Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2015, 17:03   #1141

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Hi Flanker99,

Glad to know you had a great outing with family and Jazzy boy...the pics are great!!! I took my Jazz out last weekend to Alwar, Rajasthan (About 180kms one way from Delhi), with 3 adults on board and my 3 year old daughter, I completely second your observations when you said the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker99 View Post
My take on the Jazz:

After this road-trip am I satisfied with the Jazz? Yes. No second thoughts.

2) Is the Jazz under-powered? Maybe better down-shifts will help matter.

3) One word for the handling: Sweet. The Jazz felt 'planted' even at 80 kmph. My dad hit 100 kmph a couple of times and it still felt 'planted'. Driving down the ghats while returning today was a hoot.

To sum up things, I am happy with with my choice of car.

I have a lot of respect for Jazz's competition. They all have their positive points. But for everyday practicality the Jazz is surely the hatch to beat.
PS: I got a FE of 17 KMPL for the round trip, which consisted 70% driving on Expressway, 30% in city traffic...I was estatic with that FE
ShanJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 18:02   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanJazz View Post
PS: I got a FE of 17 KMPL for the round trip, which consisted 70% driving on Expressway, 30% in city traffic...I was estatic with that FE
Hi ShanJazz. May I know how many kms your Jazz has covered till now? Your FE figures are really good. I wonder why mine are so low. I guess/hope they might go up with time. If I am not mistaken you had undertaken a long road-trip (Delhi-MP) immediately after you took delivery of your Jazz, right? I believe that might have played a major role in running-in the engine. On the other hand my Jazz has been stuck in the daily grind (home-office-home) since I bought it home.
Old 28th December 2015, 19:54   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
There's an interesting anecdote from yesterday. Was travelling in my friend's City(current gen, V variant) and we decided to stream music from my phone instead of the pen drive. Both our phones are stored in the HU's memory. So, the moment i turned the bluetooth of my iPhone on, the "successfully connected" message displayed on the HU and we were able to stream music for a while till my friend received a call on his One Plus One.

What happened next astounded me! The music stopped and his call showed up on the HU ( with a '2' displayed next to the phone icon) that he answered via the steering mounted controls. I dont really remember if the music from my phone resumed or I had to play it again after he hung up but, I found the above setup quite cool!

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Dear MetalBuff (Shivang Gandontra),

I am stupid! Thank you for this update. I am going to try this.
By the way, can you run through the steps to make the music streaming via bluetooth happen?

Girish Mahajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
We bought a Jazz V yesterday, While driving back my Xperia and my wife's Nokia both were connected. Mine was playing music and Nokia was connected as phone. Whenever she got a call, the music paused and call went through. After call the song from my Xperia resumes. So I am sure it can connect more than one device.
Dear madbullram,

This is interesting. Maybe, you could also explain how to did the music streaming via bluetooth..

Girish Mahajan

Quote:
My take on the navigation software:

1) I did not have to ask anybody for references even once during the entire trip. That says a lot about the accuracy of this software.
2) You will have to first reach a main road inorder for the directions to make sense. While starting from home I had to first reach the Sher-e-Punjab Gurudwara for the directions to make sense. This Gurudwara is about 200-300 meters from my house. Same was the case while returning back from Anandvan Resort. The closer your starting point is to a main road/popular landmark the better off you are.
3) While traveling on the highways the software kept on prompting whenever a small bypass was to come ahead. Something like "In 100 meters bear right/left."
4) I nearly messed up big time some 15 kms before Bhandardara. There was this small diversion on the left hand side of the road. I did not receive any voice prompt and I failed to notice the path shown on the display. I turned left. After some 5 minutes I realized that the DTG had suddenly gone from 15 kms to 25 kms. What we didn't realize that we had taken a wrong turn and where going towards some village. The software, instead of prompting us to turn back calculated a new route back to the fork in the road. It's only when we reached a block in the road due to a fallen tree I realized that we had taken a wrong turn. We promptly turned back and were back to the fork in around 15-20 mins. However this incident is entirely my fault.

Overall this navigation software is a very handy thing to have. There was no 3G coverage in interior Maharashtra including Bhandardhara. One other option is to have some smartphone app that allows for off-line navigation. Contrary to perception I also found the software easy to use. The touchscreen is not as responsive as a smartphone, but then this is a resistive display. To sum up things, I am perfectly satisfied with this MapmyIndia navigation software.
Dear Flanker99,

I have the Jazz V CVT - so no MapMyIndia! Sob Sob!!
Anway, I have a MMI unit. I can say with confidence that your observations are spot on!
I had done a trip from Pune to Goa and back. We did all the sight seeing with bare minimum asking around. We were able to visit all our places of interest. We were actually able to sequence them with minimum travel and maximum coverage!
We did use that and the Google Maps on our android phones - but the MMI was definitely more reliable - specially when the phone coverage was kaput! One downside was that it made some funny mistakes in the last half km or last one km - once in a while!

On the whole, I would recommend MMI as a reliable companion!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 20:55   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Hi ShanJazz. May I know how many kms your Jazz has covered till now? Your FE figures are really good. I wonder why mine are so low. I guess/hope they might go up with time. If I am not mistaken you had undertaken a long road-trip (Delhi-MP) immediately after you took delivery of your Jazz, right? I believe that might have played a major role in running-in the engine. On the other hand my Jazz has been stuck in the daily grind (home-office-home) since I bought it home.
Hey @Flanker99, it was me who took the delivery and drove it to Indore (MP) from Delhi, a 930 kms stretch. Not sure if @ShanJazz has done that too and in case he has, I'd be glad to catch up with him based on where he is in MP. I basically followed a simple rule of not driving at the same RPM for long duration during this 930 kms trip. I didn't pay much attention to speed since I try to maintain legal limits but occasionally took it to 120+ in 4th gear to ensure the entire RPM range is covered.

Yesterday, I came back from Indore-Matheran trip which is roughly a 1200 kms drive, both ways included. The FE figures were amazing and this, along with comfort level was the highlight of the entire trip. The major reason for concern were the rattles It literally came from everywhere and majorly from dashboard and boot area. I occasionally had to stop the vehicle to locate the source at the boot area since it got really loud at one point. Spent 3-5 mins looking for it but couldn't locate it. It eventually went away on its own before I got home but these rattles are really bothering me. My second service is due and I will report this to Honda and see what they do about it. My take, I'll totally blame it on the plastic quality used.

Coming on to the FE, below is a picture for your reference. I got 20 km/l before I entered Maharashtra's curvy roads and ended up with 18 km/l when I ended the trip. I only took my vehicle till Neral so cant comment on the FE and performance on steep ghat sections. Matheran was too crowded and the parking was full. My city driving is pretty laid back and I usually get around 14+ km/l while driving in Indore's chaotic conditions.

PS - The picture was taken by my home minister while I played the chauffeur
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-20151224_222734.jpg  

Last edited by k.sumit : 28th December 2015 at 21:12.
k.sumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 21:56   #1145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
Hey @Flanker99, it was me who took the delivery and drove it to Indore (MP) from Delhi, a 930 kms stretch...... The major reason for concern were the rattles It literally came from everywhere and majorly from dashboard and boot area. I occasionally had to stop the vehicle to locate the source at the boot area since it got really loud at one point. Spent 3-5 mins looking for it but couldn't locate it. It eventually went away on its own before I got home but these rattles are really bothering me. My second service is due and I will report this to Honda and see what they do about it. My take, I'll totally blame it on the plastic quality used.
Hi k.sumit. Oh yes.....the rattles. I remembered that the person who had done the Delhi-MP trip was the one who had pointed out the rattle issue too. These rattles bothered me too for the entire trip as well. Will definitely get them sorted out in the next servicing that also happens to be the last one. According to my observations during the trip one of the source of the rattles seems to be the left hand side B pillar, someplace close to the seat belt origin. One fellow Jazz owner pointed this out few pages earlier in this thread. In his case it was the right hand side B pillar. Surprisingly his workshop told him that a part will have to be replaced. Let's see how things shape up in your case and mine. Do keep us all updated after the servicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I have the Jazz V CVT - so no MapMyIndia! Sob Sob!!
Anway, I have a MMI unit. I can say with confidence that your observations are spot on!
I had done a trip from Pune to Goa and back. We did all the sight seeing with bare minimum asking around. We were able to visit all our places of interest. We were actually able to sequence them with minimum travel and maximum coverage!
We did use that and the Google Maps on our android phones - but the MMI was definitely more reliable - specially when the phone coverage was kaput! One downside was that it made some funny mistakes in the last half km or last one km - once in a while!

On the whole, I would recommend MMI as a reliable companion!

Girish Mahajan

Rightly said Sir! But I believe even Google Maps might have an issue with the last mile details. What needs to be done is a head to head comparison of MMI and Google Maps in a real life situation. Perhaps Nokia's/Microsoft's Here software (the one present in Lumia smartphones) can be evaluated as well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th December 2015 at 13:10. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Old 29th December 2015, 00:30   #1146
BHPian

@Flanker99 - Agree with you on MMI, it is very handy when you are in an area with no GPS connectivity using your phone.

Let me tell you all another cool feature in MMI. Press any map area and it will drop a pin and give you options asking to Navigate to, Find POI etc l. Click Find POI, you can select from options like ATM, Pump stations, Commercial Places, Residential buildings, Honda service centers etc. Press on any option it will list out 99 search hits within some kma radius from where you are located at present.

It's a brilliant device and was of great help in my first long drive in Jazz. Just had to key in the hotel name and voila it shows the route, kms, ETA, Distance to Go. It does re-routing brilliantly if you follow an alternate route with changes to ETA and Distance to go.

On my first long drive with Jazz, it was a 1000kms drive to and fro. Its a dream machine, we extremely planted when driven above 100kmph. Yes, fuel efficiency takes a hit if you go past 100kmph, managed to get a FE of 16.7kpl overall with 70-30 percent in highways-city driving.
itzvicky201 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 06:56   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzvicky201 View Post
Let me tell you all another cool feature in MMI. Press any map area and it will drop a pin and give you options asking to Navigate to, Find POI etc l. Click Find POI, you can select from options like ATM, Pump stations, Commercial Places, Residential buildings, Honda service centers etc. Press on any option it will list out 99 search hits within some kma radius from where you are located at present.
Hi itzvicky. To my surprise when I tried locating nearby Honda service centers on the way back (Bhandardhara-Mumbai) I couldn't find any. Whereas I distinctly remember seeing one some 40 odd kms from my destination. That's a bit of concern. Let's see. Will try again during my home-office-home trips to check if it picks up the dealership location.
Old 29th December 2015, 14:36   #1148

Quote:
Hi ShanJazz. May I know how many kms your Jazz has covered till now?
Hi Flanker99, well it is about 1000Kms so far. I will be mostly using it for my weekend trips and driving holidays, that way, both Jazzy boy and me are happy.

I did ensure that i vary the RPM across the range as suggested by fellow BHPians during my trip, and kept driving in the "green zone" to the maximum extent possible, i find the "ambient economy mode lighting" as a great guide to help me optimize my driving style.

Quote:
If I am not mistaken you had undertaken a long road-trip (Delhi-MP) immediately after you took delivery of your Jazz, right?
No, it was K.Sumit who did that!!!!
ShanJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 18:46   #1149
BHPian

Hi, have anyone faced call voice clarity issues with the top end model HU??
Whenever I connect my phone with the Bluetooth and answer a call, other person always complain about poor voice clarity. It is always distorted and cracking where as I can listen their voice clearly. They also complain of noises coming with my voice. I thought of sharing it with you guys so that I can know the real problem.

Anyhow I am not very happy with the HU.
Old 30th December 2015, 11:25   #1150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit_chd View Post
Whenever I connect my phone with the Bluetooth and answer a call, other person always complain about poor voice clarity. It is always distorted and cracking where as I can listen their voice clearly. They also complain of noises coming with my voice. I thought of sharing it with you guys so that I can know the real problem.

Either in the review thread or in a ownership thread it was mentioned that the mic in the VX variant is located just below the aircon blower. Because of this the noise of the blower causes some disturbance during the call. In case of other variants the mic is located in the roof, away from any noise source.
Old 30th December 2015, 17:15   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Either in the review thread or in a ownership thread it was mentioned that the mic in the VX variant is located just below the aircon blower. Because of this the noise of the blower causes some disturbance during the call. In case of other variants the mic is located in the roof, away from any noise source.
Bro, its located on the HU itself. I have attached the file too to make it easy for you to understand my point.

No doubt its below the air con but then it does not solve my purpose. Even if we have an option of Bluetooth but its useless.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz.jpg  

Last edited by ankit_chd : 30th December 2015 at 17:17.
Old 31st December 2015, 09:27   #1152
Senior - BHPian

^^

Sad to hear the bluetooth issue. It's really bad from Honda that the HU in the top end model has various issues. I think the same HU is used in the Amaze and City. I wonder why Honda has not done anything after so many customer complaints!

Regarding this particular issue, please check with the dealer if there is an option to attach an external mic to the HU. I have a Blaupunkt touchscreen HU fitted on my old Jazz and it has the option to use the internal or external mic. The external mic can be fitted on the roof near the top of the A-pillar which should make the voice clear. In the settings, I can select which mic I want to use (internal or external). For me, both the internal and external mic works fine though. Normally, when I am speaking alone, I use the external one but if the co-passenger wants to speak, I use the internal one.

I am not sure about the HU in the VX but no harm in checking out with Honda. If Honda says not possible, please check with some good accessory shop if it's possible. Best of luck!

Last edited by adimicra : 31st December 2015 at 09:30.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 10:01   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit_chd View Post

Have you tried bluetooth calling with AC off to see if the interference is due to the ac blower? Since you can hear the other end clearly, it must be that the sensitivity of the mic is high and it is picking up the noise generated by the aircon blower.
praveen_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 11:12   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
^^

Sad to hear the bluetooth issue. It's really bad from Honda that the HU in the top end model has various issues. I think the same HU is used in the Amaze and City. I wonder why Honda has not done anything after so many customer complaints!

Regarding this particular issue, please check with the dealer if there is an option to attach an external mic to the HU. I have a Blaupunkt touchscreen HU fitted on my old Jazz and it has the option to use the internal or external mic. The external mic can be fitted on the roof near the top of the A-pillar which should make the voice clear. In the settings, I can select which mic I want to use (internal or external). For me, both the internal and external mic works fine though. Normally, when I am speaking alone, I use the external one but if the co-passenger wants to speak, I use the internal one.

I am not sure about the HU in the VX but no harm in checking out with Honda. If Honda says not possible, please check with some good accessory shop if it's possible. Best of luck!
I will surely check it with Honda once I go for my 10k service which will be very soon. Honestly, this HU is piece of crap.

While using ipod also, in case you wanna search for some song it will stop the current playing song.

You cannot connect ipod via usb. It wont detect it. Touchscreen response is bad too.

Any one wants VX model HU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Have you tried bluetooth calling with AC off to see if the interference is due to the ac blower? Since you can hear the other end clearly, it must be that the sensitivity of the mic is high and it is picking up the noise generated by the aircon blower.

Yes, I did try it with blower off. It works just fine. But I cannot keep switching my blower on/off. Its a blunder by Honda when they charged me so much money for top model.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st January 2016 at 10:36. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please.
Old 1st January 2016, 10:39   #1155
BHPian

Hello fellow Jazzers and other experts!

Happy New Year to all of you and all your near and dear ones!

I have an observation. I would like your comments on it.

I was driving on the Pune Mumbai Expressway. I was traveling at about 80 kmph at about 1600 rpm. I have always wanted to see what gear the car is in (equivalent gear of course). So, I used the '-' toggle. The engine shot up to about 3000 rpm and the car accelerated to about 90 kmph. And now the interesting part - the display showed "D5"!!

I was very surprised. So I tried this again at 90 kmph and even at 100 kmph. (Note: I do not like to drive recklessly. I do most of my driving at 80~90 kmph maximum speeds.) I got the same "D5". So I tried '+' toggle at 80/90/100 kmph each. Even more interesting thing happened - the display showed "D7" but the rpm actually shot up as if I had downshifted and not upshifted!

What would this mean?

The options that came to my mind:
1. The car was in some gear close to D6 and when I did '-' toggle, it went into D5 and when I did '+' it went into D7.
2. The car was in some gear close to D7 and when I did '-' toggle, it went into D5 (I do not know why it would do a 2 step change!) and when I did '+' it stayed at D7.
3. In the D mode, the minimum and maximum gear ratios are wider than the manual D1-D7 and at that speed the car was actually in the equivalent of D8 or D9. So, it makes sense that the '+' made it actually do a '-' to D7 and a '-' made it do a double '-' to D5!

Options 3 seems most logical to me - as of now!

I request others to try this and let me know if you are also experiencing something similar.

I request the experts in this forum to enlighten me. I have a feeling that if I contact Honda or their representatives, I might not get a satisfactory answer. However, I am going to ask them too - at the time of the next servicing.

Drive safely.

Girish Mahajan

Last edited by GKMahajan : 1st January 2016 at 10:41.
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed