Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2018, 05:43   #2386
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
I have a September 2015 manufactured VX variant Diesel Jazz. In these 30 months, I have completed close to 40,000Km. I have stuck to the dealer for services and intend to do so till my warranty runs out. I will shift to a FNG then. I do not have many concerns with the car, except for a few rattles from the dashboard which increases every time I ask the service centre (or any one for that matter) to look into it. I have now learnt to live with them. A major accident was averted when I had a rear tyre burst on NH4 - till date I wonder why the tyre burst took place. Fortunately for everyone, my speed was around 60kmph at that time and I was able to control the car.
My only complaint with the dealer is the fact that they refuse to be transparent when it comes to service despite repeated requests.
Hi Mate, I own a SV IDTEC. Good to hear have experienced only minimal rattles. Sad to hear about the tyre burst and Happy to know that you were able to control the car.

Just curious to know few answers for the questions that come immediately in my mind on your tyre burst incident.

Could you please answer them?

1.Was there any prior noticeable damage in that rear tyre before that ride that day?or the tyre didnt have much thread?
2.What was the tyre pressure maintained that day?was it lower than the recommended psi of 30?
3.What was the load in the car i.e. 5 persons or less?
4.Since you have meant NH4, i dont think the road would have been poor..But was that the case?
5.What is the measure that has been followed after the burst?Changed all tyres or just only the damaged one?

Last edited by DieselTorq : 24th June 2018 at 06:02. Reason: Added a request..
Old 25th June 2018, 08:59   #2387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTorq View Post
Could you please answer them?

1.Was there any prior noticeable damage in that rear tyre before that ride that day?or the tyre didnt have much thread?
2.What was the tyre pressure maintained that day?was it lower than the recommended psi of 30?
3.What was the load in the car i.e. 5 persons or less?
4.Since you have meant NH4, i dont think the road would have been poor..But was that the case?
5.What is the measure that has been followed after the burst?Changed all tyres or just only the damaged one?

Hi! Thanks for the reply. The following hopefully answers your query.

1. The tyres were new at that stage and I had checked all of them before the drive. This was a long trip (Pune -Coorg - Mysore - Bangalore - Pune) and the burst happened during the last leg. Speeds were always around 90-110 and it was not a warm day.

2. This is what I suspect. I did not get a reliable place to check tyre pressure that morning and I decided to use one of the road side hand held devices to set it up for the day.

3. Car had fair amount of luggage but only 2 adult passengers on the front seats.

4. Cement but good smooth roads.

5. Since the mileage on low at that time got only the damaged one changed.

Thankfully I was passing through a village and my speed was low by highway standards. I was able to stop the car safely in about 200m.
feluda86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 21:57   #2388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshmk View Post
Thanks Guys,
Took the delivery of the car and I'm loving it!

Congrats on the purchase!! We have the same color Jazz.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 02:41   #2389
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Model: S AT CVT 2017

Currently S-AT comes with single low tone horn. I generally avoid using horn inside city conditions. I went for a long drive and realized that current horn set up is inadequate for highway use (overtaking trailers on single lane NH ). First of all, CVT lacks the precise overtaking control that I can get from stick shift and without a decent horn, I feel handicapped. I believe the vehicles ahead can barely hear me and I cannot blame them at all in case they don't provide clearance to overtake. I decided to change this to a dual horn set up. I am more concerned with altering the electrical system as this is a CVT model.

I raised this issue with Honda yesterday and their customer service scheduled a call with local service center. The service center guys did call me and they explained me why horn cannot be upgraded. They tried high tone horn on their demo vehicle and the fuse blew out. They compared the circuit diagram from V CVT and found that the battery used is same for both the models but V-CVT has provision for fog lamps and dual horn.

I asked them to change the wiring from V-CVT as low tone horn is unsafe for highway driving. As per them the overall cost will be around 20k ( 10k for wiring harness + 1.5k for dual horn + 8k for something else ). Then I asked them to put a relay with external wiring directly from battery. They told me "Honda asked them to educate me about the vehicle specification and refrain from doing any modifications" and there are chances of the coil inside the steering wheel getting shorted. Shouldn't electrical system design of automobiles be tolerant to small changes ?

Has anyone upgraded their single low tone horn with dual horn set up ? What was the fuse rating ? I believe adding a relay and external wiring harness should not overload the battery as V-CVT uses the same battery. In addition, V-CVT has front fog lamps, auto climate and a full touch screen music system ( when engine is switched off and alternator not in picture). Same battery is enough to withstand a higher load. My car is in fully stock condition with no speaker upgrades. I just added reverse camera set up on my rear view camera ( that too from the showroom ).

I feel cheated that after paying 9 lakhs for a hatchback, Honda did not even provide a simple dual horn set up. Considering the Indian road conditions and driving habits on single road NH, Honda should consider this as a safety hazard

Can current Honda customers together sign a petition to get this safety feature included / reworked ?

Thanks
Rahul

Last edited by rahulskumar : 27th June 2018 at 03:05. Reason: adding more details
Old 27th June 2018, 08:09   #2390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Hi Guys,

Currently S-AT comes with single low tone horn.

I asked them to change the wiring from V-CVT as low tone horn is unsafe for highway driving. As per them the overall cost will be around 20k ( 10k for wiring harness + 1.5k for dual horn + 8k for something else ).

Has anyone upgraded their single low tone horn with dual horn set up ? What was the fuse rating ? I believe adding a relay and external wiring harness should not overload the battery as V-CVT uses the same battery. In addition, V-CVT has front fog lamps, auto climate and a full touch screen music system ( when engine is switched off and alternator not in picture). Same battery is enough to withstand a higher load. My car is in fully stock condition with no speaker upgrades. I just added reverse camera set up on my rear view camera ( that too from the showroom ).
20K for just a dual horn setup? come on.. that is just absurd.
I think it is not necessary to go too much into specifics for just upgrading the horn setup in a car. I agree, this kind of specifics should be thought about when doing electrical upgrades in older cars or bikes (say Ambassador, RX-100, etc) since the batteries might be of very low capacity and the wiring harness might not withstand much load. Modern day cars and bikes should be capable of withstanding minor changes like dual horn setup. Bear in mind that heavy duty air horns would require additional care while upgrading but just a simple dual horn setup shouldn't be any problem.

My 2011 Punto came with a single horn. I added a Roots Windtone dual horn within a week of delivery and it is running fine without any issues for the past 6.5 years.
samcan123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 08:19   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
Bear in mind that heavy duty air horns would require additional care while upgrading but just a simple dual horn setup shouldn't be any problem.

Thanks for your input. I am looking for basic roots double horn set up. I will check them out today
Old 27th June 2018, 08:20   #2392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Hi Guys,

Currently S-AT comes with single low tone horn. I generally avoid using horn inside city conditions. I went for a long drive and realized that current horn set up is inadequate for highway use (overtaking trailers on single lane NH ). I decided to change this to a dual horn set up. I am more concerned with altering the electrical system as this is a CVT model.

I asked them to change the wiring from V-CVT as low tone horn is unsafe for highway driving. As per them the overall cost will be around 20k ( 10k for wiring harness + 1.5k for dual horn + 8k for something else ). Then I asked them to put a relay with external wiring directly from battery. They told me "Honda asked them to educate me about the vehicle specification and refrain from doing any modifications" and there are chances of the coil inside the steering wheel getting shorted. Shouldn't electrical system design of automobiles be tolerant to small changes ?

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. My Jazz as well as City have had Euro style windtone horns for quite some time now. Go to your nearby car accessory shop. Have a Roots or Minda windtone horn (sounds like the one on premium VWs and Skoda's) installed with a relay. Total damage will be around 2000 bucks.

Remember, relay is must. That's what keeps the electricals from overloading. But this is accessory installation 101. A most basic thing that everyone knows.
Old 27th June 2018, 08:25   #2393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. My Jazz as well as City have had Euro style windtone horns for quite some time now. Go to your nearby car accessory shop. Have a Roots or Minda windtone horn (sounds like the one on premium VWs and Skoda's) installed with a relay. Total damage will be around 2000 bucks.

Remember, relay is must. That's what keeps the electricals from overloading. But this is accessory installation 101. A most basic thing that everyone knows.

I do know about relay. I was more concerned as this is a CVT model.
Old 27th June 2018, 09:49   #2394
Senior - BHPian

The installation of the horn is trivial in terms of effort & cost.

Nor does it interfere with electricals in any significant way. All my cars have had 'upgraded' horns - typically Hella wind tone duals. (The current Crysta & Jazz are stock - am trying to do my bit to reduce noise pollution).

However be advised that in case of any serious issue, Honda or the dealer can point to this and void warranty. Even if the issue has nothing to do with horns or electricals.

There were a few stories of that nature in t-bhp itself.
Old 27th June 2018, 22:08   #2395
BHPian

I have a 2016 petrol Jazz VX MT. I use it for only around 400-500kms per month. My mileage is around 13kmpl in city limits and 16kmpl when I go on highways (90-100kmph speeds). Is it normal? Feels a little low but just wanted to check.
Old 29th June 2018, 20:19   #2396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I have a 2016 petrol Jazz VX MT. I use it for only around 400-500kms per month. My mileage is around 13kmpl in city limits and 16kmpl when I go on highways (90-100kmph speeds). Is it normal? Feels a little low but just wanted to check.
Please remember avg also depends on your driving pattern and traffic. IMHO your numbers seem OK to me. Your highway number is marginally less, may be you are driving in the range of 100-120kmph. In Jazz the maximum mileage can be extracted in the range of 70-90Kmph in cruise mode.

Last edited by adi_gt : 29th June 2018 at 20:20.
Old 1st July 2018, 12:51   #2397
BHPian

Hello there !

I recently bought a pre-owned, Nov-2015, 1.2VXMT with 25K on the odo. With a sedate driving style I am quite satisfied with the buy; however have the following queries to bounce off this wonderful forum

1) Coming from a 1.2-Xcent-MT I find the gear shifts "not as smooth" as the Hyundai. Is that how it is in the Jazz?

2) I drive with my left palm resting on the gear knob most of the time. I feel a vibration passing through the gear lever while in the 3rd. If the gear lever is moved by a few mm from it's resting position, the vibration stops. Any clues ?

3) After trying out the car for a couple of weeks I plan to change the engine oil to synthetic. My friendly neighborhood garage stocks Mobil 0W40. Any feedback on this oil or recommendation for a better alternative?

4) The AVN screen looks quite washed out in Chennai sunlight. Is there any screen film available that can make it look a bit more "presentable"?

5) I would like to make the side view mirrors to "auto-fold". There are a few devices available on amazon and other sites. Has anybody tried this out ? Any part # recommendation?

6) Last but not the least - There are some "noises" mostly from the left front & rear doors. It sounds more like a creaking sound and not a rattle. Took apart the door panels and couldn't detect anything amiss. Any clues?

Last edited by knockout : 1st July 2018 at 13:18.
knockout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 04:40   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout View Post

1) Coming from a 1.2-Xcent-MT I find the gear shifts "not as smooth" as the Hyundai. Is that how it is in the Jazz?

3) After trying out the car for a couple of weeks I plan to change the engine oil to synthetic. My friendly neighborhood garage stocks Mobil 0W40. Any feedback on this oil or recommendation for a better alternative?

6) Last but not the least - There are some "noises" mostly from the left front & rear doors. It sounds more like a creaking sound and not a rattle. Took apart the door panels and couldn't detect anything amiss. Any clues?

Let me answer few of your queries

1. Hyundai gear shifts are excellent and very few competitors can match them.

3. Honda provides synthetic oil @Rs 410 per liter. If you intend to get your service done from dealership, just stick with them. Services are expensive around 5-6k every 6 months for CVT and oil change is mandatory to avoid warranty. Good thing is that their synthetic blend oil is cheaper. I'm not aware of the availability of this oil in local stores

6. Resolving rattles is a nightmare. I have few rattles in my 7 year old Accord in USA. Initially thought it came from rear deck, but after 4 months I found that it was coming from front fender. Lift the vehicle on a ramp ( basically all the wheels should be freely rotating) and then hit the tyres with a wooden hammer. This is a much easier way to find the rattles. I learnt it the hard way. Honda's do rattle, even my friends 2017 Accord with just 4000 miles on it rattles a bit on California county roads
Old 2nd July 2018, 05:22   #2399
BHPian

Finally I upgraded the wheels after a year. I did not upgrade the tires and I am quite happy with the provided 175/65 r15 Goodyear triple max except for road noise. They have just run 5k kms till date. The person who replaced the wheels told me original steel wheels are 5J and the new alloys are 5.5J. After 2 days I found the specs from Neo website and it is 7J

Basically the OEM steel rims were 5.5.J and the new alloys are 7J. After upgrading the wheels, the steering has become a bit heavy to my liking but the car wobbles sideways on uneven roads. Can anyone let me know is 7J really good for long run ? I don't know if this is a good upgrade, 5.5J was the providing me best handling

These 15 inch neo alloys weight around 6.5 Kg compared to the original 7.5 Kg steel wheels. ( neowheels.com/product.php?size_id=4 , search for XOLT)

Cost of alloys including wheel balancing and alignment : Rs.23900 ( Rs.22500 for alloys + Rs.1000 for valves + Rs400 for weights ).

Cost of adding additional horn : Rs. 1250 ( Rs. 750 for horn + Rs. 450 for wiring harness and relay , Rs.50 for push button )

Added few pics, also added my garage pic with her cousins in Mumbai ( Toyota corolla 2017 VL AT and Dad's Audi A4 2013 1.8 TFSI ). Currently all the 4 cars are automatic petrol's ( Accord in US )
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_1762.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_1777.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_1779.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_1770.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_1766.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_1767.jpg  

Last edited by rahulskumar : 2nd July 2018 at 05:47. Reason: adding details
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:36   #2400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout View Post
Hello there !

I recently bought a pre-owned, Nov-2015, 1.2VXMT with 25K on the odo. With a sedate driving style I am quite satisfied with the buy; however have the following queries to bounce off this wonderful forum

2) I drive with my left palm resting on the gear knob most of the time. I feel a vibration passing through the gear lever while in the 3rd. If the gear lever is moved by a few mm from it's resting position, the vibration stops. Any clues ?

4) The AVN screen looks quite washed out in Chennai sunlight. Is there any screen film available that can make it look a bit more "presentable"?

5) I would like to make the side view mirrors to "auto-fold". There are a few devices available on amazon and other sites. Has anybody tried this out ? Any part # recommendation?

I own a VX diesel Jazz and have owned a 1.2 Brio in the past. I will try to answer some of your questions based on my experience.

1. Yes, I had found the Brio's gear shift to be notchy. As far as I know, Jazz has an updated gear box (please correct me if I am wrong), so my observation may not be valid.

3. Check the manual for the oil grade recommended and stick to it. If the vehicle has extended warranty, I would be wary of getting it services elsewhere. Services are affordable if you avoid the value added services that the executives try to sell you everytime.

4. VX model has an appalling touchscreen. It is a pity that nothing much can be done about it but replace it (Again the warranty is a concern!).

5. I do not think anything can be done without voiding the warranty.

6. My car also has rattles coming from the front left of the dash. One of the rattles was fixed by the service centre - result of poor fitting of the glove box lid. A second rattle was the result of poorly fitted cabin air filter. Investigation is on for several more from that region. I did have a rattling back door, but that was fixed when I had asked them to refit the door panel. However, I would like to warn you that with every visit to the service centre and every attempt on their part to resolve rattles (with foam) has only increased the number of different rattles. I would suggest you to tread with caution.

If your car is out of warranty or you do not care about it much, I would suggest you to get it serviced outside.
CAUTION: Do stick to the manufacturer recommended grades for all consumables.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks