Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2020, 19:40   #2866
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
1. TVM - HYD : 1320 kms in a day ( 17.2 kms /lit )

2. HYD - Kollur ( via Anantput ) : around 850 kms ( 15.5 kms /lit ) 3 people with luggage.
Roads from Shimoga and some stretch from Anantpur were broken in between but manageable.

3. Kollur - HYD ( via Mangalore - Bangalore ) : 1100 kms in a day ( 16.5 kms/lit )

4. HYD - TVM ( via Madurai - Nagercoil ) : 1325 kms in a day ( 18.1 kms/lit ) . Mileage was hovering around 18.5 till I reached Nagercoil. Single person with plenty of luggage with 2 spare tires, 195/60 rear tires , 175/65 front . Car crossed 50000kms yesterday in 3.5 years. The vehicle had covered just 1000 kms in the first year.

What speeds do you drive to get such good mileage? I have a VX Petrol Jazz too, and even on highways , with a/c always on, the best I have got was around 16.5-16.8 kmpl on HYD-BLR road, with 3 passengers and luggage. I drive around 90-100kmph typically.

Wonder what other mileage other petrol Jazz users are getting.
Old 22nd November 2020, 20:01   #2867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
What speeds do you drive to get such good mileage? I have a VX Petrol Jazz too, and even on highways , with a/c always on, the best I have got was around 16.5-16.8 kmpl on HYD-BLR road, with 3 passengers and luggage. I drive around 90-100kmph typically.

Wonder what other mileage other petrol Jazz users are getting.
I drive between 90 to 110. Moreover I try to make sure rpm is around 1850 which is the sweet spot for this engine. If I drive above 2200 , it falls down to 16-17.

My car has been driven mostly on highways. I always fill petrol from reputed coco pumps. More than the restaurant, before leaving I manage to mark the good petrol pumps on the way.

My car does not have paddle shifters. A year back I had interacted with a owner who had similar variant of Amaze , he also informed me similar mileage. He could even extract above 20 on some runs. I think most of the owners have V cvt and might be using paddles . Have you tried driving without paddles and are you on stock tires ?

Last edited by rahulskumar : 22nd November 2020 at 20:06.
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 20:11   #2868
BHPian

Quote:
I drive between 90 to 110. Moreover I try to make sure rpm is around 1850 which is the sweet spot for this engine. If I drive above 2200 , it falls down to 16-17.

My car has been driven mostly on highways. I always fill petrol from reputed coco pumps. More than the restaurant, before leaving I manage to mark the good petrol pumps on the way.

My car does not have paddle shifters. A year back I had interacted with a owner who had similar variant of Amaze , he also informed me similar mileage. He could even extract above 20 on some runs. I think most of the owners have V cvt and might be using paddles . Have you tried driving without paddles and are you on stock tires ?
I have VX MT, still on stock tyres. I keep my RPM around 2000 usually. I make sure the tyres pressure is maintained as per manual before any highway ride.
sanchari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 21:05   #2869
BHPian

Quote:
I have VX MT, still on stock tyres. I keep my RPM around 2000 usually. I make sure the tyres pressure is maintained as per manual before any highway ride.
Okay I get it now, then that's the usual mileage we get on my Uncles Jazz E MT. We can get good mileage only if we drive around 80. CVT makes the engine run at lower rpm and we will clearly see an impact on mileage. Even the city CVT gives better mileage then WRV and City manual on highways. If the car is driven inside city all the time, while driving on highways give it some time to really open up.

Last edited by rahulskumar : 22nd November 2020 at 21:09.
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 02:08   #2870
BHPian

Quote:
Jazz CVT does 100kmph at 1850rpm? My Jazz V MT iVTEC is generally at 2900-3000rpm at 95-100kmph in 5th gear, it always has been I think. I use only Shell or BP CoCo fuel and do all the periodical maintenance on time.

Now I wonder if it's just the difference in the transmission or if it's only my car. CVT always is going to maintain an ideal gear ratio in its unlimited gearing but a 1200rpm difference? i I always thought that for a 1.2L which revs high, 3k is to be expected at 100kmph.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 23rd November 2020 at 02:10.
Old 23rd November 2020, 02:20   #2871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Jazz CVT does 100kmph at 1850rpm? My Jazz V MT iVTEC is generally at 2900-3000rpm at 95-100kmph in 5th gear, it always has been I think. I use only Shell or BP CoCo fuel and do all the periodical maintenance on time.

Now I wonder if it's just the difference in the transmission or if it's only my car. CVT always is going to maintain an ideal gear ratio in its unlimited gearing but a 1200rpm difference? i I always thought that for a 1.2L which revs high, 3k is to be expected at 100kmph.
That’s correct. CVT jazz is at sub 2000 rpm @ 100kph as usually its at 7th step when driven sedately. And it returns great mileage. Tried it on NH44 and have seen 19-20kpl on MID. However since manual has 5 gears, rpm is much higher. In sports mode if one’s using paddleshifters while gunning it, RPM would be around 3000 at 5th step & eventually mileage takes a hit.

Last edited by SoumenD : 23rd November 2020 at 02:23.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:53   #2872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Jazz CVT does 100kmph at 1850rpm? My Jazz V MT iVTEC is generally at 2900-3000rpm at 95-100kmph in 5th gear.
If I can recollect, rpm would be around 2800 when driven at 100. Depends on load factor also. E MT is barebone and this model does not even have basic central locking. We installed one recently and it has been giving issues. Most of the time the E MT displays FE hovers around 18.5-19.5 as we are riding in the 60-70 speed zone. On single lane highways this speed is decent. This car does Kollam-Trichur (around 500 kms to and fro ) every weekend and odo just crossed 70k kms. FE really depends on the engine rpm. At 70, rpm is less than 2000.

Another way to increase FE is to lower the air intake, I had posted pics few months ago. Especially for MT you will definitely see improvement in low end torque and FE but this makes the engine a bit noisy and even hits the top speed. Its like using K&N without affecting the filtering

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
That’s correct. CVT jazz is at sub 2000 rpm @ 100kph as usually its at 7th step when driven sedately.
While using paddles, does it show 1-7 for Jazz ? I do not recollect the number of steps in city with paddles. Usually I do not ride city much as the cvt whining sound is more prominent (which may be due to rev matching with the powerful engine ) and this irritates me a lot. Usually we relate the power with the noise coming from the engine bay, here whining sound is prominent but the car takes its own sweet time. It may be quicker than Jazz cvt but somehow felt cvt does not match City's character and feels way disconnected.

Last edited by rahulskumar : 23rd November 2020 at 08:00.
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:06   #2873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While using paddles, does it show 1-7 for Jazz ?
Yeah. That’s the whole fun of paddleshifters. It shows each step(S1-S7) and holds the revvs as long as you want giving you a feel of manually controlling gears.

Even in D mode if you flip the paddles, it shows the step for a split second but then it doesn’t hold revvs and CVT takes over the shifts.
SoumenD is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:59   #2874
BHPian

Nearly 1.5 - 2 years ago, on this same thread, I had painfully shared about a long journey to the Western Ghats on my Jazz, where I struggled to maintain speeds above 80km/hr. Back then, the car was a week old and hadn't been run-in. My family who wanted me to buy the Creta, were funnily mocking me on my decision with Jazz and this trip with them didn't help one bit After returning home, I decided to use Jazz strictly as city car and within few months got a Crysta for our highway drives.

12,000 kms later, yesterday, Jazz went on its second long drive. This was a family drive to a small town near Hassan totaling around 450 KMS. I am happy to share that the drive left all of us very surprised as I was able to maintain a speed of 100-120km/hr easily. Though rubber band effect was evident, engine felt quick and sounded sporty. Icing on the cake was the average mileage of 18.1 KMPL (as per MID). I was also able to effectively use the paddle shifters for engine braking and cruise control was put to good use. I now believe, more than any other car that I know off, Jazz requires a proper run period to optimally perform.
mug:mush is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 19:05   #2875
Senior - BHPian

My CVT’s 18 month service is due in a couple of weeks. I had oil change in my last service post which car has run only 700kms in last 5.5 months(thanks to covid & wfh). So is it required to go for oil change again as per schedule defined by Honda? My car is under warranty, so not sure if I should stick to the scheduled oil change to keep it intact
Old 24th November 2020, 19:42   #2876
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My CVT’s 18 month service is due in a couple of weeks. I had oil change in my last service post which car has run only 700kms in last 5.5 months(thanks to covid & wfh). So is it required to go for oil change again as per schedule defined by Honda? My car is under warranty, so not sure if I should stick to the scheduled oil change to keep it intact
Well, to keep your warranty intact, you ought to stick to the service schedule. It's as simple as that.

Further, time and use both have a degrading effect on these essential fluids in our cars - but I doubt that anyone here can definitely tell you anything eitherway. Only Honda knows whether the 6 months interval is really necessary or if it was a Honda bean counter's idea to gain after sales service revenues by enforcing the 6 month service interval.

Are there any out-of-warranty Jazz owners here and how are their cars faring, in case they have chosen to wait longer than 6 months with similar levels of disuse?
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 20:10   #2877
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

Are there any out-of-warranty Jazz owners here and how are their cars faring, in case they have chosen to wait longer than 6 months with similar levels of disuse?
I have a 3 year old car, had run 48000km before the lockdown. Since the lockdown in march though, it has run only 2000km. I have been following the once a year service and oil change and have had no issues. I rotate the tires and follow all instructions in the service manual through a FNG and have faced no issues. Besides, the Honda ASS in my city is in shambles and are basically staffed by crooks with very few exceptions.
handsofsteel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:08   #2878
BHPian

Quote:

My 4.5 year old Jazz too has done only around 2000 kms since March. The Honda dealers called me few times in Aug/Sept saying my service is due. I had got my service done in late Feb, and hardly used it for 500kms when they called. So decided to not go for service. I checked the oil levels and they look good. It has still run only 2000kms since my last service. Have another HYd-BLR trip planned, and will get service done post that.

My oil levels look good, and oil also looks good (no black sludge, still has some look as new oil). So I think I can push it for another month.
Old 25th November 2020, 06:47   #2879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
The mechanic quoted the same example. Honda recommends most of its cars oil change every 6 months. He says a honda petrol car which has had timely periodic service is much unlikely to loose freshness of engine, let alone engine failure, even after a decade of use. And the service interval has lot to do with it.
Quote:
Since your car is still under warranty, I’m afraid you’re legally bound by Honda to perform the 18 month service on schedule (even though in your case, I’d gladly defer the oil change to 1yr due to extremely low running). Don’t forget to check the Honda website for a rough estimate on the service cost, so that they don’t rip you off at the ASC.

See quoted text above, to know why it’s important to change the oil in your car regularly when you do resume your high running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
I have been following the once a year service and oil change and have had no issues. I rotate the tires and follow all instructions in the service manual through a FNG and have faced no issues.
It doesn’t matter where you get the service done, as long as you follow the service manual & the mechanic is skilled/competent.

Quote:
My oil levels look good, and oil also looks good (no black sludge, still has some look as new oil). So I think I can push it for another month.
Sure, as long as you don’t cross the 1yr limit. Since your running is less than 5000kms, it won’t hurt if the oil change/service is deferred till after your trip.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 25th November 2020 at 06:53.
Old 1st December 2020, 23:39   #2880
BHPian

Quote:

Hi my Jazz 2016 SV MT warranty got over in February 2020 and I didn’t extend it till November 2020. The car was due for service in October 2019 and I had kept on postponing the service as the car had run for barely 4000 kms. The car if maintained well and driven single handed, would not create any fuss for the owner. I have done 40000 kms service with ODO at 35000 kms and purchased Honda’s anytime warranty for one year for ₹8300 from Dakshin Honda, E City, Blr. I was shocked with a bill of ₹11,300 excluding the anytime warranty charge. Ford’s service cost for 40000 kms diesel cars are sweet ₹5000.

Off late I have experienced that with a full load of 5 people onboard the car is gasping. I think the puny 1.2 is the culprit here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks