Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2015, 16:47   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Checked out the Jazz today and I was left disappointed. Looks can be subjective but overall I think the i20 does it for me in the looks department. I didn't like the rear tail light set up in the Jazz and it just looked like some cheap chinese toy. The front still looks sharp though specially since they chose wisely not to put that large chrome strip upfront.

The interiors again did not look or feel luxurious to me and i20 definitely feels more premium. Space is the only criterion where this car scores over its competitors but then if its only space that I am looking for, then I can also settle down for something like the Liva, not sure if its a fair comparison though.

All in all, I loved the old Jazz. This one feels like a downgrade compared to it.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 16:48   #317
BHPian

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Took the plunge and finally paid the entire amount for Honda Jazz, Pearl White, 1.2 MT. Amount paid - Rs. 7.65 Lacs, for V variant.

A brief writeup from my end, detailed report post the delivery -

Prologue - The faithful warrior, Ford Figo, Diesel, Zxi - had served me well for 85,000 kms over the period of 4.5 years. But, post extended warranty ended, a lot of niggles started to surface - AC issues, engine stalling (fixed thrice) etc. With a heavy heart, sold the old faithful for 2 Lacs yesterday itself.

In parallel to this, had been eagerly waiting for the new Jazz with a lot of anticipation. My leisure trip to Thailand, re-confirmed, that this was going to be the new car in my house and eagerly biding time for the launch day. Reviews started flowing in mid-June and I was a little disappointed. Apart from space, the car had nothing futuristic about it, that too coming from the Honda stable.

I tried treading other options viz. Elite i20, Polo GT. Even checked out the Volvo V40 (was getting about 4.5 Lacs off ). But, in the battle of mind and heart, the heart won.

8th July - the variants were announced, I was sure, it has to be the Jazz, but which variant and which fuel type. A lot of factors narrowed down my search towards Petrol (National Green Tribunal being the most prominent one) and I wanted ABS and Airbags. Can live without magic seats and Touchscreen (which is Oh! so cheesy).

Finally, decided on the colour, which was difficult and had to be subtle in the choice and decided with the most elegant white.

Getting delivery on Thursday, persuaded the dealer, haggled and hassled on the car and he finally committed to give the car.

Booking Numbers - are a little lower, I think it would take some traction/aggressive strategy for them to pull customers. I ain't sure, whether I've made a good choice or not, but I know for a fact, it's a good car, missing on some features which would've made it great.

But hey - "One Life, Why so Serious"
varun.ppl is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 19:41   #318
BHPian

Can some kind soul please point this idiot to the page having comparison table of various Jazz variants?

Can it be shifted to page 1 by Mods?
Old 14th July 2015, 20:02   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Can some kind soul please point this idiot to the page having comparison table of various Jazz variants?

Can it be shifted to page 1 by Mods?
Here's an overview:

Honda Jazz : Official Review-untitled.gif

Full details are in damager21's post (of the official Brochure) in page 3 of this thread - LINK

Alternatively, you can download the official brochure directly and check for yourself from here - LINK

Last edited by RavenAvi : 14th July 2015 at 20:05.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 23:36   #320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
True Adimicra, I had checked that part long back - once we got to see the plastic cap in the leaked interiors and guess what, Jazz and Fit ANYWHERE in the world gets the same treatment. Like some of us thought, it is not a step-motherly treatment dished out to India. Please check the pics below.

Honda Fit LX - USA

Attachment 1391152

Honda Jazz VTi - Australia

Attachment 1391153

Honda Jazz Trend - South Africa

Attachment 1391154
The step motherly treatment is in the VX and V. If S, SV and E have the cap it's ok. The V and VX getting a plastic cap is inexcusable.

Moreover all pics you posted were of lower trims. Everywhere else the Jazz top spec gets the start/stop button so India is the one with step motherly treatment cause we don't get it even in the top most spec.

Quote:
I don't this so Adimicra. At least based on the images in the ownership reviews of City, I am pretty sure City different panels - sliver and black - in VX variant to accommodate the Engine Start / Stop button. Other variants do not have any plastic cap there. Also, if it was there I am sure our mods and fellow members who have seen lower variants of City would have pointed that out.
I am driving a City Diesel lower S variant for a week without the start/stop button and there is no plastic cap as well. So it's only on the Jazz where they did this.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 00:05   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The step motherly treatment is in the VX and V. If S, SV and E have the cap it's ok. The V and VX getting a plastic cap is inexcusable.
The Jazz E MT doesn't have the plastic cap.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-e.jpg

No idea about the S MT/CVT or the SV MT. Didn't have enough time to spy on their interiors.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 00:30   #322
BHPian

Quote:

Moreover all pics you posted were of lower trims. Everywhere else the Jazz top spec gets the start/stop button so India is the one with step motherly treatment cause we don't get it even in the top most spec.

I am driving a City Diesel lower S variant for a week without the start/stop button and there is no plastic cap as well. So it's only on the Jazz where they did this.
India made Jazz which is currently being exported to South Africa does not offer Push start/stop button in any of the variants. Yet, in all the top variants they too get that plastic cap.

I believe this is also the reason why in India we are getting this plastic cap. There is No reason why that cap should be present in India or South Africa Jazz, but sadly or more strangely so it is there.

The only possible reason I can think of is RS variant which they maybe planning to launch in South Africa and later in India which will come with Push start/stop button.

So its like a provision they have made for long term or maybe even for the short term. Depending on the demand, they may spice up the car a bit by adding few more goodies because facelift will be at least couple of years away.

It kind of reminds me of how smartphone manufacturers come up with budget or mid range phones. They have multiple models yet they don't offer a fully loaded phone. You have a model with great display and processor but smaller battery or less RAM, while some other model will offer good processor and RAM but the display will not be great. You wont find one perfect model. So its like saying that if you want a perfect car, please buy City. It is well loaded, comes with Push start/stop button instead of the plastic cap and has 1.5l petrol engine which does not feel sluggish. Pay more get more.

Last edited by damager21 : 15th July 2015 at 00:33.
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 01:11   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree that they could have eliminated the plastic cap - no doubts. My point is, variants in other countries without the push-button start get the plastic cap and the same is carried over to India and it is not something specific to the Indian model - Unfortunately for us and SA, none of the variants get the Push-button start

Quote:
Yes Vid, I very well searched for the lower variants without the push-button start to get pictures without the button and with the cap. That is the reason why I have highlighted the variant name also

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Jazz E MT doesn't have the plastic cap.
No idea about the S MT/CVT or the SV MT. Didn't have enough time to spy on their interiors.
Now, that is ridiculous. If they can provide the lower variant without the cap, why not provide the higher variants with the same panel?

Is it because dashboard panels of the lower variants and higher variants are supplied by different vendors? Dashboard for V and VX and the South African models are probably the same and supplied by a different vendor compared to the ones who supply for lower variants. But even then, they can use the same mould, correct? I am confused. Hope experts come to my rescue.

To add, the interiors in E variant pictures here looks plain pathetic in the picture. Is it same to look or does it have something to do with the camera and lighting? Do different variants use different quality of plastics??

Last edited by Vigkey : 15th July 2015 at 01:12.
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 07:17   #324
Senior - BHPian

I think someone else has confirmed that the SV variant also doesn't have the plastic cap. Something really funny happening here.

Hope Honda takes care of this in the upcoming production batches
Old 15th July 2015, 08:47   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I think someone else has confirmed that the SV variant also doesn't have the plastic cap.
Here are some pics of SV variant dashboard that shows no start-stop cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-img20150712wa0002.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img20150712wa0001.jpg  

jeet8686 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 09:10   #326
Senior - BHPian

Great review.

I had the change to test drive the top end petrol at it's launch at Pathanamthitta, Kerala.

The Jazz makes people take a second look especially the front and the sides. I feel the Honda designers lost the plot a bit at the back making it chrome heavy etc.

The car is incredibly spacious both at the front and at the back. The petrol engine is very refined at idle though when you rev it it does turn buzzy but not uncomfortable though. Performance seems adequate but the car I drove was barely run in so it might get better after a few thousand kilometers.

I felt that the suspension was pretty noisy on the B road that I tested it on. The steering's very light as well and personally it is a negative for me though I am sure a lot of users will appreciate it.

I am pretty peeved at Honda for two things :
1. Offering the back recline option only on the top spec model. The back seat under thigh support is not great at the standard recline angles offered on the lower models.

2. Interior plastic quality is not upto segment standards. I feel that even the Swift bests the Jazz in this respect. The i20 interior makes you feel special but not so with the Jazz. Pretty much ordinary.

Great splattering of cubby holes all over the cabin. The glove box could be bigger though.

Handling was decent but again nothing that made you go WOW! The i20 may not be same but it is close.

Summing it up I feel that the Jazz missed the plot compared to segment benchmarks and below what a company like Honda is capable of. For petrol heads the Jazz engine makes its a clear choice over the i20 petrol but in all other areas the i20 pretty much matches it unless space is a top priority. The 1st generation Jazz was a leader compared to competition then but I don't think Honda realised that the field has moved on. Then they overpriced a great product - now they are overpricing an average one.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 15th July 2015 at 09:14.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 09:24   #327
Senior - BHPian

I have a genuine question to people out here..

The main critique against the Jazz has been the lack of quality of the interiors. According to many, not only the I20, even the Grand I10 and Swift (?) offer better interior quality and more premium feel.

Now, the point which I fail to understand is this - Jazz interior feel and quality is very similar to the City if not same. Now, City which is a segment higher and sells at >10L is ruling it's segment. What makes me wonder is how is it that people spending 10+ lakhs on the City finding the interiors acceptable whereas people in this forum find the Jazz's interior quality to be 'cheap' and unacceptable. And we have the Verna from Hyundai and Ciaz from Maruti in that segment. Is it only due to the'City' brand name? Or, am I missing something here?
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 09:41   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I think someone else has confirmed that the SV variant also doesn't have the plastic cap. Something really funny happening here.

Hope Honda takes care of this in the upcoming production batches
I guess the panels that they made for variants with Touchscreen ACC has those dummy caps. They wouldn't want to make an entirely new panel just to take off that Start/Stop button. That's Honda's Japanese Jugaad.
Old 15th July 2015, 09:43   #329
BHPian

Test drove the Jazz. Not commenting on the interior quality as I felt it was fine. Overall a pleasant car. Love the LED tail lights.

Anyway, I noticed that when I pressed the Horn on the Jazz, There was a clicking sound of the Plastic airbag cover hitting the wheel, I checked in the other test cars and same issue was present. So basically when you hit the horn, there is a sound of plastic hitting plastic.

Can the Honda city owners comment if they have observed the same?
Old 15th July 2015, 10:09   #330
Senior - BHPian

Most of the readers are concerned about the start stop switch. Can some tech expert in the forum share an insight if it is possible as after market / DIY solution?

May be this one major issue which is been extensively discussed in the forum can be addressed and resolved (to the extent possible) though I am skeptical that not all talking about this issue if end up buying Jazz will actually will go for the solution if it is available.

I have seen the car yesterday and it seems that the plugged hole is a good fit for the start stop switch present in City, just that I am not sure if it is actually possible to have it installed - though one of the electrical technicians at Bosch said that the wiring harness from the available key mechanism should support installation of switch and both can exist in parallel (the electronic configuration of key in car instead of key hole needs to be looked at).

Last edited by i74js : 15th July 2015 at 10:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks