Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2016, 23:03   #1741
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Question for Team BHPians - I have a 2010 Honda Jazz M/T. Should I replace it with a 2016 new Jazz CVT to have a smoother drive in commuter traffic?

The 2010 Jazz has given me trouble free service and looks good as new. But over the past 18 months I have been introduced to the joys of automatic driving in the guise of our Volvo XC60. In traffic which is what we are wading through in NCR most of the time an automatic is a boon. Do any BHPians have a view of the old Jazz versus the new one in terms on reliability, quality etc.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 00:10   #1742
Senior - BHPian

Other than the Automatic vs Manual, the Old Jazz is a better car than the new one in almost every way, except maybe space but I think its more comfortable
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 12:52   #1743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Question for Team BHPians - I have a 2010 Honda Jazz M/T. Should I replace it with a 2016 new Jazz CVT to have a smoother drive in commuter traffic?

The 2010 Jazz has given me trouble free service and looks good as new. But over the past 18 months I have been introduced to the joys of automatic driving in the guise of our Volvo XC60. In traffic which is what we are wading through in NCR most of the time an automatic is a boon. Do any BHPians have a view of the old Jazz versus the new one in terms on reliability, quality etc.

I have an old jazz X version which I bought pre used after extensively TDing the new one. Even though the new one looks more modern and stylish, I won't say it is a whole new product over the old one. The old one holds its ground and is as good or bad as the new one. The fit n finish is better in old and is ergonomically better too. The built quality is also a tad better.

Coming to the point of auto, if it is only for city driving, look for the polo GT which costs only ~70k more than jazz after discounts but is a better product in every way except the space if that is not a prio.

Happy getting confused
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 18:54   #1744
BHPian

Had taken the car for the first paid servicing yesterday. Total distance covered over the past 1 year (bought her home on 1st August, 2015) is 4,090 km, around 1,700 km more since the last free servicing. I personally didn't have any inclination to take her for the servicing but decided to after following the advice given by fellow TBHP members. The service adviser was surprised after looking at the odometer reading. But then even he knew that the warranty would be declared void if I didn't stick to Honda's schedule. It's now that I really regret going for that extended warranty.

Anyways, I asked him not to change the oil as the odometer reading didn't warrant it. And he did as asked. He did ask me to change the air filter. I agreed to it but later when he called me to inform that the servicing was complete he said that the air filter was in almost pristine condition and hence they decided to only clean it.

Following is the invoice. Total hit: INR 2,553. The air filter costs around INR 500, oil change a bit less, INR 300-400, if I remember correctly.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_0923.jpg

Last edited by Flanker99 : 24th July 2016 at 19:00.
Flanker99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 06:03   #1745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker99 View Post
Anyways, I asked him not to change the oil as the odometer reading didn't warrant it. And he did as asked. He did ask me to change the air filter. I agreed to it but later when he called me to inform that the servicing was complete he said that the air filter was in almost pristine condition and hence they decided to only clean it.
If I were in your place I would change the oil however less the running may be. Because , oil quality deteriorates with time. If it is scheduled, just change it. It doesn't cost a lot.

Last edited by phynix123 : 30th July 2016 at 06:04.
phynix123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 07:09   #1746
BANNED

Quote:
Anyways, I asked him not to change the oil as the odometer reading didn't warrant it.
IMHO you should have changed the engine oil. Irrespective of how much you clock between two services, oil change should not be avoided.

Oil degrades as age increases and it looses is lubrication properties too doing more harm than good. Delayed oil change interval leads to sludge formation inside. It is a pain to clean it later.

Name:  ForumRunner_20160730_065419.png
Views: 2970
Size:  670.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20160730_065437.png
Views: 3136
Size:  789.6 KB

Look at the above two images that I have shared which were taken when my colleagues car add taken for service at an FNG. He bought it used for a cheaper rate and this was the condition when head was opened. It is a simple negligence from the previous owner where oil change interval was never adhered to just to save some 2000 bucks approximately on every service.

If you see, there is either a odometer interval or a time interval for an oil change like "10,000 kms or 1 Year whichever is earlier!". Not all drive the car to meet the odometer specific interval so manufacturers give a time specific interval which is decided after numerous R&D done.

Another example: When i had my bike (Karizma R) which used to see maximum 200 or 300 kms a month. Which meant oil change interval could be taken to 1 year easily but in the interest of health of the engine, I used to change it every 6 months and costs 300 bucks.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 08:40   #1747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had taken the car for the first paid servicing yesterday. Total distance covered over the past 1 year (bought her home on 1st August, 2015) is 4,090 km, around 1,700 km more since the last free servicing. I personally didn't have any inclination to take her for the servicing but decided to after following the advice given by fellow TBHP members.
Anyways, I asked him not to change the oil as the odometer reading didn't warrant it.
Doesn't Jazz have a 6 months service interval? AFAIK Honda follows a 6 month service interval. In which case it would actually void your warranty.

Also declining to get oil changed as per schedule will also lead to possible warranty issues at a later date if something crops up in the car.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 09:38   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Doesn't Jazz have a 6 months service interval? AFAIK Honda follows a 6 month service interval. In which case it would actually void your warranty.
Yes doc. It's 6 months. I have adhered to all advised services till now irrespective of the odometer readings. What I was trying to say was that I took the delivery of the car 1 year back. 3 free services and the first paid service are done with till now.

Anyways, lesson learnt. Will stick to oil change at all the services hence forth.
Old 30th July 2016, 10:00   #1749
BHPian

Could someone please help me understand the technicalities here as to what might be the logical reason for oil change every 6 months despite low running.

Does Honda use "low quality" oil for our cars that they need replacement in less than a year when other manufacturer's cars require replacement in a year's time? I however sincerely hope this is not the case.

Or is it that Honda engines are truly different that they use up that engine oil within 6-7 months and hence need periodic change.
Old 30th July 2016, 10:03   #1750
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Also declining to get oil changed as per schedule will also lead to possible warranty issues at a later date if something crops up in the car.
Exactly, his warranty is pretty much void for anything which touches engine oil. I've said it time and again, engine oil is not something to save money on. Even his bill mentions - No approval. Honda uses conventional mineral oil unless you specify otherwise and it's not wise to go longer periods on mineral oil.
Old 30th July 2016, 10:19   #1751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
Could someone please help me understand the technicalities here as to what might be the logical reason for oil change every 6 months despite low running.
Does Honda use "low quality" oil for our cars that they need replacement in less than a year when other manufacturer's cars require replacement in a year's time? I however sincerely hope this is not the case.
Or is it that Honda engines are truly different that they use up that engine oil within 6-7 months and hence need periodic change.
Although there may be six months interval for servicing , oil change is usually done once a year. Please check your car manual. They usually inspect oil level in six months and top it up if required, whereas in one year they change the oil.
Regarding quality of oil, I dont think Honda would use a lower quality engine oil.

Last edited by phynix123 : 30th July 2016 at 10:21.
phynix123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 10:45   #1752
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phynix123 View Post
Although there may be six months interval for servicing , oil change is usually done once a year. Please check your car manual.
The oil change interval is 6 months. Please check the manual.
Old 30th July 2016, 11:12   #1753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Honda uses conventional mineral oil unless you specify otherwise and it's not wise to go longer periods on mineral oil.
Our previous car, a Maruti, also used Mineral oil and oil change was required once a year, not 6 months. In the 8 years of ownership, it ran super smooth, never giving any engine related issues. So it isn't exactly true that mineral oil can't hold on for more than 6 months as Honda would like us to believe. Looks more like a money making gimmick than based on sound engineering principles. Top up is fine, complete change in 6 months surely is far fetched. And binding it to warranty makes it a "cash cow".

Quote:
Originally Posted by phynix123 View Post
Although there may be six months interval for servicing , oil change is usually done once a year. Please check your car manual. They usually inspect oil level in six months and top it up if required, whereas in one year they change the oil.
Checked the manual. Oil change is mandated once every 6 months.
TD_GHY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 11:31   #1754
BHPian

Quote:
That's a surprise considering its a petrol engine. It may actually be a money milking strategy as you mentioned.
Old 30th July 2016, 12:39   #1755
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Our previous car, a Maruti, also used Mineral oil and oil change was required once a year, not 6 months. In the 8 years of ownership, it ran super smooth, never giving any engine related issues. So it isn't exactly true that mineral oil can't hold on for more than 6 months as Honda would like us to believe. Looks more like a money making gimmick than based on sound engineering principles. Top up is fine, complete change in 6 months surely is far fetched. And binding it to warranty makes it a "cash cow".

You are welcome to change the oil whenever you want. Just don't expect warranty coverage on those parts unless you follow the mandated instructions. The same is true for any appliance, not just cars. Just cause your car ran 8 years doesn't make it optimal. I'm sorry, I'd prefer believing in the knowledge of one of the most respected and trusted car manufacturers than a random guy from the internet. The oil change is only around 1500 bucks in Honda; look at what the others like VW charge and ask yourself if 1500 bucks in 6 months - Rs 8/- per day is really worth your worry? Please read Anurags post above and decide. If I were the op, I'd go back and get that oil change done immediately

Last edited by mxh : 30th July 2016 at 12:40.

Most Viewed