Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:13   #1546
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
I assume that you are comparing it with 1.3 Scross. For someone who had driven Ertiga, 1.3 S-Cross will be good in comparison. However, from my Test Drives, 1.3 MJD is very lively in Ciaz, fair in S-Cross was a overkill for Ertiga.

The S cross is fair IMO. The difference i feel is in the 2000 rpm kick/shove. This shove is felt in the ciaz. In S cross all we have is a decent shove post 2500rpm (not a big kick - 1.6 and 1.3 fgt have this real kick). May be I might experience this after some run in. Else i am going for a tuning box/ Remap.
Old 2nd September 2015, 21:49   #1547
BHPian

Need suggestions from Bangalore folks!

I'm in the process of finalising alloys and tyres and have shortlisted a couple of models from HRS and Momo.

Can anyone suggest if there are dealers other than Hercules Tyres for the above brands? Hercules was recommended by Sai Mag Wheels (they apparently do not ship to Bangalore anymore), but my experience so far has not been very pleasant. Basically, the dealer is not consistent with buy back offers. For instance, he says the offer for stock alloys can be 10k or 20k! By the looks of it, appears he will not offer anything more than 10k!

Here's how the equation looks,

HRS alloys - (8200*4) = 32800 (No discounts!!, not even willing to discuss)

Stock alloy buy back = 10000 (anticipated)

Michelin Primacys - (9600*4) = 38400 (Best price!!)

Stock JK buy back = 16000

In summary, new alloys and tyres will cost me 45200 - is this a reasonable proposition?

Last edited by pannags : 2nd September 2015 at 21:53.
Old 2nd September 2015, 21:53   #1548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
In summary, new alloys and tyres will cost me 45200 - is this a reasonable proposition?
Take a look at this thread -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167770
vin11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 21:57   #1549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Here's how the equation looks,

HRS alloys - (8200*4) = 32800 (No discounts!!, not even willing to discuss)

Stock alloy buy back = 10000 (anticipated)

Michelin Primacys - (9600*4) = 38400 (Best price!!)

Stock JK buy back = 16000
The buyback of alloys and tires seems good in Bangalore( prices quoted were ~ 25K)
Michelin P 3ST too seems in the same range ( 9.6- 9.8K)

Not tried HRS alloys, 4-MSW wheels quoted range was ~ 46-50K (depends on model)
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 00:02   #1550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
...The horns went under the front bumper on the left side...
Not the best of the places - remember, that's exactly where water will stagnate in the road & you have a bigger probability of running this tyre thru water.

Quote:
...The installer did not want to cut the wires or change the stock location. Will ask the nexa service guys to fix it inside the bonnet during first service...
The best position is inside the engine bay or behind the twin slat grills. But the space available will play the final decision.

Quote:
...Planning to add a pair of red grills for highway runs
Guess you are overdoing it. Highway is not exactly where we tend to use the horn more, it's the city. That's from my personal experience. And twin tone itself will do a great job. If it were me, it would either be red grills or two tone, along with stock horn (with a switch to swap).

Edit :Two loud horns doesn't serve any purpose. If you wanna have some fun, go for melody maker which will give you different horn styles. You get around 8 patterns or so & can keep changing when you get bored with one style.

Else there are better ways to spend that cash

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd September 2015 at 00:09.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 06:40   #1551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Not the best of the places - remember, that's exactly where water will stagnate in the road & you have a bigger probability of running this tyre thru water.
Guess you are overdoing it. Highway is not exactly where we tend to use the horn more, it's the city. That's from my personal experience. And twin tone itself will do a great job. If it were me, it would either be red grills or two tone, along with stock horn (with a switch to swap).
Kerala highway is basically a large town with shops and settlements on either side. We do not have expressways here. Autorickshaws and slow bikers ply on these roads. Our highways have frequent intersections and small towns all along the way. They are all 30 to 45 m broad than the stipulated 90 m.
Thanks for the inputs. Will be changing the horn mount positions soon. Will install the stock horns with a changeover switch. So Red grills can wait and I can save some money.
sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 07:09   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Kerala highway is basically a large town with shops and settlements on either side. We do not have expressways here. Autorickshaws and slow bikers ply on these roads. Our highways have frequent intersections and small towns all along the way. They are all 30 to 45 m broad than the stipulated 90 m.
That is so true buddy! One of the only reasons why you take more time on the highways in Kerala than anywhere else. When I travel to trichur, it takes me less than 7 hours with 2 breaks to get there. The traffic is slow on the kerala highways and much of the time is spent on those highways. So a good horn is absolutely necessary. It's like people are having a fiesta on the highway.
Old 3rd September 2015, 07:23   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Good that MSIL is not slapping the variant badge on the S-Cross. The rear looks much cleaner this way. The Maruti Suzuki badge is also gone for good.

This move is now seen across manufacturers. VW, Hyundai everyone is doing it. And I like it.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 08:01   #1554
BHPian

While returning home from office yesterday evening, saw an S-Cross in flesh. The guy overtook me and based on the silhoutte seen through the corner of the eye, I thought it might be a Creta. Was very surprised to see a BIG S-Cross! Couldn't make out the version as there seem to be no badges apart from the S-Cross badge.

This car is really BIG and importantly from rear 3/4 it does look like a cross-over, no question about it! Surely, not just an overgrown hatch. I think it's fair to compare the car with Volvo D4; not for the looks but for the size at least.

I have to add though, the car looked very "unexciting" in white. I have a feeling, the darker shades would suit better.
Old 3rd September 2015, 08:07   #1555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
Couldn't make out the version as there seem to be no badges apart from the S-Cross badge.
You have spotted the DDiS200 Variant, the DDiS320 comes with the 1.6 badge.

S Cross Market response looks promising.

The S-Cross that was launched in August has received a good customer feedback with the first month reporting sales of 4,500 units through its 35 Nexa outlets.

Quote:
The crossover has received 10,000 bookings with the carmaker having set up 50 Nexa showrooms where the S-Cross will be retailed with about 1500 relationship managers having been appointed.
http://www.autocarpro.in/news-nation...id-models-9176

Last edited by ampere : 3rd September 2015 at 09:52. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 3rd September 2015, 13:51   #1556
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3M car care treatments can be very confusing. I think the paint sealant Volkman recommended is a very useful value add, but costs upwards of 50k if I remember correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Paint Sealant treatments for newer cars are cheaper rates at 3M as fastener levels are less since paint is fresh without debris.
When my Swift was new, IIRC, I paid 4K for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
Here's the confusion with 3M. They have UV protection (Rs. 5500). Under body protection (Rs. 4400). They say that UV protection is the paint sealant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
I will go with your advise and wait for a while before going for the 3M treatments. Thanks!
@Satishtv - Suggest you to get the paint sealant done at 3M. The quoted price for S Cross from 3M is INR 4098.( for a new car < 6 months)

From 3M website
Quote:
UV Protection - For new cars
Shield your car from UV rays with the 3M UV Protection. Keep your paint looking bright and protects it from natural oxidation. Our paint protection treatment ensures more durable and glossy paint coat.
If you are looking at PPF(Paint Protection Film) for Bumpers, etc (prone to scratches) the 3M rate is INR 532/sqft.

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd September 2015 at 14:09.
Old 3rd September 2015, 20:26   #1557
BANNED

Visited NEXA again but this time I was accompanied by BHPian Madhav14. We both took the TD of DDiS 320 and I was thrilled by the drive again!

Attached the price list for the S-Cross here in Hyderabad.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20150903_200706_1.jpg

Premium Silver still looks great as compared to Blue. Brown looks decent though.

TD Experience:

-- Loved the pull in all gears and I had to limit my throttle to keep-off from that push-back effect. The instantaneous FE (slider graph) was dancing side ways!

-- NO lag noticed in bumper-to-bumper traffic as described in the review. Or may be I am used to modulate my throttle/ play with gears as I have been driving the MJD since 4+ years with over 1.5 lakh kms.

-- Great seating potion and tghe view is brilliant. Ride at the rear is flat with good space after the front seat was adjusted to 5'11'. Boot space is great anyway.
  • 5 cars on display with good spacing around so that the cars can be checked properly by customers rather than hitting into one another;
  • All colours on display;
  • Separate area for Delivery of the car;
  • Small lounge for discussion and talking are made with magazines placed.

A few points as discussed with the RM:
  1. Around 60 cars delivered from 8th August till date and one was getting ready for delivery;
  2. Total bookings received so far is 155;
  3. 75%+ bookings are for DDiS 200 (Zeta) thanks to the ex-showroom pricing;
  4. Waiting periods are 3-4 weeks for DDiS 200 variants and 1-2 weeks for DDiS 320. Huge demand for the DDiS 200 due to the pricing factor that makes people shy away from DDiS 320.
  5. Ciaz is expected to get into NEXA loop in some months (Not sure how true it will be!)
  6. No buyback of alloys or tyres at the NEXA. All such deals need to be done outside and any upsize will void warranty.
  7. No accessories or customization options available currently. Later on they should be brought-in - Like alloy choices etc.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 20:48   #1558
BHPian

Here's some useful info for prospective owners - especially those who already own cars with a huge "no claim bonus" percentage - on how to carry forward your NCB without selling your old car.

Many thanks to TorqueHP, ghodlur for your precise pointers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueHP View Post
In my case what I did was:

1) Cancel my current insurance with Maruti (Oriental Insurance) with 50% NCB & request NCB letter (Maruti Insurance took care of this) - the NCB letter takes about a week to be delivered

2) Get a new policy from Maruti (Royal Sundaram) with 0% NCB with immediate effect.

3) Since I did this only a day before I received my new car, my new car insurer (BA) assured me that I can submit NCB letter later once I receive it and get the NCB discount as refund - though it took a while they eventually agreed to provide this as they had no grounds to not honour my NCB eligibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The cancelling of the Current Insurance does not happen overnight unfortunately. You will need to submit an application for the current Insurance cancellation and request for the NCB letter. Once the insurance is cancelled , you will need to buy a TPL only insurance for the Honda city as bare minimum requirement. This policy can be bought online too so the cover will start form the time the policy is issues. So this takes care of the Honda City Insurance.
Of course, the savings may not be substantial, but still be a decent 10k-15k, depending on the NCB and variant.

Mods: Please move/remove this post if it is not appropriate here.
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 21:55   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
[*]No buyback of alloys or tyres at the NEXA. All such deals need to be done outside and any upsize will void warranty.
Are you sure about the upsize clause that states warranty void?
Reason being, many owners will go in for the basic 205 to 225 mm width upsize of the rubber and some for the size upgrade too.

@Sandy - any insight on this?

Last edited by McLaren Roxx : 3rd September 2015 at 21:56. Reason: typo & correction
Old 3rd September 2015, 21:58   #1560
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Are you sure about the upsize clause that states warranty void?

Reason being, many owners will go in for the basic 205 to 225 mm width upsize of the rubber and some for the size upgrade too.
That's the first question I shot to the RM @ NEXA.

I asked him what if I do changes to the ICE setup like changing speakers etc, he was firm in his reply of loosing warranty.

Most Viewed