffic and the 1 kmpl difference between what you get and what I do could be down to the traffic conditions and driving styles rather than bigger tires. For reference, Im attaching the long term mileage as calculated by the car for the last 7,750 odd kms.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-20190514_215945_hdr.jpg
Old 23rd May 2019, 21:22   #2557
Senior - BHPian

So I am about to complete first 1000kms and 1st service is due this weekend. Should I go for oil change? Usage is typically in-city 46kms on office days however planning a 600kms road-trip next month.

Till now the experience has been pretty pleasant except for a small issue with the digipad 2.0. It froze a couple of times but the music kept playing. Only after stopping and restarting the car it came back to life. Other than that no complaints. Consumed two tankfulls till now, currently on 3rd refill. Mileage has been 11.2(normal petrol) &11.7(Power) in last two tankfulls.

Any specific stuff that one needs to make sure in the 1st service?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd May 2019, 22:02   #2558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
So I am about to complete first 1000kms and 1st service is due this weekend.
Oil change - not needed

Digipad freezing issue - I have experienced the same from time to time. No display but music playing - typically cured by stopping, putting the car onto reverse to trigger the rear cam, then back to D. You may also experience the screen freezing while android auto is connected with the car in N, and then shifting to D. Typical workaround is to step on the brakes and shift to N->D, then connect your phone.

Nothing is performed during first service other than inspection of the car in general and a wash. IF you have any specific issues you may raise the same with the SA.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 09:11   #2559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
So I am about to complete first 1000kms and 1st service is due this weekend. Should I go for oil change? Usage is typically in-city 46kms on office days however planning a 600kms road-trip next month.

Till now the experience has been pretty pleasant except for a small issue with the digipad 2.0.

Any specific stuff that one needs to make sure in the 1st service?
I completed my first service of the City a couple of weeks back, and I decided to stick to the manufacturer recommended oil change schedule. In other words, I did not insist on an oil change, and I am none the worse for it. The car is running beautifully, and I can literally feel the engine components bedding in and the engine revving smoother and smoother by the day. I'll give it about 4000-5000 kms to really open up to its optimum performance levels. Honda really knows how to make some sweet petrol engines

I am of the school of thought that the manufacturer knows best how to nurture the engine it has built with its own hands - especially an engine as venerable and with such provenance as the 1.5 iVTEC. Hence, stick to the service manual unless extraordinary reasons to act otherwise exist. First service is purely for a nice wash of your car, and hopefully a Rs. 0 bill at the end of it.

As for the Digipad, I have faced no issues with mine, touchwood. Serves my simple purposes of music and bluetooth telephony just fine.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 24th May 2019 at 09:17.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 13:57   #2560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I am of the school of thought that the manufacturer knows best how to nurture the engine it has built with its own hands - especially an engine as venerable and with such provenance as the 1.5 iVTEC. Hence, stick to the service manual unless extraordinary reasons to act otherwise exist.
I agree that every manufacturer knows better how to nurture their engines but when it comes to Honda's approach, I am a bit confused. AFAIK, the earlier generations of Hondas required oil change every 3 months which was then improved slightly by making the intervals as every 6 months. But when Honda decided the interval for WRV to be 1 year whereas the Jazz still had a 6 month interval, I started wondering what kind of reasoning would be there for it. Both the Jazz and the WRV have the same 1.2l engine.
samcan123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 14:40   #2561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear Rahul,

For the kind of driving that you are doing, I am surprised that you were tempted to change the tyres so soon.
Anyway, Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the ride.

Sadly, we have not yet met up! So near yet so far....
Do keep us updated about the long term performance of the Continentals!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan

Yes Sir, we never met and we should plan something next time. Sorry I could not reply. I was busy searching accommodation and setting up my apartment in HYD.
I'll be in Hyderabad for a year and I am planning some more road trips this year. I usually drive for 300-350 kms at a stretch before planning for a halt. Sometimes if the roads are good I do not halt at all. ( Hyd - Bangalore stretch )

At 23k kms, only 3mm tire depth was remaining even though 70% of the mileage was covered on highways. Goodyear Triplemax wears out quite fast but the dry/wet grip is excellent. Comparing with Michelin XM1 that I had on my Ritz diesel ( 2011 ), I covered 45k kms in 15 months and 3mm was still left.

I was not confident enough whether these tires will sustain my highway riding style and along with very high outside temperature the chances of tire blast is very high with worn out tires. Some days temperatures reach 45-47 deg in my area. I experimented with 185/65 R15 but within 200 kms I reverted back to 175/65 R15 Contis. I opted for 185's for the added ground clearance which is quite useful when I travel to remote locations in Kerala. 185's provided a cushion like feel but it impacted handling and initial pickup. I really did not want to miss the pickup that the 175's provide.

If you ride in city most of the time, Goodyear Triplemax is a good option. It provides excellent grip on both dry and wet conditions. I think the grip level is similar to Contis / Michelins.

For Jazz CVT owners, please do not upgrade to 185/195. You lose the initial pick up that the default set up offers and it even affects the handling. I'm sure JAZZ I-Dtech owners will not find any issue with tire upgrades. Honda should launch a Jazz diesel CVT model and it will really be a fun hatch to drive around

Usually newer tires have 8mm depth. Does anyone know how much tire depth does a brand new Goodyear Tiplemax 175/65 have ?

Last edited by rahulskumar : 31st May 2019 at 14:42.
rahulskumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 14:53   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
I started wondering what kind of reasoning would be there for it. Both the Jazz and the WRV have the same 1.2l engine.

The only reason is to keep the service centers happy. Ideally if the car is not driven much there is no point in changing oil every 6 months.

Check their tag line
"At Honda, we continue to search for better ways to reduce our impact on the environment. That’s why from the reduced emissions of our plants to the “greener” life cycles of our products, our desire to preserve Blue Skies for Our Children plays a role in everything we do"

How on earth do they achieve this by asking us to change the engine oil every 6 months/ 10k kms ( whichever comes first ). See the impact Honda can make by correcting one term in their schedule "10k kms/ 1 year "

Last edited by rahulskumar : 31st May 2019 at 14:55.
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 15:25   #2563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
I agree that every manufacturer knows better how to nurture their engines but when it comes to Honda's approach, I am a bit confused. AFAIK, the earlier generations of Hondas required oil change every 3 months which was then improved slightly by making the intervals as every 6 months. But when Honda decided the interval for WRV to be 1 year whereas the Jazz still had a 6 month interval, I started wondering what kind of reasoning would be there for it. Both the Jazz and the WRV have the same 1.2l engine.
I think Honda received a lot of flak from owners of the Jazz who had to bring in their cars every 6 months for what was perceived to be far too many services. Hence when they launched the WRV with the same engine as the Jazz, they wisely moved to the more sensible 12 month interval. After my car went out of warranty, I stopped following the 6 month services and moved to an annual service schedule and get the work done at a competent FNG.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 15:53   #2564
BHPian

Quote:
After my car went out of warranty, I stopped following the 6 month services and moved to an annual service schedule and get the work done at a competent FNG.

Do you know where can we procure the Honda CVT transmission oil in Kerala ?
Old 31st May 2019, 16:27   #2565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
For Jazz CVT owners, please do not upgrade to 185/195. You lose the initial pick up that the default set up offers and it even affects the handling.
Just curious to know how the handling is affected if one upsizes to 195 section tires, specifically for CVT models.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks