Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2019, 10:12   #2641
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivaji View Post
Dear All,

I am returning to India in September after spending 29 years overseas, mainly in Singapore and Australia. I need to buy a car. It will have to be a petrol automatic. I've been checking out the various options on the Internet. I had a look at the SUVs but wasn't impressed by what's on offer. Among the hatchbacks the only one that I liked was the Jazz. Among the sedans I liked the Verna, City and Vento 1.2 TSI. If I decide to go in for the Jazz I need some advise.
Have you checked with Hyundai Venue Turbo DCT? This is a brand new vehicle and from Hyundai, so service network/parts availability is expected to be far better than Hondas.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 25th July 2019 at 10:17.
Old 25th July 2019, 17:05   #2642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Have you checked with Hyundai Venue Turbo DCT? This is a brand new vehicle and from Hyundai, so service network/parts availability is expected to be far better than Hondas.
Thanks Rajiv for your advise to check out the new Venue.

In the month of June the Venue was the second most sold SUV in India. The Creta is at 3rd place now.

I plan to check out the Venue along with the Jazz, Vento, Verna, City and the new Glanza. I plan to do a test drive an each and find out the best price I can get on each.

I'll settle on one of these.

Thanks again. Best regards,

Vidyadhar
Shivaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 22:52   #2643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rajiv for your advise to check out the new Venue.

In the month of June the Venue was the second most sold SUV in India. The Creta is at 3rd place now.

I plan to check out the Venue along with the Jazz, Vento, Verna, City and the new Glanza. I plan to do a test drive an each and find out the best price I can get on each.

I'll settle on one of these.

Thanks again. Best regards,

Vidyadhar
Sir, since you are looking for automatic I suggested Venue but otherwise Tata Nexon is also a very good choice in all aspects. It comes with AMT automatic but no match to Hyundai's DCT. Please try Nexon AMT petrol as well before finalizing any of the above cars.
Old 26th July 2019, 04:57   #2644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

I am returning to India in September after spending 29 years overseas, mainly in Singapore and Australia. I need to buy a car. It will have to be a petrol automatic. ...

Vidyadhar
Dear Vidyadhar

Welcome back

You should perhaps consult this thread (Which Automatic Hatch?)

Be warned - the sub ten lakh automatics are all underpowered. I think in real world conditions the Jazz would have been great to live with and given similar mileage with the 1.5 l engine it comes with in the US market rather than the detuned 1.2 L mated to a geriatric CVT. The fault is with the engine being underpowered and not really the CVT, IMO

I drove a loaner Corolla automatic for about 4500 km on a South India road trip. Was an absolute pleasure to drive and even returned about 14 kmpl on the highway. My Jazz returns 8-9 kmpl in Bangalore traffic (full to full and I have complete lifetime history)

And the Corolla is no drivers car!

Perhaps you should consider a used D segment car if your budget is sacrosanct. The Toyota Yaris might a good bet too and with TKM stopping production, you might get some good deals.

Other than parallel parking, the length of the car does not affect ease of driving in any way

Last edited by sridhu : 26th July 2019 at 05:01.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 07:36   #2645
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

I am returning to India in September after spending 29 years overseas, mainly in Singapore and Australia. I need to buy a car. It will have to be a petrol automatic. I've been checking out the various options on the Internet. I had a look at the SUVs but wasn't impressed by what's on offer. Among the hatchbacks the only one that I liked was the Jazz. Among the sedans I liked the Verna, City and Vento 1.2 TSI. If I decide to go in for the Jazz I need some advise.

Chennai is my hometown. Being an ex air force officer I plan to buy the car through the CSD. Which dealer in Chennai would you recommend? What additional points do I need to look out for? What would be the on road price for the top of the range Jazz?

Much appreciate tips and guidance from BHPians.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks in advance. Best regards,

Vidyadhar

As you are returning back from overseas, do not expect the petrol hatchback offerings in India to be as powerful as you did expect. The vehicle specs look good on paper but in reality most of them disappoint. Jazz is offered with 1.5 litre petrol engine in US markets.

I will suggest you to test drive each and every vehicle fully loaded.

Apart from service cost and availability, the most fun to drive hatchback is polo 1.2 TSI. The same engine and transmission is used on Vento automatic. I see that you are coming back after 29 years. If you are planning a car for your retirement days, Maruti/Hyundai is the best. Venue numbers are high as it is a new vehicle. I would suggest you to explore Skoda Octavia ( excellent vehicle ) or Innova ( I dont like to drive ). Maruti will be releasing few more vehicles this year based on Ertiga platform.
Old 26th July 2019, 09:24   #2646
BHPian

Jazz is great car, but you may want to check out Venue 1.0 DCT.
aerohit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 10:16   #2647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Dear Vidyadhar

Welcome back

Be warned - the sub ten lakh automatics are all underpowered. I think in real world conditions the Jazz would have been great to live with and given similar mileage with the 1.5 l engine it comes with in the US market rather than the detuned 1.2 L mated to a geriatric CVT. The fault is with the engine being underpowered and not really the CVT, IMO.

Other than parallel parking, the length of the car does not affect ease of driving in any way
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Sridhu for your welcome.

Here in Australia we have a Jazz powered by the 1.5L engine. I bought it for my daughter who used it for 10 years and now being used by my grandson. It has clocked more than 200,000 KMs. I've driven it once in a while. Good car. My daughter upgraded to a Mazda CX3.

For my own use I drive the Toyota Tarago, a 3.5 L vehicle. I've had it with me for 11 years now. Gives me excellent service.

My wife and I plan to spend half the time in India and half the time in Australia. Hence I don't want to spend too much on the car.

You have a valid point about 1.2 L cars being underpowered. I am also considering the C segment sedans: Verna, City and Vento. I'll settle on the one on which I can get a good deal, after a test drive.

Cheers

Vidyadhar

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th July 2019 at 11:41. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire post as it may inconvenience small screen / mobile users. Thanks :)
Shivaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 10:25   #2648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Dear Vidyadhar

Welcome back

Be warned - the sub ten lakh automatics are all underpowered. I think in real world conditions the Jazz would have been great to live with and given similar mileage with the 1.5 l engine it comes with in the US market rather than the detuned 1.2 L mated to a geriatric CVT. The fault is with the engine being underpowered and not really the CVT, IMO

I drove a loaner Corolla automatic for about 4500 km on a South India road trip. Was an absolute pleasure to drive and even returned about 14 kmpl on the highway. My Jazz returns 8-9 kmpl in Bangalore traffic (full to full and I have complete lifetime history)

And the Corolla is no drivers car!

Perhaps you should consider a used D segment car if your budget is sacrosanct. The Toyota Yaris might a good bet too and with TKM stopping production, you might get some good deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
As you are returning back from overseas, do not expect the petrol hatchback offerings in India to be as powerful as you did expect. The vehicle specs look good on paper but in reality most of them disappoint. Jazz is offered with 1.5 litre petrol engine in US markets.

I will suggest you to test drive each and every vehicle fully loaded.

Apart from service cost and availability, the most fun to drive hatchback is polo 1.2 TSI. The same engine and transmission is used on Vento automatic. I see that you are coming back after 29 years. If you are planning a car for your retirement days, Maruti/Hyundai is the best. Venue numbers are high as it is a new vehicle. I would suggest you to explore Skoda Octavia ( excellent vehicle ) or Innova ( I dont like to drive ). Maruti will be releasing few more vehicles this year based on Ertiga platform.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, Rahul, for your input. Much appreciated.

Jazz if offered with a 1.5 L petrol engine here in Australia also. We've had one for 12 years now. My daughter used it for 10 years and handed it over to her son after upgrading to the Mazda CX3.

You are quite right about 1.2 L cars being underpowered. That's why my other options are the 1.5 L Verna, City or the 1.2 L turbo charged Vento TSI. The Polo TSI has a very small boot and the rear seat area is very cramped.

As you rightly advised I plan to test drive all prospective vehicles before finally deciding on one.

Cheers

Vidyadhar
Old 26th July 2019, 10:28   #2649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Jazz is great car, but you may want to check out Venue 1.0 DCT.
Thanks, Aerohit, yes, I do plan to test drive the new Venue also. It has clocked very good sales figures in just these two months.

Cheers

Vidyadhar
Old 27th July 2019, 18:38   #2650
BHPian

I am facing an issue with my 2016 Jazz. Today, it stopped suddenly when I had to slow down suddenly due to an obstacle. After that, the car refused to start and it looked there was no battery power. Nothing in the instrument panel was lighting up too. I was able to put it to the side of the road as it was a bit downhill. I then had a mechanic jump start it, and it started immediately. I was surprised on how suddenly the battery seemed to have drained. I had not turned on any lights overnight. The only thing I had done was keeping my radio on, and I was charging my phone through the charging point.

I decided to head back home, and on the way for couple of seconds, the steering wheel felt inoperable like it does when engine is turned off. The car stereo also restarted and all lights on instrument console came on like it does when you first start the car. After couple of seconds, it was back to normal. It happened like this 3-4 times on my way home, around 7-8 kms. Once I reached my home and turned off the car, the battery also appeared to be fully drained. Nothing came on when I turn the key.

Is the power steering losing its capability normal with a bad battery? what might be happening? And why did the battery go bad all of a sudden with no warning. After driving for around 7-8 kms over 30 minutes, I thought the battery would have recharged a little. But nothing seems to have happened. Am baffled. Planning to contact Honda service center on Monday. But surprised and concerned with how the car behaved.

Anyone faced similar issue with Jazz before?
Old 27th July 2019, 18:45   #2651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I am facing an issue with my 2016 Jazz. Today, it stopped suddenly when I had to slow down suddenly due to an obstacle.

Sounds like either fuse issue or rat bite issues.
Old 30th July 2019, 11:36   #2652
BHPian

Can any CVT owner verify if the air filter is tightly held ? Below image is from my uncles stick shift model and it is tight. Mine is loose and might be allowing dirt to enter, can someone please confirm ?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-air_filter.jpg  

Old 30th July 2019, 12:06   #2653
BHPian

Quote:
I am facing an issue with my 2016 Jazz. Today, it stopped suddenly when I had to slow down suddenly due to an obstacle. After that, the car refused to start and it looked there was no battery power. ...

I took the car to the Honda service center and they verified that it was just the battery that had died. It died a sudden death, no warnings, nothing. Till then, the car would start in first crank of the key, no lights getting dim, nothing. In my earlier cars, I could see tell-tale signs of battery getting weak. In this case, nothing.

Anyway, got the battery replaced by BatteryBhai.com. He charged Rs 3500 (dealer quoted Rs 4800 for the same). Car is now working great.
Old 30th July 2019, 12:19   #2654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It died a sudden death, no warnings, nothing.
Quote:
I am facing an issue with my 2016 Jazz. Today, it stopped suddenly when I had to slow down suddenly due to an obstacle. After that, the car refused to start and it looked there was no battery power

Is the power steering losing its capability normal with a bad battery? what might be happening? And why did the battery go bad all of a sudden with no warning. After driving for around 7-8 kms over 30 minutes, I thought the battery would have recharged a little. But nothing seems to have happened. Am baffled. Planning to contact Honda service center on Monday. But surprised and concerned with how the car behaved.

Yes your battery is dead. Its now a days a common phenomenon that they simply drop dead without any prior indication whatsoever. Fall off a cliff per se.
Was it an Exide by chance? I have faced this kind of sudden death twice with Exide over last 8 years.

Steering doesn't work via battery. If things were getting reset and your EPS wasn't responding even when the engine was running - please get your alternator also checked. It seems your electricals are not at the optimum. In addition to the alternator - get wiring harnesses also checked as this can be caused by lose/cut wiring courtesy of rats.
Old 30th July 2019, 14:27   #2655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Was it an Exide by chance? I have faced this kind of sudden death twice with Exide over last 8 years.

Steering doesn't work via battery. If things were getting reset and your EPS wasn't responding even when the engine was running - please get your alternator also checked.

It was SF Sonic, came with the car, just 3.5 years old one.

Thanks for info on alternator. My car is due for service, will ask them to check it out too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks