Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2019, 12:48   #2671
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek-Bharathy View Post
Hello Jazz Owners,

Need some assistance.

I am encountering a strange rattle from my car in recent times. This rattle looks like a metallic rattle which happens only at 80-90 Km/hr on the highways. It does vanish once i cross 100 Km/hr.

It seems to come from the engine bay, though not sure.

My car is a Honda Jazz VX model with ~50,000 Kms clocked.

Can some help in case they have experienced it in the past.

Check the bonnet hood support rod. I had to bend it a bit to remove the rattle
Old 19th August 2019, 12:52   #2672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek-Bharathy View Post
Hello Jazz Owners,

Need some assistance.

I am encountering a strange rattle from my car in recent times. This rattle looks like a metallic rattle which happens only at 80-90 Km/hr on the highways. It does vanish once i cross 100 Km/hr.
Quite common on all cars at some point of time. Something is loose & resonating with engine's vibrations at that particular speed-rpm combination. See if it happens even if you just revv in neutral to similar rpms in your parking. That would rule out wind being a factor.

Check if something (many times plumbing pipes that have come lose from their fasteners) is touching anything around the radiator or if the horn's attachment is getting lose. This can be any of the hundreds of metal clips having gone lose around some hose connection and hanging out of place.

Does Jazz have fastened plastic caps on the rear of the headlamps over the rubber plugs behind the bulbs? If yes - check if one of its latches has cracked & its a bit lose. These caps often resonate with engine vibrations if they aren't in their expected fitment.

Will need close inspection from above and under the engine bay I'm afraid.

Your's is an IVTEC and not diesel. In case of diesels this is often the pipe from the intercooler trying to be friendly with under body plates or other parts. Non issue in your case though.

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th August 2019 at 12:55.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 13:06   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Check the bonnet hood support rod. I had to bend it a bit to remove the rattle
Thanks Rahul. Will sure check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Quite common on all cars at some point of time. Something is loose & resonating with engine's vibrations at that particular speed-rpm combination. See if it happens even if you just revv in neutral to similar rpms in your parking. That would rule out wind being a factor.

Check if something (many times plumbing pipes that have come lose from their fasteners) is touching anything around the radiator or if the horn's attachment is getting lose. This can be any of the hundreds of metal clips having gone lose around some hose connection and hanging out of place.

Does Jazz have fastened plastic caps on the rear of the headlamps over the rubber plugs behind the bulbs? If yes - check if one of its latches has cracked & its a bit lose. These caps often resonate with engine vibrations if they aren't in their expected fitment.

Will need close inspection from above and under the engine bay I'm afraid.

Your's is an IVTEC and not diesel. In case of diesels this is often the pipe from the intercooler trying to be friendly with under body plates or other parts. Non issue in your case though.
Thanks for your suggestion. Will sure check and update in the same thread.

Last edited by ajmat : 19th August 2019 at 13:27.
Old 19th August 2019, 23:17   #2674
BHPian

Just completed a wonderful road trip ( 2800 kms in 4 days ) I'm not attaching any pics as we are just discussing about Jazz. I drove the complete trip and car is inching towards 32k kms.

Day 1 : Hyderabad -Kadapa ( 440 kms very good roads, mileage around 21)
Day 1: Visited places around Kadapa. Belum caves, Mahanandi Temple and Ghandikota ( 400 kms , roads were not so good mileage around 15 )
Day 2: Kadapa - Lepakshi - Bangalore ( picked up my cousin) - Mangalore - Kollur ( 830 kms , mileage around 17 )
Day 3: Rest day for Jazz. Visited Kodachadri mountain ranges. I had already visited 2 times before. My cousin had never been to this place before. Hired a Mahindra Jeep ( only a Jeep and an expert driver can take us there )

Day 4: Kollur- Sringeri -Hassan- Bangalore -Hyderabad ( 1070 kms, 17 hours , mileage around 18 ) Took this route as I had to avoid Shiradi Ghats, roads were not in good condition.

I'm really not happy with the 15 inch tires. 185/70 R14 Michelin XM2 on my old Ritz VDi absorbed rough patches on road surface in a much better manner. Though I'm very very happy with the seating and steering of Jazz but I'm unable to tolerate stiff ride. There is a very narrow margin around 32-33 psi which makes ride a bt better. If I reduce the pressure below 30, CVT feels really sluggish. My earlier experiment with 185/65 R15 did not go well either. To be frank, Continental tires also are not that quite on rough roads. I should have opted for Michelin's. I dont know how much buyback can I get for 8k driven tires. The tires feels similar to the original Goodyears but has tougher side wall. Grip is excellent even when driven on patches of water (no fear of aquaplaning) but the thread pattern makes it a a bit noisy on certain type of road surface

Original Jazz E variants used to come with 175/65 R14 tires.
1. Do you guys think 185/70 R14 Michelin with steel rims solve the hard/stiff ride quality ?
2. Should I try replacing only the front tires with Michelin ( Thread pattern will change front vs rear )

If this does not work I will think of selling Jazz and getting a heavier car like XUV or Innova crysta for my highway rides. If someone wants to check out my car please PM me ( MH registered with few mods )

Other questions:
3. When ABS kicks in, does your pedal feel disconnected till we release the brakes ?
4. Anyone using 100/90 H4 bulbs , did it damage the dome ?

Thanks

Last edited by rahulskumar : 19th August 2019 at 23:40.
rahulskumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 10:09   #2675
BHPian

Quote:
Just completed a wonderful road trip ( 2800 kms in 4 days ) I'm not attaching any pics as we are just discussing about Jazz. I drove the complete trip and car is inching towards 32k kms.

Thanks
Hope you had a safe monsoon experience over at western ghats. I had visited some of the places you mentioned during December and had mixed experience with my Jazz. Mine was a new car then, a VX CVT and it struggled during tough inclines and the rubberband effect made it hard to overtake. Though, I must admit, the engine was super smooth and silent. Looking at your mileage figures and the quick turnaround time, I guess your Jazz is a diesel.

I upgraded the stock tyres within a week of purchase, went with Michelin ST4 195/60 R15 and it has performed very well. It rides on rough patches and smooth tarmac alike and I am in love with these tyres. It is also silent which is one of your requirement.

Due to the lack of power and my highway ride requirement, I recently purchased a Crysta and Jazz has taken over the city responsibilities. To be fair, Jazz CVT is a fantastic city car, quite unbeatable in my opinion.

I have also upgraded to Philips 100/ 90 H4 bulbs with relay and it has been performing well. There is no visible damage to the dome yet as I am careful to switch off the lights during traffic signals. Keeping the temp intact is the key. In my previous car, a Figo, it had damaged the dome with cracks and dark spots. I had to replace the dome before selling the car. Why don't you look at LED's? I am thinking of going that route very soon.
mug:mush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 10:39   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug:mush View Post
Mine was a new car then, a VX CVT and it struggled during tough inclines and the rubberband effect made it hard to overtake. Though, I must admit, the engine was super smooth and silent. Looking at your mileage figures and the quick turnaround time, I guess your Jazz is a diesel.

I upgraded the stock tyres within a week of purchase, went with Michelin ST4 195/60 R15 and it has performed very well. It rides on rough patches and smooth tarmac alike and I am in love with these tyres. It is also silent which is one of your requirement.

Due to the lack of power and my highway ride requirement, I recently purchased a Crysta and Jazz has taken over the city responsibilities. To be fair, Jazz CVT is a fantastic city car, quite unbeatable in my opinion.
Why don't you look at LED's? I am thinking of going that route very soon.

You have a great combination of highway and city cruiser. Mine is S-CVT. You have to release the throttle as soon as rpm crosses 2.5k. Engine rpm will reduce but it will maintain the same speed. On steep inclines, I use L mode. Yes, the rubber band effect is felt when we try to increase speed above 100. I believe the noise I hear comes from transmission. Engine is smooth and revs freely. CVT is not good for hilly areas.

Its true, Jazz is unbeatable inside city. Just try to leave the gas pedal as soon as it crosses 2000 rpm and see how the mileage improves even inside city. On highways, we can cruise 100-110 around 1700 rpm. One more thing, those 195 tires will also have an effect on mileage.

I researched a bit, but we need to cut the rubber sleeve. I thought 100/90 with relay and ceramic holder should be better. the beam focus on current set up is really good, but on highways I cannot see anything during the rains. I was using 100/90 in my Ritz,the dome used to get heated up inside city but there was no damage till I sold the car.

Last edited by rahulskumar : 20th August 2019 at 10:52.
Old 20th August 2019, 11:03   #2677
BHPian

Well, you make some very good points there. I've tried holding the RPM below 2-2.5K but I am not going anywhere near 110Kms. Maybe the engine will improve once it reaches 10K Kms, maybe I am so used to turbo diesels that I am finding it difficult to drive a petrol. The truth is out there

Quote:
I researched a bit, but we need to cut the rubber sleeve. I thought 100/90 with relay and ceramic holder should be better. the beam focus on current set up is really good, but on highways I cannot see anything during the rains. I was using 100/90 in my Ritz,the dome used to get heated up inside city but there was no damage till I sold the car.
As far as I know, rubber sleeve hasn't been cut in my car. Further, Jazz is using a ceramic holder, so did Figo. I think, the design of the dome matters a lot. The dome of Figo was quite small, therefore decreasing the temperature dissipation.
mug:mush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:42   #2678
BHPian

When I took Jazz for 30 months service in Hyderabad, the service person informed me that the car is out of warranty. The official standard 2 year warranty for my Jazz expired on April 6th 2019.

Here is my issue. I purchased this vehicle from Honda showroom Thane for my wife. But she still drives her Activa and I keep driving this car whenever I visit India. While purchasing itself I had already paid Rs.7268 for extended warranty and additional Rs.4711 for RSA. I have the payment receipt with me. RSA is valid for 4 years. Ideally my warranty should expire by April 2021. I did my first 2 services from Thane showroom, next 2 services were done at Trivandrum. 5th service was done at Hyderabad. I raised my issue with Thane service center but no one responded even after several emails and calls. I raised a complaint with Honda yesterday and by evening I received a call from Thane showroom. They informed me their system shows that my vehicle's extended warranty is cancelled. Now they are offering me " Any day warranty" for 2 years free of cost. How come EW got cancelled, should I be concerned with this ?

Even my purchase experience from this showroom was not that great. The sales person had promised me some mats but backed out once the payment was made. Even the paid reverse camera accessory were not of good quality and I had to change it after 13 months ( just after the 12 month warranty got over). I told them before itself that the module is not working properly , sometimes there was latency but they never acknowledged.

Such experience really makes me hate Honda especially in India. I have convinced many of my friends and relatives not to buy Honda city and made them purchase Creta and now they are very happy with their decision. In US, I had never taken my Accord to any Honda service center except for official airbag recalls. The car was a workhorse. I used to take my accord for all my long drives and she never let me down even after 200k miles. My MB-E class was used just during the weekdays and hardly covered 12k miles in 3 years. I just used to buy Mobil 1 extended oil filter and used to replace oil when oil degradation was around 30%. Never tracked miles or months, just relied on the oil wear indicator. I was literally crying when I had to sell both my cars this year (as I had to relocate back to India). Once when I took my friends Subaru WRX for a service, even though the car was never serviced at showroom before, the dealer replaced the battery and headlamp assembly free of cost just before the official 2 year warranty was getting over. In India, Honda did not even acknowledge headlamp moisture issue and stated that this is normal. In India just like even after paying road tax we keep paying $ every 20 kms on state toll roads, car service is officially the next biggest scam for car enthusiast like us

Last edited by rahulskumar : 23rd August 2019 at 11:56.
Old 23rd August 2019, 13:10   #2679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They informed me their system shows that my vehicle's extended warranty is cancelled. Now they are offering me " Any day warranty" for 2 years free of cost. How come EW got cancelled, should I be concerned with this ?
You should absolutely be super concerned about this. When you bought the EW, did you receive the stamped paperwork? If yes, then this is a breach of a legal document. Please send the dealer a legal notice.
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 16:02   #2680
Distinguished - BHPian

blackasta is absolutely right here. rahulskumar, I would take this up on priority with the dealership in question. How did the extended warranty suddenly get cancelled? Their attitude of ignoring your calls and emails leads me to suspect something is not right here.

Could it be that they collected the payment for the extended warranty from you (for which you have the payment receipt and I assume no other paperwork) and not logged it into the Honda systems? If you dont have any other extended warranty paperwork, I think they have pocketed the amount without getting you your warranty.

Also what is any day warranty? Ive never heard of such a term. When will it start getting effective? Is it from today for the next 2 years? Is it valid across every dealership or only at them? Nothing about this seems trustworthy.

Please do pursue this with Honda directly.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 19:33   #2681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
You should absolutely be super concerned about this. When you bought the EW, did you receive the stamped paperwork? If yes, then this is a breach of a legal document. Please send the dealer a legal notice.
I was not in India when this car was purchased. I saw the invoice and EW was mentioned. I did not receive any additional paperwork. After 10 months I saw my car for the first time (the odometer was just 600 kms ). First year Honda just kept replacing engine oil which was literally never used. Honda system shows EW cancelled in October. If it got "cancelled" after 6 months of purchase, that means my EW was active from the beginning. Even dealer does not know how it got cancelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Also what is any day warranty? Ive never heard of such a term. When will it start getting effective? Is it from today for the next 2 years? Is it valid across every dealership or only at them? Nothing about this seems trustworthy. Please do pursue this with Honda directly.
I had a lengthy discussion with dealer today and they sent out an email with Honda customer relation copied. As standard warranty is expired, there is no way they can extend it. They will provide me 1yr+1yr any time warranty ( https://www.hondacarindia.com/anytime-warranty )

It seems this is the only option with me now. I'm thinking to accept this and move ahead. Fighting with dealer and a company really requires plenty of energy and time. Any vehicle within 7 years and 100k kms can avail any time warranty. Price list is also provided in the above link. Now service center in Hyderabad will again check my vehicle before punching third year warranty. I just serviced 3 weeks back and they did not find any issues. Lets wait and check out the new report that will be generated now.

Last edited by rahulskumar : 23rd August 2019 at 19:50.
Old 23rd August 2019, 21:38   #2682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I saw the invoice and EW was mentioned. I did not receive any additional paperwork.
That should have been the first red flag. I received a 4 page document with details that was stamped & signed without asking. Same for RSA.

Quote:
Honda system shows EW cancelled in October. If it got "cancelled" after 6 months of purchase, that means my EW was active from the beginning. Even dealer does not know how it got cancelled.
They know very well how that got cancelled. Extended warranty has no surrender value, but is invalid if periodic maintenance services are not done in time. In this case, invalidation may mean cancellation. Please ask for a service record of your car, and check the dates of the services and match it with the dates you sent in your car for servicing. If you don't want to do it from that particular dealer, any other dealer would do that for you if you give them the VIN.

Quote:
Fighting with dealer and a company really requires plenty of energy and time.
Agreed.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 21:41   #2683
BANNED

If I were you, I'd take them to criminal court. Cancelling EW, before it starts? what about the money you paid?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 22:14   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
\ Extended warranty has no surrender value, but is invalid if periodic maintenance services are not done in time. In this case, invalidation may mean cancellation. Please ask for a service record of your car, and check the dates of the services and match it with the dates you sent in your car for servicing. If you don't want to do it from that particular dealer, any other dealer would do that for you if you give them the VIN..
Even though my car has been all around, I've never missed any of the service. First year all 3 services were done at Thane service center. Now a days I'm getting the service done every 4-5 months as my running has increased covering 3k kms a month (mostly highway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
If I were you, I'd take them to criminal court. Cancelling EW, before it starts? what about the money you paid?
They will provide me 1yr+1 yr any time warranty. I need not pay anything. If they need to punch, local service center will have to check my car once again.

Last edited by rahulskumar : 23rd August 2019 at 22:16.
Old 23rd August 2019, 22:22   #2685
BHPian

Quote:
They will provide me 1yr+1 yr any time warranty. I need not pay anything. If they need to punch, local service center will have to check my car once again.

Can you please elaborate on the 1yr +1 yr warranty? My cars extended 4 year warranty is expiring this August 30th. Can this be bought separately even after the expiration of the extended warranty? I inquired my regular SA on this warranty and he has no idea.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks