Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2015, 09:10   #661
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyFunk View Post

Also recommend the armrest very highly. This is from aliexpress, costs about 36 USD delivered. The fit, finish and quality of the product is excellent.

Hi SneakyFunk,

can you please PM me the link of aliexpress from where you ordered.
I searched through, most of them are now are 55USd and quality isnt looking that good.
Old 2nd September 2015, 09:35   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
I am thinking of ordering the DRL's from the below link.

Any feedback and information on alternatives could be good. Please post.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-S...444_5,201409_1

Attachment 1409671

Attachment 1409672
i got these installed in my Jazz, they look ubercool. I sourced it locally and cost me about 7k. Also got Led Scuff plates. The DRl that i got , switches to orange blinkers when the indicator is engaged, basically one remains lit as white , wher as the other blinks orange along with the indicator, looks cool.

Last edited by s.prashanth : 2nd September 2015 at 09:37. Reason: adding more info.
s.prashanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:28   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
i got these installed in my Jazz, they look ubercool. I sourced it locally and cost me about 7k. Also got Led Scuff plates. The DRl that i got , switches to orange blinkers when the indicator is engaged, basically one remains lit as white , wher as the other blinks orange along with the indicator, looks cool.

Can you post pictures of your car with DRL?? Even i was planning to install them. Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 13:55   #664
BHPian

Now started seeing more Jazz in Chennai on the OMR. Jazz looks really big and at times, I mistake it for a Mobilio. Though not sure about the space inside, from outside it looks bigger than i20/Scross. With a potent engine for its class, hope Honda has improved (or regained) its quality check and brings smile on Jazz owners.

Honda actually need not reinvent for a cross over. Jazz is big. Just increase the GC, add claddings, a pair of roof rails, spare on the hatch. They have a premium cross over ready! Are they not planning it yet?
Forgot it add. They can also price it at par with City
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:28   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Many congratulations to you, my friend! I believe this is the first V that we have here so, would be great if you could compile an ownership report for all of us here

Wishing you a zillion happy miles and neon (just like her color) smiles for the years to come

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsdileep View Post
Congratulations and the color looks smashing. I think the armrest you got is VFM and will be very useful. You definitely jazzed up your Jazz's interior with that armrest.

Many Happy miles ahead and be safe.
Thanks guys for the lovely wishes. Honestly I do not have the patience to compose a full ownership review but I will be adding inputs regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Hi SneakyFunk,

can you please PM me the link of aliexpress from where you ordered.
I searched through, most of them are now are 55USd and quality isnt looking that good.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-Gen...302701971.html

That's the link from where I ordered the armrest. It gives you a few colour/colour of stitching options too.

As far as the CVT is concerned I'm really enjoying driving it. Its very refined and smooth. When driven sedately (which is my default style) I'm not experiencing any rubberband effect with enough power to overtake confidently. The paddle shifters work well too and are useful when overtaking.
The fuel economy is acceptable too with me getting between 13-14 in city with AC. A drive to work on Sunday with low traffic and a light foot yielded 17kmpl for a 32km round trip.(with AC again)
SneakyFunk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 20:19   #666
BHPian

I did a short test drive of the Jazz VX Diesel and I was really put off by the industrial sounding, loud engine note, particularly above 3000rpm! Everything else is fine.

Does anyone know what the rpm is when cruising on highways in 6th gear at 80kph and 100kph? Just want to check if music will drown the engine note when driving sedately?

Is there anyway to change the engine note - either through a remap (without affecting driveability or performance adversely) or exhaust or anything else?
anoop.mathew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 20:46   #667
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support: Do NOT TROLL on Team-BHP. Keep the negativity OFF THE FORUM.

Last edited by GTO : 4th September 2015 at 10:15.
gkoneti is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd September 2015, 22:11   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post
I did a short test drive of the Jazz VX Diesel and I was really put off by the industrial sounding, loud engine note, particularly above 3000rpm! Everything else is fine.

Does anyone know what the rpm is when cruising on highways in 6th gear at 80kph and 100kph? Just want to check if music will drown the engine note when driving sedately?

Is there anyway to change the engine note - either through a remap (without affecting driveability or performance adversely) or exhaust or anything else?
I don't think you understand diesel engine working quite so well.
The Diesel clatter is going to remain in spite of doing anything to it, may it be a remap or an exhaust.

The engine smoothens out at higher RPM's or when cruising down the highway and is barely audible over the wind noise and music in the background!
The sudden torque and the soothing effect on the wallet is why anybody is opting for the IDTEC if not the Petrol would be the better choice.

Calling it industrial sounding is pretty harsh as most if not all of the Diesel engines behaves the same as the burning of the said fuel requires high compression ratios (knocking). Add to that emission and fuel efficiency benchmark set by the competition (as Vibration and Harshness is taken care of well) 'Noise' is an understandable logical trade off to the good overall packaging!

Last edited by GTO : 4th September 2015 at 10:16. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 3rd September 2015, 02:15   #669
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
I don't think you understand diesel engine working quite so well.

Calling it industrial sounding is pretty harsh as most if not all of the Diesel engines behaves the same as the burning of the said fuel requires high compression ratios (knocking).
The term "Industrial" is used even by reputed automagazines as well to describe the diesel engine noise in Jazz. Honda enthusiast or not, let's call a spade a spade. The guy is interested in the Jazz and is only put off by the engine note and is seeking suggestions. Why question his knowledge on diesel engines?

To Honda's credit, iDTec engine has many other positives like driveability and high fuel efficiency. But NVH is certainly not one of them.

Below qoute from AutocarIndia - (Source - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...on-396086.aspx)
Quote:
Well, there is a lot we can hear actually. Honda’s i-DTEC engine is amongst the loudest around and in this application too, makes its presence known with its harsh, industrial noise.

But I still think Honda should consider offering noise-cancelling headphones on all models equipped with this engine, at least as an optional accessory!
If you think all diesel engines clatter and sound similar due to high compression, its high time you paid a visit to the Hyundai showroom.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd September 2015 at 02:35.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 07:27   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

When I test drove the diesel, I think at 100 kmph, the tacho stays below 2000 rpm and the noise is quite less during this time.
Owners or anyone else can confirm.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 09:35   #671
Distinguished - BHPian

I got an email from Whitefield Honda saying that there has been a price hike by Honda effective 1st of September and prices are applicable at the time of registration / invoicing. No mention of the how much the price hike actually is. A sales call would've been nice.
Old 3rd September 2015, 13:07   #672
BHPian

Quote:
You need to adjust your driving style, it looks like you are driving it as one would a petrol car. Diesel engines have loads of low-end torque, the power band is between 1500 and 2500 and you rarely need to go up to 3000 rpm for extended times in practice. The only situations I have had to do that on a diesel are:
1>Gunning the engine to start off on a steep ramp
2>Driving through a flooded area in 1st gear
3>Very high speed overtaking maneuvers (120+ and highly inadvisable)
You have a 6-speed gearbox so shift at the right times and stay in the powerband that lets you have good NVH as well. Unlike a petrol engine, there is nothing to be gained by revving a diesel beyond a certain point. (Note that I am talking about regular small-diesels that are par for the course for the segment - the BMW/Merc/Audi diesels probably are much more revhappy but are a different segment altogether).

Last edited by chncar : 3rd September 2015 at 13:14.
chncar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 17:24   #673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I got an email from Whitefield Honda saying that there has been a price hike by Honda effective 1st of September and prices are applicable at the time of registration / invoicing. No mention of the how much the price hike actually is. A sales call would've been nice.
I spoke to the Whitefield Honda sales team today. The ex-showroom price of the Amaze and Jazz has been increased by Rs 4000 and that of the City by Rs 4500. This should have ~ Rs 6000 impact on the on road price of the Honda Jazz. I will receive the updated pricing tomorrow.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 00:44   #674

I beg to differ here on the Jazz Diesel NVH levels.. to give you my background. I have acquired all new Jazz Diesel and already run 5000 km in last 3 weeks. have traveled couple of times with my family on Bangalore-Ernakulam-Bangalore Stretch.

Like many of us, I have gone through extensive reviews , read magazines , every video, learnt about engines and all before putting all my money on the Jazz. All along, the positives of the Diesel Jazz with respect to low end torque, efficiency and power was not discussed but the NVH levels. This was carried over from the legacy of Amaze.

Before my decision between the Jazz and others, I did take the fruitless short test drives couple of times. I was confused more than ever , more so since this was my biggest investment till now. I would sometimes take weeks to even select a Rs. 14K worth mobile, now that I knew this was more difficult. I hired a Honda City Diesel for 2 days from zoom cars and went on a 300 km trip to Mysore and back. It was such a pleasure to drive effortlessly in bumper to bumper traffic and smoothness on the highway . More than anything, I never could understand how this normal diesel like NVH levels could matter at all. None of my family members who would be my travel companions all life ever noticed this in spite indirectly and sarcastically taking their opinion . . In 5th and 6th gear at cruising speeds , it is absolutely quiet. Sometimes I feel that NVH levels are highly exaggerated. Until unless we use some scientific method of testing the NVH levels , this argument would continue. Otherwise I would not be surprised with subjective comments of other diesels owners(and those who envy) calling the Jazz NVH levels to tractors or airplanes and a Honda fan defending this. With due respect to all, this was based on a Bhpian comparing this to 20 year old sumo ! which i felt atrocious and misleading.

In my new jazz I never had to cross 2500 rpm for entire 5000 km I have driven, I have traveled at 140-150km/hr in 5th gear at around 2500 and there was more thrust left to go. The car reaches 100 km in around 1700 rpm in 6th gear with a millimeter of acceleration. I don’t see any reason to go beyond 2500 rpm since we get everything within this limit. Driving the Idtec in a ghat section was a pleasure and one of my best drives till now. To summarize, for all practical purposes , I think the Jazz has an image and standard of its own.

For all those who are here scouting for a new car, all I would suggests is to take open up your minds, take a long test drive and feel the car. Whatever decision your mind and heart says after that would be close to what is best for you. If needed, take advantage of hiring cars from zoom-cars etc and drive them as you do every day, after all this could be your biggest or second biggest investment in your lifetime.
Anooptp is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 10:54   #675
BHPian

Here is my 2cents about the jazz and its engine. I come from a family of only petrols, so am used to well refined cars.

I took a test drive of the jazz on sunday on OMR in chennai, free straight roads, no traffic. At idle, yes the noise is a tad more than the competition and you will need some music playing to drown it out.

On the move, the engines drive ability is stunning to say the least, unlike the other diesels I've driven which are dead till 1500-2000RPM, this just pulls cleanly from 1000RPM. I cannot think of a better car for our traffic ridden roads.

The gearbox is a joy to use, with short, nice throws and 6 closely spaced ratios. There is no point in revving it like a petrol, and when shifting at 2500-3000RPM I made swift progress and hit 100 in no time. On the move, between 1000-2500RPM the noise is not that much and very liveable. The same was confirmed by my dad, who took a TD in HYD, and this was the first diesel car he has ever driven(not counting the old ambassador's of yore).

Vibes were not felt much except on engine startup and shut down. So yes, it is a little noisier than the competition, especially Hyundai's latest CRDI's, but I do not think it is a deal breaker, as it has many more strengths, and if driven in the right way, is fairly rewarding, both in terms of FE and performance.

Last edited by bhuvan_prasad : 4th September 2015 at 10:55.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks