Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2022, 23:43   #3106
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

To all amazing contributors and owners of Honda Jazz, thank you so much for your reviews, posts and insights shared. 207 pages of review! And I have gone through no less than 30 (most recent) pages already. The wisdom all of you have shared is very, very useful.

I just have a million rupee question (have been posting the same question on different threads, hoping that is not against Team BHP norms, else please advise and oblige):

We have liked Honda Jazz CVT in all respects, and would like to go with either VX CVT or ZX CVT. 3 questions for you, if you could please help:

1. Any idea if the LED headlights in ZX variant are significantly better than Halogen lights in VX? ZX variant also has LED fog lamps, whereas VX has DRLs in the fog lamp slots! As I understand it is still reflector setup in all variants (and not projector LED setup in any variant)

Answer to this would help us decide VX versus ZX. The price difference is almost 95K. Sunroof for us is good to have, but good headlights are a must have and fog-lights are really nice to have (Pune-Mumbai trips expected in monsoons where good lights would be a deal breaker)

Also, we want to keep the car ideally for 15 years or more unless if compelled otherwise (existing Santro Xing GLS just celebrated her 13th birthday, and is still running like a brand new car, so as you can see, I am a firm believer of selecting the available best and go really long-term with it!)

2. Honda is planning to discontinue Jazz. Considering however that it is a fantastic car in many respects, should we still buy it before it is officially discontinued? And (this is most important =>) would we continue getting spare parts and services for next 10-12-15 years?

Thanks in advance!
jaysheth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 14:48   #3107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post

2. Honda is planning to discontinue Jazz. Considering however that it is a fantastic car in many respects, should we still buy it before it is officially discontinued? And (this is most important =>) would we continue getting spare parts and services for next 10-12-15 years?
Should not be a major issue for a decade at least even if Honda shuts shop. If only Jazz is getting discontinued, it shares several parts with City models and even some with Amaze and should not be a problem at all.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 20:58   #3108
BHPian

Thank you Yieldway17 and other owners to put me at ease here!

An update: We booked the Honda Jazz VX CVT Pearl White last Saturday (17/6/2022). Please see the details here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5404242 (Honda Jazz ZX CVT | Practical family city hatch!)

Further update on our purchase: The car was already in transit and arrived the stockyard today. The PDI went smooth (at their stockyard) and the Team BHP PDI checklist really helped! While the PDI thread is great, there are many PDI versions: Word, PDF, excel etc. shared by fellow BHPians. I personally used this 14-page word version (ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List) (carried a printout of the same).

Very fortunately, their stockyard is less than 1 km from the showroom (just to contrast, I didn't have the courage to go to Bhiwandi when we had purchased our Santro Xing in Mumbai in 2009, hence had directly inspected at the dealer showroom back then. Fortunately that had gone very well too!). The odometer showed only 2 kms, and it somehow showed 3 kms by the time we were done with the PDI (I didn't drive for more than 300 m as we are not allowed to test drive the car yet)! Car was evidently brand new. Another pleasant surprise was that it had Bridgestone tyres (have read good words about Bridgestone and Michelin). All 4 tyres date were 2822 or 2722 (that is 28th / 27th week of year 2022, viz. July 2022 for all tyres. Not bad!). The spare tyre is an MRF and an inch smaller. Tyres have 1 year or 40,000 kms warranty (whichever comes first).

The car itself is September 2022 (chassis number decoding, thanks too the great work by Wildon here (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN))).

The battery was Amaron (with 1.5 year warranty), I personally prefer Exide over Amaron but they say whatever is available in the stock at the time of making the car ready is used by the company.

For underbody rubberized/anti rust coating they have quoted INR 3835 (5 year warranty) and for silencer coating, they have quoted INR 1350 (1 year warranty). I will go with both.

They are also strongly recommending laminating the whole area below floor mats + boot mats for INR 6K, saying it will protect the entire metallic area (where we place our feet + boot space), covered and stitched with waterproof soft material (black) which would be easy to clean + maintain and will further help prevent corrosion along with rubberized anti rust underbody coating, thereby protecting the car from both layers. Should I go with that?
jaysheth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 18:13   #3109
BANNED

Quote:
The battery was Amaron (with 1.5 year warranty), I personally prefer Exide over Amaron but they say whatever is available in the stock at the time of making the car ready is used by the company.

For underbody rubberized/anti rust coating they have quoted INR 3835 (5 year warranty) and for silencer coating, they have quoted INR 1350 (1 year warranty). I will go with both.

They are also strongly recommending laminating the whole area below floor mats + boot mats for INR 6K, saying it will protect the entire metallic area (where we place our feet + boot space), covered and stitched with waterproof soft material (black) which would be easy to clean + maintain and will further help prevent corrosion along with rubberized anti rust underbody coating, thereby protecting the car from both layers. Should I go with that?
I replaced the stock exide battery with Amaron after about 30 months. Car was used for 6-8 km daily during lockdown, but a few weeks after that, a 3-4 week idleness drained the battery. The replacement is a bit higher in AH rating. Both are gel batteries, and people say trickle charging won't work well.

The dealer will definitely push for many bells and whistles, and will call you "kanjoos" behind your back if you refuse. Beyond that, there is no harm if you don't do not buy the extras.

Only extra that you'll find really useful is a light below the door that lights up the ground with a Honda logo when the door is open. It might be useful. Costs a bomb though. It is more useful than the light that glows up the logo on the foot board - the part that is invisible when door is closed.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 19:25   #3110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

The dealer will definitely push for many bells and whistles, and will call you "kanjoos" behind your back if you refuse. Beyond that, there is no harm if you don't do not buy the extras.

Only extra that you'll find really useful is a light below the door that lights up the ground with a Honda logo when the door is open. It might be useful. Costs a bomb though. It is more useful than the light that glows up the logo on the foot board - the part that is invisible when door is closed.
Thanks BackSeatDriver. I believe you mean the "Jazz Logo Projector" for the front 2 doors. That costs INR 5500. To me they have offered 10% discount on many items. We went with the following accessories (so far):

1. Perforated seat cover (they strongly recommended and said if original seat is damaged or stained, nothing could be done. That scared me a bit ) => INR 12,650 list price (less 10% discount offered, so INR 11,385)
2. Front and Rear Corners Moulding => INR 4,150 (less 10%)
3. Body side moulding => INR 5,800 (less 10%)
4. Door edge garnish => INR 1000 (less 10%)
5. Floor lamination (including boot floor) => INR 6000 (less 10%)
6. 3M Underbody Rubberized Anti Rust Coating => INR 3,835 (no discount)
7. 3M Silencer Coating => INR 1,254 (no discount)

Total amount: INR 31k approx.

I fully agree that the dealer tries to push a lot of bells and whistles, and they did that in my case as well. But I actually found all these accessories to be really good and useful, especially since we plan to keep this car till eternity(!).
My overall experience with this dealer has been fantastic! We went to compare ZX versus VX variant just last Saturday (17/9). They said there was a vehicle in transit, if we could book right away (which we did). The vehicle arrived on Monday, as they had confirmed. I visited the stockyard twice, once for the PDI and once again today when I went to sign the RTO registration forms, and was happy to see the car getting loaded up (with the above-mentioned accessories) step by step. And we are getting the car delivery as early as tomorrow (22/9)! There are many horror stories around dealership / car purchase experience on Team BHP, but thankfully for us everything has gone extremely well so far, thanks to a prompt, professional and courteous dealership team. They created a WhatsApp group post our booking on 17/9 (with 1 representative each from sales team, accessories team, exchange team (for exchanging the old car), CRM team, and some senior managers) and they have been promptly resolving every query on that group! We are thankful!
jaysheth is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 12:39   #3111

Re: Long term ownership experience - used Honda Jazz CVT automatic

Thanks for the review VikramCS. It covered the important aspects.

Well few months back when I had booked WRV diesel, I could not get a guarantee from dealer about the delivery. Perhaps dealer SA was very keen to push the petrol as he said stocks for Petrol availability is high. I was bit skeptical on taking a petrol WRV due to its mediocre performance. However with my usage I can still opt for petrol.

At that point of time I requested a TD for JAZZ CVT considering it can used by my father and my wife. I noticed the width was not as big as WRV. The drive was smooth and tend to sit little lower in Jazz considering it as a Hatchback.

I noticed that the car was not holding in slopes when I was trying to park in my parking lot. I was very confident that any CVT comes with a creep or Hill hold function. In the brochure as it was not mentioned explicitly. Whereas Nissan Magnite has indicated in its brochure about Hill Hold.

When asked about this to SA he was not very sure.

Can you confirm if it has HILL HOLD function in built?
Old 22nd September 2022, 19:30   #3112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshmadhan View Post
I noticed that the car was not holding in slopes when I was trying to park in my parking lot. I was very confident that any CVT comes with a creep or Hill hold function. In the brochure as it was not mentioned explicitly.

Hiya

The Jazz CVT doesn't have Hill Hold Assist. However the CVT does hold on for a couple of seconds on medium inclines before rolling back. I would advise using the Handbreak method in a test drive vehicle on a steep incline( exits from underground parking in some buildings can help in replicating this scenario) to get a better picture

The 1.2 litre in WRV is a bit lethargic. The engine has to be kept above 2000 rpm to have decent performance. Overtaking in undivided roads will be a chore with the WRV 1.2 Litre NA Petrol

I would suggest a CVT considering the ever rising traffic in our cities.

From my test drive experience the WRV seems to have a higher turning radius radius (though both are of similar length)

The 1.5 litre Honda diesel engine powering WRV may be phased out soon
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 19:31   #3113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It doesn't but in most uphill situations the CVT holds the car pretty well. Probably your parking is pretty steep. Else from personal experience in normal MLCPs of malls/apartments & even in wayanad it held pretty well.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 20:41   #3114
BHPian

In my 2016 Jazz VX, from last week or so, turning the key to start engine doesn’t do anything, no sound nothing. All the other lights are lit up. If I turn off the and remove key and insert again and try, it works. Any idea what might cause it? Battery is just 2 years old, Amaron. And it happens randomly, not sure what tis causing it
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:32   #3115
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
turning the key to start engine doesn’t do anything, no sound nothing. All the other lights are lit up. If I turn off the and remove key and insert again and try, it works. Any idea what might cause it? Battery is just 2 years old, Amaron.
Tried with the spare key?

Since it is not a push to start, might be an issue with key wear or RFID embedded in the key. Using the spare might help identifying the issue.
Old 23rd September 2022, 14:18   #3116
BHPian

Quote:
I noticed that the car was not holding in slopes when I was trying to park in my parking lot. I was very confident that any CVT comes with a creep or Hill hold function. In the brochure as it was not mentioned explicitly. Whereas Nissan Magnite has indicated in its brochure about Hill Hold.

When asked about this to SA he was not very sure.

Well, I just tested this on my one-day old Jazz VX CVT. Our parking is in basement/lower ground (minus 1 level) and there is a proper slope to come to the ground level (level zero). Car was in D mode, I stopped it on the slope and released the brake (no handbrakes either). Started counting seconds. It did not roll back at all, even after 20 seconds. I was surprised, double-checked that the brakes are not applied, tried one more time and got the same results.

So yes, it does not roll backwards to my pleasant surprise. Will be easy on ghats like Mumbai-Pune or Pune-Mahabaleshwar. I now remember the SA had demonstrated such a feature during our test drive as well. Wonder why Honda is not publishing this as a feature, officially!
jaysheth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 15:28   #3117
BHPian

Hi Sureshmadhan, no Jazz CVT does not come with Hill Hold feature, though not sure about the latest model (Jazz underwent minor facelift, guess in 2019/2020). However, i have never faced issues in steep inclines or ghat-section climbs. The CVT holds on pretty well from rolling and suitable accelerator inputs is sufficient to continue the climb - so, do not miss HHA feature.

Have you already purchased the car or made a booking decision? Some unsolicited advice: my best friend has WRV (Petrol), but whenever we friends embark on boyz-only road-trips he prefers either mine or our other friend's car. I have also driven his WRV - though ride quality is good, the 1.2L engine feels puny on this heavy vehicle. In fact, according to me, the two drawback of WRV are: (a) Lack of powerful engine (b) No automatic
In summary, i wouldn't recommend a WRV Petrol. No experience with WRV diesel though...

Last edited by VikramCS : 23rd September 2022 at 15:32.
VikramCS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 17:48   #3118
BANNED

The CVT on the Jazz behaves well if you release the brakes gradually and will actually crawl well in bumper to bumper traffic. Haven't used hill hold, so can't say if this is same as hill hold.

If you want to make it stay still, don't take your feet off the brakes. Haven't experienced roll back with D mode and feet off brakes. In City.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 23rd September 2022 at 17:51.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 19:26   #3119
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I just tested this on my one-day old Jazz VX CVT. Our parking is in basement/lower ground (minus 1 level) and there is a proper slope to come to the ground level (level zero). Car was in D mode, I stopped it on the slope and released the brake (no handbrakes either). Started counting seconds. It did not roll back at all, even after 20 seconds. I was surprised, double-checked that the brakes are not applied, tried one more time and got the same results.

So yes, it does not roll backwards to my pleasant surprise. Will be easy on ghats like Mumbai-Pune or Pune-Mahabaleshwar. I now remember the SA had demonstrated such a feature during our test drive as well. Wonder why Honda is not publishing this as a feature, officially!
An update on this: Tried the hill hold scenario further at my work place on a slightly more inclined slope, and yes, it did start rolling back, though extremely slowly. I then pressed (regular) brakes and then slowly released them, and the car was stationary thereafter (did not roll back). Hope this will help you decide.
jaysheth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 19:49   #3120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramCS View Post

Have you already purchased the car or made a booking decision? Some unsolicited advice: my best friend has WRV (Petrol), but whenever we friends embark on boyz-only road-trips he prefers either mine or our other friend's car. I have also driven his WRV - though ride quality is good, the 1.2L engine feels puny on this heavy vehicle. In fact, according to me, the two drawback of WRV are: (a) Lack of powerful engine (b) No automatic
In summary, i wouldn't recommend a WRV Petrol. No experience with WRV diesel though...
I agree to this advice and would say this extends to more general scenarios as well. For instance, a Hyundai i20 1 litre turbo petrol is comparatively much easier and quicker to drive than a Hyundai Venue with the exact same engine. Many have further reported that a Venue IMT with 6th gear slotted does make it gasping for power requirement, as opposed to an i20 IMT with the exact same condition, simply because of the weight of the Venue versus i20. Coming back to WRV scenario, most car manufacturers in India have to settle for 1.2 litre engine and sub-4 meter length range to be able to offer more "tax friendly" cars to us. That's why we don't see 1.5 litre engine in Jazz, though that combo would have led to an even better experience, but would not be budget friendly as per current taxation norms in India. That's one reason why the "Honda City Hatchback" (also called "Honda Jazz Crosstar") that has been launched in some other countries will never see the light of the day in India, as there would be very few buyers with a hatchback with length of a typical sedan (4.3 m or more), and a more powerful NA engine. Launching that would cost even more than some of the premium SUVs. Honda had to decide to stay away from launching this in India (as per my study).

Lastly, Honda is planning to discontinue all of their diesel variants, hence WRV diesel will no longer be available anyways. To conclude, therefore, if hill hold is your concern, please don't worry about that for Jazz CVT at least, as everyone has posted here. Good luck!
jaysheth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks