Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2019, 22:28   #2686
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Can you please elaborate on the 1yr +1 yr warranty? My cars extended 4 year warranty is expiring this August 30th. Can this be bought separately even after the expiration of the extended warranty? I inquired my regular SA on this warranty and he has no idea.
Yes, you can if your vehicle has not crossed 1 lakh kms (within 7 years)
Check the rates here https://www.hondacarindia.com/anytime-warranty
Old 24th August 2019, 04:37   #2687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug:mush View Post
Well, you make some very good points there. I've tried holding the RPM below 2-2.5K but I am not going anywhere near 110Kms. Maybe the engine will improve once it reaches 10K Kms, maybe I am so used to turbo diesels that I am finding it difficult to drive a petrol. The truth is out there

My experience/ observation:

It is not so much the rpm as the backing off the throttle that is important in CVTs. Since this has not been implemented in software and is a common feature in all cvts I have driven, I think it has a mechanical cause.

I think of it like the derailleurs in cycles. If you keep pedalling while changing gears, the gear does not actually change. It only changes when there is slack in the chain.

This is by no means what happens in CVTs but the effect is the same. The CVT does not get into a 'higher gear' unless it senses that you are not going to accelerate further.

So back off the throttle- improves both mileage and noise.

Last edited by sridhu : 24th August 2019 at 04:39.
Old 24th August 2019, 09:00   #2688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I think of it like the derailleurs in cycles. If you keep pedalling while changing gears, the gear does not actually change. It only changes when there is slack in the chain.

Do you know whether Jazz auto transmission uses TC along with CVT ? I use OBD scanner to get real time fuel usage, when vehicle is just about to move the consumption is 20 lit for 100 kms i.e 5 km/l but at idle it just sips petrol. I'm still not able to make out when does the actual switch to CVT happen. Even at higher speeds when we drive around the ghat regions, I believe some mechanism does come into picture to prevent engine stalling and then engages CVT. I'm unable to find the correct technical documentation if it is TC or something else like a hydro static drive

Complete internals of Jazz auto transmission can be found here and it does mention "TORQUE CONVERTER CASE COM PONENTS (ATM-1) " " https://oriparts.com/47/740/71898/3502302 "

Last edited by rahulskumar : 24th August 2019 at 09:07.
Old 24th August 2019, 11:26   #2689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Do you know whether Jazz auto transmission uses TC along with CVT ?
I believe it does.

But cant find any better link than yours. However I do not understand where you are going with that line of enquiry- how does the presence or absence of a TC affect the "back off the throttle to get to top gear" behaviour?
Old 24th August 2019, 21:35   #2690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I believe it does.

But cant find any better link than yours. However I do not understand where you are going with that line of enquiry- how does the presence or absence of a TC affect the "back off the throttle to get to top gear" behaviour?

No, nothing to do with "back of throttle". I do not think "slack in chain" will happen at high rpms but I might be wrong. If there is a slack, the belt might even come off right. When we drive at highway speeds for a longer duration and if we suddenly decrease speed due to speed breakers, I do hear a minute engage/disengage sound just when we are about to provide more throttle , just wondering if this is the sound from TC to avoid engine stall or to rev match ( similar to a motion isolator ).

Last edited by rahulskumar : 24th August 2019 at 21:40.
Old 25th August 2019, 07:46   #2691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, nothing to do with "back of throttle". I do not think "slack in chain" will happen at high rpms but I might be wrong. If there is a slack, the belt might even come off right. ...
Sorry - I think I was not clear. I was likening it to the derailleurs and not suggesting that that is the exact mechanism in a CVT. My apologies if I had mislead you.

But easing off on the throttle does drastically change the instant & eventual mileage for the better. You can test it the next time you are on a freeway. I have.
Old 26th August 2019, 10:07   #2692
Senior - BHPian

5000kms update!!!

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20190826_073235.jpg

My car turned 4 months today and with it completed 5k mark. No major issue till now except for the usual Digipad 2.0 antics. Here are some observations till now:

Positives:
1. In-city mileage has settled at 11.5kmpl(T2T method) now. MID shows 12-12.2, so there's around 0.5-0.7kmpl error. Usually have 2-3 people onboard. I noticed this car ain't as sensitive as my previous maruti(estilo) to number of occupants. Estilo's mileage would take serious hit when number of occupant's increased from 2 to 3 or 4. Overall I am happy with this number considering the maruti returned 12.5-13.5 on same route with similar occupants.
2. Engine transmission is as smooth as ever without any surprises till now.
3. Ground clearance of 165mm seems sufficient for now with the slightly stiff suspension. With 4 people on-board doesn't really bottom out in any of those bangalore speed breakers, but I tend to be extra cautious. Wanted to go for spacers(Rogerab) , but decided against it for now considering it will affect suspension warranty.
4. Not too much of an audiophile , so the stock speakers(bass heavy) do the job for me.
5. Bluetooth & apple-carplay connectivity is flawless.

Negatives:
1. Android auto still troubles me. I used my friend's oppo phone's cable with which it worked fine for a couple of days , but then back to usual hiccups. Guess the problem is more with my phone's USB point than the cable. Anyways I don't use it much in city , so not a big issue for now.
2. Voice command seems pretty useless. Initially it used to pick my accent, but after 2nd service it barely picks up what I am trying to say. Will get this checked in the 3rd service.
3. Wish the engine had a little more grunt lower down the rev range. Would have been more enjoyable on highways. It takes its sweet time to build speeds & real fun starts only after 3k RPM, which I see only on highways . In bangalore I usually am restricted to 2k RPM

Last edited by SoumenD : 26th August 2019 at 10:14.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 17:54   #2693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
5000kms update!!!

1. Android auto still troubles me. I used my friend's oppo phone's cable with which it worked fine for a couple of days , but then back to usual hiccups. Guess the problem is more with my phone's USB point than the cable. Anyways I don't use it much in city , so not a big issue for now.
2. Voice command seems pretty useless. Initially it used to pick my accent, but after 2nd service it barely picks up what I am trying to say. Will get this checked in the 3rd service.
Congrats!!

Quote:
I too had this issue initially. When I bought the car, AA was frequently disconnecting for the first 2 weeks. I changed a couple of USB cables, now it is kind of ok. Never felt any issues of late. I was thinking it has more to do with the android app update, though.
Vishfull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 19:18   #2694
BHPian

Quote:
3. Wish the engine had a little more grunt lower down the rev range. Would have been more enjoyable on highways. It takes its sweet time to build speeds & real fun starts only after 3k RPM, which I see only on highways . In bangalore I usually am restricted to 2k RPM
I have both the variants at home. Have you tried the stick shift at low speeds, CVT is way way better. On highways, its the stick shift that rules with those precise throws. Some places in Trivandrum are hilly with steep slopes and the non-cvt version literally begs to be revved even in first. Even reverse gear does not have good torque. You wont find any of these issues with CVT. For stick shift, it has to be the diesel variants. Honda killed Jazz with the pricing.
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 10:54   #2695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishfull View Post
Congrats!!

I too had this issue initially. When I bought the car, AA was frequently disconnecting for the first 2 weeks. I changed a couple of USB cables, now it is kind of ok. Never felt any issues of late. I was thinking it has more to do with the android app update, though.
I will reserve my opinion till I try another phone maybe. But yeah one thing is for sure the Digipad 2.0 system is buggy. Not just AA, even the screen itself gets frozen at times. I faced it 2-3 times in last 4 months of ownership. A proper restart sorts the issue, but it can catch you by surprise on the go at times.
Quote:
I have both the variants at home. Have you tried the stick shift at low speeds, CVT is way way better.
No I didnt even bother test driving the stick-shift. Infact when I started looking out, Jazz was not even in contention. For stick-shift my choice was Freestyle(if super-tight budget) or Nexon. But the need of automatic led me to the premium hatches and the only Non-AMT choices were Jazz & i20 under 11L, latter being a guzzler ended up with Jazz

Last edited by SoumenD : 27th August 2019 at 10:55.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 12:20   #2696
BHPian

Quote:
Digipad 2.0 system is buggy. Not just AA, even the screen itself gets frozen at times. I faced it 2-3 times in last 4 months of ownership. A proper restart sorts the issue, but it can catch you by surprise on the go at times.
Have you tried the below approach?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The screen freezing issue mostly happens if the AVN unit is on while the car is in P mode, and then you move to D mode. To avoid this, move to D pressing the brake pedal, and then start Android Auto.

Also - in case you see a black screen but music is playing, park in a safe place, press the brake, move to R to display the backup camera, and then move to D. The screen should be displayed.
blackasta had mentioned this in another thread. Whenever my AVN gets stuck, I park my car somewhere safe and engage the Reverse gear for a second before moving it to D. It always works for me. Well, restarting the AVN could be easier than engaging reverse gear most of the times I guess

Last edited by ampere : 27th August 2019 at 21:22. Reason: Compacted
Old 27th August 2019, 20:51   #2697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishfull View Post
blackasta had mentioned this in another thread. Whenever my AVN gets stuck, I park my car somewhere safe and engage the Reverse gear for a second before moving it to D. It always works for me. Well, restarting the AVN could be easier than engaging reverse gear most of the times I guess
Ohh man too bad. My pioneer 5190BT is miles ahead. Why is Honda not acknowledging these issues. Did you ever raise complaint with Honda ?
I wanted to check with everyone, sometimes do you get outside smell in re-circulation mode ?

Last edited by rahulskumar : 27th August 2019 at 20:57.
Old 27th August 2019, 21:19   #2698
BHPian

Quote:
Ohh man too bad. My pioneer 5190BT is miles ahead. Why is Honda not acknowledging these issues. Did you ever raise complaint with Honda ?
To be frank, it does not happen regularly to get irritating. Or maybe I got used to it by now
Quote:
I wanted to check with everyone, sometimes do you get outside smell in re-circulation mode ??
I never had. But my car is just 3 months old.
Old 9th September 2019, 14:27   #2699
BHPian

Jazz VX MT (Petrol)

Have read through the thread and have made notes for Jazz petrol MT. We are looking for a petrol engine to replace a 11 year old Swift petrol which has run 85k kms. It has been serviced at authorized service center and been fuss free all these years. Due to incessant rains in Mumbai, it has developed a leaking issue and the repair cost is nearly a lakh. We already own 2 MS Dzire ZXI+ in the family and are looking to replace the swift with a near similar car which will stay good for a decade minimum.

Although most modern cars are very reliable, we are looking at one which shall be easier to maintain, less expensive to change wear and tear parts, does not visit the service center more than once a year for annual maintenance work and is easy to drive in busy Mumbai traffic.

The ivtec engine of Honda has been reliable and durable all these years. But have got mixed reviews on the expenditure to maintain it with spare costs been on a higher side, wear and tear parts to be replaced more often than other cars and rattles post 3-4 years of average usage. Owners especially who have been living with Jazz for a long time please help share few details taking our wish to keep it for 10 years in consideration.
Old 9th September 2019, 16:02   #2700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Jazz VX MT (Petrol)

The ivtec engine of Honda has been reliable and durable all these years. But have got mixed reviews on the expenditure to maintain it with spare costs been on a higher side, wear and tear parts to be replaced more often than other cars and rattles post 3-4 years of average usage. Owners especially who have been living with Jazz for a long time please help share few details taking our wish to keep it for 10 years in consideration.
I don't have any personal experience with the Jazz, but I do have 7 years worth of experience with the Brio that we own. The only part which has failed till date is the AC condenser, a few month back, and that was replaced at a cost of Rs. 8000. from Bosch service centre. No other part has failed - touchwood, and servicing costs have been as reasonable as the Swift that I owned between 2012 and 2019.

Therefore, engine - wise and basic mechanicals wise, there should not be any huge or alarming costs that you should be apprehensive about, in the course of ordinary wear and tear over the life of the car. No rattles as such on the Brio as well, and the little car takes bad roads like a champ.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks