Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2015, 10:26   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
Can someone please confirm whether the Sunset Orange shade is metallic or non-metallic? I read here that it was non-metallic, but it seems that there is an extra charge for that colour.
It is non metallic. I was hoping it would be metallic but came away disappointed.
Old 11th July 2015, 11:11   #227
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Please find attached the price list for Jazz in Bangalore (Magnum Honda):

Looks like Magnum Honda is taking people for a ride by charging the following extras. Apparently the SA's claim that these are compulsory and cannot be excluded !!! Holy Cow !!!

Extended Warranty - 7200
RSA - 4670
Essential Kit - 3000
Car Care - 9063

Moreover, they claim that Sunset Orange is metallic color and charge extra for that !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz_pricelist_bangalore.jpg  

vijjuvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 11:38   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
The current price of the Polo GT TSI is ₹.10,06,000 and the Jazz CVT is ₹.9,54,600 here in Hyderabad. The difference being an approximate ₹.51,400. I can't speak for others but if I was going to get the V CVT then I surely will not hesitate to pony up another 50K to get the GT. Both have their pros & cons but there is no denying that the GT trumps the Jazz in many ways.
Following is a ranking chart I have put together comparing petrol variants of Jazz, Elite i20 and Polo. Clearly Jazz has some advantage over others when it comes Space, After sales service and Lower priced AT options but when it comes to overall package it looses out to both Elite i20 and Polo

Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz-i20-polo.png

On the 9 parameters which I have rated these 3 cars the final scores are pretty close. The reason Jazz looses out is because of the 9 parameters they are first in 3, second in 3 and third in 3 while in case of Elite i20 which was evaluated on 7 parameters (due to lack of AT) it is first in 3, second in 2 and third in 2. Lastly Polo manages second position because it is first in 4, second in 2 and third in 3.

So when it comes to manual one should go for
*Jazz - If space and style are your key preference
*Elite i20 - If features and Value for money are your key preference
*Polo - If quality of fit and finish is your key preference

When it comes to automatic one should go for
*Jazz - Given lack of options and lower price as compared to Polo
*Polo - If you want a exciting and fun to drive engine gearbox combo

Last edited by damager21 : 11th July 2015 at 11:44.
damager21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 12:07   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijjuvk View Post

Looks like Magnum Honda is taking people for a ride by charging the following extras. Apparently the SA's claim that these are compulsory and cannot be excluded !!! Holy Cow !!!

Extended Warranty - 7200
RSA - 4670
Essential Kit - 3000
Car Care - 9063

Moreover, they claim that Sunset Orange is metallic color and charge extra for that !!!
Please don't let these dealers fool you.
Bargain hard , go to multiple dealers , complaint to Honda but don't let these dealers exploit you!
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 12:08   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Well I guess everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.
So, though the team-bhp review is excellent, I beg to differ on the impression it is creating in particular about the petrol engine in the Jazz. Reading the review one gets the impression that the petrol engine is actually very poor and inferior to the competition which is not true.

In fact, I feel it is one of the better ones in the segment and definitely a plus point for the car (or neutral) relative to the competition.
My order for the petrol engines in this segment would be - Swift=Jazz>I20

...Definitely, it has way better low rpm response than our national engine - the 1.3 MJD
Adimicra,

Would like to take this opportunity to clarify a few things regarding the underwhelming petrol engine.

Back in 2010, you could call this 90 horsepower with weak-bottom-end acceptable because there wasn't much else in the market that offered an engine as good as the the i-VTEC.

Things however have changed considerably, with a slew of new car launches and advancement in technology in the Indian context. 110 NM of torque peaking at 4800 RPM is not what you'd expect in 2015. One could argue that the Polo's erstwhile 3-pot 1.2 mill makes the same torque, but the fact that it peaks a full 1000 revs earlier and is better-geared helps immensely in drivability.

As I'd mentioned previously, there is no doubt that the petrol engine in the Jazz is a little gem. The refinement is unparalleled and it likes to be exercised. Even though it's not a torquey motor, the problem lies therein not with this engine per se, but with the oddly-spaced gear-ratios that results in poor drivability and tractability. What's surprising is that they've managed to rectify this in the Brio. So the question remains.. why haven't they done similar calibration work to the gearbox in the Jazz? Perhaps, in their quest to attain class-leading FE figures, they've decided to forego drivability?

I've owned the 2nd Gen Jazz for 5 years now and every time I drive it, I'm left wanting more bottom-end-torque and better-spaced ratios. Once you are in the mid-range, performance is acceptable. But by then, the rest of the traffic has made the sort of progress that ideally, I would liked to have made.

The Jazz may pull ahead of the petrol i20 if bullied, but someone who knows how to extract the maximum out of the Hyundai will make his way past the Jazz.

The petrol being a city car, Honda should have tweaked it for city-use IMO. They have done well with the diesel in this regard but the petrol has been given the step-motherly attitude for reasons best known to them. I reiterate, the petrol engine is a gem. It just requires some calibration work. More bottom-end torque wouldn't have hurt either.

P.S. I don't know how many of you'll have noticed but the diesel engine and petrol engine are exactly the opposite of each other in terms of characteristics, i.e.

Petrol (+) Refinement and (-) Drivability
Diesel (+) Drivability and (-) Refinement
suhaas307 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 13:32   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Adimicra,

I've owned the 2nd Gen Jazz for 5 years now and every time I drive it, I'm left wanting more bottom-end-torque and better-spaced ratios. Once you are in the mid-range, performance is acceptable. But by then, the rest of the traffic has made the sort of progress that ideally, I would liked to have made.

The Jazz may pull ahead of the petrol i20 if bullied, but someone who knows how to extract the maximum out of the Hyundai will make his way past the Jazz.

The petrol being a city car, Honda should have tweaked it for city-use IMO. They have done well with the diesel in this regard but the petrol has been given the step-motherly attitude for reasons best known to them. I reiterate, the petrol engine is a gem. It just requires some calibration work. More bottom-end torque wouldn't have hurt either.

Well, partially agree and partially not.
I know this debate will be endless unless we have numbers.
That's why I have asked for numbers, if available, in my earlier post.
I am willing to volunteer for a road test with the I20 along with my Jazz and if the I20 does pull ahead on an open road, I will apologize publicly in this forum.

Well, market has not changed much from 2010 in terms of the petrol engines on offer in this segment. (leaving aside the Vw 1.2 TSI)
The Swift's petrol motor is slightly better from 2010, nothing revolutionary. Same applies for Hyundai's Kappa 1.2

Another point, you say the midrange is decent. Actually, 3000 rpm and beyond till 7000 rpm the Jazz engine is the strongest on the segment.It is the most rev-happy of the lot.

I agree about the gear ratios and that's probably got to do with Honda's quest to get better FE. But, I feel the sluggishness sometimes when I shift a bit early from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. As I said, I have understood the way the engine and gear box behaves and accordingly, I shift a bit later (>3000 rpms from 2nd to 3rd and so on ..) And I hardly see any car overtaking me

Also, you seem to talking only about the low end drive-ability. Is that the only barometer? I asked in the previous post why don't we say the 65 BHP diesel engine from the Micra as the best engine in the segment? It offers much better low end response than the 1.3 MJP or the 1.4 CRDI from Hyundai both of which suffer from turbo lag.

Anyways, i rest my case ...it's for people to decide. I am just trying to balance the debate as I thought that the review didn't give a fair impression of the petrol engine in particular.There are pros and cons of the 1.2 IVtec from the Jazz relative to the competition and which one you like the most will depend on your driving style. May be for you, a more relaxed lazy driving style is what you are looking for and that's why you have been so critical of the petrol motor. In your post above, you even compared the Jazz with the terrible 1.2 liter 3-pot from the Polo which is not even worth a comparison.

Quoting from Zigwheels review -
"The petrol engine we love. It wants to rev and has a wide and happy midrange making light work of traffic without demanding a downshift. It develops 90PS of power at 6000rpm and 110Nm of torque at 4800rpm. The shifts are slick and the clutch is light; the Jazz petrol has one of the best engine-gearbox combinations in the segment. "

And this is what our mod and co-reviwer Vid6339 also mentioned and I would agree with him -
"
Coming to the petrol, the Jazz is a pretty good option. The engine is very refined, performance is good and you will get good FE. While the Elite i20, petrol is decent in terms of performance and has better drivability in town, the Jazz is the more fun to drive option. The i20 is also very refined but it gets gruff at high rpm's whereas the Honda revs till 7000rpm."

PS - final post on this debate .

Last edited by adimicra : 11th July 2015 at 13:36.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 13:46   #232
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijjuvk View Post

Extended Warranty - 7200
RSA - 4670
Essential Kit - 3000
Car Care - 9063
They will kill Honda for sure. Make as much noise as possible. With to Honda with SAs name, dealers name, date an time of conversation, so as to leave no deniability.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 13:54   #233
BHPian

I just took a TD of the petrol Jazz along with my dad. First it was my turn and I found an empty road and pushed the car , and boy oh boy, the engine brought this huge smile on my face and I decided that this will be it. I could feel the difference coming from my daily drive 1.5 i-Dsi engine.

The interiors are not as bad as some people are making out to be, the doors feel solid and better than any Honda till now. The power window action also feels solid.
The car is nicely put together.
Special praise to the suspension of the car. I would say its comparable to the Swift in the setup and the way the bad patches are handled.

When I stopped the car to switch over with my dad, he sat on the driver's seat and the first thing he asked was whether the engine is off, and it wasn't, it was running. Superb refinement of the engine. Came away impressed with the overall package. The space is amazing.
Honda have managed to package the car really well.

P.S These are my point of views and mine alone. Seeing the general trend on this thread, I had to clarify that. There can be disagreements.

All I would say is do not dismiss this car without a TD.

Last edited by akhil994 : 11th July 2015 at 14:20.
akhil994 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 14:49   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Suhass 307 & Vid6639, 5 stars twice over what more can I say. The quality and depth of your review is so good that no review of the Jazz available on-line at any web site comes close to the thoroughness of your review. I am a Jazz fan (own the older version) and read your review twice and read almost all reviews on the web. Thank you for the effort that we shall all benefit from. Best regards, Narayan
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 14:54   #235
SKB
BHPian

Honda commercial specifying it's features

Honda Jazz
SKB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 16:43   #236
BHPian

Just visited Magnum Honda and I should say Jazz is a stunning package barring
the high price. Very high on practicality. I agree with all the reviewers that Non-magic rear seats aren't as comfortable as the seats in the VX variant.

Today being saturday there was a whole lot of buzz in the showroom with
test drives needing to wait for an hour.
This car has written "SPACE" all over it!!!

I think I will wait for this year end as I am not totally convinced about the
price Honda is charging for their cars.
Old 11th July 2015, 17:00   #237
BHPian

Went for a official enquiry of Honda Jazz at Vision Motors, Thrissur, Kerala below is the gist of what happened. Planning to book a S Variant Diesel Jazz in Non metallic white

1. Had called up yesterday to take an appointment for a test drive and had requested to specifically see S Variant for which they replied they have it in the showroom. At turning up at the showroom I was disappointed to hear that I was wrongly informed by one of their executives and have only a SV and a VX variant in their premises.

2. They still don't have a Diesel variant for test drive and said it will take 15 days for providing me a Diesel test drive. They also do not have a Petrol + AT for test drive.

3. Waiting period at Vision Honda is 3 months blanket for all the variants. At least that's what they are saying. They have 40 bookings in hand and the customers are still to decide on their variants (Dealership has given them 3 days to decide). The RTO registration will be done and delivery of the vehicles will start next week. This has prompted me to look elsewhere like Cochin or Trivandrum for purchase. (Earlier Honda City 2009 was purchased from Peninsular Honda, Cochin)

4. Accessories price list will be out by today evening.
Arm rest is priced at Rs 16,000/- (Personally felt this was exorbitant)
Alloy wheels is priced at 11,000/- per piece (55,000/- for a set of 5)
(When EcoSport was released Kairali Ford, Thrissur priced their alloy wheels set of 5 at around Rs 80,000/-!!!)

5. A lot of car personal reviews have been mentioned in the posts before and mine too is in line with the positive reviews. So are the executives (Except when they insisted I should put down my booking amount even before a test drive !) .Price List is attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-123456789.jpg  

Last edited by johannskaria : 11th July 2015 at 17:15.
johannskaria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 17:01   #238
BHPian

Hiroyuki Shimizu joined Honda Car India in April this year as its senior vice-president and director for marketing & sales where he is part of the core team that decided to price the all-new Jazz hatchback way lower than the City sedan, unlike in other international markets where customers pay almost the same for both the cars. Speaking with ET during the launch of the new car, Hiroyuki shares vital insights into the car maker's India strategy, and its efforts to double its domestic volume ..

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst

How smart Mr Hiroyuki Shimizu! Other markets get same petrol engine as City's i.e. 1.5 ltr i-Vtec. And India gets 1.2 ltr i-Vtec. No wonder you are forced to price Jazz lower! Not because "strategy" BS.
StepUP! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 17:21   #239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
How smart Mr Hiroyuki Shimizu! Other markets get same petrol engine as City's i.e. 1.5 ltr i-Vtec. And India gets 1.2 ltr i-Vtec. No wonder you are forced to price Jazz lower! Not because "strategy" BS.
He got a point. The Jazz diesel's internals are the same with the City and still substantially cheaper. But then it maybe a case of pricing City higher rather than price Jazz lower.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 17:28   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
He got a point. The Jazz diesel's internals are the same with the City and still substantially cheaper. But then it maybe a case of pricing City higher rather than price Jazz lower.
But I believe other markets don't get Jazz diesel. Only India gets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks