Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2016, 15:52   #1156
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Hello fellow Jazzers and other experts!

Happy New Year to all of you and all your near and dear ones!

I have an observation. I would like your comments on it.

I was driving on the Pune Mumbai Expressway. I was traveling at about 80 kmph at about 1600 rpm. I have always wanted to see what gear the car is in (equivalent gear of course). So, I used the '-' toggle. The engine shot up to about 3000 rpm and the car accelerated to about 90 kmph. And now the interesting part - the display showed "D5"!!
Thats an interesting observation. It will be insightful to know how the gearbox behaves. Have you also tried to just slot the gear in 'S' mode? I think that should show you the current gear you are in. You can then move back to D and cross-verify
praveen_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 17:15   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Thats an interesting observation. It will be insightful to know how the gearbox behaves. Have you also tried to just slot the gear in 'S' mode? I think that should show you the current gear you are in. You can then move back to D and cross-verify
Dear praveen_v,

Awkward situation is that I have used the S mode very rarely!
But, what I remember is that in the S mode it shows S only and not the D equivalent gear. The ratios are different in D and S modes. At least that is my understanding!! Experts please comment.
The S1-S7 display only comes ON when I use the toggle shift.

Now that you have put it in my head, I am going to check out S mode in my next Mumbai-Pune travel.

Girish Mahajan
Old 1st January 2016, 17:59   #1158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was driving on the Pune Mumbai Expressway. I was traveling at about 80 kmph at about 1600 rpm. I have always wanted to see what gear the car is in (equivalent gear of course). So, I used the '-' toggle. The engine shot up to about 3000 rpm and the car accelerated to about 90 kmph. And now the interesting part - the display showed "D5"!!

I was very surprised. So I tried this again at 90 kmph and even at 100 kmph. (Note: I do not like to drive recklessly. I do most of my driving at 80~90 kmph maximum speeds.) I got the same "D5". So I tried '+' toggle at 80/90/100 kmph each. Even more interesting thing happened - the display showed "D7" but the rpm actually shot up as if I had downshifted and not upshifted!

What would this mean?

The options that came to my mind:
1. The car was in some gear close to D6 and when I did '-' toggle, it went into D5 and when I did '+' it went into D7.
2. The car was in some gear close to D7 and when I did '-' toggle, it went into D5 (I do not know why it would do a 2 step change!) and when I did '+' it stayed at D7.
3. In the D mode, the minimum and maximum gear ratios are wider than the manual D1-D7 and at that speed the car was actually in the equivalent of D8 or D9. So, it makes sense that the '+' made it actually do a '-' to D7 and a '-' made it do a double '-' to D5!

Options 3 seems most logical to me - as of now!

I request others to try this and let me know if you are also experiencing something similar.

I request the experts in this forum to enlighten me. I have a feeling that if I contact Honda or their representatives, I might not get a satisfactory answer. However, I am going to ask them too - at the time of the next servicing.

Drive safely.

Girish Mahajan
Hi Girish Mahajan,
I have been reading your posts and I really appreciate your analytical mind and curiosity. Your posts have been informative and logical.

Reading the above, I feel that the CVT was in 7th ratio when you were doing 80 kmph at 1600 rpm. Since this is a 7 speed transmission (being CVT, these are virtual ratios), nothing happened when you ordered an upshift (+), since it was already in 7th. When you ordered downshift, it is possible that it may go directly to D5, skipping the D6 based on the ECU logic.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 18:54   #1159
BHPian

Hello 'Jazzians' if i may say so.

Got a chance to test drive the CVT 'S' model the other day.Below are my observations and mind you prior to this drive i have never driven any automatic car and my regular drives are the Swith vxi (which is driven by Dad) and Safari TCIC. My views might sound very childish compared to experts but nevertheless they are as belows:

Positives-
1:What a silky smooth ivtec motor.I am in love with it.
2:So much of space considering its just a hatch back.
3:Easily found a good driving position,one sits quite high compared to my Swift.
4:After getting over the 'LFNR' (Left Foot Not Required) syndrome , it was such a breeze to drive, never felt the gears changing and the acceleration was better than what i was expecting that too just in the 'D' mode,so satisfied was i that i just didnt bother to try out the 'S' mode.
5:Braking , again no complaints and the 'S' model had ABS .

Negatives-(Just for the sake of it)
1:Lack of Rear AC vents.
2:No Auto dimming IRVM( V variant costs 9.52 Lacs OTR Pimpri Chinchwad)
3:No split rear seat and no adjustable rear head rests.

All in all very satisfied with the Jazz and will be booking the 'V' variant for Dad in a month or two,my search has stopped .

Regards rosaf!
rosaf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 16:05   #1160
BHPian

Honda Jazz RS may be showcased at Auto Expo India and maybe coming soon to India. It is expected to come with 1.5 L engine, Cruise Control, Start/Stop button and much more. This will be one awesome car to own.

Source:
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/honda-jazz...o-2016-1261511
Old 3rd January 2016, 17:27   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijjuvk View Post
Honda Jazz RS may be showcased at Auto Expo India and maybe coming soon to India. cruise control, start/stop button and much more. This will be one awesome car to own.
That's merely a new variant just like the mobilio RS. This appears to have become a tactical gambit among car makers these days. At launch, they'll omit few expected features, then they will announce a new variant/makeover adding those missing features with a subtle cosmetic treatment and voila! comes a well equipped variant to lure us.

Quote:
It is expected to come with 1.5 L engine.
To my wonder, ain't the current jazz powered by the same 1.5 L i-DTEC mill or am I missing something ?

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 3rd January 2016 at 17:30. Reason: Parted the quoted text :)
Old 3rd January 2016, 17:49   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post

To my wonder, ain't the current jazz powered by the same 1.5 L i-DTEC mill or am I missing something ?

He is referring to the petrol engine here.
The RS is expected to used the 1.5l i-vtec mill from the city.
I doubt that will be done, since the difference between the jazz RS and city V will be almost nothing, and the VX is just a lac more, all thanks to our ridiculous tax structure.
Old 3rd January 2016, 19:11   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
He is referring to the petrol engine here. The RS is expected to used the 1.5 L i-VTEC mill from the city. I doubt that will be done...
I couldn't agree with you more! No point in plonking the 1.5 L i-VTEC unless they want to shove it into the hot-hatch race. In that case, a turbocharged 1.5 L would sound sweet.
Old 3rd January 2016, 19:27   #1164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
Hello 'Jazzians' if i may say so.

Got a chance to test drive the CVT 'S' model the other day.

Positives-
1:What a silky smooth ivtec motor.I am in love with it.
2:So much of space considering its just a hatch back.
5:Braking , again no complaints and the 'S' model had ABS .

All in all very satisfied with the Jazz and will be booking the 'V' variant for Dad in a month or two,my search has stopped .

Regards rosaf!
Good decision Rosaf. My Jazz is now almost 6 years old and going strong despite getting driven by 4 to 5 family members and a couple of drivers! Of all the cars I have owned the Jazz is the most untroublesome sweetheart. Photo below of the Jazz lady after a car wash at 3M yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-img00036201601021820.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 12:14   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi Girish Mahajan,
I have been reading your posts and I really appreciate your analytical mind and curiosity. Your posts have been informative and logical.

Reading the above, I feel that the CVT was in 7th ratio when you were doing 80 kmph at 1600 rpm. Since this is a 7 speed transmission (being CVT, these are virtual ratios), nothing happened when you ordered an upshift (+), since it was already in 7th. When you ordered downshift, it is possible that it may go directly to D5, skipping the D6 based on the ECU logic.
Dear Rahul Bhalgat,

Thanks for the appreciation.
Your logic may be right. I am going to keep checking till I find some sort of confirmation - one way or other!

Girish Mahajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijjuvk View Post
Honda Jazz RS may be showcased at Auto Expo India and maybe coming soon to India. It is expected to come with 1.5 L engine, Cruise Control, Start/Stop button and much more. This will be one awesome car to own.
Dear vijjuvk,
I hope it does not come too soon. I would be jealous!
I have a Jazz V CVT and the only things I desire are 1.5L petrol engine and cruise control. Start-Stop is okay but not a real deal breaker!

Girish Mahajan
Old 4th January 2016, 21:21   #1166
BHPian

Finally was able to test drive the V CVT yesterday and the sales person did not mind a long test drive. So took it for a 25KM spin and the overall experience was satisfactory. The longer test drive along the road where I commute daily helped me to evaluate the car better over conditions I know. To summarize the car is very well suited for city driving and offers unmatched convenience.

I purposefully did not turn on music and kept the AC in low speed to watch out for any extra noise, niggles or vibrations but did not hear any sound during the entire drive. The test drive car had been subjected to quite a bit of abuse. I checked the odo and it had done close to 9000 KMS. The only "noise" if I could call it was the engine sound slowly raising when revved above 3k rpm. Below that it is very silent and smooth.

Coming to the CVT itself, I was able to test both the 'D' and 'S' mode well and felt that the D mode is by itself very much sufficient for city driving (unless one wants to zoom ahead and brake hard at the next signal). The 'S' mode took the responsiveness to next level and should be good enough for some extra acceleration if required. The paddle shifters are so convenient that it makes me wonder why no other automatic is offering it. It feels very natural to use and my better half already got envious seeing me shift gears with paddles. Maybe I will not get chance to drive it much if I do decide to buy it .

Overall it provides a decent and very much acceptable performance. Yes, it is no street scorcher like the Polo TSI but it does not mean that the CVT is lethargic. It responds better to light/half way throttle inputs rather than mashing the throttle fully. If you want to make a quick overtaking/closing the gap move, the paddle shifters are there to downshift and bring the engine into the meaty band. My take is that it is a great overall package but priced a bit enthusiastically by Honda.

For 2016 model, they are promising delivery in 4-6 weeks but are very adamant to not offer any discount/free accessories. I spoke to couple of dealers and none of them are willing to even discuss any offers. Sigh! On a side note, the service advisor was more than willing to come to the showroom on a holiday (sunday) and offer a long test drive which lasted almost around 45mins. Good experience on that part!!

Last edited by praveen_v : 4th January 2016 at 21:25. Reason: Correct typos
praveen_v is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 08:37   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Dear MetalBuff (Shivang Gandontra),

I am stupid! Thank you for this update. I am going to try this.
By the way, can you run through the steps to make the music streaming via bluetooth happen?

Girish Mahajan
Hello Sir,

Apologies for a delayed response. Did you find a way around this? If not, I expect delivery of our Jazz on the 7th (day after tomorrow) after which I'll provide a rundown of all the steps. Yes, on the same day itself 'cause I see you have gone a long while without having that query of yours answered

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 5th January 2016 at 08:40.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 09:29   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Hello Sir,

Apologies for a delayed response. Did you find a way around this? If not, I expect delivery of our Jazz on the 7th (day after tomorrow) after which I'll provide a rundown of all the steps. Yes, on the same day itself 'cause I see you have gone a long while without having that query of yours answered

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Dear Shivang Gandotra,

I have surprised many people by my patience! Ha Ha Ha Ha....
Jokes apart, from past experience I know that TBHP members ke yahan der hai andher nahi!

So, congrats on your new acquisition - in advance! Welcome to the Jazz Club.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 15:03   #1169
BHPian

The HU is relatively easy to use on the Jazz V.

To connect a device, simply hit the 'Menu' button and then 'Settings' -> 'Bluetooth'. Alternatively, turn on your device's Bluetooth and tap the Call Answer button on the steering which should prompt you to pair the device. Very intuitive and easy.

If your device is already paired, simply select 'Bluetooth' as your Source through the steering-mounted controls whenever you wish to pair (needless to say, BT on the device must be switched on). It should pair automatically. Pairing probably works only when the car is stationary. However, I've connected my pre-paired phone while the car is in motion as well.

The speed dial feature is rather nifty - adding in contacts is advisable. Call History and Phonebooks sync like a breeze too, with Call History registering 20 entries each for Received, Dialed or Missed Calls. Sound quality is pretty good from what I've experienced, and definitely better than using an aux cable + you avoid the clutter of wires around the cubby hole up front.

To play music (this one pertains to Girish Mahajan's query), it should work automatically when your device is paired. Merely press 'Play' on your mobile music app once your device is paired, and it should work. Songs on your device can be changed with the steering-mounted controls - no real hassle in this. If this doesn't, however, go through the Menu-Settings-Bluetooth grind and select the option to 'Connect an Audio Device'. Once connected, it should be good to go.

So, pairing is reasonably easy, and I retract my previous statement in light of recent experiences - multiple devices do work at the same time via Bluetooth, one for calls and one as an audio/music player. However, longer calls (7-8 minutes plus) seem to drop with multiple paired devices online. Anybody else experience this or is this just because I daftly use a Lumia ??
hershlulla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 16:56   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershlulla View Post
The HU is relatively easy to use on the Jazz V.

To play music (this one pertains to Girish Mahajan's query), it should work automatically when your device is paired. Merely press 'Play' on your mobile music app once your device is paired, and it should work. Songs on your device can be changed with the steering-mounted controls - no real hassle in this. If this doesn't, however, go through the Menu-Settings-Bluetooth grind and select the option to 'Connect an Audio Device'. Once connected, it should be good to go.
Dear hershlulla,

Thanks for the update.
I am using my phone as a bluetooth connected phone regularly.
I have yet to understand and use the music streaming facility. Your explanation is lucid enough. Now, I need to try it out!
Once while on a long drive, my daughter had tried it. However, she was not successful. The music just came out of the speaker of the phone!

By the way, should the Google Maps' girl's voice be heard from the car's speakers? I am hearing it coming from the mobile phone's speaker.

Thanks in advance,

Girish Mahajan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks