Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2020, 20:35   #2851
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Hello Everyone,
I have been driving a JAZZ CVT since 3 yrs in Mumbai and it has been a really niggle free ride in the choc a bloc traffic.
However, recently I have started feeling every single undulation on the road and feel something is really amiss with the suspension setup.
Car has done 34k and am mostly a sedate driver.

Is the suspension issue normal for a 34k driven car?Do we have some basic checks for suspension before I go to the service station?thanks
Shanks_Jazz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 05:16   #2852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks_Jazz View Post
Is the suspension issue normal for a 34k driven car?Do we have some basic checks for suspension before I go to the service station?
Is the car & tyres 3 yrs old?

What tyre pressure are you maintaining?

Apart from the tyres, check all the shocks, struts & their rubber bushings for visible leaks.

If you don’t find any leaks & nothing cracked/broken in the suspension, shift your focus back to the tyres. Swap both fronts to the back & vice versa.

In my opinion, it sounds more of a tyre issue than a suspension issue. But I could be wrong.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 11th October 2020 at 05:17.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 10:48   #2853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Is the car & tyres 3 yrs old?

What tyre pressure are you maintaining?

Apart from the tyres, check all the shocks, struts & their rubber bushings for visible leaks.

If you don’t find any leaks & nothing cracked/broken in the suspension, shift your focus back to the tyres. Swap both fronts to the back & vice versa.

In my opinion, it sounds more of a tyre issue than a suspension issue. But I could be wrong.
Hi, I got tyres changed last month to MRF Pirfenza. Car is 3 yrs old. Will check for visual leaks etc and update.
Thanks for replying
Old 11th October 2020, 12:28   #2854
BANNED

Quote:
Hi, I got tyres changed last month to MRF Pirfenza. Car is 3 yrs old. Will check for visual leaks etc and update.
Thanks for replying
Aren't MRF tyres harder? Dont know about this particular sub-brand though.

Edit - ask here too.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...de-thread.html (Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 11th October 2020 at 12:33.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 12:44   #2855
BHPian

Quote:
Did you notice the change in ride quality before or after the tyre change?

Are the new tyres the same size as stock tyres for the Indian Jazz - 175/65 R15? The Perfinza range is a tyre more oriented towards performance rather than ride quality/comfort, to a certain extent.

Most important of all, overinflation of any tyre will have a negative impact on ride quality. Always stick to manufacturer recommended tyre pressure, unless you know what you’re doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Aren't MRF tyres harder? Dont know about this particular sub-brand though.
They’re harder than Michelins, but then they’re designed for better performance, not for ride quality & comfort.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 11th October 2020 at 12:47.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 10:36   #2856
BHPian

Just did a solo TVM- HYD trip, due to covid situation I did it without halting at my cousins or friends place in Bangalore.

Total time: 20 hours including 3 hours of halt in between. Took break every 300 kms.
Overall mileage around 17
Total toll Rs. 1670

As usual obd meter is a great companion during my long drives and has been serving well from past 4 years. I used it with my accord before and now using it with my Jazz. Honda engine temperature management is really good, it keeps maintaining around 80 deg. I somehow feel grip level at rear is not great, has anyone tried 195 at rear and 175 for front. Currently the 175 mm continentals has covered 24k kms. As Jazz uses single channel abs, should not affect braking right?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-screenshot_20201111101626_gallery.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-20201107_122046.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-20201107_122039.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-20201111_104723.jpg  

Last edited by rahulskumar : 11th November 2020 at 10:58.
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 11:37   #2857
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Just did a solo TVM- HYD trip,

well from past 4 years. I used it I somehow feel grip level at rear is not great, has anyone tried 195 at rear and 175 for front. Currently the 175 mm continentals has covered 24k kms.
Mileage is T2T? (Tankful to tankful?) Or are you following the meter? Even with errors, it IS great.

Regarding tyres, are you following recommended 32 psi for front and 30 at rear?
Old 11th November 2020, 12:51   #2858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Mileage is T2T? (Tankful to tankful?) Or are you following the meter? Even with errors, it IS great.
Regarding tyres, are you following recommended 32 psi for front and 30 at rear?
I have not seen much delta in tankful to tankful and meter reading , its usually less than 0.5 km error. Calculating with tankful method I see 17.2 overall. For an automatic this is really good mileage. I usually see mileage above 18/19 when driven between 80- 100. Tire pressure is 32/33 , anything less I find the car sluggish. Recommended tire pressure is 33. Are you running 195 tires ?

Last edited by rahulskumar : 11th November 2020 at 13:14.
Old 11th November 2020, 17:29   #2859
BANNED

Quote:
I have not seen much delta in tankful to tankful and meter reading , its usually less than 0.5 km error. Calculating with tankful method I see 17.2 overall. For an automatic this is really good mileage. I usually see mileage above 18/19 when driven between 80- 100. Tire pressure is 32/33 , anything less I find the car sluggish. Recommended tire pressure is 33. Are you running 195 tires ?
I was clarifying the FE measurements t methodology because I find the MID is much better on the Jazz than what people say about mother vehicles in the below thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...splay-mid.html (How accurate is the Multi-Information-Display (MID)?)

(Oops. I did not get the 3rd pic. Is that the OBD? Any further info on that?)

I'm running stock tyres, and I the recommended tyre pressure at the rear is 2 psi lower. With stock tyres,2 psi more than recommended, and only the driver on board, the car can get bouncy. This is the case with any car - not just the Jazz. Is this the case here? I am not diagnosing or being authoritative, just pointing out a possibility. If you are using uniform pressure all around (I do) try using 2 psi lower at rear. That is, if front is 33, use 31 at rear. And see how you feel on roads you are familiar with. Consider upgrade only after that.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 11th November 2020 at 17:36.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 15:38   #2860
Senior - BHPian

Quick update on my Jazz AT:

I hit 3 years in November & since I had not done the 30 month service due to covid, I wanted to get the yearly done.

As part of the service, I wanted to get the automatic transmission oil replaced in an "abundant caution" move. I had been told it is 4 years / 80k km. I thought that since the oil is a key element and has a life even if the car is not used much, I will change the transmission oil in 3 years.

To be sure, I checked the Honda maintenance schedule and got the shock of my life!

See
Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz-service-schedule.jpg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz-service-schedule-2.jpg

The recommended interval is 2 years/ 40k km for transmission and they had in fact, missed a key maintenance element.

When I did the 24 month service they did not mention anything about not doing it. They had, however, put in the service invoice a note saying "CVT Oil Needs to be replace PNA"

So, this time, when I gave the car for service, I raised the issue. And asked that the warranty on the transmission be extended by 1 year as it was due to the their negligence that it was not done.

The Whitefield Honda manager, Mr. Magesh, pointed to that line and said "That means Part Not Available. Yes, we could have called you and told you later but it is your responsibility to remember." I know for a fact that they did not tell me anything about it and had only put the line there to cover their ass.

I have raised the issue to Honda Car India and they have given me a case # but after a flurry of calls & mails, the matter seems to have died with no resolution. I do keep reminding them once in a while.

Very disappointing (and expected) response from Honda & Whitefield Honda.

The issue is that I think fundamentally Magesh is a nice guy but this is done to cover for customers complaining about frequent & unnecessary oil changes. (even I feel a 6 month interval for engine oil change in this day & age is too much)

So, please be sure to get a written explanation of all TLAs!!

Another tip: I went ahead and asked them to send me a video of both the transmission oil change & the engine oil change. They did.

I am going to follow this as a best practice across all my vehicles.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 16:09   #2861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
The Whitefield Honda manager, Mr. Magesh, pointed to that line and said "That means Part Not Available. Yes, we could have called you and told you later but it is your responsibility to remember." I know for a fact that they did not tell me anything about it and had only put the line there to cover their ass.

I am going to follow this as a best practice across all my vehicles.
Shameless is an understatement, to describe the words of that ASC manager.

Something like this needs to be verbally explained to the customer with an ETA of the parts/fluids at the concerned dealership. Why is it your headache to follow up with the dealer?! You’re not in charge of their inventory.

Anyway, what’s the mileage of your Jazz at the moment?

Also, in the video they sent you, what was the colour of the 3yr old transmission fluid?

For your own knowledge - A rough guide to check the condition of transmission fluid (when checking used cars) is, if the fluid still has its colour easily discernible & if there are no dirty particles/debris in the fluid, there’s no cause for concern. However, if the fluid is blackish & contaminated with lots of debris, it’s a bad sign & the transmission has probably suffered damage.

You are well within your rights, however, to ask for an added year of warranty due to the dealer’s malfeasance.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 17th November 2020 at 16:10.
Old 17th November 2020, 17:59   #2862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Shameless is an understatement, to describe the words of that ASC manager.

Anyway, what’s the mileage of your Jazz at the moment?

Also, in the video they sent you, what was the colour of the 3yr old transmission fluid?
About 22k km

Difficult to make out in the video but darkish. Definitely not clear.

I am not very worried as the car has not really been used in the last year - about 4k km. And even otherwise, the usage is soft. Honda cars very rarely have mechanical issues.

But I am quite mad that they are deliberately doing this - the fact that they put in something in the invoice means that they have seen this before and are actively covering their backsides. This is definitely not oversight; it is deliberate.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 11:48   #2863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
About 22k km
Difficult to make out in the video but darkish. Definitely not clear.

But I am quite mad that they are deliberately doing this - the fact that they put in something in the invoice means that they have seen this before and are actively covering their backsides. This is definitely not oversight; it is deliberate.
I keep changing transmission fluid every 20000kms and it will be slightly discolored with a yellow tint. I think at this stage it can never be jet black as we don’t have carbon deposit like engine oil. I had similar issue at 40k service just after the lockdown where the dealer did not have brake pads. I handed over the Brembo pads but I'm not very happy when used with the OEM rotors. Now thinking whether to replace the rotor with Brembo or go back completely to the stock set up.

Last 2 weeks I covered around 5000 kms in my Jazz. Every year I visit the temple in Kollur. I just took this opportunity to complete the office and temple visit at one go.

1. TVM - HYD : 1320 kms in a day ( 17.2 kms /lit )

2. HYD - Kollur ( via Anantput ) : around 850 kms ( 15.5 kms /lit ) 3 people with luggage.
Roads from Shimoga and some stretch from Anantpur were broken in between but manageable.

3. Kollur - HYD ( via Mangalore - Bangalore ) : 1100 kms in a day ( 16.5 kms/lit )
Don’t even bother to drive Shiradi ghats near Mangalore, worst road I've driven in South zone. There are no roads for 100 kms. I was thinking the roads near Solapur were the worst but this just takes it to a new level.They have not repaired even after a year. The roads were in a much better condition last year.

Unfortunately, the front left continental side wall tore after hitting a pothole. This happened last Sunday around 6 pm and I could not find any good shop around. I knew the spare tire is 14 inch with a 120 km/hr speed restriction. With a fully loaded car I did not want to drive the remaining distance with this limitation. With no other option, I had to use the spare wheel for the remaining 800 kms My car is 2017 make but the spare is 2016 MRF and it was never used till date. Foot pump came handy to refill the spare with the recommended pressure. The spare tire did well but I had to drive below 100 due to the speed restriction. The contis have covered 26k kms in a 18 months and still had life to cover another 20k. I do a lot of highway riding and made up my mind to upgrade the spare wheel to 15 inches with similar speed rating. I wanted to retain the light steering and only the 175’s could help with this. As Jazz has single channel abs, I took the decision to upgrade the rear with 195 and keep the front tires with the stock set up. MC5 were not available, a new UC6 model was available. I went ahead with them, brought a new 15 inch steel rim for spare tire from them. The right front tire went in as spare. Both the 175 contis from rear moved to the front axle. The new 195's went to the rear. The 14 inch spare along with the rim will be used in our 18 year old Indigo. My uncle purchased this car in 2003 and has just covered 140k kms till now. Now we just use for local runs. The paint and metal quality is way better than my Honda Jazz and 2018 City cvt. Did I mention there are no rattles in a 18 year old car!! The 2018 City with just 9000 on board rattles more than my Jazz.

Total expense: Rs.12800
UC6 195/60 : Rs.5400 X 2
15 inch steel rim from Mobilio : Rs.1100
Remaining for wheel balance and alignment

With the 195's at the rear, there is improvement with the rear braking. The car does not dive forward under urgent braking. I cannot comment on the comfort level without being driven at the rear.

4. HYD - TVM ( via Madurai - Nagercoil ) : 1325 kms in a day ( 18.1 kms/lit ) . Mileage was hovering around 18.5 till I reached Nagercoil. Single person with plenty of luggage with 2 spare tires, 195/60 rear tires , 175/65 front . Car crossed 50000kms yesterday in 3.5 years. The vehicle had covered just 1000 kms in the first year.

I could not find any pic with the City alloys painted in black, this could have assisted me with the decision to paint the current alloys black. Let me know if anyone finds a pic. Can the paint withstand the heat from the front brakes or do I need to repaint every few years ?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-20201115_173630.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-20201117_143228.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-20201117_144534.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-20201117_145050.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-20201118_012042.jpg  

rahulskumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 17:19   #2864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do a lot of highway riding and made up my mind to upgrade the spare wheel to 15 inches with similar speed rating.

I went ahead with them, brought a new 15 inch steel rim for spare tire from them. The right front tire went in as spare.
Does the 15 inch tire + rim fit correctly without issues in the spare wheel well?
Old 22nd November 2020, 17:25   #2865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Does the 15 inch tire + rim fit correctly without issues in the spare wheel well?
Yes, no issues and even locks properly. I could not get hold of black steel wheels.
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks