Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
3,282,165 views Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2022, 20:53   #3151
BHPian
 
saisree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: TN-11, AP-03
Posts: 900
Thanked: 2,297 Times
Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Remote key doesn’t work

My Jazz’s remote key stopped working after 7 years. Assuming it to be a dead battery took it to a watch mechanic to replace the battery. But the battery seems to be perfect and his test LED light was bright. It’s the battery that came with the key.

When pressing the Lock button, car lights blinks thrice but no action. unlock button doesn’t do anything. Did anyone face such issue?

Last edited by saisree : 8th October 2022 at 20:55.
saisree is offline  
Old 9th October 2022, 00:15   #3152
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WB 26
Posts: 3,404
Thanked: 2,904 Times
Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Today I took out my 2018 Jazz VX after 7-8 days, and the reverse parking sensors are not working. There's no beeping noise.

Not sure what the reason is, may be some loose wiring, rat bite in wiring or broken speaker module (as dbhpian sstraveller suggested to me that all 4 sensors failing together is very rare, and the reverse gear sensor failure would have caused the reverse lights and the reverse parking camera to also fail, but they are working fine).

Guess I have to take the car to the service center soon to find out the reason !

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Remote key doesnít work

My Jazzís remote key stopped working after 7 years. Assuming it to be a dead battery took it to a watch mechanic to replace the battery. But the battery seems to be perfect and his test LED light was bright. Itís the battery that came with the key.

When pressing the Lock button, car lights blinks thrice but no action. unlock button doesnít do anything. Did anyone face such issue?
1. Did you try with the second remote key if the car is locking / unlocking?

2. Did you actually replace the battery in the key and try, or just took the mechanic's word that the battery is alright?

3. Is there a key battery replacement sign visible on the MID?

IMO 7 years is overdue for battery replacement.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 07:56   #3153
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 1,944 Times
Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
Update: Went for a highway drive.

(Android Auto would be required for navigation etc. which requires wired-connectivity. Personally I am not sure why many folks complain about this, as it takes 2 seconds to connect the cable, and also keeps your phone charged that way!)
Thanks for the update!

If you have a grown up kid or an adult from the family in the back seat, choice of songs are usually decided / dictated from the back seat.

With Amazon music, Gaana or Sportify, it is very convenient to have the mobile phone in hand and stream what one wants. Mobile phone simply acts like a remote. That is the reason wireless CarPlay / Android auto is preferred.

Wireless CarPlay / Android auto, should be coupled with wireless charger to become more convenient.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 9th October 2022 at 07:58.
Chethan B G is offline  
Old 9th October 2022, 09:19   #3154
BHPian
 
saisree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: TN-11, AP-03
Posts: 900
Thanked: 2,297 Times
Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
1. Did you try with the second remote key if the car is locking / unlocking?

2. Did you actually replace the battery in the key and try, or just took the mechanic's word that the battery is alright?

3. Is there a key battery replacement sign visible on the MID?

IMO 7 years is overdue for battery replacement.
Mine is the first copies of Jazz brought during the reintroduction in 2015. This variants of Jazz has only one remote key and the other is just the old school key with immobiliser. MID doesnít know if there is a key. Tried replacing the battery with the new one and itís the same.

Hoping there is no short circuit causing this issue. Have to take it to ASC.
saisree is offline  
Old 9th October 2022, 10:28   #3155
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 15,595
Thanked: 15,315 Times
Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Assuming it to be a dead battery took it to a watch mechanic to replace the battery. But the battery seems to be perfect and his test LED light was bright. Itís the battery that came with the key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
2. Did you actually replace the battery in the key and try, or just took the mechanic's word that the battery is alright?.
When a remote is not working, and especially with an old battery, the first thing one can do (assuming one is at home and has the second remote handy) - is to swap the battery and check.

This way, the first level diagnosis is completed. The battery in the second remote would be as old as the one in the primary key. If it is the battery, then the primary /in-use remote will work again, and we get put the other old battery to use. A replacement battery can be put in to the second remote.
condor is offline  
Old 9th October 2022, 10:45   #3156
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Pune
Posts: 85
Thanked: 269 Times
Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Thanks for the update!

If you have a grown up kid or an adult from the family in the back seat, choice of songs are usually decided / dictated from the back seat.

With Amazon music, Gaana or Sportify, it is very convenient to have the mobile phone in hand and stream what one wants. Mobile phone simply acts like a remote. That is the reason wireless CarPlay / Android auto is preferred.

Wireless CarPlay / Android auto, should be coupled with wireless charger to become more convenient.
I was under the same impression, but discovered that Android Auto is not required for the use cases mentioned above. Just add your phone as a Bluetooth device from infotainment system settings, as a one-time activity. Post that, rear passengers only need to use that phone and that's it. The phone speaker and mic are connected to infotainment speaker and mic respectively, and we could seamlessly use YouTube, YouTube Music, Amazon Music etc. only using the phone (and received some intermittent phone calls as well). Android auto was not required for any of these.
jaysheth is offline  
Old 9th October 2022, 12:25   #3157
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 1,944 Times
Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
I was under the same impression, but discovered that Android Auto is not required for the use cases mentioned above. Just add your phone as a Bluetooth device from infotainment system settings, as a one-time activity. Post that, rear passengers only need to use that phone and that's it. The phone speaker and mic are connected to infotainment speaker and mic respectively, and we could seamlessly use YouTube, YouTube Music, Amazon Music etc. only using the phone (and received some intermittent phone calls as well). Android auto was not required for any of these.
And how do you attend to phone calls, if you receive any on the phone connected to Android auto / Apple CarPlay?

If you need to connect to google maps via Android Auto/ Apple CarPlay and use the same connection for phone calls too, you will have a problem. Otherwise not.

Travelling with family on pure leisure trips are different from travelling with family with occasional work related activities.

There are several ways to use the connection. There can be work-around solutions too. But it wonít be fool proof. End of the day, if something works for you, that is good enough.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 23:15   #3158
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WB 26
Posts: 3,404
Thanked: 2,904 Times
Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Today I took out my 2018 Jazz VX after 7-8 days, and the reverse parking sensors are not working. There's no beeping noise.

Not sure what the reason is, may be some loose wiring, rat bite in wiring or broken speaker module (as dbhpian sstraveller suggested to me that all 4 sensors failing together is very rare, and the reverse gear sensor failure would have caused the reverse lights and the reverse parking camera to also fail, but they are working fine).

Guess I have to take the car to the service center soon to find out the reason !
The problem resolved by itself when I took out the car this morning, and did not re occur throughout the entire day. Another one of the digipad gremlins maybe?
blackasta is offline  
Old 11th October 2022, 08:58   #3159
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4
Thanked: 83 Times
Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
And how do you attend to phone calls, if you receive any on the phone connected to Android auto / Apple CarPlay?
I have connected my phone via bluetooth and Android auto. Here are my observations.

Bluetooth: The Bluetooth connection is flawless. It gets connected as soon as we start the car and even starts playing songs(from the last played song). The call quality is good with this connection because it uses the car's microphone and speaker.

Android Auto: I have no problem with wired Android Auto connectivity; I simply plug in the wire and leave it in the centre console to charge. Google maps and YouTube music work well with AA.
There is a remote provided in my ZX variant, which works with Android Auto, and the rear passengers can change tracks or adjust volume with this. (We only used it once; I usually control the playlist with the steering wheel controls.)

However, there are a few issues I face from time to time with AA*
1. When connected to Android Auto, the car's microphone is not in use. Hence, I have to use my mobile phone as the microphone, along with car speakers (for Google Assistant and answering calls).
2. When Google maps is projected on the screen and I try to open apps such as YouTube music / Amazon music, The connection fails with a "session not connected" message displayed

The overall sound quality of Android Auto is better than Bluetooth. When we play a song via Bluetooth and switch to Android Auto, we can notice a good difference in the sound quality. It gets visibly louder and the quality is richer.
zuheb04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 19:21   #3160
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 128
Thanked: 222 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
Update: Went for a highway drive (Pune-Talegaon-Lonavala-Talegaon-Pune, through old highway) and covered 106 kms today.

Today, I deliberately stuck to Manual/Sports mode throughout the drive, and without using cruise control. The reasons were manifold:
[*]However, since the S mode downshifts so early and never upshifts on its own, you have to remember to upshift each time. More often than not I found myself driving in one or two lower gears than my usual habit. For instance, after the speed breakers, I had to remember to upshift from 1st to the 2nd (or even 3rd) gear. Whenever I forgot to act, I was forced to drive with heavy throttle inputs, just to quickly realize I needed a manual upshift!
Very happy with the decision of having bought (a) a Honda, (b) "the" Jazz, (c) the CVT gearbox and (d) the VX variant. Yes folks! This is October 2022 and I mean it!
Thanks for sharing your detailed experience. However, i have found that even in S mode, the CVT GB upshifts after it reaches a particular rpm, which is in redline area. To test this out, i tried not to upshift from S3, but the car automatically did upshift to S4 around redline (not sure about the speed, but, it's north of 100+ for sure). After your first service, kindly check this out yourself. You can also try revving it in S4 long enough and check when it upshifts. Please share your experience.

Happy driving

Regards, Vikram

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
Update: Went for a highway drive (Pune-Talegaon-Lonavala-Talegaon-Pune, through old highway) and covered 106 kms today. [*]To conclude, Sports mode is okay for occassional/fun drive, and it can come really handy when there are several demanding situations (AMTs, are you listening?!!). After this drive, I am very thankful for (a) having the really automatic D mode with this great CVT car, and for (b) having the cruise control. I would be much less physically tired and much less mentally so, the moment I would start using the D-mode and cruise control combo more and more.
Very happy with the decision of having bought (a) a Honda, (b) "the" Jazz, (c) the CVT gearbox and (d) the VX variant. Yes folks! This is October 2022 and I mean it!
Absolutely agree! The paddle-shifters are really a boon. The fact that they provide manual control to step-down/up even in the D mode really helps to control/adjust the speed as needed. In fact, many times on undivided state highways, i have used paddles to accelerate past slow-moving vehicles.
In S mode, it's even more fun to use these paddles and revv the engine to redline. At higher rpms, engine response is better.

I have no intention to offend fellow owners, but, just compare the erstwhile Baleno CVT (will not even bring the current Baleno with AMT into discussion) - it used to come with a button on gear selector to bring some sporty character; have used that for highway overtaking. To me, Jazz CVT is superior, more flexible (by offering manual control) and responsive. Combine this with space, safety, build quality and ride comfort - frankly, don't understand why Jazz doesn't get the numbers on sales chart...?

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th October 2022 at 17:14. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
VikramCS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 20:24   #3161
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Pune
Posts: 85
Thanked: 269 Times
Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramCS View Post
Thanks for sharing your detailed experience. However, i have found that even in S mode, the CVT GB upshifts after it reaches a particular rpm, which is in redline area. To test this out, i tried not to upshift from S3, but the car automatically did upshift to S4 around redline (not sure about the speed, but, it's north of 100+ for sure). After your first service, kindly check this out yourself. You can also try revving it in S4 long enough and check when it upshifts. Please share your experience.

Happy driving

Regards, Vikram
Interesting observation, Vikram. Thanks for sharing. Even if it upshifts that way though, it won't have much practical use, and on the other hand mileage would take a hit. For instance, if it drops to S1 after each speed breaker, it would be far better for the car, and for us, to manually upshift to S2, S3 and so on as we (re)gain momentum. D mode would really be best in such cases, as it upshifts on its own, and upshifts at the earliest opportunity.

About the first service (on a side note), I got a call from Honda dealer today and confirmed the appointment for 20/10. I was surprised that they do not do any oil change (they said it would be done only during the third service). From my little study here, I was under the impression that during very initial kms run of any brand new car, some metal particles of brand new components might get dislodged and get mixed in the oil, and therefore it is very important to flush out and fully replace the oil during the first service, to ensure smooth runs thereafter. Any expert opinion would be appreciated.
jaysheth is offline  
Old 12th October 2022, 00:33   #3162
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 1,944 Times
Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuheb04 View Post
I have connected my phone via Bluetooth and Android auto. Here are my observations.

Bluetooth: The Bluetooth connection is flawless. It gets connected as soon as we start the car and even starts playing songs(from the last played song). The call quality is good with this connection because it uses the car's microphone and speaker.
If you are comfortable with BT connection, I would suggest that you stick to it. You can have the google maps on your mobile when required and have the audio guidance through the car speakers. Voice commend will work too, through the steering control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuheb04 View Post
Android Auto: I have no problem with wired Android Auto connectivity; I simply plug in the wire and leave it in the centre console to charge. Google maps and YouTube music work well with AA.
There is a remote provided in my ZX variant, which works with Android Auto, and the rear passengers can change tracks or adjust volume with this. (We only used it once; I usually control the playlist with the steering wheel controls.)
If you have teenagers / grown-up children in the rear seat, basic remote will not be even touched. Now a days music is streamed and the play-list is constantly fiddled with. Children today are spoilt with choice and like to have complete control.

I have been using Apple CarPlay from the past 4-5 years; almost from the initial days it was introduced officially in the Indian automobiles. OEM interface / adaptation to the CarPlay has been continuously evolving and there is still a long way to go. Many features such as HUD or a steering mounted audio control., etc are not yet integrated with CarPlay seamlessly.

As I travel extensively for work, Google maps is always on the screen. Coupled with that, I like the message readout and other Siri features that are integrated with CarPlay. It is just that I am addicted to it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zuheb04 View Post
However, there are a few issues I face from time to time with AA*
1. When connected to Android Auto, the car's microphone is not in use. Hence, I have to use my mobile phone as the microphone, along with car speakers (for Google Assistant and answering calls).
Surprising! How do you know that the car's microphone does not work while using AA?

If the air-con vents on either side is closed, the center vents will push-out all the air and that induces a lot of noise. If the fan speed is high (4-5 bars) our voice will not be heard, as the microphone falls in the same vicinity. But this issue should effect both BT and AA.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zuheb04 View Post
2. When Google maps is projected on the screen and I try to open apps such as YouTube music / Amazon music, The connection fails with a "session not connected" message displayed
I use CarPlay. Absolutely no issues; works like a charm. Maybe, that is the reason I am hooked-on to it.

Try updating the OS on your Phone, if it is not up-to date. Also, check if the Alpine HU has the latest version of the firmware. Below is what I have and this has been verified to be the latest version.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-alpine-hu.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuheb04 View Post
The overall sound quality of Android Auto is better than Bluetooth. When we play a song via Bluetooth and switch to Android Auto, we can notice a good difference in the sound quality. It gets visibly louder and the quality is richer.
Same with CarPlay; Audio quality is much better that BT. But the wireless adapter reduces the quality since it does not have a pass-through function.

Enjoy and drive safe!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 12th October 2022 at 00:37.
Chethan B G is offline  
Old 12th October 2022, 14:20   #3163
BHPian
 
leadf00t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MH04
Posts: 438
Thanked: 14 Times
Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

My Jazz V CVT from 2015 has now hit 75K Kms and the rattle and vibrations point to suspension work. The car has covered 20K in the last year driving on mostly bad Mumbai - Thane roads.

I can now feel the original soft comfortable suspension feel is gone and every single road undulation is now filtered into the cabin.

Question for others who have hit similar mileage on their Honda Jazz. Replace suspension with OEM parts or look to upgrade?

If You recommend upgrade, what brands/spare should I look for?
The Jazz is already fairly nimble and as my name suggests, I don't have a light foot so do drive fairly aggressively . I don't want to compromise the comfortable road feel as Family is pretty used to the ride.

Suggestions??
leadf00t is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 09:33   #3164
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,815
Thanked: 8,406 Times
Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
My Jazz V CVT from 2015 has now hit 75K Kms and the rattle and vibrations point to suspension work. The car has covered 20K in the last year driving on mostly bad Mumbai - Thane roads.

I can now feel the original soft comfortable suspension feel is gone and every single road undulation is now filtered into the cabin.

Suggestions??
If you can feel vibrations at idle or at particular RPMs when in motion (basically if you find resonance occurring), you'd want to have the engine and transmission mounts looked at as well, in addition to the suspension.

At 7 years, your mounts might have worn out. I've seen two cars personally where changing the mounts solved the symptoms I've described.
locusjag is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 10:31   #3165
BHPian
 
leadf00t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MH04
Posts: 438
Thanked: 14 Times
Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
If you can feel vibrations at idle or at particular RPMs when in motion (basically if you find resonance occurring), you'd want to have the engine and transmission mounts looked at as well, in addition to the suspension.

At 7 years, your mounts might have worn out. I've seen two cars personally where changing the mounts solved the symptoms I've described.
There are no idle vibrations. Infact , the engine continues to be super silent even when started, On Smooth tar roads i can barely hear the engine and with the Continental UC6 tires, road noise is minimal too.
The suspension just feels much harder. I am pretty sure the tie rod end ball joints have play, I can hear them.

I have no touch with the modification scene in India since returning from UK an year ago. Hence looking for suggestion now that the suspension work is due.
leadf00t is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks