Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2016, 12:25   #1831
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek-Bharathy View Post
On the issue with shifting gears it will smooth out once you hit 5000 kms. i too faced it.
Thanks for that assurance. One more thing...my Jazz has dual horns but it sounds like mono horn of bike ! Very weak. Can I replace it with windtone (I like Scoda type !) without damaging warranty ?
abhaybakshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:41   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
Got our new Petrol Jazz V MT Orchid White yesterday !
She will replace my 10 year old Swift which is still with me for next 3 days.

Initial impressions are good except widely talked low RPM torque. I will miss
agility of my old generation Swift for sure :-(

I have noted that down shifting from 3rd gear into 2nd is hard. I saw few posts with same issue reported in this forum. I hope it will get smooth after few days.

I am trying to control my urge not to rev her hard during run-in period. But unknowingly brain expects Swift like behavior and so.. !
Dear abhaybakshi,

Welcome to the Jazz club!

I have a V-CVT - so I can not comment on the 3>2 gear transition. I expect you and your car will soon find the optimum way to work together.

Regarding the Swift to Jazz transition, I can say that it is like changing schools or jobs. What I mean is that we are expecting everything to be same between the old and new ones! If we really wanted to be in the 'comfort zone' we should stay with the old one! So replace a Swift with a Swift! Please do not take offense - for any car change there is 'some' unlearning involved! Enjoy it!!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 17:18   #1833
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that assurance. One more thing...my Jazz has dual horns but it sounds like mono horn of bike ! Very weak. Can I replace it with windtone (I like Scoda type !) without damaging warranty ?
Hello Abhay,

You are most welcome. I did no bother about horns as i do not honk unless it is very very critical.I too felt that the horn was a little bit weak compared to my earlier car. May be any horn change without adding extra relays and circuits might not void the warranty.

Comments from other Honda car owners are welcome.
Old 12th September 2016, 15:18   #1834
BHPian

I have observed that idle RPM after I start the engine in the morning is 1000 RPM after one minute. Is it what fellow Jazz owners are observing or it is bit more ?
Old 12th September 2016, 17:20   #1835
BHPian

Quote:
I have observed that idle RPM after I start the engine in the morning is 1000 RPM after one minute. Is it what fellow Jazz owners are observing or it is bit more ?
Dear abhaybakshi,

My observation is that it hovers around 1000~1200 for a few minutes and slowly drops to 800~900 where it 'stays'.

Note: this is a Jazz V CVT.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 17:27   #1836
BHPian

Even I feel the horn is weak in my VX. Haven't thought about replacing it though.

Did Hyderabad to Bangalore, driving around 100-110kmph and got mileage of around 16 kmpl. No issues as such with the car, except of course the weak low end. A good cruiser if there is no traffic and it chugs along effortlessly. Nice to drive on the highways.
Old 12th September 2016, 19:25   #1837
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post

My observation is that it hovers around 1000~1200 for a few minutes and slowly drops to 800~900 where it 'stays'.

Note: this is a Jazz V CVT.
Whenever possible, can you check the engine RPM at 80 kmph and 100 kmph? With a CVT, I noticed that when you stay at a particular speed for some time, the engine speed keeps dropping (as the gearbox chooses a higher ratio)
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 20:40   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Whenever possible, can you check the engine RPM at 80 kmph and 100 kmph? With a CVT, I noticed that when you stay at a particular speed for some time, the engine speed keeps dropping (as the gearbox chooses a higher ratio)
Dear smartcard,

You are right. For steady driving , 1900 rpm is 100 kmph. Interestingly, 80 kmph comes at about 1800 rpm or just below that.

Regards

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 10:45   #1839
BHPian

For me RPM hovers around 1500 for 80KM/HR in 5th gear on a flat road and only myself in the car.

I have not tested for 100 KM/HR yet as the car is in "run in" and I dont want to push her beyond 2500 RPM.

By the way I have some doubt about the logic that ambient rings are using. Second gear has a very very narrow bandwidth for "green". I can see "blue" almost all the time in second and third gear with RPM always below 2k.
Fifth gear is all green all the time. Also I think second gear is quite same as third gear in terms of torque delivery. They are almost overlapping. I sometimes skip 3rd altogether and skip to 4th from 2nd gear. (I make sure t have enough speed so that engine is not stressed a bit).
abhaybakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 16:55   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
By the way I have some doubt about the logic that ambient rings are using. Second gear has a very very narrow bandwidth for "green". I can see "blue" almost all the time in second and third gear with RPM always below 2k.
Fifth gear is all green all the time. Also I think second gear is quite same as third gear in terms of torque delivery. They are almost overlapping. I sometimes skip 3rd altogether and skip to 4th from 2nd gear. (I make sure t have enough speed so that engine is not stressed a bit).
Yeah I have noticed that narrow bandwidth. Initially i tried following the bandwidth to the T, but as i cross 2000 Kms in the car i realise that i have a better reading of the engine and i sometimes stay on 3rd even while the ring flashes blue and asks me to move to 4th. I dont think i am following the blue-green and i think my understanding is better. However, i have seen many posts here saying its best to follow the indications >90% of the time so i may be wrong here.

I have found that 2nd and 4th gears are of shortest duration for me. I am usually on 3rd or i move into 4th only to quickly change to 5th.
Old 15th September 2016, 08:21   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Thanks Girish. Spot on observation. Same figures for me as well.
Old 15th September 2016, 08:32   #1842
BHPian

Sometimes when I downshift to second gear (say before speed breaker)....and then release the clutch slowly and press the throttle slightly to get going, I am seeing that there is a "blank" time for a second. I mean that nothing happens in this "blank time". Then I get a slight jerk and the car starts to gather momentum. I find this irritating sometimes. It's same feeling like when you press the throttle and nothing happens for split second in turbocharged diesel engines.

I will ask SA about this at my first service.

Has anyone observed such behavior ?
Old 15th September 2016, 08:41   #1843
BHPian

Quote:
Turbo lag I guess?. I have no experience with the Honda engine, but in the commuter 3 cylinder engine of the polo of old, I usually moved to 1st gear after a speed bump. In second, it takes more than a couple of seconds for the turbo to spool up.
Old 15th September 2016, 09:00   #1844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
Turbo lag I guess?
I think there should be no turbo lag in Honda Jazz Petrol like diesel ones.
It may be related to fuel efficiency tuned engine I guess.
Old 15th September 2016, 12:40   #1845
BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes when I downshift to second gear (say before speed breaker)....and then release the clutch slowly and press the throttle slightly to get going, I am seeing that there is a "blank" time for a second. I mean that nothing happens in this "blank time". Then I get a slight jerk and the car starts to gather momentum. I find this irritating sometimes. It's same feeling like when you press the throttle and nothing happens for split second in turbocharged diesel engines.

I will ask SA about this at my first service.

Yup, I feel it. I try to go to 1st gear sometimes due to this, while going over a speed breaker or big potholes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks