Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2016, 14:46   #1726
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
I don't know if it has to do with my and my father's driving style, but we feel the Jazz is a better highway car than a city car. Due to the very low low-end torque, it takes time to get going from standstill in city traffic. While others like Altos, Indicas, i20s zoom past you in traffic, the Jazz takes its own sweet time to catch up. Also need frequent gear shifts in city. While in highways, the car rides like an aeroplane (on good roads). No vibrations, no swinging right and left. Just slot it in 5th and have a relaxing drive. We haven't pushed it beyond 100kmph and so don't really know if the Jazz will be less confidence inspiring at higher speeds.
I second that, Jazz is at home on well laid tar/asphalt surfaces, less than perfect roads or concrete highways are not her forte. It is bit cumbersome in stop-go traffic and over here I would strongly suggest CVT for convenience, I have manual and I can vouch for that. 80-100 kmph is Jazz's sweet spot, good ride and economy is guaranteed in this band.

On a lighter note, Jazz has made me a sedate and more economical driver.
varunswnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 17:20   #1727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
I second that, Jazz is at home on well laid tar/asphalt surfaces, less than perfect roads or concrete highways are not her forte. It is bit cumbersome in stop-go traffic and over here I would strongly suggest CVT for convenience, I have manual and I can vouch for that. 80-100 kmph is Jazz's sweet spot, good ride and economy is guaranteed in this band.

Hello Varun,

I second your point here. Jazz has made me a sedate driver in city & in highways too. Occasionally i take her up to 130 km/ hr. But once you see the Mid falling i revert back to 90 km / hr.

On the stability front ,Trust me she is stable till 140 km / hr.

On the stop go traffic. I have a suggestion for all Jazz owners. I have shifted my fuel to Shell premium and i could feel the lower end response has improved and the engine is more refined and mild rattles from dashboard has also reduced. Crossing my fingers.
I felt that with the Indian oil fuel the engine is a little rough.
Vivek-Bharathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 01:06   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear Vivek-Bharathy,
I keep 32 and 30 psi as mentioned. Nobody has complained about the bouncy rear. But, maybe, I have not asked specifically!

Girish Mahajan
Dear Girish,

I have JAZZ SV IDTEC and so far clocked close to 13k kms. I still ride on my stock MRF tyres. I initially had 33psi on all tyres(per recommendation from my friendly SA) but I felt the ride was on the stiffer side(when we drive through patched roads in low speed 30-40kmph.I tried all 32 and felt the ride was absorbent on the same patched road stretch at low speed referred above. These days I have 33psi at front and 30psi at the back (as suggested) and I see difference in ride quality during low speeds. I second your view in following the recommended tyre pressure. Its even more absorbent and soft with this psi setup. But I believe there is room for further improvement.It would have been even more better had Honda provided 195ers rather 175s.

There is a reason for specifically mentioning the ride quality at low speeds because the ride quality with different tyre pressure is mostly felt during low speeds(mostly city drives) but in highways at speeds over 70kmph the undulations due to badly patched road are mostly ignorable or not notable. Thanks to the slightly stiffer(sporty) setup of our Jazz's suspension which has very well helped in keeping the car stable(not springy as seen in competitors) in corners especially. Sharp pot holes always has a bad effect to any car and Jazz is no exception that too with 175ers.

Quote:
I don't know if it has to do with my and my father's driving style, but we feel the Jazz is a better highway car than a city car. Due to the very low low-end torque, it takes time to get going from standstill in city traffic. While others like Altos, Indicas, i20s zoom past you in traffic, the Jazz takes its own sweet time to catch up. Also need frequent gear shifts in city. While in highways, the car rides like an aeroplane (on good roads). No vibrations, no swinging right and left. Just slot it in 5th and have a relaxing drive. We haven't pushed it beyond 100kmph and so don't really know if the Jazz will be less confidence inspiring at higher speeds.
Dear TD_GHY, During my initial days(while I was studying/experimenting my Jazz's behaviour) I was a very conservative driver(hesitant to push the car to close-in the gaps in city or to catch-up with the cars ahead of us in Bumper to Bumper traffic worried about FE and trying not to rev to high RPMs during run-in period).I mostly tried to keep the GREEN ambient light ring glowing with FE BAR mostly near 25kmpl mark. Due to this practise, my drive was mostly sedate and The FE was very good at approx. 19kmpl with 5ppl on board(mostly) + 100% AC in B2B traffic conditions. Since FE experimentation was always on, I religiously upshifted to higher gears at low acceptable speeds. But the after effect of this early upshift was low acceleration but better FE. After the 3rd service was over, I came off the shell. I learnt few tricks to get the best out of the Jazz in terms of acceleration in city traffic conditions. These days I close-in the gaps + run out of the following crowd with my effective 3rd and 4th gear(s).I am not looking at the ambient rings anymore but at the FE bar. Even now, I try to be mostly at the 25kmpl mark but its at times impossible to maintain the same while we are pushing hard at an over-bridge or during a 100m dash.

At the highways I always try not to push her hard. I have reached 130 on few occasions but mostly prefer driving at 100-120 mark (FE approx 21 to 22kmpl).When driven between 90 to 100 the FE was approx 25+Kmpl ignoring looking the ambient green rings but keeping an eye on the FE Bar(around 25kmpl).During my recent highway trip of approx 1500kms Jazz returned FE of 23.9KMPL this includes 100+ kms of City/Town/Village roads. Some pics as below

Honda Jazz : Official Review-current-highway-trip-mileage.jpg

Jazz's Overall KM

Honda Jazz : Official Review-overall-kms.jpg

Jazz's Avg FE figure for the past 4k kms

Honda Jazz : Official Review-mixed-mileage.jpg

My UT 'Transformer'

Honda Jazz : Official Review-my-ut-transformer.jpg

So I am not sure whether the ambient rings and FE bars were psychologically stopping us from pushing our car in lower gears(as was in my case during my early days) making us feel that this car is sedate.I understand that there is a world of difference between the 1.2 IVTEC,1.5 IVTEC(CITY & BRV) and 1.5 IDTEC but would like to hear from our petrol head friends as well.

Quote:
..I have manual and I can vouch for that. 80-100 kmph is Jazz's sweet spot, good ride and economy is guaranteed in this band.

I agree with you on this mate. The best FE figures I have got out of Jazz is only because of the way its designed to guide drivers to tap its sweet spot(turbo range in my IDTEC) 1650 to 2200 RPM (Torquey and Efficient)
DieselTorq is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 09:43   #1729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTorq View Post
I second your view in following the recommended tyre pressure. Its even more absorbent and soft with this psi setup. But I believe there is room for further improvement.It would have been even more better had Honda provided 195ers rather 175s.
Dear DieselTorq,
Thank you.
Regarding the tyre size, I cannot comment - being no expert. However, I have a feeling that the FE would drop and MOST Indians would not appreciate that.

Quote:
There is a reason for specifically mentioning the ride quality at low speeds because the ride quality with different tyre pressure is mostly felt during low speeds(mostly city drives) but in highways at speeds over 70kmph the undulations due to badly patched road are mostly ignorable or not notable. Thanks to the slightly stiffer(sporty) setup of our Jazz's suspension which has very well helped in keeping the car stable(not springy as seen in competitors) in corners especially. Sharp pot holes always has a bad effect to any car and Jazz is no exception that too with 175ers.
I agree totally about the suspension quality. Just last week, I had a couple of colleagues in my car for a 2 km ride. At one location, there were a lot of potholes. My colleague commented "How these potholes destroy the ride quality and the car!". After I had driven through, he says "I did not feel anything!". The car had gone through smoothly!

Quote:
At the highways I always try not to push her hard. I have reached 130 on few occasions but mostly prefer driving at 100-120 mark (FE approx 21 to 22kmpl).When driven between 90 to 100 the FE was approx 25+Kmpl ignoring looking the ambient green rings but keeping an eye on the FE Bar(around 25kmpl).During my recent highway trip of approx 1500kms Jazz returned FE of 23.9KMPL this includes 100+ kms of City/Town/Village roads. Some pics as below
23.9 kmpl on a diesel for such a long distance! WOW! I wish they had an automatic version!

Quote:
I agree with you on this mate. The best FE figures I have got out of Jazz is only because of the way its designed to guide drivers to tap its sweet spot(turbo range in my IDTEC) 1650 to 2200 RPM (Torquey and Efficient)
Right! When I TDed the vehicle, the green and blue lighting had seemed a gimmick. However, it changed my wife's and my driving style! And mind you - we are both good drivers! So, it is not just a fancy - it is a good teacher too.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 10:21   #1730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Instantaneous FE bar is always visible on top - efficiency fans will love the feature. It's inversely proportional to the revv counter .
No matter how much enthusiast we might me, there is a part in us which loves efficiency from our machines. Jazz just magnifies it.

Quote:

My UT 'Transformer'

Attachment 1530796
Hi DieselTorq, can you share image of your Jazz with those alloys, they look nice. What is the upsize you have had and any notable difference you have felt at high speeds?
Old 19th July 2016, 11:24   #1731
BHPian

In my Jazz iVtec, when I change the gear to 1st/2nd and press the accelerator, the response is very slow. I checked with the service guys and they said its normal. In fact, in my apartment, there is a speed breaker hump right at the bottom of the ramp to get out of garage. If I am 2nd gear and go over the hump slowly, the car stalls trying to go up the ramp. I need to be in 1st gear to go up the ramp.

I know Jazz has low-end torque, but just want to confirm if what I am experiencing is normal.

Other than that, the car feels pretty good and planted. The engine noise is so low inside sometimes I am not sure if its running or not.

I have the VX, so the AVN system reboots everytime if car engine is turned off (but not fully, as you can power the music system and window switches) at the traffic signals. That seems strange.
Old 19th July 2016, 11:44   #1732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
In my Jazz iVtec, when I change the gear to 1st/2nd and press the accelerator, the response is very slow. I checked with the service guys and they said its normal. In fact, in my apartment, there is a speed breaker hump right at the bottom of the ramp to get out of garage. If I am 2nd gear and go over the hump slowly, the car stalls trying to go up the ramp. I need to be in 1st gear to go up the ramp.

I know Jazz has low-end torque, but just want to confirm if what I am experiencing is normal.

Other than that, the car feels pretty good and planted. The engine noise is so low inside sometimes I am not sure if its running or not.

I have the VX, so the AVN system reboots everytime if car engine is turned off (but not fully, as you can power the music system and window switches) at the traffic signals. That seems strange.
You are experiencing absolutely normal behaviour of ivtec Jazz. You have to work around the low end torque to keep it alive.

AVN on VX is worst to say the least. Apart from the said behaviour, bluetooth doesn't displays the song info on screen.
Old 19th July 2016, 12:24   #1733
BHPian

Quote:
Dear DieselTorq,
Regarding the tyre size, I cannot comment - being no expert. However, I have a feeling that the FE would drop and MOST Indians would not appreciate that.
I too believe that this could be the real fact. But I feel happy that HONDA has done this rather reducing the build quality etc. to achieve better FE. Tyres could be upsized if the customer prefers so but not the Build quality.

Quote:
23.9 kmpl on a diesel for such a long distance! WOW! I wish they had an automatic version!
Jazz Diesel automatic (with its ample torque available from 1.5 iDtec) would have been enjoyable. But these days I am worried about the NGT Ban on old diesel vehicles and feel cheated that 'Why there was no expiry(use by) date referred at the Car (which is lakhs worth) when I purchased it and suddenly one fine day some one pulls the fuse of it(with short notice)?'. A distressed feeling to be expressed at other thread rather here.

Quote:
Right! When I TDed the vehicle, the green and blue lighting had seemed a gimmick. However, it changed my wife's and my driving style! And mind you - we are both good drivers! So, it is not just a fancy - it is a good teacher too.
Girish Mahajan
Exactly. The Ambient rings/FE Bar has taught me some driving habits which I have adopted to achieve what I want from iDTec based on its characteristics.

1)Green Ring + Max FE Bar => Little/No pressure or being gentle with the accelerator is sufficient for moving the car at desired speed within B2B conditions with better FE.
2)Greenish Blue ring + Medium FE Bar => Mild pressure in accelerator for Closing the gaps in Traffic with moderate FE
3)Dark Blue ring + Min FE Bar => Flooring the pedal, Frontrunner and super sprinter, Poor FE

I choose what I want based on the need of the hour(mostly 1 & 2) . A BIG thanks to HONDA engineers.
DieselTorq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 13:02   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
No matter how much enthusiast we might me, there is a part in us which loves efficiency from our machines. Jazz just magnifies it.
This is true and hence(along with various other plusses) the Jazz rather XYZ in our market.

Quote:
Hi DieselTorq, can you share image of your Jazz with those alloys, they look nice. What is the upsize you have had and any notable difference you have felt at high speeds?
Thanks Varun.I have not upsized and still with the stock tyres. I will upsize to 195 once these 175ers are due for change. I haven't felt any notable difference in ride quality.

As requested hereby attaching few available pics. Unfortunately I don't have
any better pic to share you at this moment but will share the same once its available.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-onyx-transformer.jpg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-onyx-175ers.jpg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-during-change.jpg

Not sure how to rotate this picture. Dear mods could you please rotate the below 2 pictures. Also just noticed that I have got two back to back posts. Hereby I request to kindly merge them both.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd August 2016 at 13:21. Reason: Removing dead attachment links
DieselTorq is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 17:21   #1735
BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree with you. Low end torque equates to a lot of shifting in city traffic.
But on the highway, you just need not leave 5th gear ever.
I've driven fairly over 100kmph and I'm happy about the stability. And the best part is no vibrations or signs that the engine is unhappy. With the AC on, you barely hear anything inside the cabin.

All in all, by far the most relaxing highway drive ever.
ashishk29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 13:08   #1736
BHPian

Did anyone notice air noise inside the cabin when cruising over 100 kmph on highways. I did feel it sometimes during my recent trip, is this normal?. My ride is due for its 2nd service in the next week, so would like to hear from others before pointing it out with the service guys during service.
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:18   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkikewl View Post
Did anyone notice air noise inside the cabin when cruising over 100 kmph on highways. I did feel it sometimes during my recent trip, is this normal?. My ride is due for its 2nd service in the next week, so would like to hear from others before pointing it out with the service guys during service.
I do hear some whoosh and humming sound at high speeds, I can't confirm if that's air noise. I think, lack of wheel well cladding might be one of the reason for this also tyres can add to some noise as well.
Old 22nd July 2016, 12:01   #1738
BHPian

Agree to that, i am in the plan to check & change my tyres too. Currently i am running on Good Year Assurance of stock size. Mostly will opt for Michellin Primacy in 195/60 section. Any other tyre sizes I should consider, do let me know
venkikewl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 18:37   #1739
BHPian

Quote:
Agree to that, i am in the plan to check & change my tyres too. Currently i am running on Good Year Assurance of stock size. Mostly will opt for Michellin Primacy in 195/60 section. Any other tyre sizes I should consider, do let me know
I haven't yet opted for tyre change. I am waiting for all free services to get over and then I will look to upgrade tyres.

185/60R15 - This is international lower variant spec but not much options to choose from tyre manufacturers here. 185/65R15 has many options available.
195/60R15 - This is preferred size on team-bhp with a little increased side wall height.

Check Continental MC5s and Michelin Primacy. Hope this helps.
Old 22nd July 2016, 22:38   #1740
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I do hear some whoosh and humming sound at high speeds, I can't confirm if that's air noise. I think, lack of wheel well cladding might be one of the reason for this also tyres can add to some noise as well.
I get that too at 100+ KMPH and its definitely wind noise. On a windy day, you'll get that above 80KMPH too By the way guys, I posted a review of my headlight upgrade that may be of help to someone in deciding what to opt for. Below is the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3995569
k.sumit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed