Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2015, 11:44   #361
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I forgot to mention this in my earlier post but while talking to the sales guy in Peninsular Honda in Cochin about the tyres he said some of them come with MRF while others come with Goodyear (IIRC). The CVT I was checking had MRFs while the silver VX didnt as per him.
I remember the case was same back in 2011 as well. The Jazz came with either MRF's or Goodyear's. I don't remember it being variant specific. According to the showroom then, it was just a matter of luck.
Old 16th July 2015, 11:48   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Unfortunately those shortcomings which many earlier said are not a big deal, actually are.

Now look at the extra features on the i20 which in my view serve very important purpose.

1. steering wheel telescopic adjust.

2. Parking sensors.

3. Variable intermittent adjust wipers.

4. Rear AC vents.

5. AC vent vs cooled glove box is almost equal so nothing special in the Jazz.

So if you see it's these above features which really people will miss than some of the gimmicky stuff.

I haven't even mentioned the start/stop button with the keyless go cause that's something which you can do without not a must have type of feature.
Well Vid, very good post.
You left the gimmicky stuff and focussed on the real useful stuff. Unfortunately, same can't be said about several posts in this thread.

Anyways, leaving aside my soft corner for the Jazz, let me give you my view point.

1> steering wheel telescopic adjustment - I am short, so I never missed this feature. Agree might be useful for some

2>Parking sensors - useful is some situations but most City owners seem to be satisfied with the rear camera. However, it's an easy add-on - should not cost more than 4-5K.

3> Rear AC vents - useful if done correctly. In many cars, the air throw from these vents are not that good and eats up some leg space as well. Now, we really need to compare the I20 and Jazz in same hot conditions to see if this makes a difference. The compressor and the blower design plus force of the air throw is very important. The Jazz as you can see has quite a few AC vents on the dashboard, particularly on the sides. The last gen I20 was notorious for a weak AC motor. So, I am not sure if this makes a difference without testing both cars under similar conditions

4>Variable speed intermittent wiper - Agreed, very useful feature. Honda for some reason doesn't offer this in Jazz or City.

Now, let me leave the gimmicky stuff and focus on the real reason as to why I think the Jazz suits me better ..
Imagine you are going for a long drive with 4-5 people.
  • The extra leg space allows rear passengers to stretch their legs.
  • The extra boot space will gobble up the additional luggage - my neighbour and myself went for a few weekend trips. He has a Ritz and it was struggling to fit his luggage. SO, my Jazz has come to the rescue several times. Also, additional boot space comes in very handy in the airport runs
  • The jazz has a very nice airy cabin which makes you feel comfortable over a long journey, the I20 will feel more claustrophobic.
  • Talking about the petrol engines, the I20 might have slight advantage in lower rpms but the Jazz has a stronger midrange and topend. The difference becomes very evident in the open highway where the I20 will run out of breath much sooner than the jazz
  • Jazz offers a better steering and slightly better dynamics and more settled ride at high speeds making your long drives more comfortable.
So, given the above reasons, the Jazz (petrol) wins over the I20 when you are talking about a complete family car which will do duty in the city and double up as a nice vacation car with the family for long drives. Also, in my experience, the Honda petrol motors tend to hold up very well for a long time and gives better smoothness and mileage than Hyundai engines, particularly over a longer term.So, that makes the Jazz a more complete package ..strictly IMO!

PS - The FE/DTE I think is pretty useful in some scenarios. I don't think it's just a gimmicky thingy.

Last edited by adimicra : 16th July 2015 at 11:53.
adimicra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 11:53   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post
The baby is finally home.
First things first. Congratulations for your new car. I have seen it on roads in Bali and it looks awesome. Trust me this car is gonna make you smile everyday. All the best and do share some daylight pics and your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
In face, I envy all those who bought the facelifted Jazz in 2011-12 at that steal of a price, before it was discontinued altogether. Honda India was actually making a loss on every Jazz sold back then.
You have made my day . May be Honda cares so much about those who bought the earlier (I don't feel like calling it old anymore) Jazz so much, that they didn't want them to feel short changed and hence priced & laid out the variants of the new Jazz this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Personally, I think Ford will be the real winner here over the I20, Jazz, Creta & S-cross,..why
I know Ecosport in itself is a brilliant car, it can easily compete with i20 & Jazz but I don't see it competing with Creta & Scross. These are vehicles with bigger seating capacity & comfort. For me Ecosport has same seating capacity as the MS WagonR.
naikameya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 12:47   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post
The baby is finally home..
Congrats on your new purchase and staying firm with your decision.

Much of the negativity opined in this forum is unwarranted. Perhaps we have come to expect flawless cars from Honda and and shortcomings however minor or insignificant they may be are strongly crticized.I agree Honda made a blunder in pricing but it does not make Jazz a bad car.

When you are on long road trip with five adults and loads of luggage, the last thing that would come to your mind is the missing start stop button or the perhaps slightly inferior interiors. Instead, the space and comfort offered by this car would be the one everyone would be thankful for.

No car is perfect , the Swift is cramped at rear, Elite is dull to drive and Polo is expensive to maintain but people still buy these cars.No other car has received has received this much of a negative feedback as the Jazz.If a car has sold more than the swift and elite combined across the world, something must be right about this car.
thehighwayman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 13:02   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
When you are on long road trip with five adults and loads of luggage, the last thing that would come to your mind is the missing start stop button
On a road trip with 5 adults and luggage - You would be bogged down by the lack of end torque, specially on the petrol. Other concerns like the lack of start stop button wont even come to mind.

Most of the reviews mention that the motor needs to be wringed by its throat to extract performance even under city conditions. It can only get much worse with five people and luggage on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
When you are on long road trip with five adults and loads of luggage, the space and comfort offered by this car would be the one everyone would be thankful for.
If space and comfort with five people on board is the top priority, I think people should rather look at the Ertiga.

At just 20k more ex-showroom - it offers 4.26m length of car, 3 row seating (Or a sliding second row to extract maximum legroom for the middle bench), a refined 1.4L petrol engine with good driveability and revv-happy nature, decent ride and handling etc.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th July 2015 at 13:04.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 13:31   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Been getting call after call from a number which the True Caller App decoded as Honda. never picked as it looked like one of those call center spam numbers. But they kept calling (multiple times a day during several days in the last week).

Finally picked up today. Turned out to be call for marketing the Jazz. I had registered on the website a month back and they have been calling to talk about the car and find out when I plan to buy.

Considering the repeated calls, looks like the response is not as good as they hoped.
Old 16th July 2015, 13:54   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
On a road trip with 5 adults and luggage - You would be bogged down by the lack of end torque, specially on the petrol. Other concerns like the lack of start stop button wont even come to mind.

Most of the reviews mention that the motor needs to be wringed by its throat to extract performance even under city conditions. It can only get much worse with five people and luggage on board.
I did a test drive with five people in the petrol Jazz at low speeds as well as highway run at around 100kmph.

Sure, the low end torque is on lower side but not to the extent of getting bogged down.

Over new Jazz owner vprabu could be able to comment on his experience in city drivings.
Old 16th July 2015, 14:08   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

"Wringed by its throat" is too strong.
The response below 1900-2000 rpm is slow. It will make progress at 1500 rpm as well but it will be slow but no engine knocking (part throttle works best at <1800 rpm) . On a road trip, how many times you really go below 2000 rpm? As I said, you can drop a gear for overtakes if required and the midrange and topend will ensure you get a clean overtaking maneuver as you can hold the gear easily till 6000--6500 rpm.

Ertiga belongs to a different segment. It loses out on lot of equipment as well as the exterior design etc

Last edited by adimicra : 16th July 2015 at 14:10.
Old 16th July 2015, 15:14   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
"Wringed by its throat" is too strong.
I thought I borrowed the phrase from the review, but I guess it was from the below post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3749381

Quote:
The response below 1900-2000 rpm is slow. It will make progress at 1500 rpm as well but it will be slow but no engine knocking (part throttle works best at <1800 rpm) . On a road trip, how many times you really go below 2000 rpm? As I said, you can drop a gear for overtakes if required and the midrange and topend will ensure you get a clean overtaking maneuver as you can hold the gear easily till 6000--6500 rpm.
Official review says the engine is "lethargic below 2500rpm" and "decent midrange comes in above 3000rpm".

That means a downshift for quick overtaking? Because cruising speeds on indian roads in top gear is always close to 2000rpm. Pretty tiresome on long roadtrips? (The distances I cover during roadtrips are close to 800kms per day)

Quote:
Ertiga belongs to a different segment. It loses out on lot of equipment as well as the exterior design etc
Well, features and exterior design won't contribute to comfort, do they? The above post was only suggesting a better alternative for highway usage with 5 people comfortably.

And Ertiga is from another segment. But Jazz is priced closed to it. The petrol variant of Ertiga is a 4.26m car with a 1.4L petrol paying more tax to the government. And still priced close.

I hope Maruti pulls a similar trick with the S-Cross and price the 1.3 diesel within a range of 1L from Jazz diesel

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th July 2015 at 15:16.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 15:23   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

adimicra - Is there any blanket ban on stating not so good things about Jazz in this thread? :P

Jazz has a poor low end and lacks the oomph (features and interior quality) factor in comparison to the competition.

Last edited by GTO : 17th July 2015 at 14:38. Reason: Do NOT personally attack other members
Old 16th July 2015, 17:55   #371
@KP
BHPian

Forget feature comparisons between Jazz and Elite i20. One primary reason why the Jazz may do well (maybe not better than Elite i20) is the availability of CVT model
Old 16th July 2015, 18:23   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
adimicra - Is there any blanket ban on stating not so good things about Jazz in this thread? :P

Jazz has a poor low end and lacks the oomph (features and interior quality) factor in comparison to the competition.
Well, is there a blanket ban on stating good things about the Jazz?? Last I checked, the answer was 'No'!!

As I mentioned before, Jazz may not have bettered the i20. But that doesn't mean no one is allowed to like and praise what the Jazz has to offer.

Jazz has a poor low end and lacks the oomph (features and interior quality) factor in comparison to the competition. - This seems to be the public opinion. OPINION. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. 'adimicra' is expressing his. On a public forum, he is allowed to! To add to that, he is a Jazz owner and I believe he is more qualified here to give opinions about the car than a lot of other people. That is the whole point of a public forum, isn't it?

If you cannot agree with this, chillax and just unsubscribe from this thread for a while and come back after a couple of months - I request my fellow members to refrain from using statements like this. Quality of this forum is maintained by exchanging opinions and views, and having meaningful arguments. Let the discussions continue on the Jazz... And not on individuals.

Last edited by GTO : 17th July 2015 at 14:39. Reason: Quoted post edited
Geo_Ipe is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 18:28   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

@Geo_Ipe - One should share their opinion and move on; not argue to death with everyone who doesn't align with his/her opinion. That's where a thread becomes stale. On the same lines, I'll stop here!

Last edited by kiku007 : 16th July 2015 at 18:30.
Old 16th July 2015, 18:28   #374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by @KP View Post
One primary reason why the Jazz may do well (maybe not better than Elite i20) is the availability of CVT model
True. That's the advantage of Jazz over Elite i20.

But enthusiasts probably won't go for it since much better options are available from VW (GT TSi) and Ford (Aspire 1.5 DCT) in a similar price bracket. Even the Zest diesel AMT should be priced lesser.

But yes- as a mass seller, the CVT is an advantage for Jazz. And it seems already 40% bookings are in favour of the automatic.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 18:59   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
One should share their opinion and move on; not argue to death with everyone who doesn't align with his/her opinion. That's where a thread becomes stale. On the same lines, I'll stop here!
He is sharing more of his experiences, whereas the rest are sharing their opinions, mainly based on the opinions of the reviewers! That matters. I'm sure prospective buyers will also find that useful. I can relate to every point 'adimicra' is trying to make, because I own a Jazz as well. And on the poll thread 34% seem to be favoring the Jazz to the i20. That is 1:2, which I would say is not that bad a ratio!

We all know that the Jazz with this model range and pricing will never outsell the i20. You need to love the Jazz to buy it. I'd say it still is a niche car and is not going to be a volume player. Some people love her, let them!!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks